Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

Bobski

City could do with a different type of option to mix it up. Over those 2 legs against Liverpool they chucked in a lot of nothing crosses for their team of diminutive forwards to attack against VVD and co.

Don't see Pep ever going full target man but someone with a touch of physical presence to allow some variation would help out their creative players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Dzeko would be the player City needed for variety sake and aerial threat
Don't think Dzeko would settle for back up role. He played that role and wanted out as he wanted first team football.

He was annoyingly good as a sub too for City.

Oyibo

Aguero is not 100%fit. Pep even mentioned it pre match.
Even when Aguero was fit, I recall Jesus was Pep's preferred 9 earlier in the season.

There was a point Aguero was visibly angered at being on the bench, to the point there were stories of him wanting out.

On a side note, the kid is immature and easily wound up as we saw on Saturday. Hope opposition defenders took note of that for
next season ....

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Probably the worst player over the 180 minutes of the tie. Did he do anything right?

SER19

Funny the difference a few months makes. I took a fair bashing for criticising the hyperbolic comments regarding Jesus (and other city players, and collective). Described on match of the day as 'the best young player since messi.'

That's not to say he isn't talented and won't improve but I wonder if fans and many pundits will ever learn to temper their comments with a degree of perspective. It was in my much derided de bruyne comments that I said the same. De bruyne is quite clearly fantastic and close to the top level but to place him among the very best in the world was and is premature. His big game record leaves a lot to be desired for both club and country.

Gabriel Jesus is the personification of the hysterics around this city side. Premature, may still come very very good, but was immune from any degree of criticism only a very short time ago. In the same breath he isn't rubbish and city aren't suddenly falling apart.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Funny the difference a few months makes. I took a fair bashing for criticising the hyperbolic comments regarding Jesus (and other city players, and collective). Described on match of the day as 'the best young player since messi.'

That's not to say he isn't talented and won't improve but I wonder if fans and many pundits will ever learn to temper their comments with a degree of perspective. It was in my much derided de bruyne comments that I said the same. De bruyne is quite clearly fantastic and close to the top level but to place him among the very best in the world was and is premature. His big game record leaves a lot to be desired for both club and country.

Gabriel Jesus is the personification of the hysterics around this city side. Premature, may still come very very good, but was immune from any degree of criticism only a very short time ago. In the same breath he isn't rubbish and city aren't suddenly falling apart.
Hype and hyperbole are two of the things that make sport fun. And PS De Bruyne is one of the best in the World.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm hundred percent sure that Guardiola will sign a new center forward in the window. Aguero is too injury prone whereas Jesus is like a finisher and nothing else.

SER19

I'm hundred percent sure that Guardiola will sign a new center forward in the window. Aguero is too injury prone whereas Jesus is like a finisher and nothing else.
Guardiola will see their shortcomings as nothing that 300 million can't fix. His new 300m pound defence just shipped 8 in three games against their closest rivals. Needs more money

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Who is out there that they can actually sign over the summer better than what they have now?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's Aguero, no?
It is but Aguero isn't at his peak anymore. He's uncharacteristically sloppy in possession at times and also still not top tier at pressing despite his improvement on this front. At his peak him or Suarez would be ideal.

Right now Mbappe would be perfect or even Kane IMO.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Who is out there that they can actually sign over the summer better than what they have now?
With the links to Sanchez and Mahrez and the use of Stirling as a forward I have a feeling that a player suited to operating in a wide position would be what they are after
Bale - not sure he fits Peps "philosophy" but he woul certainly add a different type of threat
Salah - not sure liverpool would sell but City would probably be one of the few teams with the cash to make them consider it
Hazard - with no CL then perhaps he could be an option
Muller - coming back to a bit of form and lets not forget he played 148 games for pep scoring 79 goals which is pretty good considering he isnt a traditional center forward at all
Griezman - they have not been linked much but with a relatively low buyout clause and them having very rich backers that could be an option
I think any of them would instantly improve the squad and to a varying degree all could be available
Then you have players like Brandt, Bailey, Kluivert, Lincoln, Malcolm who would probably be happy with more of a squad role and would add depth and huge potential to the squad

Given that Aguero seems to on average miss around 20% of the season simply buying better attacking players that lets you juggle your attacking options around that more efficiently (eg if stirling needs to play up top having better wide back up) will improve them... and there seems to be plenty of players that would fit that category - and of course the bids for sanchez and mahrez seem to suggest its an area they want to improve o as well.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
With the links to Sanchez and Mahrez and the use of Stirling as a forward I have a feeling that a player suited to operating in a wide position would be what they are after
Bale - not sure he fits Peps "philosophy" but he woul certainly add a different type of threat
Salah - not sure liverpool would sell but City would probably be one of the few teams with the cash to make them consider it
Hazard - with no CL then perhaps he could be an option
Muller - coming back to a bit of form and lets not forget he played 148 games for pep scoring 79 goals which is pretty good considering he isnt a traditional center forward at all
Griezman - they have not been linked much but with a relatively low buyout clause and them having very rich backers that could be an option
I think any of them would instantly improve the squad and to a varying degree all could be available
Then you have players like Brandt, Bailey, Kluivert, Lincoln, Malcolm who would probably be happy with more of a squad role and would add depth and huge potential to the squad

