Future Manager Speculation

Moiraine

Was just wondering who will be next United Manager.

How long Mourinho will last that is another debate but just curious if we decide to change the manager, who is the best candidate to take over. Someone with Charisma and attacking style of play. Looks like all the good ones are already taken by the bigger clubs.

Andy_Cole

I don’t know what we should do. If we change the manager now then it’s another few years of transition. Jose’s plan may get us playing at our best next year.

However, is next season the obvious Jose Mourinho collapse? If it is shall we just cut our losses now rather wait for the inevitable end?

I’d go for Pochettino. Think he’d do well with the step up and funds. Someone of that ilk is important, an up and coming manager with new ideas. I don’t know too much of Sarri and Jardim but from what people say they sound good too. Maybe an Allegri/ Ancelotti though would be nice for some instant success.

Moiraine

I don’t know what we should do. If we change the manager now then it’s another few years of transition. Jose’s plan may get us playing at our best next year.

However, is next season the obvious Jose Mourinho collapse? If it is shall we just cut our losses now rather wait for the inevitable end?

I’d go for Pochettino. Think he’d do well with the step up and funds. Someone of that ilk is important, an up and coming manager with new ideas. I don’t know too much of Sarri and Jardim but from what people say they sound good too. Maybe an Allegri/ Ancelotti though would be nice for some instant success.
Pochettino would be my pick if he is available. Hope whenever we do, we talk to potential candidate in clear english so the message is conveyed clearly.

Raw

Keep Mourinho for another year and keep an eye on potential managers that may become available. There's no one reliable enough to bring in right now.

crossy1686

career ending
Pochettino would be my pick if he is available. Hope whenever we do, we talk to potential candidate in clear english so the message is conveyed clearly.
Find it hard to justify Potchettino considering he's yet to win anything and has consistently allowed Spurs to do a 'Spurs' in big games. His game management is suspect.

Also, Pep knew exactly what Fergie was saying, he's not stupid. We were a poisoned chalice after he retired, then we were damaged goods after Moyes and Van Gaal. Plus, Pep's only interested in middle eastern money, something we can't offer, I'm afraid!

klsv

Would stay away from Pochettino. Last time we got ourselves a decent PL proven manager who was supposed to do better with our funds didn't end up doing too well.

Fosu-Mens

Hopefully we will get a new manager soon.
Can't see Mourinho suddenly change his whole philosophy and start playing entertaining football. And blaming his style of play on the players at hand after spending £350m? Well, that is not right.

Ideally Guardiola, but that is not very likely is it? + He seems like an arrogant c***(Unlike JM....)
So realistic options that plays entertaining football:
Poch, Tuchel(He will be sacked from P$G next spring if they do not get to the CL-final. ) or Di Francesco.

Raw

Would stay away from Pochettino. Last time we got ourselves a decent PL proven manager who was supposed to do better with our funds didn't end up doing too well.
Pochettino is miles better than Moyes though.

Beaucoup

Pochettino is so far a serial loser and i'm sure when people mention Allegri they're only basing this on Watching Juve in the CL, he's another pragmatic manager, did anyone watch the Napoli game, worse than any Mourhino game this season.

stevoc

Was just wondering who will be next United Manager.

How long Mourinho will last that is another debate but just curious if we decide to change the manager, who is the best candidate to take over. Someone with Charisma and attacking style of play. Looks like all the good ones are already taken by the bigger clubs.
Why?

The likely candidates will change depending on when we will next need a new manager whenever Mourinho leaves, that could be in 1, 3 or even 5+ years. Probably best to wait until that actually happens before wasting time on speculation.

BlueHaze

Wouldn't ever compare Moyes to Pochettino, both managers have their teams set up to play completely different, when it comes to managing, Pocchetino is literally light years ahead of Moyes in every aspect. All it takes to understand this is watch a David Moyes team play one game of football, his tactics is probably how a neanderthal would set up his team to play if neanderthal football existed.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Paulo Fonseca ftw. Knows how to win and his teams play good entretaining football. We just got stuck with the wrong portuguese manager :D

deafepl

The difference is Pochettino playing so good football and turn Spurs into a top team in the league, his system just makes everybody look better 10x and Moye play hoofball football.

Sanche7

Poch next summer.

