Future Manager Speculation

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
It'll be Pochettino or Zidane (we all know Woodward loves his shiny galacticos).

Marcos Silva as a dark horse depending on how well Everton do - he certainly plays a good brand of football.

Jojo <3 Mou

Allegri is the only one that I'd feel confident is able to build on what we have while winning. If I were him, I wouldn't be leaving Juventus at this time though, 2/3 years from now maybe.

Pochettino probably would increase the prettiness of our football, I'm not sure about his ability to win anything. Spurs is currently a better side or as good a side as we are and they are not really going anywhere.

Zidane is a 3× CL winner and a La Liga winner yet I feel than he's still a relatively untried manager. I'm not confident of what he could do with this team. Maybe after we've finished building a proper team/squad.

There are many options and reasons for and against. I don't envy the board having to make a choice. It will depend on what they are looking for...trophies, youth, consistency etc.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Firstly, I hope it works out with Jose long term. If it doesn't, the obvious choice for me is Zidane. He won 3 champions leagues back to back, and who better to coach Pogba and make sure he stays at the club?
I like Zidane and think he did an excellent job at Real, but I would be wary on him.

That Real Madrid team was perfectly set and he just came in to 'lift' them to their level.

I don't know how he'd do with a weaker team with a need to 'coach more'.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I like Zidane and think he did an excellent job at Real, but I would be wary on him.

That Real Madrid team was perfectly set and he just came in to 'lift' them to their level.

I don't know how he'd do with a weaker team with a need to 'coach more'.
This is a good point. He's not very proven.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They said exactly the same thing about Pep during his sabbatical -- untested, Messi etc.

I am sure having Zidane would keep the French contingent happy. Martial might even break out into a smile.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Zidane. He is available, young, and got a CV where very few could match. Players respect him too.

mav_9me

My question mark against zidane would be how good a coach is he? From my superficial understanding his success was from his man management of the egos in his squad.

We don't have anywhere near the level of talent compared to real. Would he be able to coach us above our current level?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
My question mark against zidane would be how good a coach is he? From my superficial understanding his success was from his man management of the egos in his squad.

We don't have anywhere near the level of talent compared to real. Would he be able to coach us above our current level?
True. Off to the Poch train then.

tomaldinho1

We didnt concede many because we put 11 or 10 men behind the ball every match, and still our defence had to rely on world class saves from De Gea, light years away from an old school Italian school. The fact they only conceded 10 more than our ultra defensive tactics isnt nothing to brag about.
NOt sure how it's bragging - I'm stating a fact, we are defensive and didn't concede many goals last season. Do you disagree?

Liverpool scored 16 more than us, we conceded 10 less than them and yet we finished comfortably above them. My point is defense is key to winning the PL.

wolvored

NOt sure how it's bragging - I'm stating a fact, we are defensive and didn't concede many goals last season. Do you disagree?

Liverpool scored 16 more than us, we conceded 10 less than them and yet we finished comfortably above them. My point is defense is key to winning the PL.
Facts wise you are right of course, but to say the back 4 played like some of the superb defences from Italy in the past is nonsense. We were cut open time and again. We had to park thebus/have everyone behind the ball and De Gea played out of his skin. Didnt he make the 3rd highest saves in the premier last year I read around March time? Thats not a good defensive display thats excellent goalkeeping

Bestietom

People forget about what Mourinho has done and what a truly great manager he really is. He should be given the freedom of the club like Fergie had it and we would win the absolute flamin' lot. That bloke is a genius.
Give him the freedom of the club NOOOO. We would end up with 11 CB's and have to scrap the Academy.

Devils11

The Legendary Marcelo Bielsa , the Crazy One. The inspiration behind managers, such as Pep Guardiola, Mauricio Pochettino and Diego Simeone, with his brand of pacey, attacking football revered by the football world. He could bring back the attacking football that United had renounced .Get him and Giggs as assistance.

Philip Charnock

Supports
BOLTON Wanderers.
Keep Mourinho for another year and keep an eye on potential managers that may become available. There's no one reliable enough to bring in right now.
I think that's a great plan. There is one manager who stands out. This is his 4th season in the Premier with one team. Longer than any other one. Eddie Howe. Ignore the fact he's been at Bournemouth in that time. And don't go around shaking your heads. The last three choices have been awful. Including the very UNspecial one. The mantra " he's had no experience" is rubbish. Pochotino is of the same ilk. Look how he's transformed Spurs. We cannot hide our decline anymore. It's him or Dyche. Why go abroad?

