Friendly against Stoke cancelled Micheal O’Neill has Covid-19

Deery

Dreary
Didn’t know where to post it so made a thread..

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So the whole squad will now have to isolate for 2 weeks, right?

This is why attempting to restart the season is ridiculous.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah, it would be nothing short of a miracle if all the fixtures could be completed. It won't be a surprise if it will be stopped before the second round of fixtures.

Deery

Dreary

United are saying none of the squad came in contact with him, but I agree we should abandon the season too risky.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Hope he's ok - this makes the cynic in me raise doubts over some clubs' testing capabilities.

Garry Buck

Let’s just say a few days before we play Spurs multiple players on our team or vice verse test positive. What then? You can’t keep pushing the games back and it’s unfair to play the game due to an obvious disadvantage.

I just don’t see how the season finishes. I think we will get a few matches at best and then it has to be stopped but for good this time.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He left the Ireland job to join Stoke? Why?
Their play-off games with Bosnia were postponed to October/November and he felt he couldn't combine that with his job at Stoke.

This article sums it up pretty well.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
United are saying none of the squad came in contact with him, but I agree we should abandon the season too risky.
I meant the Stoke squad will have to self isolate, but I get why it would be interpreted as United.

This won’t be a unique situation though, other squads will likely have to isolate too.

Deery

Dreary
I meant the Stoke squad will have to self isolate, but I get why it would be interpreted as United.

This won’t be a unique situation though, other squads will likely have to isolate too.
Oh yeah Stoke have to start the season in a fortnight too as well, don’t know how it’s going to affect them, do they train do they not, will they have no manager, it’s mad!

iHicksy

Let’s just say a few days before we play Spurs multiple players on our team or vice verse test positive. What then? You can’t keep pushing the games back and it’s unfair to play the game due to an obvious disadvantage.

I just don’t see how the season finishes. I think we will get a few matches at best and then it has to be stopped but for good this time.
It'll be pushed hard until liverpool win the league then the powers that be will decide the players health is suddenly important to them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

But they won’t though. The positively tested will need to isolate, not the entire squad, no?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
But they won’t though. The positively tested will need to isolate, not the entire squad, no?
You would think the whole squad have come into close contact with the manager.

Contact with a person who tests positive = 14 days self isolation.

Dan_F

The players will just isolate until they get the test results back in 48 hours. They won’t be isolating for 14 days if it’s negative.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Don't worry, we only need to keep playing until Liverpool confirm the league then we'll stop for good.

Half-joking.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon

Why? I'd have thought it would be easier for non-playing staff to avoid close contact with everybody. There's no real reason for him to get close to the players.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why? I'd have thought it would be easier for non-playing staff to avoid close contact with everybody. There's no real reason for him to get close to the players.
Possibly, I guess we’ll soon find out.

Lynty

The players will just isolate until they get the test results back in 48 hours. They won’t be isolating for 14 days if it’s negative.
This

I work frontline NHS. A whole team can't isolate for 2 weeks if one of us tests positive. Hospitals would close.

We isolate until we get our results back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I didn’t know that. I thought the policy was that positive testers need to isolate.

Okey

This

I work frontline NHS. A whole team can't isolate for 2 weeks if one of us tests positive. Hospitals would close.

Yep. This is what obtains. So isolation might not mean more than a couple of days for the rest of the squad with their testing regime. And given that spread from people without symptoms is thought to be minimal, it might not quite present that great a level of threat. Becomes almost like an illness lay off. What's more important for the players and staff is what they do outside the controlled environment of the clubs.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can’t understand why for the final 9 games they don’t have all the players and close family quarantined in a hotel going nowhere but on a bus to training and matches. Otherwise something like this could happen on a worse scale where a whole squad gets infected and then what?

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Jesus Christ. Every fecking thread.

Why can't some people just get the point of constant testing? It's to reduce the risk and spread of infection like they just did in this very case. Also this thread didn't need to be created since there is already a general covid thread where all things pertaining to it and restarting the season are posted.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Jesus Christ. Every fecking thread.

Why can't some people just get the point of constant testing? It's to reduce the risk and spread of infection like they just did in this very case. Also this thread didn't need to be created since there is already a general covid thread where all things pertaining to it and restarting the season are posted.
Constant testing isn’t going to help if someone ends up dead is it?

