Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
The things that add credibility to this for me are a) Xavi seemingly wants to keep him at all costs, b) their supporters want to keep him, and that's important for their elected president, c) there was an apparently very reliable Barcelona journalist who has said all along that he is definitely not leaving and d) FdJ has said he's never been told he's leaving and that he doesn't want to leave. Plus saying he's already at the biggest club in the world is an odd thing to say if you think you are about to leave for another club that thinks they're the biggest.

All these things have given me enough pause for thought throughout, along with the sheer length of time it's took to just get to a stage where we've not even agreed fees or discussed the players wages.
So if all them things are true, why would Barca enter into negotiations and agree a fee with another club if they have no intentions of selling? It makes no sense at all and makes them look a little stupid to be fair.

As I say, if it was off, we'd know about it now. Yes the United side might not say anything tonight due to the Ronaldo news but you know some news would get out from the Barca side and be reported by their media guys.

UnitedFire

Well, there were tweets earlier saying the our guys have been confused by what Barca tell them and contradict themselves in the media. It kind of asserts that even we aren't fully convinced this is going to happen,but we wanted to try anyway.

Sources would have to have that info from people at United, who very much will control the narrative in the UK on this one. They won't let a whisper of info out on this if it's broken down, not just yet. We'll look like absolute buffoons and the supporters will hit a new low after the Ronaldo news too. It's not a good look for us.
Is it really a case of Ronaldo news too, or is that just too convenient. I know Ronaldo has been getting whored around by Mendes, but that's his job to keep an eye on the options.

The fact this news has come out today at the same time as Laporta has made the comments suggests to me the FDJ deal is off and Ronaldo has no confidence we can recover from this position.

The fact there are comments from Ronaldo about the lack of ambition suggests that we've had all the eggs in one basket and that's been crushed and we've done nothing else to suggest we have a clear plan.

It could otherwise have been that FDJ, Malacia and Martinez is not enough, but the timing is just way too convenient. Take into account the levers has made this a dynamic moving beast so plans could very easily have changed.

I call this deal off or we are throwing more money to get it done.

city-puma

Said it already 2 weeks ago.

There's an army of folks in here with their heads firmly buried in sand and don't want comparisons to Cesc or ADM.
PTSD, very serious. We should understand the damage from the trauma last season. For many, it’s hard at the moment.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Is it really a case of Ronaldo news too, or is that just too convenient. I know Ronaldo has been getting whored around by Mendes, but that's his job to keep an eye on the options.

The fact this news has come out today at the same time as Laporta has made the comments suggests to me the FDJ deal is off and Ronaldo has no confidence we can recover from this position.

The fact there are comments from Ronaldo about the lack of ambition suggests that we've had all the eggs in one basket and that's been crushed and we've done nothing else to suggest we have a clear plan.

It could otherwise have been that FDJ, Malacia and Martinez is not enough, but the timing is just way too convenient. Take into account the levers has made this a dynamic moving beast so plans could very easily have changed.

Reaching there :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Ronaldo isn't stupid enough to think 1 player is going to make all the difference. Whether we sign FDJ or not is not a reason why Ronaldo would stay or leave.

Drama queens.

Dazzmondo

I think we'll know whether this has hit a snag/been permanently derailed by tomorrow evening. If there's nothing on the deal potentially being at risk by say 10pm tomorrow I think we can assume everything is continuing as expected and the comments meant nothing. If there are suddenly a few reports about FDJ questioning the move with Ronaldo leaving, or being open to a wage reduction with Barca or anything along these lines, then I would start to get seriously worried.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Still, for comments that seem so final and damning, I've not seen anyone report on them or say it's off. All we've seen upto now is people saying Laporta seems to be saving face, laying the groundwork for blaming other people or restrictions etc.

He's even talking about signing other players and registering them... if the wage bill is that insane how are they doing it? Dembele is apparently renewing on a much lower wage, so if FdJ is staying then god knows how they've managed to get below the cap?

UnitedFire

Reaching there :lol:

Really?

You don't think the biggest player has an ear on the biggest transfer? And you don't otherwise think its very strange the timing of these comments 6 weeks after the season ended are otherwise strange and the Laporta comments are entirely a coincidence?

