g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
They can ship plenty of players, but not on the wages they are on at Barça at all, this list of players left out of the squad is incredibly unattractive. They’d likely have to ship on loan and subsidise their wages.

So once again, FDJ wages due to deferred are extreme, as are a few Barça legends. The salary cap won’t allow a situation where FDJ stays on his current deal.
How are you so sure? Have you looked at all the numbers?

Umtiti was signed in a period when sky was still the limit in Barcelona. Aubameyang and Memphis as mentioned are not playing for candy bars and Mcdonalds vouchers. I'm pretty sure De Jong doesn't earn more than all of them together.

Not selling De Jong will just block their possibilities to sign Bernardo as well. Getting rid of De Jong's wages is the easiest solution and provides much more possibilities than moving other players. Their perfect scenario is therefore to get rid of De Jong and executing their plan A. However if the situation with De Jong can't be resolved, a plan B could easily be to sell Aubameyang (alongside Memphis and Umtiti) and forget about Bernardo instead. Which would also explain them taking Frenkie on tour, cause not doing so would just hurt their plan B.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Annoying that we're gambling again instead of going for the sure things.
The sure things that we can get aren’t good enough. We need to gamble on players like De JONg to take us to the next level. He is a champions league player and we are currently not a champions league team.

WPMUFC

Think the thing with those two is they come up with the odd spectacular goal. That's it. ETH wants more than that. Neither would come cheap and he doesn't want them, he want Frenkie.
i just don't understand what the "move on" and the "Neves or Tielemans" crowd want when it's painfully obvious that it's FDJ or bust and we are likely going to leave a "b-tier" replacement till the last possible second. How many pages are we going to fill with people asking for something that just isn't going to happen? :houllier: :confused:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How are you so sure? Have you looked at all the numbers?

Umtiti was signed in a period when sky was still the limit in Barcelona. Aubameyang and Memphis as mentioned are not playing for candy bars and Mcdonalds vouchers. I'm pretty sure De Jong doesn't earn more than all of them together.

Not selling De Jong will just block their possibilities to sign Bernardo as well. Getting rid of De Jong's wages is the easiest solution and provides much more possibilities than moving other players. Their perfect scenario is therefore to get rid of De Jong and executing their plan A. However if the situation with De Jong can't be resolved, a plan B could easily be to sell Aubameyang (alongside Memphis and Umtiti) and forget about Bernardo instead. Which would also explain them taking Frenkie on tour, cause not doing so would just hurt their plan B.
Trouble with Umtiti is nobody wants him as his injury record is atrocious. Not sure people would want Auba for the money he earns and the attitude. That leaves Memphis.

Castia

Sounds about right, and if we end up with Neves and Tielemans and they end up being absolutely bang average for us, people will be whinging and saying why did we give up on de Jong.
True but we have to be careful if this deal goes right towards the end of summer and collapses we’ll struggle to even get a Neves or Tielemans their clubs will want outrageous fee’s after the season starts.

DomesticTadpole

i just don't understand what the "move on" and the "Neves or Tielemans" crowd want when it's painfully obvious that it's FDJ or bust and we are likely going to leave a "b-tier" replacement till the last possible second. How many pages are we going to fill with people asking for something that just isn't going to happen? :houllier: :confused:
He wants this lad, just think it is him or nothing. Go for the best, stop settling for second best.

OmarUnited4ever

Yep... they first said something along the lines of:

"de Jong doesn't want to go to United, he quite likes the idea of Chelsea and will do everything possible to make that happen" That was when the Chelsea links occured first

"de Jong isn't interested in Chelsea at all and if he was to leave FC Barca, then his priority is Manchester United" That was when the Chelsea links dried up

"de Jong is open to leaving the club, but there is absolutely no chance he wants to go to United and he has told EtH this as has his agent" That was their last "update" and they've stuck with it since

Now it's everything is pointing towards him staying. They need banning, and quick
Mate, you are way behind, now the throw Bayern's name in the mix.

DomesticTadpole

True but we have to be careful if this deal goes right towards the end of summer and collapses we’ll struggle to even get a Neves or Tielemans their clubs will want outrageous fee’s after the season starts.
They will ask for outrageous fees now.

WPMUFC

Have people starting prepping themselves that this could actually be FDJ or bust like Sancho round 1?

I mean, folks assume a back up. But i seriously doubt it now. ETH wants FDJ and i don't think we have a cheap, suitable replacement lined up to cover. In fact I think ETH could be so "FDJ or Bust" that he'll chance McFred or give a youth promotion.

Berbaclass

I would rather sign nobody at this point if we don't get Frenkie. Neves/Tielemans would only improve us short term IMO. De Jong stays in the team for 5+ years.

Woziak

This will happen we’re in past our balls now with this whole saga. All I’ll say is that remember when we signed varane on the 15th August, we had been continuously linked with him over and over and eventually he came. I’d imagine just before the season starts we’ll get a here we go and sometime after the Brentford game we’ll get a confirmation
We did indeed and many fans thought we finally had a world class CB, the final part of the jigsaw, when others knew the midfield was still bottom 6 in PL at best.

