Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It baffles me how many people on this site have no idea how basic negotiations / leverage works. Of course it's a negotiation tactic. He holds the cards. If he says anything else he loses his leverage for the owed wages.
That's not how loyalty bonus works. It'll only be waived if you officially hands a transfer request. Saying he'd like a move on the media doesnt count.

And saying you want to move doesnt mean they can freeze your salary just like that.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
This isn't about deferred wages, that is a narrative the British press are going with. Barca will activate more levers soon, those levers give us plenty of money. Do people really think, after how much Barca are trying to force him to leave, we wouldn't use some of that money to just pay him these wages 'owed'? The deal is agreed between the clubs and we don't need every penny of the fee to sign players as our main problem is getting his salary off the books. Frenkie plain and simple doesn't want to leave and both clubs are up shits creek.
How are you getting salary off the books if you’re selling one player and sign 5 more?

And why do you need money coming in from his transfer to pay him what is owed? You clearly found money lying around to get Raphinha and Lewa. Was €100m burning a hole in your pocket?

cyberman

Exactly. He will need to get a deal done with them first and foremost. After that I am sure everything will work out fine.

It’s negotiating and this is his strongest card. He will never let this go without a fair exchange (meaning he gets what his owed).
What deal? There hasn’t been any reports of attempted deals being made. There’s vague reports about wage reduction but that’s all they are, vague reports. Has anything actually come out about FDJ and Barca talking terms?
Only deal I see is the one he signed which signifies he wants to be at Barca for the long haul. There is nothing here to suggest he wants to move other than this negotiation angle that has been talked into fact.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Where did I say were due a briefing today?

It's just my personal opinion that we should, but... I expect we'll stick with this like the idiots we are for another while yet at least.

If Barca have funds to register the players then its over. He has now bargaining power at all.

If Barca don't get the 300m plus he can say well I stay and you don't get your new players.

Lads, you're being beyond pedantic as another poster stated. It's semantics!

If you genuinely think tier 1 journo's are running done deal stories of him to Barca without him being registered you're extremely naive.

Lewa is the gem in the crown for them this summer, the rest are add on's, hence Barca agree to pay in full up front. No messing about.
Raphinha went on tour with them without being registered

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This has dragged on for so long and gotten so messy that it's starting to turn in to a win win. He comes to us and we get an amazing player or he stays and we get the popcorn out and watch the wold burn.

I'm desperate for him to come but if he stays and F's them over that will soften the blow.

With that said, I still think we will get him though.
You think Barcelona fate hinges on whether they sell FDJ or they're bust?

Keep dreaming.. they're in deep shit but not selling De Jong doesnt mean they're gonna go into administration

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

If you genuinely think tier 1 journo's are running done deal stories of him to Barca without him being registered you're extremely naive.
Sweet fecking Jesus - they’ve signed numerous players they couldn’t immediately register. What are you talking about?

OleksUsykUD

Oh some people on here are absolutely dreaming and making story over story, just to make themselves feel better that Frankie want to come here, when in reality, he just doesn't want.

People should understand that football is not the only factor. Spain is a great country to live in, especially in Barcelona. Summer is great, chicks are hot, laws are lighter, especially for rich people. Now compare i to England, and the answer is clear.

People that wan to move in a certain club, and this is the players we should be looking at, are like Raphina. Barcelona didn't want to pay the full price and was terrible in showing they really want this player, Chelsea paid the full money, give him higher salary, but the guy wanted Barca and that was it. He was willing to wait and sign for lesser fee, just to go there. Kinda the same story with Lewandowski. Adame Traore is another example. He even lesser his salary just to go there big time. And Tottenham wanted this guy and offering him way way higher salary.

Now Frankie has never said he want to leave. He actually all the time said he wants to stay there, and Barcelona is the best club for him and so on. All the real information is about that. Romano also said that the player is happy in there and don't want to move.

