Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Caf: we neglected midfield for so long, Glazers penny pinching, embarrassing

Also Caf: 100m for one the best midfielders around, the one our new manager wants to build the team around? Madness!
I think you’ll find I was questioning Chelsea for signing him for that much, not United. Where’s the value for Chelsea as he doesn’t greatly improve them and they’ll make champions league regardless. If United sign him he instantly improves the midfield and gives us a far better chance of champions league so a vast increase in revenue.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I think you’ll find I was questioning Chelsea for signing him for that much, not United. Where’s the value for Chelsea as he doesn’t greatly improve them and they’ll make champions league regardless. If United sign him he instantly improves the midfield and gives us a far better chance of champions league so a vast increase in revenue.
Right fair enough, thought you were talking about United. I agree that he's not a 100m player for Chelsea, but it wouldn't be the first time an overeager owner/CEO/whatever decides to splash the cash regardless in an ill advised attempt to show intent

Godfather

feck me, read my posts again to you, I explained I don’t believe Chelsea would do that, or are doing that. But just because they’ve bid on a shit load of players, such as Kounde and Raphinha doesn’t mean they will end up spending it, or even that they are prepared to spend it.
Well but it DOES mean they are prepared to spend it

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Nizaar Kinsella retweeted this tweet and he is also saying that Chelsea have made no contact with his agent Ali Dursun.

In my muppet mind this is just a power move from Frenkie’s agent. The player gets a better contract from us and the agent gets a larger comission from us.

Either way this will end soon.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think United have been after him for a long time and De Jong will know that.

Flattery often pays off in such situations and the player will feel very valued.
You'd like to think that's more important than 1 year of CL football. Something which not even Chelsea are guaranteed to get next year again.

I genuinely think his partners choice of preferred city has more weight than that. She's probably saying 'oh I wouldn't mind London'.

It would certainly be a blow to the club's ego if we couldn't get this over the line.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
This is what really annoys me with all this crap.

"There is a feeling" "COULD be more open"

It's all opinionated BS that seems to be presented as fact. The whole situation is just literally hearsay and speculation with what people think COULD happen, not what is actually happening. And god knows where that random Chelsea fan got his info from, but i think he needs to lay of the halluciagenics to be honest with you

TheReligion

Abusive
You'd like to think that's more important than 1 year of CL football. Something which not even Chelsea are guaranteed to get next year again.

I genuinely think his partners choice of preferred city has more weight than that. She's probably saying 'oh I wouldn't mind London'.

It would certainly be a blow to the club's ego if we couldn't get this over the line.
Maybe, maybe not. Again if his career decisions boils down to where his Mrs wants to live then fair enough. Crack on. I won’t lose any sleep.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I highly doubt it as he's a Chelsea fan and podcast host with a few hundred followers.

Don't know how he would have such information.
Simon Phillips has 294K followers, a little more than a few hundred. :lol:

He often has the likes of Matt Law or Fabrizio Romano as guests in his podcast so he probably knows a lot more than the average twitter fan account. Not saying he's 100% reliable but as a source for Chelsea news he's always seemed good to me.

Dempsey19

He often has the likes of Matt Law or Fabrizio Romano as guests in his podcast so he probably knows a lot more than the average twitter fan account. Not saying he's 100% reliable but as a source for Chelsea news he's always seemed good to me.
Yeah sorry I read it wrong. I'm not a Twitter user at all.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Who is that? Reliable?
Not really. He's a Chelsea fan with a platform who mostly just collects transfer stories. I follow him because I don't have the time to be on SM all day, so I just scroll down his timeline every now and again to see what's been reported - he does sometimes claim to have sources, though no-one really takes it that seriously.

izec

What is the most number of pages a player transfer thread has had in one summer window so far on here? This one must be up there.

Maximum 4 weeks to go, this nonsense will be resolved

cyberman

Goldbridge has 500k followers and has all the big name journos on, yet to break a story.
It falls under the I want to believe category

Superunknown

Those tweets give me some encouragement. Sounds like they've been offered a range of players by Barcelona, who just want these players gone. Car boot sale style. Not sure it is Frenkie they're after then, after all.

If they get Frenkie and some of their other targets that they're reported close to/interested in, that's going to push their spending well over £200million+. Taking the piss, tbh.

romufc

Goldbridge has 500k followers and has all the big name journos on, yet to break a story.
It falls under the I want to believe category
No journalist would want to go break a story on someone else's podcast. If there is something to break, they'd do it either for who they work for (Ornstein with Athletic) or Fabrizio on his own channel.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Tells us nothing new other than the guy totally hedges his bets.

If De Jong prefers Chelsea why wouldn’t United be ruled out?

I could have wrote that myself
You'd think that if de Jong preferred Chelsea, United would have walked knowing that they're now supposedly in for him.

Makes no sense for the club to stick around and chase a player that they know would rather be elsewhere, which tells me that it's all BS. I truly think all this Chelsea stuff, whilst true, is blown way out of proportion, probably by Barca to get United to panic and pay his deferred wages

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
I actually trust Fabrizio Romano on the matter. He says what everyone heard many times before, United has had a deal agreed since the beginning of July with Barca but no personal terms agreed with the player because FDJ wanted to stay. The player still wants the money issue resolved and while Tuchel and Boehly like him a lot they don't want to get involved until FDJ decides he wants out and so far that hasn't been the case.