And, it’s United related and a big enough story to warrant its own thread..

stu_1992

Seems a bit weird, an perhaps it's a money thing as I've no idea on the cost really, that Stoke didn't test their players/staff before leaving for Carrington. I mean now they've all travelled there by bus or whatever together most likely which seems like it easily could cause it to spread. If they had known beforehand it could have been abandoned before travelling.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I can’t understand why for the final 9 games they don’t have all the players and close family quarantined in a hotel going nowhere but on a bus to training and matches. Otherwise something like this could happen on a worse scale where a whole squad gets infected and then what?
You must mustn't be married.

You want literally 100s of Women and kids locked up in hotels for weeks so their husbands can play football? Madness.

And we won't even talk about the potential cost of that.

Judas

Open to offers
This is why having friendlies against outside teams seemed bizarre to me. There's enough risk anyway, yes they might not be the most competitive, but keeping the games in house just against ourselves surely reduced the risk of something like this happening.

Havak

Pokemon master
I don't get how the Championship can restart if they don't have the testing capacity? I'm not exactly clued up on how the testing is happening in that league, but you'd imagine they would have been tested at least the day before travelling for the friendly. If that's the case and he contracted COVID-19 between leaving work and going to work then fair enough, but it seems unlikely that would be the case. I'd also assume everyone came alone by car, so the risk of it spreading would be minimal.

This creates an issue IMO though. If full precautions were taken and this still happened, what's to stop this happening when the season restarts and the whole squad travel on a team bus? If someone has it then, it's practically guaranteed someone else gets it. What's the cut-off point? I can understand maybe 2-3 players contracting COVID-19 means they isolate and treat it as unlucky, that player is injured just like they could be at any time (I hate to talk about this in such a way, but trying to dumb it down). However, what if it breaks out massively in a squad where 6+ players get it and you have a match in two days? Do you have to play at a disadvantage? Can you postpone until all players are healthy and have had reasonable training time to get up to speed? I think there is a huge risk of this continually happening and opening up a can of worms yet again.

I think we'll complete game 30-31 and they'll cancel it using it PPG (which I don't agree with but they have used it in other leagues and in England so it seems to be the preferred route). To me, I see this risk as too great and the decision to try and restart is probably going to do more harm than good and waste a lot of time & resources.

My two cents, but time will tell. I do hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

That was if/when you couldn't get tested. If you get a further test and test negative it's as you were.

Kajus

I think even if one player tests positive, the match is off. Not because of the disadvantage, but because that means that the whole squad was exposed to the virus and some of them are definitely false negatives.

It'll be pushed hard until liverpool win the league then the powers that be will decide the players health is suddenly important to them.
Exactly. They'll push it until Liverpool win the league and the relegation spots are more clear and there's less risk of legal problems from relegated teams and Sky/BT. Then all of a sudden it won't be safe anymore.

This

You know that adds risk but you have to do it that way because people die otherwise. The question is should footballers be doing the same to kick a bag of wind around?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Exactly. They'll push it until Liverpool win the league and the relegation spots are more clear and there's less risk of legal problems from relegated teams and Sky/BT. Then all of a sudden it won't be safe anymore.
Bullshit. As long as you don't complete the season, even a team certain to go down mathematically would have the same legal arguments than those in the relegation zone have now. Playing a few extra games won't make any difference in that respect.

Bullshit. As long as you don't complete the season, even a team certain to go down mathematically would have the same legal arguments than those in the relegation zone have now. Playing a few extra games won't make any difference in that respect.
No they wouldn't.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
But you don't test positive a couple of days in. It takes a while to develop doesn't it?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I didn’t know that. I thought the policy was that positive testers need to isolate.
That's what it should be and how it's being practiced for the BL. You have constant testing so if anyone did come into contact with another player/manager/coach with COVID-19, they would be tested positive, therefore only those who are tested positive should essentially be quarantined; rather than the whole squad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Constant testing isn’t going to help if someone ends up dead is it?

And, it’s United related and a big enough story to warrant its own thread..
They would end up dead whether they're playing football or not if their bodies are that weak.

Might sound harsh but i'd imagine this virus has probably swept the country already. If you were going to get it badly you would have by now.