If he moves to us, is not because he is eager to come here, but because he was showed the door and forced.

As far as the deferred payment/salary. Barcelona are obligated to pay him. The people that are trying to make he is saying he want to stay because of it, are no brainers. They own him that, no matter if he was to stay or not. This is a money they own him by contract to date, so it doesn't matter if he wants to stay or not.

We should have moved from this transfers long ago. And i don't believe for a second that de Jong has given any guarantees to ten Hag or our board. If that was the case he would have already agree with the personal teams and waiting for Barcelona to agree the fee.
But the reality is completely different. Most probably Barcelona gave us assurance they will sell him and he will move, but reality turns out to be a bit different, isn't it ?

Lastly i don't see anything special in Frenkie de Jong. He never fulfil his potential, he is 3-4 years older compare to when Barcelona take him, and when there was a big hype around him, big hype that he failed to achieve. And yet we are wasting huge time on him, and paying them more than for what they brought him at first place, when he is older and not fulfil his potential.

We should have at least 2-3 alternative for every transfer target we have, otherwise this is bad business. Just look at Tottenham and their director Paratici, the guy is lining like a 5 player for a 1 position that they want.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just fear without one we are too lightweight
Could be.

But ETH's Ajax teams have generally looked lightweight. See his 5ft 9/5ft 10 centre-back pairing and his use of Schone (who I think was a converted winger/am) as De Jong's midfield partner in their CL run. He even occasionally (though more rarely) used our own VDB as a partner to FDJ.

Think people are going to have to get used to the idea that that's where the manager inclinations lie. He's only going to adjust to the PL so-much, especially given he inherited one of the physically biggest squads in the league as is.

RkkMan

But what if ten Hag doesn't want anyone else, and it's like the whole Pep and Thiago thing at Bayern years ago from the infamous Thiago saga - "It's de Jong or no one" "I don't want anyone other than de Jong, the board knows my request" etc etc.
If Ten Hag wants nobody else then he has himself to blame when we inevitably have another bad season due to that decision.
FDJ is a World Class CM but a line has to be drawn and if this fiasco becomes untenable we have to eventually walk and get someone else. Even Pep walked from Koulibaly, signed Dias who's of a completely different profile and still found a way to make him into the CB he wanted winning 2 trophies and reaching a CL final in the process

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Where did I say were due a briefing today?

It's just my personal opinion that we should, but... I expect we'll stick with this like the idiots we are for another while yet at least.

If Barca have funds to register the players then its over. He has now bargaining power at all.

If Barca don't get the 300m plus he can say well I stay and you don't get your new players.

Lewa is the gem in the crown for them this summer, the rest are add on's, hence Barca agree to pay in full up front. No messing about.
I didn't say you did say we were due one, i was referring to the fact you said with those two pieces of news today, we should walk away. Now that these news pieces have broken and are out, it's safe to assume that if we have no way of signing him now Barca are apparently financially secure, we can expect us to drop our chase of him and brief that we're walking away, can we not?

All i'm saying in return is if Barca genuinely don't need to sell, they'll pull the plug on the deal. The fact they haven't, tells me that things aren't as rosy with this lever as they'd like people to believe they are

YikesSchmeics

What leverage does he have when it's reported barca can register all players after second lever is activated? Let's say for argument sake this is true yeah? Right what leverage does he have? The only leverage he had was they needed him to be sold to register players. Now he stays and gets his money anyway

Well first of all, we will see if the 2nd lever is real or a bluff. That's Barcelonas leverage, or attempt to gain leverage. It's in their interest to maintain that they are not in financial disarray (for a large number of obvious reasons) and therefore they will play the card of saying to FDJ that he won't play.

FDJ right now, even if he was from Salford, and a lifelong red about to live his dream, would be daft to do anything other than what he is doing.

It will all come down to who has the strongest hand and who blinks first. If this lever is real then it strengthens Barcas hand and weakens FDJ, and if not, then it is the reverse.

