Future United team

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
With Moyes talking about building for a squad for 5 years time...it got me thinking. What might we look like 5 years and beyond? I always get excited about the youth prospects and had a train journey with naff all to do yesterday so got to thinking (probably too much).

Welbeck
Januzaj
Zaha

Lingard
Powell
Pearson

Blackett
Jones
Smalling
Rafael

De Gea

or Perhaps...

Wilson
Januzaj
Zaha

Perriera
Powell
Pearson

Blackett
Evans
M. Keane
Vermijl

De Gea

That's before we get to Tom Lawrence, Henriquez, Rothwell, Will Keane etc...or down to Youth level with Goss, Harrop, Gollini, Bothwick Jackson, Mitchell etc etc...

What do you reckon the team of the future might look like? It's not a serious thread as much as a few thoughts.

Nickosaur

As talented as our youngsters are, in five years time I reckon at least 3 or 4 of the starting XI will be new signings. Who knows who though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
As talented as our youngsters are, in five years time I reckon at least 3 or 4 of the starting XI will be new signings. Who knows who though.

No doubt. There's no way we won't be signing anyone over the next 5 years :lol:

LR7

It would be nice if our future could be shaped so heavily around the academy graduates but it's unrealistic.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I have hopes for a few in the reserves/Youths set up but that is dampened when I remember my hopes for the youth team in 2011. All are 21 this season and so far only the two who have left(Pogba and Morrison) have made an impact at top flight level. Of course if Will Keane hadnt had such back luck thing might be different.

Of the current youth/reseves crop I think Wilson,Perriera,Pearson stand out.

A big year for the Keane twins on loan.

Zaha will have a big future at United I feel. Powell as well.

londonredmaniac

Which is why I said this isn't a particularly serious thread...as it is impossible to know who we would sign. If the future United team was built around what we had I wondered how it would look.

londonredmaniac

I have hopes for a few in the reserves/Youths set up but that is dampened when I remember my hopes for the youth team in 2011. All are 21 this season and so far only the two who have left(Pogba and Morrison) have made an impact at top flight level. Of course if Will Keane hadnt had such back luck thing might be different.
Michael Keane and Jesse Lingard certainly have impressed on loan. I still have high hopes for Tom Thorpe as well. Will Keane will take time but no denying his quality. Tom Lawrence is an outside bet as well as Vermijl who I think has come on really well.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I think from those who aren't considered regulars Michael Keane, Ben Pearson, Sam Johnstone and Nick Powell will make the first team squad. Maybe Will Keane as well if he recovers from injury.

I always think u18 is too young to be sure about a player, so not including those

londonredmaniac

I actually rate Gollini ahead of Johnstone Fiskey...I wouldn't usually include u18's but James Wilson looks a bit special to me.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd be disappointed if two out of Wilson, Pearson and Rothwell doesn't make it. High expectations and all, I know but I think all three of them have the talent and determination to play for United. Pearson is a personal favourite of me.

Out of the young ones on loan, I think Nick Powell will make it. Keane brothers can make it here as rotation.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I actually rate Gollini ahead of Johnstone Fiskey...I wouldn't usually include u18's but James Wilson looks a bit special to me.

Haven't seen much of Gollini, and I think when I have he hasn't had to do much. I rate Johnstone higher than Amos so Gollini must be good.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Unfortunately the chances of a youth academy product breaking into the first team is very rare especially at a club like United. Although, if in 5 years time, the first team squad contains Rafael, Evans, Januzaj, Welbeck, Wilson, Keane brothers with Pereira on the fringes, the club wouldn't be doing so bad at all. I suspect Cleverley will be sold.

londonredmaniac

Unfortunately the chances of a youth academy product breaking into the first team is very rare especially at a club like United. Although, if in 5 years time, the first team squad contains Rafael, Evans, Januzaj, Welbeck, Wilson, Keane brothers with Pereira on the fringes, the club be doing so bad at all. I suspect Cleverley will be sold.
I still have high hopes for Lingard

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
With Moyes talking about building for a squad for 5 years time...
Hard enough to predict 2 years time! Our first team will have a big revamp imo! Look at the below, in 2 years time about 40% of our current squad (with 300+ mins this season) will be over 30! I think the top 5 will be gone by then, perhaps Carrick staying on, but the rest will be shipped off/retired.

