Future United team

khoazany

Random bump but how was your expectation has changed after half a year?Who will still be at United after 5 years out of the current U18s and U21s crop?

Booyakasha

I'd be very surprised if Wilson wasn't with us five years down the line. Powell, Pereira, the Keane brothers and Lawrence are Premier League material, if not United material.

Lots of ifs and bits with the rest of the lot.

eddiebb

gobshite
If I had to name a list of players who will still be at United in 5 years (taken from this years u18 group and up i.e. not including the likes of Mitchell and Rashford:

Johnstone
M. Keane
either Varela or Janko but not both
Powell
one of Pearson or Rothwell or A. Pereira
Wilson.

That's still a terrific return

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Wilson is all the way a United player for me. Thought so for a good few tears now.

I'd love to see Lingard given some time and it could be an interesting tour if Pearson, Rothwell and Pereira get on it. Michael Keane is impressive for me on loan and Tom Lawrence has really had a good season.

Be happy to see Varela and Vermijl get a chance to back up at right back and there seems to be a real player in Janko. Tom Thorpe needs a loan next season for me as does Blackett. Johnstone looks a cracking prospect.

Powell's season has tailed off a bit...but until Feb/March he was great...but still not in the position he seems to be earmarked for.

khoazany

If I had to name a list of players who will still be at United in 5 years (taken from this years u18 group and up i.e. not including the likes of Mitchell and Rashford:

Johnstone
M. Keane
either Varela or Janko but not both
Powell
one of Pearson or Rothwell or A. Pereira
Wilson.

That's still a terrific return
I'd add one of Lingard and Lawrence and I'd say 2-3 out of Powell,Pearson,Rothwell,Pereira,Goss.Too early to write off Vermijl as well.One of Johnstone,J.Pereira and Henderson will become GK no.2 I reckon.

Thorpe,James,Harrop,Fletcher would be with outsider shot.All setup for Rashford to kick Rooney out of the team when the latter is 32-33 :p

wiz4231

In 41212 formation I'd like to see these players move into the team (including young players already in the first team)

18..../......17
J.Pereira/Milinkovic
18..............21/19...............20...........19
Janko....Thorpe/McNair....Blackett....Shaw
Pearson
A.Pereira
..........Januzaj
*Gauld
Henriquez..........Wilson
*Ryan Gauld in a swap deal for Nani.

Glanville95

At least five of those players will not make it in any capacity here, I can almost gaurentee that. I said this in another thread, but a lot of people have this fascination and obsession of a future team comprising of near enough all academy players. It's pure fantasy and delusion and seldom ever happens at any club in world football.

JoaquinJoaquin

In 41212 formation I'd like to see these players move into the team (including young players already in the first team)

18..../......17
J.Pereira/Milinkovic
Pearson
A.Pereira
..........Januzaj
*Gauld
I may be proven wrong here but i'd stick my neck out and say that out of the above list the only players still at the club in 4-5 years will be the players bolded.

Our youth team is good, But it is severely overrated in these quarters IMO

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Don't see Blackett here in 5 years.
:houllier:

18..../......17
J.Pereira/Milinkovic
Pearson
A.Pereira
..........Januzaj
*Gauld
Sporting just bought Gauld, can't see that happening. Also Henriquez was sold to Dinamo Zagreb. Januzaj should occupy the 10 with Rothwell or Harrop as an 8. I also don't think Thorpe or McNair have a future here, and your team doesn't include Johnstone who is only 19/20 and a better prospect than Pereira as a GK

khoazany

Sporting just bought Gauld, can't see that happening. Also Henriquez was sold to Dinamo Zagreb. Januzaj should occupy the 10 with Rothwell or Harrop as an 8. I also don't think Thorpe or McNair have a future here, and your team doesn't include Johnstone who is only 19/20 and a better prospect than Pereira as a GK
It was a loan and Henriquez said in the interview that he want to prove himself there to be in LVG's plan.

wiz4231

At least five of those players will not make it in any capacity here, I can almost gaurentee that. I said this in another thread, but a lot of people have this fascination and obsession of a future team comprising of near enough all academy players. It's pure fantasy and delusion and seldom ever happens at any club in world football.
I'm not saying the whole team will consist of academy players but the highlighted player are capable of quality enough squad players. If I didn't know anything about UTD and watched the U21 game against Sunderland and heard that UTD would field a 30M FB I'd would have thought it was Janko. Pearson is a top player and I have no doubt he will make it as for Henriquez time will tell, he is a better player than W.Keane, that's not saying much but he does have a lot of potential. Ryan Gauld is 1 of the players I'd love to see at UTD in the future, if not UTD he will make it at a big club, amazingly talented player.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
It was a loan and Henriquez said in the interview that he want to prove himself there to be in LVG's plan.
I could have sworn he was sold with an option to buy him back but I looked it up and he is on loan with an option for Dinamo to buy him.

