Future planning - Replacing Carrick

djdhrubs

I think Thiago would do a fantastic job in the Carrick role. Shame we didn't manage to sign him before Bayern Munich.
most interceptions this season out of any player in the top leagues, albeit only playing in the DM position twice.
Does he still have an unreliable fitness record?

glucose

In my dreams, we would go and pinch Thiago Alcântara from Bayern.

His passing and vision are all on par with Carrick, with some added dribbling skill and flair for good measure.

A sublime player - pity he'd never be allowed to leave unless we offered silly money. (Oh and the risk of fitness issues...)

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Replacing Carrick with Thiago or Verratti would leave us too weak (defensively) in midfield.

Drz

Replacing Carrick with Thiago or Verratti would leave us too weak (defensively) in midfield.
Good point about Verratti. He has the passing range though, the positioning will have to be worked on. But under Laurent Blanc at PSG he was sitting pretty deep, so it would a natural evolution.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Good point about Verratti. He has the passing range though, the positioning will have to be worked on. But under Laurent Blanc at PSG he was sitting pretty deep, so it would a natural evolution.
I really like Verratti, but for the #6 role the drastic loss aerially (compared to Carrick/Herrera/Fellaini) + him having had the benefit of Motta (Carrick-esque) and Matuidi (marathon-man) would mean a lot of adapting.

Madrid got away with Kroos (in the CL) because of the ridiculous levels of technique and athleticism throughout their starting 11 (but are much better now with Casemiro), and Juventus with Pirlo because of their 3 at-the-back + wingback system as well as Vidal/Marchisio. We will probably need more reshaping than a straight Carrick for Verratti swap, unless the defence and attack step up to a level that papers over that.

Drz

I really like Verratti, but for the #6 role the drastic loss aerially (compared to Carrick/Herrera/Fellaini) + him having had the benefit of Motta (Carrick-esque) and Matuidi (marathon-man) would mean a lot of adapting.

Madrid got away with Kroos (in the CL) because of the ridiculous levels of technique and athleticism throughout their starting 11 (but are much better now with Casemiro), and Juventus with Pirlo because of their 3 at-the-back + wingback system as well as Vidal/Marchisio. We will probably need more reshaping than a straight Carrick for Verratti swap, unless the defence and attack step up to a level that papers over that.
Agreed entirely. Also I'd add with Pogba displaying a rather good passing range, maybe a "Casemiro" type would make more sens if we are not keen on reshaping the midfield right away.
Lately I've been wondering if Herrera isn't evolving towards being our "Vidal" type player. I think he is as technical as Vidal, but maybe not as good as an interceptor, the workrate is there though; if he can increase his defensive aptitude it should make bring-in another technical type player easier.

glucose

Agreed entirely. Also I'd add with Pogba displaying a rather good passing range, maybe a "Casemiro" type would make more sens if we are not keen on reshaping the midfield right away.
Lately I've been wondering if Herrera isn't evolving towards being our "Vidal" type player. I think he is as technical as Vidal, but maybe not as good as an interceptor, the workrate is there though; if he can increase his defensive aptitude it should make bring-in another technical type player easier.
We had a Casemiro type in Schniederlin but it didn't work out - I think it's because teams sit back so much against us that we don't require a destroyer. Unlike Real Madrid however, we actually have some balance to the team with the wingers tracking back etc. Thiago has the passing ability, and is underrated in the amount of defensive work he actually does.

Toad

His passing and vision are all on par with Carrick, with some added dribbling skill and flair for good measure.

A sublime player - pity he'd never be allowed to leave unless we offered silly money. (Oh and the risk of fitness issues...)
You have Paul Parkers acceptance :lol:
Well worth my last post

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
There isn't a replacement out there, this combined with Mourinho's preference for a more classic destroyer type DM will see our MF reshaped over summer.

I just hope that we get someone with good positional sense and decent abillities on the ball. Someone lacking in both or one of those departments just doesn't work, like shown by Schneiderlin.

Infra-red

There isn't a replacement out there, this combined with Mourinho's preference for a more classic destroyer type DM will see our MF reshaped over summer.

