Gabriel Barbosa | Suspended for two years for attempted anti-doping fraud

Fenomeno9

Prices for highly rated talents especially those with a little hype are high regardless of what league you choose to buy from.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's underwhelming. Not enough skill and determination to be honest. A total waste of minutes who could had gone to Zivkovic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Prices for highly rated talents especially those with a little hype are high regardless of what league you choose to buy from.
true but if a highly rated talent whose showing plently of promise in a third rated league is nearly as expensive as a highly rated talent whose showing plently of promise in a top league then the clubs would opt for the latter rather then the former.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Inter must be a curse for Brazilians these days, pretty sure they purchased Coutinho at 16 for him to move there at 18 and he failed having a loan at Espanyol before hitting rock bottom and moving to Merseyside.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Inter must be a curse for Brazilians these days, pretty sure they purchased Coutinho at 16 for him to move there at 18 and he failed having a loan at Espanyol before hitting rock bottom and moving to Merseyside.
Inter had a bad curse in those years with anyone not brazilians. Inter have always had a good tradition with brazilians if you look at their past players from there.
At that time (2013) the management decided that was more useful investing on Kovacic than Coutinho and shit happened (not that the croatian was shit, he just went on one of the worst period of Inter of all time).

Nowdays it's totally different and the case of Gabriel Barbosa is emblematic, he wasn't the main target 'cause Suning wanted Gabriel Jesus not him, at the end Guardiola/City happened and they listened to the agent Kia Joorabchian to get an alternative from that market.... so he wasn't even chose by Inter directors, that's the worst thing.
The rest is history, personally I think that Gabriel Barbosa is the typical brazilian footballer that can't adapt to european football, he's worth only for brazilian league at that's it. (Do you remember Vampeta?)

stygg

Biggest achievement yet is that he's romping Neymar's sister.

bebeanderson

He's Argentinian and they bought him for less then 10m.
So? The Argentinian league is worse than Brazilian one.

It's more a case of Italian football being a terrible environment for skillful players. Coutinho for instance.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So? The Argentinian league is worse than Brazilian one.

It's more a case of Italian football being a terrible environment for skillful players. Coutinho for instance.
Its not the easiest league to be, there again, when one spends 20m-40m he expects a player to at least know the basics and can settle down relatively quickly. The Argentinian league might not be the best. However, it still allows bargains to be made. Not to forget that Argentinian players don't usually end up rubbish once they hit their 30.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Gabigol scored the winner again in the Copa Libertadores final . Always seems to compete and make a difference in the big games. I don’t follow Flamengo at all closely but he’s been banging them in for them for the last 5 seasons (I think he’s averaging around 30 goals a season for the last 5).

We need a striker, and one that can play as a complete forward as he can. Should EtH bring him to the PL?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Isn't Pedro the higher rated one of the two? I have never seen him tbh but he was named player of the tournament and might go to the World Cup from what I have read.

Uniquim

They're both important to Flamengo. They've been playing a lot with both up front. Pedro have been in excellent form this season, Gabi had a brilliant season last year, but last year he was played more than Pedro. When they play together, they combine well.

Think Gabi would be better suited to Europe of the two. He's spoken about wanting to stay at Flamengo to break more records, but have also spoken about wanting a second shot at Europe. When West Ham came in for him, his agent said there was interest at coming to europe, but "we will not return to Europe at any cost. It has to be a very good project to convince Gabriel to come back."

Gabi at Unted have crossed my mind a few times, but I hope he stays, because that Flamengo attack have been so much fun to watch these past couple of years. Surprised european teams haven't been looking at De Arrascaeta tbh. Also United have reportedly been looking at João Gomes, who also played in the final today.

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Gabigol is not United caliber, not close actually. He's a case of a player maybe too good for South America but he would have to give up his life as a king in Rio to go try his trade at Everton or something like that maybe coming off the bench, and financially it wouldn't be a step up as well since Flamengo pays EPL salaries almost.

mav_9me

Gabigol is not United caliber, not close actually. He's a case of a player maybe too good for South America but he would have to give up his life as a king in Rio to go try his trade at Everton or something like that maybe coming off the bench, and financially it wouldn't be a step up as well since Flamengo pays EPL salaries almost.
Woah. How come? Is it just flamengo or other Brazilian clubs too?

Uniquim

Woah. How come? Is it just flamengo or other Brazilian clubs too?
Flamengo are one of the few clubs with their finances in order. They're one of very few teams that are able to spend 15-20m on a single player. Partly down to using money in a good way, having a superb academy (Vinicius Jr, Reinier, Lucas Paquetá etc), and partly down to being the biggest club in Brazil. Some other clubs have decent-to-good finances, some like Mineiro have benefactors, but since clubs are fan-owned with leadership elections, a lot of club presidents over-promise and spend wildly, leaving a bunch of the clubs in debts. Several clubs pay over the top for star names to return even if they're riddled with debt, like Botafogo did. São Paulo who are a pretty big club, needs to sell players every year to secure their budget, and lost Dani Alves having not paid his wages. So Marquinhos to Arsenal, and the development percentage from Antony to United would've been a big deal to them.

One problem is that international TV rights have been sold for a lot less than it should've been. It's just a matter of time before the clubs form a breakaway league, trying to copy the commercialization success of the premier league. It's been in the news quite a bit over the past year or so.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Actually not that strange, since he's trying to find a way into the old goals scoring form. Probably a desperate move. If this was MMA he would be considered clean with those doping levels, probably.

Santos J

Actually not that strange, since he's trying to find a way into the old goals scoring form. Probably a desperate move. If this was MMA he would be considered clean with those doping levels, probably.
He didn't test positive for anything, he's banned because he was being a cnut with the testers basically

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Tbf, MMA has the most pathetic doping regime in sport. You can tell, as they trumpet that it’s the most stringent.

I think Conor used to be tested 1-3 times a year. The fella has clearly been juicing for the last two years, based on his appearance in Roadhouse and is about to come back.

The whole roster is on gear of some sort.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He didn't test positive for anything, he's banned because he was being a cnut with the testers basically
He was being a cnut because he knew there were chances of being caught. Now, every athlete does PEDs, but they try to keep inside the allowed levels. He was probably doing a more intensive cycle and was afraid of being caught.

Santos J

He was being a cnut because he knew there were chances of being caught. Now, every athlete does PEDs, but they try to keep inside the allowed levels. He was probably doing a more intensive cycle and was afraid of being caught.
He had a clean blood test on the same day

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I always wonder why he struggled in Europe so much. His goalscoring record in Brazil is excellent

SambaBoy

Yes these leagues are inferior (are they on the youth level too, I'm talking about U21, U18 etc.?) but at the same time this allows young players to get more game time at a younger age. Big clubs won't move away from these leagues, or where are you gathering the signs for that? Mario and Silva were bought this very summer. If anything prices will stagnate/drop or lower clubs will take the bet. Actually given the shitload of money involved I was observing more of a trend to buy earlier than before, for big but still manageable money out if Brazil for example (Lincoln, Vinicius, Arthur are all possible Madrid/Barça targets; Vinicius already bought for 45m this very summer).
On an unreleated note, I checked to see where this guy is playing as I remember him being highly rated back then, and I seen he has no club at 23 and moved from Brazil to Japan. What happened there?