Philip Charnock

Supports
BOLTON Wanderers.
The Legendary Marcelo Bielsa , the Crazy One. The inspiration behind managers, such as Pep Guardiola, Mauricio Pochettino and Diego Simeone, with his brand of pacey, attacking football revered by the football world. He could bring back the attacking football that United had renounced .Get him and Giggs as assistance.
he doesn't need to come in as manager. Give him a Director of football position. Or similar. He can then look after someone like Howe or Dyche. They have good records where giggsy hasn't.

simplyared

I think that's a great plan. There is one manager who stands out. This is his 4th season in the Premier with one team. Longer than any other one. Eddie Howe. Ignore the fact he's been at Bournemouth in that time. And don't go around shaking your heads. The last three choices have been awful. Including the very UNspecial one. The mantra " he's had no experience" is rubbish. Pochotino is of the same ilk. Look how he's transformed Spurs. We cannot hide our decline anymore. It's him or Dyche. Why go abroad?
Started a thread in the newbies last season putting Eddie Howe's name forward as a potential utd manager. It was considered a brain fart and was binned directly by the mods. So can't see you getting much support for this.

tomaldinho1

Facts wise you are right of course, but to say the back 4 played like some of the superb defences from Italy in the past is nonsense. We were cut open time and again. We had to park thebus/have everyone behind the ball and De Gea played out of his skin. Didnt he make the 3rd highest saves in the premier last year I read around March time? Thats not a good defensive display thats excellent goalkeeping
Yh but I never said that - all I saying is how Mou is setting us up. Which I believe is deep and v disciplined and similar to how many Serie A teams used to play. Personnel wise, we don't so the system justice because our defensive unit hasn't been great but it's probably the best system for us to try and win things.

Klopp won't outgun City, we might out bore them :)

JK-27

I've read several posts on this forum saying Woodward and the board didn't back Jose in the summer transfer window because they were already planning for a new manager next season.

Well, giving that logic (which I don;t necessarily agree with) here's a thought - did Spurs not buy anyone because they are planning to be without Pochettino next season, and the reason they are planning to not be with Pochettino is because it's already been agreed he's going to be Utd manager next season?

Kapardin

I've read several posts on this forum saying Woodward and the board didn't back Jose in the summer transfer window because they were already planning for a new manager next season.

Well, giving that logic (which I don;t necessarily agree with) here's a thought - did Spurs not buy anyone because they are planning to be without Pochettino next season, and the reason they are planning to not be with Pochettino is because it's already been agreed he's going to be Utd manager next season?
Case is different though. Levy won't release funds even if he is tied to a chair and threatened Jigsaw style, so no surprises there. Whereas, Woodward usually obliges. This summer, funds were usually restricted and the press were briefed absolving Woodward of all blame.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We need to get rid of incompetent directors or separate football decision from those people who have power but are clueless about managing a football club before even thinking about a new manager.

Woodward needs to go first if his decisions are undermining our coaching staff and manager.

simplyared

And yet again, they will concede more goals than City, us and Spurs (no idea about Chelsea and Arsenal, new manager and all that). Like on attack, it is not only the quality of players that matters, also the tactical setup plays an important part.
Didn't seem to have much problem with their defence today!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Pochettino signed a new, 5 year contract just a few weeks ago. Yet you are asking if he's already agreed to move to United :lol:

wolvored

Yh but I never said that - all I saying is how Mou is setting us up. Which I believe is deep and v disciplined and similar to how many Serie A teams used to play. Personnel wise, we don't so the system justice because our defensive unit hasn't been great but it's probably the best system for us to try and win things.

Klopp won't outgun City, we might out bore them :)
People keep saying he would be more expansive if we had 2 WC CB's but I dont see it myself. Think it would still be 10/11 men behind the wall

wolvored

Pochettino signed a new, 5 year contract just a few weeks ago. Yet you are asking if he's already agreed to move to United :lol:
Didnt he say last year or the year before as well he wouldnt manage another English team?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
As if it matters:lol:. If wants to move, he moves and not like player transfers.

Not that I am expecting him to move but signing a contract means feck all esp for managers.

Schneckerl

I like that idea. It would guarantee an entertaining season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
As if it matters:lol:. If wants to move, he moves and not like player transfers.

Not that I am expecting him to move but signing a contract means feck all esp for managers.
It does in the context of supposedly agreeing to move to United just weeks after signing … not because a contract is a barrier to moving, but because agreeing to switch so soon after just wouldn't happen.

wolvored

Started a thread in the newbies last season putting Eddie Howe's name forward as a potential utd manager. It was considered a brain fart and was binned directly by the mods. So can't see you getting much support for this.
Yes I thought some big club would have given him a chance and expected Arsenal to have gone for him after Wenger. You never know what you got until you try. Pep Mourinho Zidane to name 3 were all given chances. We wouldnt do it because of the Moyes fiasco

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It does in the context of supposedly agreeing to move to United just weeks after signing … not because a contract is a barrier to moving, but because agreeing to switch so soon after just wouldn't happen.
I agree.

A football manager that chooses to leave his current club so soon after signing a new contract is untrustworthy. It sets the wrong example for the players he hopes to manage in the future. As a player under his control, how could you take contract negotiations seriously in the knowledge that the guy you're negotiating with is incapable of honouring his own contract?

It's bad enough that modern-day players have no respect for their contracts. It is infinitely when managers begin doing it themselves. That said, it looks increasingly likely that Poch will one day manage United - assuming he can prove himself in the meantime.

Last edited:

Hawks2008

We could be waiting a while before we have a new manager. I don't see this being Mourinho's last season here unless we completely shit ourselves and have a run like we did in the end of 2015. I believe we'll get top 4 so he won't be sacked, and I doubt Mourinho will walk either. I hope he gets it right, but if the time comes and he does go then I'd be pretty pleased if Jardim was his successor.