So United pretty much showed their cards early and the good news is their bid's been accepted. The bad news is the player still hasn't made up his mind about leaving. Chelsea probably don't want to be used by Barca to drive up the fee so they're playing the waiting game. Plus maybe they're hoping Barca's difficult financial situation will soften their stance the longer this saga goes on.

rabnub

Do not post much but obviously keep an eye on threads like this over the summer.

This thread is staggering... 50K + posts... Over 4 millions views...

A simple but unlikely solution here to the rumored Chelsea interest.

Sell them Them Ronaldo who will command silly wages for them and hopefully financially restrict them from pursuing FDJ in any meaningful manner.

Solves two problems for United (Albeit enhancing Chelsea on paper but i think they would face similar struggles to what we did with Ronaldo last year).

Opens up our route to getting FDJ in and gets Ronaldo off the wage bill and perhaps out of hampering ETH's system and approach this year.

Personally i think without us signing a FDJ type player to anchor the midfield we can write off any chance of top four this season.

The core of our issues the last couple of seasons have been the CB's and two in front of them. Having a pair at CB who are comfortable on the ball and two ahead who dont look like they have worse first touches than Lukaku in CM when put under any pressure at all have put us immense pressure in games that we really shouldn't be struggling in. Martinez signing hopefully alleviates one side of that. We need the FDJ type signing to go with it then things start to look a great deal better than last year

Last edited:

WPMUFC

wait...so the chelsea links are simply the fact that they have approached Barca to look at all the players on the chopping block and Barca has encouraged Chelsea to look at them, and this includes FDJ.....and that's the entire basis of the story? That's the entire reason for the meltdown? :lol: Barca are encouraging more clubs to look at all "for sale" players, this also includes FDJ and this why we got 40 pages of meltdown, comments about the Muppets needing commiserations etc.....jesus christ. :lol::lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do not post much but obviously keep an eye on threads like this over the summer.

This thread is staggering... 50K + posts... Over 4 millions views...

A simple but unlikely solution here to the rumored Chelsea interest.

Sell them Them Ronaldo who will command silly wages for them and hopefully financially restrict them from pursuing FDJ in any meaningful manner.

Solves two problems for United (Albeit enhancing Chelsea on paper but i think they would face similar struggles to what we did with Ronaldo last year).

Opens up our route to getting FDJ in and gets Ronaldo off the wage bill and perhaps out of hampering ETH's system and approach this year.

Personally i think without us signing a FDJ type player to anchor the midfield we can write off any chance of top four this season.

The core of our issues the last couple of seasons have been the CB's and two in front of them. Having a pair at CB who are comfortable on the ball and two ahead who dont look like they have worse first touches than Lukaku in CM when put under any pressure at all have put us immense pressure in games that we really shouldn't be struggling in. Martinez signing hopefully alleviates one side of that. We need the FDJ type signing to go with it then things start to look a great deal better than last year
I think this works on the assumption that Chelsea want to sign Ronaldo — by recent reports, Todd Boehly liked the idea, but the actual gaffer wasn’t sure about him. Plus I do think the board would never sell him to a PL rival.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm losing faith on this somehow. Someone needs to reignite me belief and zeal for this to happen.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
wait...so the chelsea links are simply the fact that they have approached Barca to look at all the players on the chopping block and Barca has encouraged Chelsea to look at them, and this includes FDJ.....and that's the entire basis of the story? That's the entire reason for the meltdown? :lol: Barca are encouraging more clubs to look at all "for sale" players, this also includes FDJ and this why we got 40 pages of meltdown, comments about the Muppets needing commiserations etc.....jesus christ. :lol::lol:
Pretty much. If you look at Ornstein's article from yesterday, he also says next to nothing.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Those tweets give me some encouragement. Sounds like they've been offered a range of players by Barcelona, who just want these players gone. Car boot sale style. Not sure it is Frenkie they're after then, after all.

If they get Frenkie and some of their other targets that they're reported close to/interested in, that's going to push their spending well over £200million+. Taking the piss, tbh.
It could also be a chance for them to pitch more than one destination to de Jong when they meet him and tell him he has to go. Instead of saying, "here's the offer we accepted from United, now pack your bags and a rain coat to Manchester," they can say, "here's your options, one of them is with your old manager and the other in London, if champions league next season is vital for you. Choose one but make it quick."

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
No idea to be honest with you, but i'm pretty certain that the links and info have all come from Spain and not from Chelsea themselves, which i assume is why a lot of reporters have included it in a short sentence in their articles, or really not covered it in a lot of detail (aside from a few).

Acquire Me

We are going to pay the deferred wages in the end. That's the end game and we are going to bite.

Bondi77

Why do people post bookies odds every summer? They mean less than jack shit :lol:

Might as well put up a golden blunder’s probability chart.
Years ago Skybet had Fabinho at 1/6 to join us and it came out later we had never even registered an interest.
I have had no interest in the market since.

Status
Not open for further replies.