I hope for ETH sake his gamble with FDJ pays off, if it’s even late August so be it. We still need to use the next 3/4 weeks to get other business done. Players who will not play this season Need to be sold to raise money. The club should be looking to offload - AWB(15), Axel(8)Taith Chong(7), P Jones, E Baily or V Lindelof(20), Loans for Amad, Hanibal
We should keep, Savage, IQbal, Shoretire and F Pellistri Is currently better than Elanga and Amad. We need to go buy Antony as a priority and a right back, with a contingency play of T Tilemans or Sangare if FDJ goes wrong.

WPMUFC

I would rather sign nobody at this point if we don't get Frenkie. Neves/Tielemans would only improve us short term IMO. De Jong stays in the team for 5+ years.
Yeah i'm actually in that camp now. I'm much more convinced that this is "FDJ or Bust" and if it's bust he'll chance McFred or give a youth promotion.

SATA

30M for Tielemans as a squad player till we get Frenkie wouldn’t be a bad deal to be honest. The Caf would self combust if McFred starts the first league game again

I agree on Neves. For the mooted 70-80M to get him, we must stay away

Berbaclass

I don't see Frenkie as a gamble at all. Martinez/Malacia are gambles. We know for a fact Frenkie is up to the level and will slot into the system with no problems.

Calling him a gamble is lazy journalism. If ETH has personally spoken to him multiple times and Frenkie has given him his word he wants to join then how is it a gamble in that sense either?

Berbaclass

30M for Tielemans as a squad player till we get Frenkie wouldn’t be a bad deal to be honest. The Caf would self combust if McFred starts the first league game again

I agree on Neves. For the mooted 70-80M to get him, we must stay away
30 million wasted. In a few years he'll be one of them players who doesn't play anymore and we can't shift.

Matt851

It’s really weird. It’s like the constant assertions that we’re mid table and half of our team wouldn’t get into relegation battlers, whilst we’re finishing at worst 6th and being deemed underperformers.

We’re still a big, massive club. We’ve plenty going for us in every sense, people mock stuff like the “x amount of Instagram followers” but to a lot of players it’s important to grow their own brand! They want to retire at 35 so the more endorsements they get the easier it makes life, and we’re regularly in the Champions League (and with the bullshit new format will be even more regular). The only reason we look so poor domestically is that there’s two unstoppable juggernauts at the moment (albeit I think one is definitely starting to look a bit shaky and the other has a manager who could walk any time) making everybody else look bad.

We’ve a good side who had a bad year last year, and this mindset you raise from the fans was actually quite a major part of it. Constantly attacking our own players regardless of their performances and the like, it’s no wonder everybodies chins were glued to their rib cages.

I really hope the negativity attached to certain players from sections of our fan base stops now. Lots of people are going to be very upset that Ten Hag rates people that they don’t and we all kinda just need to get behind it, or at worst just be silent towards who you don’t like. Don’t sing their name, it’s fine. Don’t tag them in shitty Twitter posts either, for that matter.

EDIT: this definitely just became a mindless rant at some point
I don't deny we still have an appeal to players but I don't think we compare with the likes of bayern, barca or juve at the minute and are way behind real, city or Liverpool.

Manchester isn't a draw in terms of a place to live and our recent record doesn't give players confidence they will win trophies or even be guaranteed to play in the cl.

Our squad is prob now worse than spurs' and I think our first team prob worse than arsenal's. De Jong would change that but its the level we are at for now

Berbaclass

Neves is about 10x better than McTominay, let’s not take the piss.
Are Neves/Tielemans better than Eriksen? People are forgetting Eriksen played in a much deeper role for Brentford, arguably the same role as both players mentioned. I'd rather use Eriksen there than splashing at least 30 million on Tielemans, much more on Neves.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Wow theyre terrible
Let's ban them from transfer tweets and from this forum. It's just a trolling account, used by Barcelona to generate PR and mixing water. Pure wummers.

But a bit of on-topic discussion too.

I'm still certain he will come to United, but Barca is trying to save their face and blame their situation on him. That's absolute dross of an act, but let them make themselves a worldwide laughing stock.

Frenkie will join before July 30th or just before the end of transfer window, depends how difficult Barca's situation is. It's just sad that they are a club that negotiating with is like talking to a 3-year-old about not having candy.

Their board is just so weak and afraid of their fans. The fans won't accept laying the club low for 3-4 seasons and just build from academy and some interesting, reasonable bargains, they want everything now. I hope they will be severely punished for their financial actions and a relegation to 2nd or 3rd tier would be great signal to every club which plans to spend like there's no tomorrow.

GreatDane

Yeah i'm actually in that camp now. I'm much more convinced that this is "FDJ or Bust" and if it's bust he'll chance McFred or give a youth promotion.
If we don't get De Jong this window, then I see a Fred/Eriksen duo doing very good.
Fredriksen, I like it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Are Neves/Tielemans better than Eriksen? People are forgetting Eriksen played in a much deeper role for Brentford, arguably the same role as both players mentioned. I'd rather use Eriksen there than splashing at least 30 million on Tielemans, much more on Neves.
He’s not enough by himself. For what it’s worth I think De Jong will happen but Neves would be a smart backup at the right price. As I said he’s levels and levels above our current options.

Status
Not open for further replies.