• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Why would he want to come to United when we have shown absolutely no ambition whatsoever this window. We just had our worst ever season with 0 goal difference... And we've done feck all in the window. Its ridiculous.
We have been one of the highest spending clubs for years, have made a few additions and we are showing ambition by going after Frenkie de Jong. We lack depth in a few areas and a world class midfielder, but there is enough quality to do far better than last season.

RatPack

I almost do not care any longer.

Just buy a good defensive playmaker for our midfield (or 2 great central midfielders) acc. to the type ETH wants.

I just have a bad feeling we just prolong and end up buying someone in desperation at the end of the window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We have been one of the highest spending clubs for years, have made a few additions and we are showing ambition by going after Frenkie de Jong. We lack depth in a few areas and a world class midfielder, but there is enough quality to do far better than last season.
We will improve just by having Ten Hag. But we don't have attacking depth or competition at all, and there's no way we are making top 4 with Elanga as the 3rd choice winger. With or without Frenkie. I genuinely don't think Frenkie makes a massive difference to our goals/realistic finishes this season. I love him and he's a dream midfielder, but even if we sign him, we'll be desperately short in attack, and it'll be our undoing. If we fix the attack and don't sign Frenkie, we'll probably have enough for top 4 anyway.

TsuWave

as a side note, Barca buying a whole new core is impressive to be honest, especially because they’re all quality players.

Lewa
Kessie
Raphinha
Kounde

and might be looking to add Bernardo Silva before the end of the transfer window. That’s crazy. If United had a transfer window like that I don’t think I would have made it to the start of the season, probably self-combust out of enthusiasm.

I do understand they’re leveraging the future of the club though - but I’m just looking at it from a somewhat childish - fan perspective

hobbers

as a side note, Barca buying a whole new core is impressive to be honest, especially because they’re all quality players.

Lewa
Kessie
Raphinha
Kounde

and might be looking to add Bernardo Silva before the end of the transfer window. That’s crazy. If United had a transfer window like that I don’t think I would have made it to the start of the season, probably self-combust out of enthusiasm.

I do understand they’re leveraging the future of the club though - but I’m just looking at it from a somewhat childish - fan perspective
It'd be fantastic if they weren't signing away their future commercial and TV income to do it.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
We can’t due to the tax implications. We could give it to Barcelona but they won’t pay him, they’ll just keep it
We could though, just add it to his contract with us in forms of extra payments of sorts.
There is always a way around it all

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
They really are destroying their future for short term success aren't they? I mean, it's a huge huge gamble and a couple of bad seasons will result in, well, i don't even want to imagine how bad it could get
but they are never likely to finish outside of the top four in La Liga: would be hilarious if they did

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We will improve just by having Ten Hag. But we don't have attacking depth or competition at all, and there's no way we are making top 4 with Elanga as the 3rd choice winger. With or without Frenkie. I genuinely don't think Frenkie makes a massive difference to our goals/realistic finishes this season. I love him and he's a dream midfielder, but even if we sign him, we'll be desperately short in attack, and it'll be our undoing. If we fix the attack and don't sign Frenkie, we'll probably have enough for top 4 anyway.
Yeah, must say I much agree with that. Elanga is really not the truth, and I am not sure if Garnacho/Diallo will step up. But I can see Ronaldo staying/us buying Sesko. It's very light indeed, but I think most teams 5th forwards etc are rather poor.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We can’t due to the tax implications. We could give it to Barcelona but they won’t pay him, they’ll just keep it
Exactly! No way can you trust them with this. It would have to be directly paid to Frenkie and I don't think we're allowed to.

Terrible behaviour from Barcelona. Really hope we never deal with them again. Keep them on our shit list forever.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
but they are never likely to finish outside of the top four in La Liga: would be hilarious if they did
Oh i know that, but they may have a crap season and finish 3rd, out of the CL in the group stages, crap cup run... then what? Aren't they relying on winning the lot with all they're doing?

Newtonius

Seen the Ornstein news (why wasn't it a title update?), guess it all comes down to ETH's relationship if they match any bid or its done. Chelsea right now win any vs United situation hands down we all know it. Not only the situation but they have the location as well. particularly for the wife.

