Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Kante is a completely different kind of player to what Schöne offered.

Kante is a roaming player just like De Jong.
Fred similarly is more of an active presser type from what I've seen.
You want someone who holds position around the centre circle more.
But Kante has an impeccable sense of anticipation that's why i said someone in his mold could work, also seeing how much more erratic the premier league could be compared to Eredivisie i think someone more active might suit him better.

Overall im sure ten hag has an idea on how to pair him up so we'll find out soon enough .

jesperjaap

That's my default position too, I'd rather a DM, CB and a couple of fullbacks before effectively spending our entire budget on FDJ and Nunez but I think we can meet our basic objectives if we got them two plus a CB. We'd still be someway from the best possible team we could have but they wouod represent a substantial improvement which can be realised on the pitch and in our league standings.
Possibly, but depends how you look at it....last summer we needed pretty similar to this, what did we sign, a world class centre back, a potentially world class right winger and when needing a DM we signed a stiker.

The Ronaldo signing turned out a good one what with Greenwoods situation and Cavani injury problems, but it didnt brign us further on.

We need a centre back as we are losing some and the form of Maguire and injuries of Varane, Lindelof is hardly for me a good third choice when playing so many games. I still dont get Nunez as it seems such a high fee and Ronaldo I feel can still give us a season by which point we know what happens with Greenwood and Rashford and we can make a move then.

I can understand the DeJong targeting as for me he is right up there with the best for the role and the fee for him is reasonable when comparing with others liek Rice/Bellingham for example.

But three signings this summer is a massive no way for me, no matter who they are, still feel a RB and DM are the minimum to add to that, unless there are some massivde surprise cheap signings for me its DeJOng yes, Nunez absolutely no....as a signing yes, as the fee absolutely not, for the fee with our budget and needs....madness personally

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
'This fits me better than Barca...': Man United are handed fresh hope in their pursuit of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong after he admitted his role for Holland suits him more than in club action, following his star performance against Belgium
  • De Jong has admitted his role for Holland suits him more than at the Nou Camp
  • His comments came after his standout performance in the victory over Belgium
  • Erik ten Hag may have to splash out around £65million to bring in his former star

International matches are generally slow -- weather etc.

But I hope this isn't the pace or approach ETH hopes to play to accommodate Frenkie. It would be LVG2.0. Snoozefest --- I have never have fallen asleep as many times watching a United match before under LVG.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doesn't that say about the situation even more, the fact your own employer wants to sell you and the other employer wants you but even then you want to stay there.

Again I could be wrong about the whole thing and he in fact joins us with full happiness but I am skeptical because of our past decade of failed transfers.
You get that fact wrong. The reports never say de Jong insisted to stay despite of Barcelona already told him to leave. The report more indicates that de Jong prefers to stay if it's possible, and also the report mentioned initially not convinced but now convinced by ETH or after spoke to ETH. It's like Alan Smith at Leeds and Beckham at United. They prefer to stay at the club they supported since they were kid if it's possible.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not sure why people are paying so much attention to journalist story about what a player wants. Most are fabricated anyway. Main story is that we are negotiating and lets see if we can pull it off. I hope we do because he is exactly what we need.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
There is an entire elongated discussion about the same subject way back with some differing views.
For what it's worth he was paired with schone while at Ajax and if I were to give my two cents i reckon a player in kante's mold would do well by doing the necessary leg work for him.

It's to be seen but perhaps Fred could perform that role for us.
Funnily enough, Schone barely had any legs left when he played next to De Jong. That's why he stayed deep while De Jong roamed.
You don't need to pair De Jong with a DM, just with a player that can work well in the midfield combo. Like Ajax had with VDB, De Jong and Schöne, none of them are a DM or particularly defensive minded. But by working well together and all picking up some defensive work where needed, it worked really well.

Tomshark

'This fits me better than Barca...': Man United are handed fresh hope in their pursuit of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong after he admitted his role for Holland suits him more than in club action, following his star performance against Belgium
  • De Jong has admitted his role for Holland suits him more than at the Nou Camp
  • His comments came after his standout performance in the victory over Belgium
  • Erik ten Hag may have to splash out around £65million to bring in his former star

International matches are generally slow -- weather etc.

But I hope this isn't the pace or approach ETH hopes to play to accommodate Frenkie. It would be LVG2.0. Snoozefest --- I have never have fallen asleep as many times watching a United match before under LVG.
how about after LVG? Ole's last year is pretty boring too. Worse than LVG for me.

Bloedrood

I'm sure people want to read more into Frenkie now saying that he prefers the role he plays at the national team over how he's being used at Barcelona. But this is not new, he's been saying this for the past few years.

