Friendly v Preston called off due to suspected covid cases | None within first team group

Judas

Open to offers
Forfeiting the season is the only sensible thing to do now. To be fair the writing was on the wall when we lost to QPR, now this? Forget about it. Sack Ole, let a true footballing man take over. Mick McCarthy makes the most sense. Treat this season like a long pre-season. 22/23 is the one.

arnie_ni

Not oles biggest fan as a manager but trying to blame him for this is joke. Catch a grip ffs

flappyjay

I am sure a good number of them will be cleared and then join up with those who will most likely start against Leeds. Non covid comprised 11 if the situation got desperate.

Manager : Sir Alex :devil:

De Gea

Lindelof Varane Maguire Bailly

McTominay Fred

Amad Pogba Sancho

Cavani

Shaw and Rashford are considered injured.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
How are people blaming Ole. Yes preparation isn't great, but the players who were in tournaments over the summer are told to have a set amount of time off, if they came back early and picked up an injury Ole would then get the blame for that as well? Why are people presuming that someone caught covid because they were out partying. You can catch it through no fault of your own just going about normal everyday tasks.

Banana Republic

……..EDIT: Thankfully, on one level, that ill-conceived Qatar WC isn't on til November next year so the players will get a proper Summer and pre-season.
Unfortunately not.
As the WC is being played from November, through into December, the Premier League are looking at the 2022/23 season starting at the beginning of August and finishing in late May 2023.
That’ll mean the next two summer breaks will be drastically shortened.

Withnail

Unfortunately not.
As the WC is being played from November, through into December, the Premier League are looking at the 2022/23 season starting at the beginning of August and finishing in late May 2023.
Will we ever get a pre-season again? What the hell?

pascell

Unfortunately not.
The seasons usually run until mid May anyway, the only difference will be no season break inFeb/March I'm guessing, to facilitate the WC in the winter. So the players will still get 4 weeks off before starting pre season again.

Banana Republic

The seasons usually run until mid May anyway, the only difference will be no season break inFeb/March I'm guessing, to facilitate the WC in the winter. So the players will still get 4 weeks off before starting pre season again.
The league season used to kick off on the very last weekend in August ( bank holiday weekend in the UK)….
….and finish at the end of April, with the FA Cup final being played on the first or second Saturday in May (with a proper 3 pm kick off).
That gave almost a 4 month break in competitive competitions, allowing plenty of time for a good long break, pre-season training and pre-season tours and matches.
It also gave more time to fit in the WC and Euros.

We’ve had a gradual erosion of that summer recess, with the start of the season getting ever earlier and more recently, the league season creeping into May.
Playing the WC in the winter months is the last thing the game needs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Man. In 2012, there was no risk of COVID.

The risk should include the worst scenario. For instance, scenario that certain members of the team would be infected. Then how the CLub proceed with the pre-season to get (non-infected, and even possibly infected but no health issue) players fit.

ALthough I maybe wrong, the Club can actually get our players fit. Than I'd be glad to admit fault.

Or hopefully this pre-season doesn't matter, and we actually smash others on opening games. So all is good then.
How do you know that the club has no plan/scenario what to do if certain members of the team would be infected?
How do you know that the club has no plan to reduce chances of covid to happen?

CM

You'd hope we're able to get another game on then, even if it's behind closed doors or whatever.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Wonder if they'll end up playing this behind closed doors tomorrow or Monday instead.

Goku1983

I was trying to be funny 'cos the thread was getting a bit 'shouty', I hope I didn't offend you (I'm also quite new here too).
Dont worry man all good humour is sometimes hard to spot in writing nice tp meet you feellow newbie

Norris Cole

Hopefully they will be able to get a behind closed doors friendly in at least. As they say, no training drill can come close to the test of real 11v11 match.

Will need to keep an eye out for any of Bielsa's agents hiding in the bushes though

Thiagoal

Did someone mix some Coca Cola in with the saliva samples. What a joke- massively relieved though

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Well it's been happening under his regime, no? Players are severely unprepared by pre-season. Not just by COVID, but also the timing they comeback to train, and the amount of games they play. Also COVID is not only there for United, but for all other teams also.

First step for improvement is to admit there's something need to be improved.
Your posts smack of wanting to make an Ole out issue out of something beyond human control. The planning is there for all to see. We’re staying local rather than going on tour BECAUSE OF COVID. The regular lateral flow testing is in place BECAUSE OF COVID. Protocols are in place to confirm suspected cases via PCR testing. The manager simply does not manage the players and staffs private lifes nor should he. There is no blame to be apportioned here.

And you can guarantee this won’t be the last outbreak this season.

As for players not being back soon enough after Euros/Copa America its only fair that the players get reasonable downtime. They have played 2 seasons back to back with a Europa League finals in between and then thrown straight into an International competition finals. It is not the fault of Manchester United that England got into a final and our players are late back. Likewise Brazil. We were pretty lucky with injuries last season, (or shock horror - well managed by the staff) would be fairly reckless to expect them to play a 3rd straight season without rest.

The Cluck

Your posts smack of wanting to make an Ole out issue out of something beyond human control. The planning is there for all to see. We’re staying local rather than going on tour BECAUSE OF COVID. The regular lateral flow testing is in place BECAUSE OF COVID. Protocols are in place to confirm suspected cases via PCR testing. The manager simply does not manage the players and staffs private lifes nor should he. There is no blame to be apportioned here.

And you can guarantee this won’t be the last outbreak this season.

As for players not being back soon enough after Euros/Copa America its only fair that the players get reasonable downtime. They have played 2 seasons back to back with a Europa League finals in between and then thrown straight into an International competition finals. It is not the fault of Manchester United that England got into a final and our players are late back. Likewise Brazil. We were pretty lucky with injuries last season, (or shock horror - well managed by the staff) would be fairly reckless to expect them to play a 3rd straight season without rest.
Agreed. From what's been reported from both inside the club and outside of it, preseason appears to have been well organised. I'm sure the players are quite pleased to not have to travel to the other side of the planet for a change as well, seeing as tours to the United States, China, Australia, or wherever, aren't possible. If anything, COVID has given the players a chance at an undisrupted preseason (players returning late from international tournaments aside).

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Get the game back on! As I had a ticket...
Genuinely don't see why the game can't be played. Its a game in Preston not Poznan.

RedDevilRoshi

Surely the friendly against Preston or any other team can be held behind closed doors then.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Pretty gutted this got cancelled. I was all set to go with afew mates and I haven’t seen Utd in ages now I live down south. Going to watch Salford vs Lincoln instead now.

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
Thats why the decision should've been made today
Too late.

If police are warned of rest day duties (as much football policing involves) with less than 5 days notice they are entitled to enhanced payments which adds a lot to the costs.

SirAnderson

I'm complaining that, again, our pre-season is failed to prepare players to be fit at the start of season. This is a fact, not an opinion. This happen two Summer in a row, and this same thing might happen again next Summer, with WC and COVID most likely is still there. With excuses ready on hand?

Yes. I'm blaming Ole and the Club for this. As you can see these things are risks that should be considered when planning for pre-season. These things, like players in Euro and possibly COVID infection, are not a surprised events. Failing to take these risks into account when planning pre-season is amateurish (for a big club like United). How to take these into account? well, I'm not the manager, nor the CLub pay me to provide solution. I can only give general opinion.

I'm not sure of why the resistance on this, that again, Ole and the Club has failed to have a successful pre-season. They also failed to take into account the known risks. It's a facht, not an opinion.
That you Rafa?
You worried we will pass covid onto your Everton players? Doesn't matter. You still not finish in the top 10 this season, that's a facht. ;)