Quote me on that.
Hope not as it would mean Mou had a complete meltdown and all our signings flopped.
Also another trophy less year with City / Pool dominating.

Castia

Pochettino is so far a serial loser and i'm sure when people mention Allegri they're only basing this on Watching Juve in the CL, he's another pragmatic manager, did anyone watch the Napoli game, worse than any Mourhino game this season.

How can he be a serial loser? He’s overachieving.

Spurs finishing in the top 4 isn’t a given with the teams he’s up against, his budget is the lowest out of all the top sides.

If Spurs has £250m to spend over the past 2 summer windows they’d be well ahead of most clubs.

Miscemayl

SAF. Clearly there's no one else good enough until we get him back... Everyone else will fail from at least one of the "United way" categories of youth, success and excitement.

shaky

Poch would be a waste at a top club. He's proven he can build a talented squad on a small budget, and deserves a lot of credit for it, but so far he's not shown any signs of being able to push on and win anything with that talent.

Raw

You have to remember that Moyes beat Barcelona when managing Real Sociedad. Pure Genius and definitively not a chance of fate.

Oh wait... Didn't Poch manage Espanyol? I wonder how he fared....
Klopp had Dortmund in the relegation zone and now he's got Liverpool in a CL final scoring goals for fun. Just because Pochettino didn't do well at Espanyol doesn't mean we should discredit what he's done at Spurs.

JMack1234

Let Poch give them one more year in the new stadium and then when they bottle all the trophies again and we've all fallen out with Mourinho go over there and poach him.

Beaucoup

Spurs finishing in the top 4 isn’t a given with the teams he’s up against, his budget is the lowest out of all the top sides.

If Spurs has £250m to spend over the past 2 summer windows they’d be well ahead of most clubs.
What a load of rubbish, he's won nothing and his team bottles it when it counts, how can that be overachieving, anyway isn't his fantastic Spurs squad supposed to be better than ours?

beedoubleyou

I'm afraid we'll need to plunder another quarter of a billion in to Mourinho before this is considered. I'm 99% certain that nobody at Old Trafford is thinking about it and they're all just hoping for the best.... Hope I'm wrong on all fronts.

Ban

So basically Spurs side is trash and he's overachieving?
Poor Poch has to work with duds like Kane, Alli, Eriksen...

Fosu-Mens

Klopp had Dortmund in the relegation zone and now he's got Liverpool in a CL final scoring goals for fun. Just because Pochettino didn't do well at Espanyol doesn't mean we should discredit what he's done at Spurs.
As far as i can remember he took charge over Espan.. when they were in the relegation zone during the 08/09 or 07/08 season. At the end of the season he finished mid table and beat Barcelona 2-1 in the derby. So he did quite well.
I was taking a dig at the "We should not hire Poch, because he has never won anything, so we don't do the same mistake as when we hired Moyseh" argument. In other words i was supporting your statement.

Moyes was/is clueless, and only focuses on the defensive part of football. Defend to win mentality. Many Everton fans were happy when he left. No distinct style of play when in possession.
Poch on the other hand does have a system, and do seem to balance the attacking/defensive focus mentallity. Meaning that one can play entertaining football, while still be able to defend to some degree.

the chameleon

I think we need a director of football with a vision to take the club and make us play entertaining and attacking football which wins trophies. The next step would be to get a coach (not a manager) who can implement this philosophy.

This director of football has to be responsible for signing coaches and players who will fit the values of our club and he MUST be a football man.

Then we sign a head coach with an attacking mindset and will be responsible for coaching staff and working closely with the DoF for signing new players, working with Butt and Mckenna for nurturing and promoting youth.

The DoF is more important and should be competent enough to take all the pressure off the coach and the team.

This is the reason why clubs like Barcelona are able to stay on top regardless of manager changes. Yes, a new head coach will always be different from the previous one, but they won't extremely dissimilar.

The good thing about this approach is that it opens up a ton of possibilities for potential managers and we're not relying on their experience and name.

In this system, Poch would work, but there could be lesser known managers with attacking philosophies that would also work well.

It would eliminate managers a ton of managers we don't need i.e. Allegri, Conte. Ensuring that we're less likely to make a mistake.

In terms of responsibilities, the coaches responsibilities could increase beyond coaching if he develops and provides on winning results.