Is FDJ, Martinez, Malacia and maybe Antony a lack of ambition? And have we even said that is all.

Would the speed of transfers really cause Ronaldo to quit?

I just don't see how Ronaldos comments and FDJ are not linked.

It could well be that FDJ does sign, but it'll cost more, we definitely won't get Antony and that's the link, but there has to be something there.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
1. Of course Xavi is going to want a great player to stay.
2. Same as above.
3. One contrarian journalist despite literally all the others UK and Spanish saying the deal is close.
4. Speculation at this point to suggest he hasn't been told or he doesn't currently want to leave.
Pretty sure he said it himself within the last couple of weeks.

Keefy18

PTSD, very serious. We should understand the damage from the trauma last season. For many, it’s hard at the moment.
Hard for every United supporter right now, but I prefer to just face up to reality and accept our truly woeful situation.

Once folks accept it you'll find things a bit easier and I just chuckle away with every clusterfcuk at this point, its that or I would probably go insane.

pocco

loco
So if all them things are true, why would Barca enter into negotiations and agree a fee with another club if they have no intentions of selling? It makes no sense at all and makes them look a little stupid to be fair.

As I say, if it was off, we'd know about it now. Yes the United side might not say anything tonight due to the Ronaldo news but you know some news would get out from the Barca side and be reported by their media guys.
Covering their bases before working out how they refinance the whole club, in the event they desperately need to sell. Would explain why it's dragged on, as they probably ideally want to keep him but just didn't know if they could afford to. Now they do.

Berbaclass

Hard for every United supporter right now, but I prefer to just face up to reality and accept our truly woeful situation.

Once folks accept it you'll find things a bit easier and I just chuckle away with every clusterfcuk at this point, its that or I would probably go insane.
If you want to wallow and be negative go do it somewhere else.

Berbaclass

We'll he's on holiday for 3 weeks now, so I doubt much has changed. If they didn't communicate with him as of 2 weeks ago, then there's every chance they'll just wait until he's back. As reports in Spain recently have suggested.
Recent reports suggest ETH spoke to him and he it open to a move.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

Really?

You don't think the biggest player has an ear on the biggest transfer? And you don't otherwise think its very strange the timing of these comments 6 weeks after the season ended are otherwise strange and the Laporta comments are entirely a coincidence?

Is FDJ, Martinez, Malacia and maybe Antony a lack of ambition? And have we even said that is all.

It could well be that FDJ does sign, but it'll cost more, we definitely won't get Antony and that's the link, but there has to be something there.
Because he wanted new signings?? The window has been open for 3 fecking days! That tweet reads like it's the final day of the window and we've signed no one.

I'm sorry, I do like Fab, but the simple fact is, Ronaldo doesn't want to play in the Europa Leage and wants to play in the Champions League for his last few seasons.

I'm fairly certain that Ronaldo won't have a hotline to the negotiation teams where they'll be keeping him upto date on everything that's been done! Yes he might get a bit more info than we do, but he's not going to get a day to day running commentary

ForeverRed1

This one ain’t happening .

Really?

Oh he knows more than anyone of us or any tier one journalist. He will know a fair bit of what is going on at the club.

UnitedFire

Ronaldo isn't stupid enough to think 1 player is going to make all the difference. Whether we sign FDJ or not is not a reason why Ronaldo would stay or leave.

Drama queens.
OK sherlock, why else for the comments about a lack of ambition?

1 player could very easily make all the difference if he has had conversations about the plan b/c and that's isn't convincing.

It would be naive to assume Ronaldo doesn't have more insight than most. Mbappe has plenty of influence and I'm sure Ronaldo has at least got the ear on what's happening.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Covering their bases before working out how they refinance the whole club, in the event they desperately need to sell. Would explain why it's dragged on, as they probably ideally want to keep him but just didn't know if they could afford to. Now they do.
Nah I don't buy that at all. There's a lot of time in the window to sell a player and they would have known by 30th June whether they can keep him or not. You don't negotiate for 2 months, agree a fee then back out for no reason. It makes no sense. Plus why would they unsettle their own player by negotiating his sale? Imagine how he must feel, knowing that if financial issues get worse again he's a goner. He's on borrowed time at Barca as it is it seems

Berbaclass

This one ain’t happening .