Given that Aguero seems to on average miss around 20% of the season simply buying better attacking players that lets you juggle your attacking options around that more efficiently (eg if stirling needs to play up top having better wide back up) will improve them... and there seems to be plenty of players that would fit that category - and of course the bids for sanchez and mahrez seem to suggest its an area they want to improve o as well.
I do not think any of the major names you listed would either improve them or be available to them. And I think the Sanchez links was more about his lack in trust in Sterling and they were only linked with Mahrez after Sane got injured.

roonster09

Scout
Just saying that type of player could have helped. It was funny watching cross the ball constantly to midgets
Yeah, they were doing superb Valencia impression too. Just smash and hope for the best.

Smores

It is but Aguero isn't at his peak anymore. He's uncharacteristically sloppy in possession at times and also still not top tier at pressing despite his improvement on this front. At his peak him or Suarez would be ideal.

Right now Mbappe would be perfect or even Kane IMO.
Imagine the outcry if it was Jose who couldn't suffice with Ageuro :rolleyes:

bebeanderson

Goals per 90 minutes (10 goals minimum)
1 - AGÜERO ( 0.95 )
2 - KANE ( 0.83 )
3 - JESUS ( 0.66 )
4 - MURRAY ( 0.54 )
5 - FIRMINO ( 0.53 )
6 - VARDY ( 0.53 )
7 - MORATA ( 0.52 )
8 - LUKAKU ( 0.48 )
9 - LACAZETTE ( 0.47 )
10 - ROONEY ( 0.41 )

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Not much between him and what Chicharito was under Sir Alex tbh. Not a very good passer, not a very good dribbler, not great at running with the ball or link up play, not a creative player... But he definitely knows how to find positions in the box where the ball will drop and he's a very good finisher to his credit. All he seems to be though.
:nono:

He is more like Jermaine Defoe. :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I must have seen a different Jesus this season, one who is actually very good in the build-up and often provides an assist or assist to the assist.
Its not that hes poor per se just that when things go wrong for him he looks shocking and I guess the fact his competition is probably the best striker in the league over the last 7 or 8 years means he's judged harsher.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
I’m not actually sure how I feel about Jesus. I definitely prefer to see Aguero in the team.

Can’t tell if Jesus is actually a top tier goalscorer or just a good one benefitting from our system (in the same way sterling is, if sterling could shoot like Aguero he’d be competing with Salah for the Golden Boot).

I don’t particularly buy into the argument that he offers more on the build up than Aguero, but then I’ve never thought Aguero was particularly bad at it. Either way Aguero only has another season or 2 left with us and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new option come in.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Gave Davinson Sanchez one of his hardest games today but purely because of his movement rather than facing him up and taking him on (which he didn't need to do based on this particular game). Potential to be a world class poacher but I fear too limited at this moment in time to be a starter 9 for a Pep side - someone like Firmino is a better fit for that style of side (as long as you have a reliable goal getter from the wings) or a peak Suarez/Aguero if you don't. Great asset to have in your squad though.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

What's the statistic of his, won every game he has played in for City, bar the 2-3 to United last week?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Jesus is a fantastic player. People forget he is only 20. The movement is exceptional, and he’s already a very good finisher. The comparisons with Hernandez are bonkers IMO. He’s already better in the build up, and he’s miles from his peak. Top player. If he keeps improving, he’ll be a beast in 2-3 years time.

roonster09

Scout
Jesus is a fantastic player. People forget he is only 20. The movement is exceptional, and he’s already a very good finisher. The comparisons with Hernandez are bonkers IMO. He’s already better in the build up, and he’s miles from his peak. Top player. If he keeps improving, he’ll be a beast in 2-3 years time.
Maybe because he is 21. :D

IrishRedDevil

My fantasy football jinx worked :lol:

Still hate this shit little player though. He will never be anywhere near the quality of Aguero.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
great movement, lovely touch and still young but not sure I can see him becoming a consistent 20+ season striker, no idea why

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
great movement, lovely touch and still young but not sure I can see him becoming a consistent 20+ season striker, no idea why
At the moment he's asked to chase down opposing CB/DM's giving them no time on the ball and get heavily involved in the build up with assists and pre-assists a part of his game.
He may change roles when Sergio (and likely Pep) go in 2 years time.

bebeanderson

Seems to be hitting form again after 2 bad injuries in his 19 year old frame.

People were writing him off lmao..