3 months, fecking hell. Can't say they didn't try though don't blame the club its just where we find ourselves.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Seen the Ornstein news (why wasn't it a title update?), guess it all comes down to ETH's relationship if they match any bid or its done. Chelsea right now win any vs United situation hands down we all know it. Not only the situation but they have the location as well. particularly for the wife.

3 months, fecking hell. Can't say they didn't try though don't blame the club its just where we find ourselves.
It was... it just got updated when more up to date news came out.

The Ornstein news, whilst concerning, was to me anyway, jsut Barca playing their old tricks. Other Chelsea reporters picked up on it, but it was just a passing remark, not a full blown story. Apparently Chelsea were offered a few Barca players including de Jong. They were in talks etc, then they were imminantly bidding, then news came out they weren't going to bid until de Jong gave the green light. Now it's all gone quiet. Who knows whats going on.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Honestly feels like we're heading for the worst transfer window since Fellaini, only this could be even worse as the squad is in a worse state now that it was then.
At this point, it would be an upgrade if Fellaini came back.... :lol:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Honestly feels like we're heading for the worst transfer window since Fellaini, only this could be even worse as the squad is in a worse state now that it was then.
Just wondering who the final day panic buys will be..? :rolleyes:

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
At this point, it would be an upgrade if Fellaini came back.... :lol:
As much as I dislike McFred, the Fellaini chapter was pure agony. I don't think I've ever been more depressed, continually seeing his name in the line-up. Even seeing his name out here brings back PTSD.

pogbasformerbarber

Lewa
Kessie
Raphinha
Kounde

I can't explain why but I just can never get my head around the Raphinha love. Maybe its totally anecdotal based on the games I've seen him in, but he's never looked a bit impressive to me. Totally fine player, but for the price it seems crazy to me...anyway back to the FDJ saga!

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yeah, I just thought we could get him for cheap for 1-2 year, can't be worse than sticking with McT
We can’t be constantly buying for ‘a year or 2’ doesn’t matter the position. It doesn’t solve the problems. We need to invest in long term solutions for the squad issues we have so we get some continuity and progression. It’s the only way to really address our problems and build for a winning future.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Lewa
Kessie
Raphinha
Kounde

By the time Lewa is retiring they’ll be having a fire sale run by administrators trying to keep the club afloat

Skills

Snitch

Lewa
Kessie
Raphinha
Kounde

I bet Barcelona spend next summer trying to get rid of 2 of a few of them. I reckon it'll be Kessie and Ferran Torres on the chopping block

Strootman's Finger

Lewa
Kessie
Raphinha
Kounde

Frankly I'm not impressed, except Kounde these were all the players we were linked with that I was desperate for us to not buy.

KeanoMagicHat

One year is a very long time in footballer years
But it's not 5 years, which was the point. Kanté is far from finished, he destroyed our midfield in April. Anyone watching that game couldn't conclude that Kanté wasn't much better than our current midfield options.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But it's not 5 years, which was the point. Kanté is far from finished, he destroyed our midfield in April. Anyone watching that game couldn't conclude that Kanté wasn't much better than our current midfield options.
Kanté is very good when he is fit which recently isn't that often.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Chelseas summer:

PlayerFee
Raheem Sterling€56.20m
Kalidou Koulibaly€38.00m
Gabriel Slonina€9.09m
Marc Cucurella (Not yet complete)€59.70m
Carney Chukwuemeka€17.90m
Wesley Fofana (Rumoured interest)??
Frenkie De Jong (Interest)??
Benjamin Sesko (Interest)??
Total€182.69 / £154m

Chelsea have now spent £154m on players this summer now including todays deal for Carney Chukwuemeka.

How they can afford De Jong even with throwing in Alonso and Azpilicueta I have no idea. I doubbt Barca would accept a deal for less money too. How much can Chelsea actually realistically spend? they have replaced Rudiger at this point but they need long term strengthening at the back which is why maybe they're looking at Fofana now.

Issue is, Koulibaly is 31 hardly a long term fix. Are they somehow going to spend £200M or £250M?

They're apparently interested in Sesko who will cost upwards of €40m, Fofana you're talking around €70m minimum, De Jong is going to cost at least €70m so who are they bluffing on?

Status
Not open for further replies.