Oh he knows more than anyone of us or any tier one journalist. He will know a fair bit of what is going on at the club.
Ronaldo? Who we're signing is irrelevant. He wants to play in the Champions League, Ronaldo is only concerned with Ronaldo.

pocco

loco
Recent reports suggest ETH spoke to him and he it open to a move.
It's well established that he'd rather stay. If they do in fact give him the option of staying, even in reduced terms, he'll take it. He was reportedly already taking a reduction to come here anyway.

Doubt he'd dismiss ETH at this stage though. He's still on holiday and will probably sort things once he's back. But he himself said he's never been told by Barca that they don't want him and he's already at, what he considers, the biggest club in the world. If he gets back and is then told, then sure he'll join us or whoever his best option is. But until that point he's seemingly playing it diplomatically.

UnitedFire

Because he wanted new signings?? The window has been open for 3 fecking days! That tweet reads like it's the final day of the window and we've signed no one.

I'm sorry, I do like Fab, but the simple fact is, Ronaldo doesn't want to play in the Europa Leage and wants to play in the Champions League for his last few seasons.

I'm fairly certain that Ronaldo won't have a hotline to the negotiation teams where they'll be keeping him upto date on everything that's been done! Yes he might get a bit more info than we do, but he's not going to get a day to day running commentary
The season ended 6 weeks ago. Why would we hear about him wanting to leave now?

Also if Mbappe contractually has control over transfers do you not think Ronaldo at the bare minimum has a contractual right for something very close to a running commentary.

Exactly as you said he has limited time left and needs to make the right decisions for him.

As I said on one of my other posts. If this came out 4-6 weeks ago I'd completely agree with you. It is what it is, but today with the Laporta comments. It just seems reactive and too convenient.

DutchCruijff

This screams of De Jong agreeing to a heavy paycut to stay at Barca.

Would be incredibly fiendish of De Jong & Barca if they've mugged off United like this.

pocco

loco
Nah I don't buy that at all. There's a lot of time in the window to sell a player and they would have known by 30th June whether they can keep him or not. You don't negotiate for 2 months, agree a fee then back out for no reason. It makes no sense. Plus why would they unsettle their own player by negotiating his sale? Imagine how he must feel, knowing that if financial issues get worse again he's a goner. He's on borrowed time at Barca as it is it seems
Because the window is limited and they would have needed sales to meet deadlines and even sign/register players. It's a smart move to plan for all eventualities. And they clearly haven't unsettled him as they've never communicated to FdJ that they want to sell him. He's even said he's been told the opposite by Xavi. He probably knows the situation ie they will plan for him having to be sold but that they will avoid it if possible.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

This screams of De Jong agreeing to a heavy paycut to stay at Barca.

Would be incredibly fiendish of De Jong & Barca if they've mugged off United like this.
Again it seems like they're just going by the comments made this evening.

It's getting tedious now to be fair. Fab said 2 hours ago the situation as of today is the same as it was before... Still negotiating.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Yet he doesn't say what has changed :lol:
Because chances are nothing has changed. I just don't get how, if something has changed massively, those who seem to know what's going on (Fab, Romero etc) have said nothing. Romero especially seems to like breaking news as soon as he gets it haha

Berbaclass

Gerard Romero would be ******* live on air if Frenkie had turned the mighty Manchester United down for little Barcelona and agreed to play for free.

sixdwarf

Drama queens.
I am guessing it is more to do with the lack of anything happening recruitment-wise amidst a huge exodus rather than one player.

Let's face it, United are not an attractive proposition for hungry players.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Gerard Romero would be ******* live on air if Frenkie had turned the mighty Manchester United down for little Barcelona and agreed to play for free.
All those that would know, seem to be quiet at the moment, and you know for sure after hearing them comments, they'd be scrambling for information.

BlueHaze

All rubbish that many of us was sucked into because of some shithouse twitter/twitch jackass. We all know these days negotiations never take this long. A month of negotiations. Who the feck are these clowns trying to fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.