I expect this will go on for at least a few more weeks, but I hope I'm wrong.

As for the whole buying players who want to play line. FDJ knows ETH system and I have no doubt will be ultra professional and grow to love the club in time. He would transform the team and our ability to play out from the back. That for me is the key thing. You sit and you wait to get the right target. Liverpool did it with van Dijk. They waited 6 months instead of shifting to an alternative and I've no doubt they are glad of that now.

Patience lads. I think we will get him and in 5 years time hopefully we won't care how many weeks it took.

Becks_VII

Can we use this if he doesn't join??

De Jong Jong time ago, I can still remember how that window made me cry.
And we knew if ETH had his chance, that he could make those muppets dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while..
But september made me shiver, with every transfer tweet I'd consider,
Bad news on the doorstep, this would never happen to Pep Guardiola is my idol Pep,
I cant remember if I cried when heard about our offer he denied,
Something touched me deep inside, the Day, our De Jong thread died.

So bye bye Frenkie thread, all the muppets slayers must be happy its dead,
They told us walk away, Move on, somebody else we can entice....
Maybe we can sign Declan Riiiiiice.

Zlatans Knee

How do we manage to do this to ourselves every single year? At this stage I will be very surprised if we end up getting FDJ and that is a real shame because I think with Martinez and Eriksen we would be well on the way to having a press resistant spine to our team for the first time in yonks.

Newtonius

If Barce really wanted him out why would they take him on the pre season tour if a fee is agreed? Not only do they have to pay him those wages and there is a chance of injury but it ultimately signals to FDJ that there is still room in the squad for him.

Think i am just going to look at the tweet thread or something this feels like it is going to drag drag and drag while breaking down somewhere, most likely with him staying.

YikesSchmeics

That's not how loyalty bonus works. It'll only be waived if you officially hands a transfer request. Saying he'd like a move on the media doesnt count.

And saying you want to move doesnt mean they can freeze your salary just like that.
The issue isn't his loyalty bonus, it's the deferred wages from 2021 that he feels he is due. Not even remotely the same thing.

Barca feel that they agreed to reimburse it at the end of his contract and that him leaving would void that. FDJ camp knows they need to sell so they dig in and say he wants to stay and have no doubt said to Laporta that he wont leave unless he is paid the deferred wages, think Goodfellas "F you, pay me". Nothing to do with loyalty bonus, at all. To publicly even hint that he wants to leave would weaken his position. Its really not that difficult.

Idxomer

The thought of yet another season without a proper CM brings me to the verge of tears
It's insane that there are some posters arguing it's fine to go next season without a new midfielder when ideally we should've been going for at least two.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why would Barce take him on the pre season tour if a fee is agreed? Not only do they have to pay him those wages and there is a chance of injury but it ultimately signals to FDJ that there is still room in the squad for him.

Think i am just going to look at the tweet thread or something this feels like it is going to drag drag and drag while breaking down somewhere, most likely with him staying.
Just cause you leave him out of the tour doesn’t mean you can’ stop paying his wages.

Walters_19_MuFc

It's been reported by reliable United sources that there are other options should De Jong prove unobtainable but that doesn't stop people peddling this "we have no plan B" bullshit.
Exactly, but that should go without saying. A team always has around 3 to 4 options, just encase plan A doesn't pan out.

I believe players like, Neves, Fabian, Tielemans, although not as good, will be options for us, if the De Jong deal doesn't go ahead.

Stadjer

But what if ten Hag doesn't want anyone else, and it's like the whole Pep and Thiago thing at Bayern years ago from the infamous Thiago saga - "It's de Jong or no one" "I don't want anyone other than de Jong, the board knows my request" etc etc.
That would be a good thing. It shows ten Hag has a clear vision and doesnt just want to spunk money because he can. It wouldnt be a good thing if he doesnt get the midfielder he needs and it would really suck because de Jong would fix so many problems of our midfield.