42 - Ryan Giggs
37 - Rio Ferdinand
34 - Nemanja Vidic
34 - Michael Carrick
34 - Patrice Evra
32 - Robin van Persie
30 - Antonio Valencia
30 - Wayne Rooney

29 - Nani
28 - Marouane Fellaini
27 - Jonny Evans
27 - Chicharito
26 - Tom Cleverley
26 - Shinji Kagawa
26 - Chris Smalling
25 - David de Gea
25 - Danny Welbeck
25 - Rafael
23 - Phil Jones
20 - Adnan Januzaj

londonredmaniac

Hard enough to predict 2 years time! Our first team will have a big revamp imo! Look at the below, in 2 years time about 40% of our current squad (with 300+ mins this season) will be over 30! I think the top 5 will be gone by then, perhaps Carrick staying on, but the rest will be shipped off/retired.

42 - Ryan Giggs
37 - Rio Ferdinand
34 - Nemanja Vidic
34 - Michael Carrick
34 - Patrice Evra
32 - Robin van Persie
30 - Antonio Valencia
30 - Wayne Rooney

29 - Nani
28 - Marouane Fellaini
27 - Jonny Evans
27 - Chicharito
26 - Tom Cleverley
26 - Shinji Kagawa
26 - Chris Smalling
25 - David de Gea
25 - Danny Welbeck
25 - Rafael
23 - Phil Jones
20 - Adnan Januzaj
I know, again the thread wasn't a serious assessment as it was just a passing thought of how we might line up if our most promising youth broke through.

Ekeke

We have no idea what the team will look like in 2 years let alone 5. Some of our bright young players will fizzle out, some of our senior players will probably leave before you'd expect them to, we'll sign some players who will work out and others that wont and some of them will be transfer muppet targets that are being talked about now, others we wont have seen much of before. All we can do is hope that that the team and squad are a bit stronger than they are now as that will be progress.

londonredmaniac

I know i said as much in the first post...with it not really being that serious a thread. Just wondered what a team of our most promising young players currently would look like...with the likes of the 92 squad in mind.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What I will say, is that I hope we get Rakitic and Matuidi in the next 2 windows. Then add in Shaw and I think we're set for a few years. We might need to replace a winger or two though. Could promote Lingard and see how he does.

londonredmaniac

This is my transfer muppet thread! Some folk get excited about big money signings I get excited about the kids...

...or something.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've got a bit disillusioned with our youth system. I was convinced Eagles would make it, then I was convinced Pogba, Morrison and Januzaj would form the core of our team for a decade. I've now come to understand that at such young ages you really have no idea where they'll end up. It's a lottery at times.

RedRover

As ever, unless there is a freakishly talented crop of youngsters coming through we'll be lucky if two or three go on to be first team regulars.

RedRover

I've got a bit disillusioned with our youth system. I was convinced Eagles would make it, then I was convinced Pogba, Morrison and Januzaj would form the core of our team for a decade. I've now come to understand that at such young ages you really have no idea where they'll end up. It's a lottery at times.
Its always a lottery. if it were easy then you wouldnt have players transferring for millions of pounds and every club would have homegrown players.

As said above, at a top side if you get one or two regulars over a three to four year intakle that's not bad. And the players who dont makle it you might well generate a bit of a profit on. United in particular supply players to other clubs up and down the league and most ex united reserve/youth team players seem to make as a professional at some level.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Evans, Welbeck, Januzaj, Jones, Rafael and De Gea will form the core of our starting lineup. Not too sure about the rest of our youth players as I haven't been watching our under 18s, but those above are nailed on to be starters as long as they stay fit.

Ryan Giggs to be our trump card from the bench if we need him :drool:

jb8521

Not sure Michael Keane will make it here personally. I do see him as premiership quality player eventually but just not of a high enough level for us.
I was about to say the same thing. Hes a good footballer but just has never looked strong enough defensively for me I think Thorpe is a stronger defender than him but doubt hell make it here either

Decotron

I was about to say the same thing. Hes a good footballer but just has never looked strong enough defensively for me I think Thorpe is a stronger defender than him but doubt hell make it here either
Ive always felt Thorpe had a far higher ceiling. I wouldnt rule him out just yet. His style of defending is more likely to suit us in the long term. He desperately needs a move somewhere either way...

Coxy

Not sure Michael Keane will make it here personally. I do see him as premiership quality player eventually but just not of a high enough level for us.
I don't see why not - of course he should aim for a just above mid table team ;)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
5-6 years from now, this could be a possibility.

Wilson
Signing januzaj zaha
Pereira/Powell signing
Signing jones smalling Rafael
De gea

The few times I've seen pereira, he's looked very good. Technically excellent. Not sure if either him or Powell would be able to develop as a top class deeper midfielder behind januzaj in a #10 role. We definitely need a winger though, and probably a striker but Wilson looks good, just not sure if he has enough for united. 4 of the back 5 are already here and almost first choice so no problem there.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
These threads are always fun to bump years down the line when the majority of the prospects have amounted to not very much at all.