I just hope that we get someone with good positional sense and decent abillities on the ball. Someone lacking in both or one of those departments just doesn't work, like shown by Schneiderlin.
Mourinho's favoured midfield set-up has generally consisted of a deep-lying midfielder capable of calmly circulating possession and passing through the lines (Makalele/Motta/Cambiasso/Alonso/Fabregas) in combination with a more physical, energetic, marauding midfield presence (Essien/Muntari/Stankovic/Khedira/Diarra/Matic). Unless Herrera is permanently converted to the former role, I expect some sort of Carrick replacement will be sought elsewhere. Bakayoko, who we're being linked with at the moment, would obviously be a good fit for the latter role.

wiz4231

True, Andre Gomes for me has the right attributes to fill the role, just needs to gain more experience in the role. If it doesn't work out for him at Barca we should be all over him.

Norris

True, Andre Gomes for me has the right attributes to fill the role, just needs to gain more experience in the role. If it doesn't work out for him at Barca we should be all over him.
Does he have the defensive attributes to shine in that position though ? I've always considered him as more of a No 10 from what little I have seen of him.

We need an rvn

A sublime player - pity he'd never be allowed to leave unless we offered silly money. (Oh and the risk of fitness issues...)[/QUOTE]

which rules him out in my opinion. As good as he would be, there's no point signing a player who will be in the physioroom more than the training field. He seems like one of these players who sadly is destined not to fulfill his potential due to injuries (Aka Van Basten...Andy Carroll :nervous:)

bucky

Neves, bazoer, weigel
All good young players who for the right fee may be available... especially in the summer if we qualify for the cl
Ruben Neves isn't good enough for his current club and Bazoer was sold for the same reason, the other one probably isn't for sale.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I just hope whoever Jose targets for the holding role is mobile and quick.

NoPace

We need more weight and then I say N'zonzi or Waynyama
Nzonzi is the better passer. Not much range, but very good at short passing to get others on the ball, and a lot more composure than Wanyama. I could see Mourinho wanting him to make us solid as our DM and also doing a job as the more conservative partner for Pogba or Herrera when we go with 3 in midfield to play a 10.

Devil may care

I watched Monaco again tonight, Bakayoko isn't the answer to this question, he'd be fine as a rotation with Herrera but him in a 3 with Pogba and Herrera would be rudderless. On the other hand Fabinho is 3 quarters of the way to being a good option, his passing game is mediocre but his defensive positioning, discipline and covering of his fullbacks is excellent.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Neves, bazoer, weigel
All good young players who for the right fee may be available... especially in the summer if we qualify for the cl
Weigl won't be sold this summer, but more importantly, I highly doubt that he's a player of Mourinho's liking.

Devil may care

Weigl won't be sold this summer, but more importantly, I highly doubt that he's a player of Mourinho's liking.
He's used Motta/Alonso/Fabregas in his last 3 teams so he does usually value one CM who's passing game is immaculate, and he surely realizes by now Pogba needs that type of player behind him to perform at his best.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
He's used Motta/Alonso/Fabregas in his last 3 teams so he does usually value one CM who's passing game is immaculate, and he surely realizes by now Pogba needs that type of player behind him to perform at his best.
I didn't have Weigl's passing qualities in when I doubt that he's a Mourinho target (although I think Weigl is overestimated a tiny bit in that department). Weigl isn't physical enough and most likely never be. He's a player destined for La Liga bar Atletico Madrid.

Devil may care

I didn't have Weigl's passing qualities in when I doubt that he's a Mourinho target (although I think Weigl is overestimated a tiny bit in that department). Weigl isn't physical enough and most likely never be. He's a player destined for La Liga bar Atletico Madrid.
I wouldn't say he's any less physical than Carrick, he's wiry and protects the ball well. Jose will need to be careful, there's no point in getting some horse that can go shoulder to shoulder but can barely pass the ball more than 5 yards sideways.

Dong Fangzhuo

Seems like too much of a 6/8 hybrid (based on very limited youtube scouting admittedly), would much prefer a proper disciplined holding CM. Could still be a fine signing if we're signing two CM's this summer.

Devil may care

LOL I thought I quoted your post about Bakayoko but apparently not...
Ah right, Bakayoko isn't the answer I agree, he's basically an upgrade on Fellaini/competition for Ander, if we bought a DM off Monaco I think Fabinho is the better option, his passing isn't great but he does the other aspects of Carrick's role to a high standard.

Dong Fangzhuo

Ah right, Bakayoko isn't the answer I agree, he's basically an upgrade on Fellaini/competition for Ander, if we bought a DM off Monaco I think Fabinho is the better option, his passing isn't great but he does the other aspects of Carrick's role to a high standard.
I think anyone expecting us to find a Carrick clone is going to be disappointed. I can't really think of a realistic option that offers his discipline, reading of the game and passing range. We will either have to settle for someone with a more limited passing ability, or go in a different direction, like getting a more athletic/defensive #8 to replace Herrera (like Bakayoko) and signing a DLP that's weaker defensively but could replace Carrick's passing.