I dont understand that people want to walk away from the deal. Frenkie de Jong is the best midfielder on the market and this is the chance to sign him. Barcelona is a mess, we have Erik ten Hag.. it is the opportunity to sign him. I dont want to waste a lot of money on some far (inferior) player like Neves, Tielemans or Rice. If anything, Iqbal looked like de Jong in his playstyle from the clips from pre-season. Its not perfect and he likely wont be ready but keeping the money instead of moving away from the tactic ten Hag wants to play because he needs to fit in a different type player would not be good in my opinion.

Only reason to walk away from the deal is if Frenkie de Jong says he doesnt want to join but since he knows Erik ten Hag, worked together and both are Dutch im sure they had (informal) contact where de Jong told ten Hag than he is willing to join Manchester United. Otherwise this whole thing would have been pointless in the first place...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agree with you mate

Be nice if the Glazers would ring fence the money and release extra funds to plan without him. If his situation changes, we could swoop, if not no harm done.

Sadly don’t think they will though.
This is not an 'RVN picked a 6 month injury so we'll wait situation'. First of all there's no 'Andy Cole' in our midfield who can keep carrying the can up until next season. Secondly RVN didn't humiliated us by constantly reminding us that Barca is his dream team. We need investment on the pitch not in the bank.

If I was Arnold I'd give Barca-FDJ a week to sort this crap and then move to other targets.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Why would Barce take him on the pre season tour if a fee is agreed? Not only do they have to pay him those wages and there is a chance of injury but it ultimately signals to FDJ that there is still room in the squad for him.

Think i am just going to look at the tweet thread or something this feela like it is going to drag on and break down somewhere, most likely with him staying.
Urghhh because he's their player and they're free to do whatever they want with him. Just because a fee is agreed doesn't mean he can't travel with them. Whats saying he'd even play? He might spend the whole time in the stands or on the bench. But for as long as he's employed by Barcelona and under contract to them, they can do whatever they want

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
then we should sign no one and he'll foot the responsibility of such action. There are some top players around. The world doesn't rotate around the Dutch league.

Walters_19_MuFc

Honestly, I don't. If we do, they're so far off the radar and down the priority list, they might as well not even be there. We want De Jong, quite clearly and so far above anyone else.
Yeah, thats obvious. However, ten Hag and his staff would have made a plan if this transfer doesn't happen. That's generally what happens.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
then we should sign no one and he'll foot the responsibility of such action. There are some top players around. The world doesn't rotate around the Dutch league.
I think it shows that he's confident that we'll get him and that he's prepared to wait because he knows it'll happen sooner or later.
He knows more than we know and he has daily contact with agents and the player. If he was told at any point that it wasn't going to happen, then it's over and i'm sure he'd call it a day

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Why would Barce take him on the pre season tour if a fee is agreed?
Because he is, as things stand, contracted to Barcelona and they want him ready for the new season in case the deal falls through this summer. But that doesn't mean they don't want to sell him and use the proceeds to fund Lewa and Silva - among others apparently.

Honestly, I've looked at this "going on tour" revelation from multiple angles and I struggle to see how it impacts this transfer in any way. Why are people so concerned about it?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Because he is, as things stand, contracted to Barcelona and they want him ready for the new season in case the deal falls through this summer. But that doesn't mean they don't want to sell him and use the proceeds to fund Lewa and Silva - among others apparently.

Honestly, I've looked at this "going on tour" revelation from multiple angles and I struggle to see how it impacts this transfer in any way. Why are people so concerned about it?
Because a fee is agreed they're convinced that he should be sat on his arse at home until the wage issue is resolved, which could take ages and when it finally is resolved and he comes to us completely out of fitness, they'll he complaining that he should have done more to keep fit. Oh and people seem to think that when a fee is agreed, the player is no longer under contract to the selling club and they shouldn't play them incase of injury etc

Status
Not open for further replies.