But a DoF is the key here.

Raw

As far as i can remember he took charge over Espan.. when they were in the relegation zone during the 08/09 or 07/08 season. At the end of the season he finished mid table and beat Barcelona 2-1 in the derby. So he did quite well.
I was taking a dig at the "We should not hire Poch, because he has never won anything, so we don't do the same mistake as when we hired Moyseh" argument. In other words i was supporting your statement.

Moyes was/is clueless, and only focuses on the defensive part of football. Defend to win mentality. Many Everton fans were happy when he left. No distinct style of play when in possession.
Poch on the other hand does have a system, and do seem to balance the attacking/defensive focus mentallity. Meaning that one can play entertaining football, while still be able to defend to some degree.
Ah fair enough! I agree with you there.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
:lol:
I wonder how many posters thought about posting this very thread?

I don't think it's a clear cut as some think.Yes there are a small handful out there who could be considered worthy candidates but how many would actually have the mentality and personalty to do so?

As SAF quite rightly stated many years ago, " This is a big club," You simply have to do something somewhere else first.

i know he has his critics on here but Poch does fit the bill in many aspects.
a) Promotes English youth in particular and knowledge of English football.
b) Tactical nous for the modern game or at least has learned a huge amount at Spurs
c) Players like him and he doesn't hang then out to dry in public.
d) Overachieving at Spurs but at Utd would have the budget to spend.
e) European players would play for him.

None of this guarantees anything at Utd of course but surely we'd have a brand of attacking football we'd be proud of

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think we need a director of football with a vision to take the club and make us play entertaining and attacking football which wins trophies. The next step would be to get a coach (not a manager) who can implement this philosophy.

This director of football has to be responsible for signing coaches and players who will fit the values of our club and he MUST be a football man.

Then we sign a head coach with an attacking mindset and will be responsible for coaching staff and working closely with the DoF for signing new players, working with Butt and Mckenna for nurturing and promoting youth.

The DoF is more important and should be competent enough to take all the pressure off the coach and the team.

This is the reason why clubs like Barcelona are able to stay on top regardless of manager changes. Yes, a new head coach will always be different from the previous one, but they won't extremely dissimilar.

The good thing about this approach is that it opens up a ton of possibilities for potential managers and we're not relying on their experience and name.

In this system, Poch would work, but there could be lesser known managers with attacking philosophies that would also work well.

It would eliminate managers a ton of managers we don't need i.e. Allegri, Conte. Ensuring that we're less likely to make a mistake.

In terms of responsibilities, the coaches responsibilities could increase beyond coaching if he develops and provides on winning results.

But a DoF is the key here.
I was thinking about this.

What names could you throw into the hat?

stevoc

How it is pointless ?
Why not look beyond Mourinho if he is going to play this type of football, ruin the potentials of young players...
Because we are not currently looking for a new manager and we have no idea when we will be, it could be years from now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How it is pointless ?
Why not look beyond Mourinho if he is going to play this type of football, ruin the potentials of young players...
It's pointless cause Mourinho is in probably the most secure position since any manager post SAF.
It could change but we aren't even close to that point. And I'm someone who wants him out as well.

We need to keep a close eye on Tuchel, hes only signed a 2 year deal at PSG. If he does well there Woodward needs to bring him in, I also like Jardim as an option.

Castia

What a load of rubbish, he's won nothing and his team bottles it when it counts, how can that be overachieving, anyway isn't his fantastic Spurs squad supposed to be better than ours?
He’s won nothing with a lesser team with a budget half of the other top teams it’s not rubbish at all. We’ll probably spend upwards of £150m this summer Spurs will proabably spend next to nothing net after selling Alderweireld.

Castia

So basically Spurs side is trash and he's overachieving?
Poor Poch has to work with duds like Kane, Alli, Eriksen...

Where were those players before Poch took over?

Kane just returned from a loan and was an unknown player, he gave Kane his break in Poch first year.

Dele Ali was signed from the lower leagues and whist Eriksen was touted as a good prospect from the Dutch league Spurs still took the gamble on signing and developing a young player.

These aren’t £50m signings with a glowing history mate he’s brought all these players on massively.

United were signing Di Maria whilst Spurs budget was buying Deli Ali....you get what I’m saying?