If we sign Griezmann, this is all moot obviously. In that case I would expect us to focus on a defensively strong holding mid and hopefully find a CB with good ability on the ball/passing ability.

Norris

We should just go big and sign Weigl. He's the perfect Carrick replacement. If not him, then try a different approach with a midfielder who does the simple things right and has two more creative midfielders ahead of him.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think anyone expecting us to find a Carrick clone is going to be disappointed. I can't really think of a realistic option that offers his discipline, reading of the game and passing range. We will either have to settle for someone with a more limited passing ability, or go in a different direction, like getting a more athletic/defensive #8 to replace Herrera (like Bakayoko) and signing a DLP that's weaker defensively but could replace Carrick's passing.

If we sign Griezmann, this is all moot obviously. In that case I would expect us to focus on a defensively strong holding mid and hopefully find a CB with good ability on the ball/passing ability.
I think you might be right...

Did we ever replace Keane like-for-like?
Did we ever replace Scholes like-for-like?
Will we be able to replace Carrick like-for-like???

bucky

I think you might be right...

Did we ever replace Keane like-for-like?
Did we ever replace Scholes like-for-like?
Will we be able to replace Carrick like-for-like???
One thing they all have in common, their passing is/was very good, which is the point of the posts above. That's what we should replace. I think Pogba's and Herrera's passing can be very good, but whether their passing ability is enough for Mourinho remains to be seen. At every team Mourinho had a player, like @Devil may care pointed out, that controlled the game with his passing.

Devil may care

The thing we have to work around is Pogba can't play to his best in a 2, no matter we pair him with IMO. The only player I see around that can replace Carrick close to like for like is Weigl, a difficult signing for reasons mentioned ad nauseum.

Of the 2 counter options you propose I think Fabinho fits the first, while Paredes would be a good option for the 2nd.

Devil may care

One thing they all have in common, their passing is/was very good, which is the point of the posts above. That's what we should replace. I think Pogba's and Herrera's passing can be very good, but whether their passing ability is enough for Mourinho remains to be seen. At every team Mourinho had a player, like @Devil may care pointed out, that controlled the game with his passing.
This is the reason I am reluctant when it comes to Fabinho, he does the defensive aspect of the role excellently, but his passing isn't up too much, very safe and lacking the expansion ideally required, it would be different if we had a playmaking #8 like Modric, Thiago, Kroos or Verratti, but we don't.

MrSingh2002

I've been on hundreds of youtube scout videos and the only Carrick type player I can see or want would be Ruben Neves and Weigl at Dortmund. Haven't seen any other young defensive midfielders that come close to their potential.

If anyone has any better suggestions let me know.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
For me the ideal replacement of Carrick is already playing here and his name is Pogba.
  • vision: check
  • passing: check
  • positional awareness: check
For the rest he is just more atheltic (stronger and faster) and has dribbling skills that Carrick never had and he has the ability when he moves forward to get a goal which we also never had with Carrick. So not as much a replacement as an upgrade. Only thing he will need to work on is his consistency but Carrick also didn't have that from the get go, this is something that has to grow in his game over time.

Ofcourse that means Pogba can not be our nr 10. Which is ok because generally he doesn't play well as a nr10 and there are far more and better options to get a 10 than to get a deeplying playmaker in the market. Mata currently is perfect as a 10 and if we want to improve ourself we can get Griezmann who can also perfectly play as a 10.

The only thing missing in that midfield is a hard worker, running his miles, closing the gaps and protecting the defence. Currently in the team that role can be done by Herrera/Fellaini and I see a future for TFM in that role aswell. Bakayoko would also fit that role.

So in that line of tought I suggest we start playing like this:

------------Herrera/Fellaini/TFM--------Pogba/Carrick------------------
-------------------------------Mata/Rooney-------------------------------

Let it evolve to this next season:

-----------Bakayoko/TFM------Pogba/Herrera----------------------
------------------------Griezmann/Mata-----------------------------

Now queu the holy 3 man midfield crusaders who will tell me this is impossible and only looks good on paper and we can never play like this in the PL for reasons

Nick.

Pogba can pass just fine but his positional awareness is nowhere near up to the standard to shield the back four.