wiz4231

Maybe not but worth a try. Id take Gauld instead of peanuts that we would get for Nani. In regards to Johnstone your right he is better than the 2 at this moment in time, he is also 21 years of age and from what he said he maybe looking to get out.

wiz4231

Don't really understand this response. Much like Michael Keane and Reece James he isn't good enough for us. He is only getting a run in the team at the minute due to injuries. I'd be surprised if he is still at the club this time next year.
I don't know what I can say to that other he has looked like 1 of our better defenders this season, once we get all defenders back he will be a squad player but he's 1 I'd keep around and something that works in his benefit is being left footed, not many of them around. I had my doubts about him for the last 2 years when he's been playing as LB but as a CB he's been nothing but quality. M.Keane and James are overrated no doubt about that, as are Amos, Vermijl, Lingard, Powell, W.Keane amongst others.

khoazany

I think we need to stop this knee-jerking and lack of enough sampling judgement about whether a youngster will be good enough for us or overrated.Sure as hell you just can't be sure about that.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Don't really understand this response. Much like Michael Keane and Reece James he isn't good enough for us. He is only getting a run in the team at the minute due to injuries. I'd be surprised if he is still at the club this time next year.
I'm more surprised by your response, to be honest.

wiz4231

I think we need to stop this knee-jerking and lack of enough sampling judgement about whether a youngster will be good enough for us or overrated.Sure as hell you just can't be sure about that.
Neither can you, watch them and make a judgement. Did you think Januzaj would make it? Players need a chance, so far the ones who have been given a chance have taken them and done well why shouldn't it continue? It doesnt mean that we will have to stop buying WC players. LVG came here for a few reasons and 1 of them was the academy.

Last edited:

khoazany

Neither can you, watch them and make a judgement. Did you think Januzaj would make it? Players need a chance, so far the ones who have been given a chance have taken them and done well why shouldn't it continue? It doesnt mean that we will have to stop buying WC players. LVG came here for a few reasons and 1 of them was the academy.
I don't think you get my point...I was referred to those posts "this youngster is overrated" "that youngster won't make it".Seriously people need to watch them long enough or if not, at least wait for them to having a fair crack on senior football before passing any kind of judgement like that.James for example is clearly not a wing back yet people used those performances in that position to say he's overrated.Just plain lol.

Yes I always think Januzaj will make it.

Redo91

I don't know what I can say to that other he has looked like 1 of our better defenders this season, once we get all defenders back he will be a squad player but he's 1 I'd keep around and something that works in his benefit is being left footed, not many of them around. I had my doubts about him for the last 2 years when he's been playing as LB but as a CB he's been nothing but quality. M.Keane and James are overrated no doubt about that, as are Amos, Vermijl, Lingard, Powell, W.Keane amongst others.
That isn't hard to be fair. Besides Jones all our defenders have been awful.

No real benefit in having a left footed CB unless you are playing with a back three which thankfully we no longer seem to be doing.

I'm more surprised by your response, to be honest.
Why exactly? He looks like a decent prospect but nothing more. He might make a decent a career for himself at a Premier League club but it won't be with us.

wiz4231

I don't think you get my point...I was referred to those posts "this youngster is overrated" "that youngster won't make it".Seriously people need to watch them long enough or if not, at least wait for them to having a fair crack on senior football before passing any kind of judgement like that.James for example is clearly not a wing back yet people used those performances in that position to say he's overrated.Just plain lol.

Yes I always think Januzaj will make it.
Lol, in that case I misunderstood you and apologise for that. I agree these youngster need a fair crack, we seen a lot of promise from these lads and now we need to have faith in them, not only the managers and coaching staff but we as fans as well. We're buying WC players and thats great because that's exactly what we need in the first team now because we don't have that. These academy players coming into the first to me are as good as any signing, I feel the same way about it. I've watched the U21 and U18 with the same enthusiasm as I watch the first team, I want them all to do well. I remember watching the U18's 2 years ago with the likes of Pearson, Rothwell, Pereira, Daehli, Januzaj and Wilson they were on fire, the only down side was they weren't physical enough. I've watched them making their way up the ranks and its great to see them doing so well.