Not sure why people are paying so much attention to journalist story about what a player wants. Most are fabricated anyway. Main story is that we are negotiating and lets see if we can pull it off. I hope we do because he is exactly what we need.
Don't know which story you're referring to, but Frenkie was asked on Dutch tv this week about Manchester United and the transfer rumours, about what he wants, and he said that he prefers to stay with Barcelona and that Barcelona is his dream club. So that's definitely not fabricated, can find the interview in Dutch here:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Idxomer

That sounds like bs because I can't imagine how SMS is an alternative to De Jong.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
£68m not a fair deal for De Jong?
Is he world class? £68m + massive wages for a guy who isn't world class just seems mental to me. There were lots of CMs available this summer, if this were the only deal we made for one I wouldn't be very excited.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Is he world class? £68m + massive wages for a guy who isn't world class just seems mental to me. There were lots of CMs available this summer, if this were the only deal we made for one I wouldn't be very excited.
Like who ? Genuine question

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Name them? Because Tchouameni is about to go for 100m and Rice will cost 150m. Compared to them De Jong is a bargain

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Name them? Because Tchouameni is about to go for 100m and Rice will cost 150m. Compared to them De Jong is a bargain
Well for starters Kamara and Kessié were available on free transfers, rumours that Barella is available, that lad Newcastle signed was available in Jan for a very reasonable fee, there've been rumours about the lads at Leipzig, couple of options been talked about in France, I quite like Palhinha at Sporting too.

I'm not saying any of them are better than De Jong but if a £20m youngster on £100k a week doesn't work out you've not lost much. If a £68m guy approaching his prime on £400k a week doesn't work out, you'll find it very hard to get rid and you've the potential to further destabilise the dressing room. At that price and his age he really has to work out or we've just replaced one Pogba with another.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm sure people want to read more into Frenkie now saying that he prefers the role he plays at the national team over how he's being used at Barcelona. But this is not new, he's been saying this for the past few years.

Don't know which story you're referring to, but Frenkie was asked on Dutch tv this week about Manchester United and the transfer rumours, about what he wants, and he said that he prefers to stay with Barcelona and that Barcelona is his dream club. So that's definitely not fabricated, can find the interview in Dutch here:
The issue here is that people twisted it like he refused to leave after Barcelona told him to leave. But in the same interview, he admitted it that Barcelona haven't told him about him being sold and he hasn't rule out the potential of answering a call from another clubs.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
It's a lot of money yes but he's played for the manager before so nobody is in a better position to judge his value and worth in the system he wants to play.

Tarrou

Kinda feel like this signing could make or break ETH’s first season. What other midfielders of this class could we realistically get? Honestly can’t think of any, and if there are they’ll be very hard to get

Gurtej

I think he would transform the team to be fair
If this is split in 65m upfront and 15m variables….. it would be a great outcome…. Worth every penny if we can also get other players to play in ETH system

Real Name

Can't believe Milinković Savić name is still mentioned after what it seems is 10 years. If he's quality he would have been sold long time ago.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Google translation : De Jong approached United and Ten Hag.

Edit : Its quoting Sport.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wolves want £50m+ for fecking Ruben Neves, West Ham want £100m for Rice. You need to come to the real world.

CM

There aren't any other midfielders close to his quality that will be available this summer. As others have pointed out, that fee looks reasonable compared to other midfielders like Rice.

Tarrou

Can't believe Milinković Savić name is still mentioned after what it seems is 10 years. If he's quality he would have been sold long time ago.
I just don’t believe those links at all and any journo claiming he’s a realistic alternative to FDJ should go on the certified bullshitter list

Bloedrood

The issue here is that people twisted it like he refused to leave after Barcelona told him to leave. But in the same interview, he admitted it that Barcelona haven't told him about him being sold and he hasn't rule out the potential of answering a call from another clubs.
It's not that he didn't rule out the potential of answering a call from other clubs, he said that he always answers calls from other clubs. The reporter tried to push for something that wasn't there, he literally just told him that he wants to stay at Barcelona and that it's his dream club and has no regrets going there. Which apparently wasn't good enough for the reporter so he asks but if other clubs call then you pick up? And he said "Yes but I always do that".

Last edited:

Kag

The thought of signing a deep-lying central midfielder who actually values possession of the football is too good to be true.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
1. Yes, he is world class.
2. You paid £80m for Maguire who is bang average.

In a pre-corona world and Barca playing Frenkie de Jong to his strenghts he would be worth €150m, if not more. You're getting him for half the price because Barca has played him out of position and therefor he has not been able to show all his class, obviously the market has taken a hit from corona and because Barca needs to sell.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wolves want £50m+ for fecking Ruben Neves, West Ham want £100m for Rice. You need to come to the real world.
Or maybe you do. I guaruntee Neves isnt moving for £50m or above.

Wolves were talking bullishly before but truth is, hes off in a year anyway and they've recently resigned to this reality. Unless two or three clubs get into a bidding war, hes off. Probably around 40m I reckon.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Or maybe you do. I guaruntee Neves isnt moving for £50m or above.
No chance we pay £70m plus 350k a week wages for De Jong. Barcelona are desperate for cash. They want him gone. He’s on insane wages. Reminds me of the 60m bullshit fee everyone was quoting for a Varane with a year left on his deal last year. Cuckoo land stuff.

izec

Sounds familiar. ETH will be betting his united career on frenkie's ability to deliver.
That is a good bet, the best he will have. He has no alternative either. We and ETH equally are desperate for De Jong. He would be our best transfer since RvP quite easily, probably even better. The impact he could have for us is enormous. Definitely a player worthy to build you team around piece by piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.