Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Some of you have so much faith in ETH's pull for his former players, that you forget these players also have their own motivations and futures to worry about.
You’re just perfectly illustrating the point many of us are making. ETH hears direct from Timber, by talking to him, that he doesn’t want to come here and United immediately stop their pursuit. ETH has not had the same news from FDJ otherwise we would, again, instantly move on.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
If my aunt had balls, she'd by my uncle.

You're assuming he was our first choice for the CB position this summer window. I have my doubts he was, since he's right footed and we don't have a left footed CB. He'd be signing him to play out of position initially, which I know the Caf is obsessed with, but makes him being our priority target highly unlikely.

Again, my point was never to debate our interest in Timber, it was to point out that LVG talking him out of a move is just juicy tabloid talk.

Through Sports-Gates.com... I honestly can't find the original. Every Dutch source I see mentions Van der Kraan. I'm going to assume it doesn't exist. And the Dutch poster below can't find it either. Coincidence?

Again, I misremembered. I honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to the saga, because it was quite obvious to me we weren't going for him that fast. what I meant to say is we were never at any sort of advanced stage with deal unlike what all tabloids and fan channels had people believing.

Yes, I recall the LVG presser. Which is completely different from the myth that he wanted to come and LVG talked him out of it, which was the leading tabloid narrative. Again it's a juicy story that covers up the fact they were wrong this deal advanced. And it's quite obvious to see why ETH's first choice CB signing would be a natural left footer for the LCB position, given our squad that contains no left footers and also has Rafa fecking Varane. ETH's targets actually make a lot of sense. They're predictable.

You're wrong. Other people brought it up and we got sidetracked. My first post in this discussion was literally questioning the belief that LVG convinced Timber he shouldn't go to United.

I'm not "against" the idea, I'm just saying there's no evidence for it happening. The narrative makes a lot of sense when gossip merchants, like Mark Goldshite need a reason for why they're putting out Timber thumbnails for 3 weeks straight when nothing is happening. This a good story to make up based on his presser comments that angers United fans and gets clicks. I wish I could have taken credit for the idea.

LVG is an arrogant prick, but I find it highly unlike he would alter his genuine advice for one of his players just to spite United. He's too professional for that.
I genuinely don't understand why you're so bothered about this though. It's almost like you're on a single handed mission to clear up any slurs against van Gaal??
If he convinced him not to go, he convinced him not to go. If he didn't, he didn't. The fact remains that Timbers mind was changed and he didn't come

cyberman

You’re just perfectly illustrating the point many of us are making. ETH hears direct from Timber, by talking to him, that he doesn’t want to come here and United immediately stop their pursuit. ETH has not had the same news from FDJ otherwise we would, again, instantly move on.
But he doesn’t have Ajax telling him Timber has to go and they will help force the sell?

UnitedFire

Yeah I agree. His videos and stuff might be clickbait but that's just how Youtube works. I think he's fairly balanced/rational for the most part. He can be a negative cnut though sometimes.
To be fair I think even the negativity is a bit of a pantomime villain act, i.e. He knows his content will be filtered to the club in terms of key messages. He wants what is best for the club so going overboard on negatives is at least in part his way to feel like he is doing something to encourage action.

The above is my take on it, but I'm sure there is also an element of playing to the cameras from a drawing attention, likes and subscribers point of view. That's a typical winners story in life. Those who shout loudest are often disliked, but come out winning because they are heard over the introvert who may have great or even better ideas, but not the cohonas to do something about it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I genuinely don't understand why you're so bothered about this though. It's almost like you're on a single handed mission to clear up any slurs against van Gaal??
If he convinced him not to go, he convinced him not to go. If he didn't, he didn't. The fact remains that Timbers mind was changed and he didn't come
I also get wound up by people that think the earth's flat. It's just in my nature.
He didn't change his mind if he himself said he was staying at Ajax. At best he wasn't convinced to come.

Can we leave the Timber talk out of here?
Sure thing. Sorry.

OrcaFat

But he doesn’t have Ajax telling him Timber has to go and they will help force the sell?
I don’t know what you mean by this but, reading between the lines, are you saying that FDJ has told ETH he doesn’t want to come here but we are still pursuing this deal? And your reason for thinking that is because Barca are trying to force him out and he might be forced to come here?

I don’t know if that’s what you’re saying but I get the feeling some people do actually think that. As a theory, that’s about as daft as it gets.

mu4c_20le

Frenkie hasn't turned us down yet, at least to United camp. Maybe he's still using us as leverage to get what he wants from barca. We'll know it's over when he agrees a pay cut and work out a deal with the deferred wages. Then ETH will be stunned again.

Syphon Wallet

A very frustrating saga.
But I think we need to stick with it all the way to deadline day if there's a reasonable chance of still getting it done.
The alternative options are just not good enough, or certainly bad value.

If we don't get him in the end, then ten hag needs to show us what he's made of, a couple of the youth options could be accelerated into the team.

cyberman

I don’t know what you mean by this but, reading between the lines, are you saying that FDJ has told ETH he doesn’t want to come here but we are still pursuing this deal? And your reason for thinking that is because Barca are trying to force him out and he might be forced to come here?

I don’t know if that’s what you’re saying but I get the feeling some people do actually think that. As a theory, that’s about as daft as it gets.
No, I’m saying both are players who have said they want to stay but one club wants him gone and will do anything they can to help us change their mind and the other was Ajax who happily allowed him to stay.
It snot really the same situation

Chief123

The irony of this is beautiful.

Xavi was supposed to decide whether Barca take FDJ on tour with them. In the end, Barca took FDJ and left Xavi behind.

RkkMan

Frenkie hasn't turned us down yet, at least to United camp. Maybe he's still using us as leverage to get what he wants from barca. We'll know it's over when he agrees a pay cut and work out a deal with the deferred wages. Then ETH will be stunned again.
But he's guaranteed to get his €20m if he stays at Barca for the reminder of his deal so what exactly is he trying to get and what is he trying to achieve? Why does he want that money NOW if he's going to stay and get it eventually anyway? What sinister plan is this he's trying to achieve by stringing his former manager along if you think he only wants to stay? All these questions seem too far fetched for someone only wanting to stay
He only wants it now in anticipation of a transfer to avoid losing out on €20m as would most employees in his situation.

redcucumber

Status
Not open for further replies.