Regarding James, yes he's not a LWB and shouldn't be judged on that. He was solid last season for the U21 as a LB, solid defensively and in attack, though I do question if he will make it here.

Last edited:

wiz4231

No real benefit in having a left footed CB unless you are playing with a back three which thankfully we no longer seem to be doing.

Why exactly? He looks like a decent prospect but nothing more. He might make a decent a career for himself at a Premier League club but it won't be with us.
We can't have 25 WC players in the squad at the same time, we need squad players and he's done enough to be given that.

NoPace

-----------Wilson----------- (Rooney, Chicharito)
Signing---------------Januzaj (Mata, Zaha)
----Di Maria-----Herrera--- (Pereira, CM Signing)
----------Signing----------- (Blind, Pearson)
Shaw------------------Rafael (Blind, RBSigning, Blackett)
-----Rojo-----Jones-------- (Smalling, Evans, Blackett)
----------De Gea----------- (Johnstone, GK Signing)

Looks pretty good to me. Spend big on:
-A wide goalscorer like Reus, Ronaldo, Griezmann, Aubameyang, Jese or whoever has emerged by then.
-A top DM/CM to anchor the midfield. Unlikely this player will be English with the lack of great deep midfielders produced here.

and medium spending on a CM to back up Di Maria and Herrera. Rafael's backup can be found fairly cheaply or maybe Varela, Janko or someone else emerges there.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
If you just go back on any site and take a look at how different every single squad/first team in this league is now compared to how it was five years ago... This squad is going to change so much by that time, with players we wouldn't imagine, or even some we don't know yet.

If you'd asked this five years ago - Wilson, Shaw, Jones, Smalling, De Gea weren't on this list, and a whole bunch of academy players probably would have been.
A lot changes.

khoazany

If you just go back on any site and take a look at how different every single squad/first team in this league is now compared to how it was five years ago... This squad is going to change so much by that time, with players we wouldn't imagine, or even some we don't know yet.

If you'd asked this five years ago - Wilson, Shaw, Jones, Smalling, De Gea weren't on this list, and a whole bunch of academy players probably would have been.
A lot changes.
Always think these kind of thread is mainly for entertaining purpose only.Don't think anyone really believe that their prediction will come to anything close to the real one.

My attempt for 25-man squad in 2018-2019:
GKs: De Gea,Milinkovic,Henderson
RBs/RWBs: Rafael,Janko/Riley
LBs/LWBs: Shaw,new signing
CBs: Jones,Blackett,Rojo,new signing,(Borthwick-Jackson),(Fosu-Mensah)
CMs: Blind,Pereira,Pearson,new signing,(Gribbin),(Gomes)
Wingers: (Mitchell), new signing, new signing, an imported youngster (don't think we'll play much with real wingers by then)
AMs/no.10: Januzaj,(Rashford)
Strikers: Wilson,Lingard,new signing,an imported youngster(Chong?)

Yeah I think Herrera,Di Maria and Mata will go after a few seasons (Chelsea/Man City/Barca/Madrid perhaps?).Those in bracket don't need to be registered in that season.

There are 14-15 players from academy here which is a bit far-fetched but currently we have 8 in the first team without counting Johnstone,James and if LVG staying longer than his initial contract I can only see that number increases.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I disagree. Fact is he's played just 4 first team games so neither of really have any idea how he will develop and it's all speculation and opinion thus far. However I've been impressed with his composure on the ball. His positional discipline is also very good. I think he's looked our best defender this year. Anyway, my opinion that I believe he has what it takes is just as valid as yours that you think he won't make it, although in reality neither are in any way valid as we have seen only 4 first team games and (in my case) some of his youth games but they can't be used to judge. Plus we haven't seen him in training. In any case, to say you're surprised that someone thinks he can make it is wrong tbh.

LR7

As I watch our youngsters on a regular basis I tend to get a tad attached to most of them. I really have high hopes for Wilson, Pereira, Lingard, Pearson, Rothwell, Harrop, Varela and I like Goss and Demi Mitchell as well. I obviously understand they won't all make it as you never know how injuries etc will affect players and upturns in the form of previously underrated players (I never saw Blackett doing as well as he's done this season for instance). That said though, I think the above have a chance to stake a claim for a first team spot.
Hope Rafael's our next captain
Me too.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Wanna bet?

Granted he kind of fell into his opportunity but he taken it with both hands.