Galatasaray fans in the home end

SambaBoy

You've probably all seen the videos but how was that allowed to happen?

I've been warned by the club for giving a ticket to non-members and threatened with ST being revoked. My mate also gave his ticket to the Charity foundation of the club and he was told by a friend that normally sits next to him that a Galatasaray fan was sitting in his seat.

Is this just the club trying to make even more money over fans safety?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Problem is that anyone in the world can buy a membership and then buy a ticket in the home end

For midweek games there are always more tickets available too

I'm told quite a lot of these tickets were bought by Turkish community in the UK rather than travelling fans so blocking purchases from Turkey wouldn't have stopped it either

Barcelona had a similar problem last season when Frankfurt fans bought thousands of tickets in the home end

Last edited:

Hantori12

There was loads for general sale yesterday morning. It was only £80 in the quads with hospitality included. Nothing the club can do in fairness. We've done the same before. Although if that happened in the return leg there would be killings

Reactions: Rood

Perro Caca

It'll just mean tighter restrictions on resold tickets, I can imagine photo ID or something of that nature. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, I don't have a season ticket and I've used third party websites to get tickets before, this could be the death nail for that.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
There were a bunch of oppo fans in the upper tier North stand. To be fair they kept their counsel when their team scored.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As people have said, it happens - especially when there's tickets on sale.

I have no problem with it really, as long as they're not behaving like wally's who cares? Would it be better for our atmosphere if they were United fans? obviously... but then I'm sure loads of us have watched United from the home end of other grounds... I know I have multiple times.

FortunaUtd

Problem is that anyone in the world can buy a membership and then buy a ticket in the home end

For midweek games there are always more tickets available too

I'm told quite a lot of these tickets were bought by Turkish community in the UK rather than travelling fans so blocking purchases from Turkey wouldn't have stopped it either

Barcelona had a similar problem last season when Frankfurt fans bought thousands of tickets in the home end
That people can manage to buy tickets is one thing - but are they allowed to enter home stands at OT while clearly being identifiable as opposition fans (via scarves, shirts etc)? I am just asking because in German stadia for safety reasons you usually will not be allowed to enter a home/away stand as an identifiable fan of the other team, valid ticket or not.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That people can manage to buy tickets is one thing - but are they allowed to enter home stands at OT while clearly being identifiable as opposition fans (via scarves, shirts etc)? I am just asking because in German stadia for safety reasons you usually will not be allowed to enter a home/away stand as an identifiable fan of the other team, valid ticket or not.
No but I'm sure they were not displaying away colours when they entered

You will get a security pat down when entering the stadium but no one will ask you to unzip your coat

BTW I have sat in the home end at United away matches on several occasions - it happens all the time but this time the numbers were far higher than usual which is why it's become an issue

Last edited:

K Stand Knut

It'll just mean tighter restrictions on resold tickets, I can imagine photo ID or something of that nature. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, I don't have a season ticket and I've used third party websites to get tickets before, this could be the death nail for that.
No it won’t because that might mean lower revenue for the club.

Jordi Cruyff 99

Imagine grown men getting annoyed because they're sat or stood next to the opposing club's fans.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Utd selling hospitality tickets to whoever will buy them without a thought to an eventuality like this.

All the while taking more and more tickets away from members, yet making moving tickets on etc harder by the week.

Perro Caca

Imagine grown men getting annoyed because they're sat or stood next to the opposing club's fans.
If this was Rugby or any other civilised sport I'd agree, but given the history of violence in the stands in Turkey and England it was a miracle nothing worse kicked off.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
It was obvious on the way in that Galatasary fans were heading into the home end. There were a few group outside the superstore and they held their hands up so others could find and join them. I never see that kind of behaviour from home fans and oppo fans are normally travelling together anyway

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If this was Rugby or any other civilised sport I'd agree, but given the history of violence in the stands in Turkey and England it was a miracle nothing worse kicked off.
If you throw a punch in a football stadium in the UK you'll be nicked before you can get a battered sausage post match - completely pointless and has all but eradicated it.

GeordieRed

It was very close to kicking off in N3408. Massive group of gala fans who all presumably bought the “Museum Plus” hospitality ticket for £175

Going absolutely ballistic when they scored, intimidating and harassing United fans, abusing the stewards (who did nothing other than plead with them to calm down every time they went mental)

At one point reinforcements and the deputy head steward who just made things worse by shouting and screaming at them to sit down.

Lots of aggro between gala fans and the understandably irate United fans further down the section, and people who were surrounded by gala fans having to be moved to new seats away from the bulk of them (mostly the top half of the section)

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think it was just nice to see home fans at ot happy for once.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If you throw a punch in a football stadium in the UK you'll be nicked before you can get a battered sausage post match - completely pointless and has all but eradicated it.
I used to work at Old Trafford as a Steward, and the last time oppo fans snuck into the home end caused a fight which the police weren't even quick enough at dealing with. This was during the europa league loss to Liverpool, a group of them had snuck in and when they scored the winning goal started cheering which caused a fight, and one steward got injured in his face. It's not THAT simple, mate.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I used to work at Old Trafford as a Steward, and the last time oppo fans snuck into the home end caused a fight which the police weren't even quick enough at dealing with. This was during the europa league loss to Liverpool, a group of them had snuck in and when they scored the winning goal started cheering which caused a fight, and one steward got injured in his face. It's not THAT simple, mate.
I have absolutely no idea what point you are making here?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I have absolutely no idea what point you are making here?
The point is that the police don't always make stadiums as safe as you're making out, just look at what happened in the last match. Also, I was there when St. Ettiene fans were scuffling with police outside the megastore, the potential for violence is always there and is not always easily stopped.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The point is that the police don't always make stadiums as safe as you're making out, just look at what happened in the last match. Also, I was there when St. Ettiene fans were scuffling with police outside the megastore, the potential for violence is always there and is not always easily stopped.
UK football grounds are extremely safe places but isolated incidents still happen yes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Away fans sneaking into home areas, keeping quiet and low key, no problem.

Away fans mass congregating in gangs in the home ends and going nuts when they score? Huge problem that could result in real issues.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It was very close to kicking off in N3408. Massive group of gala fans who all presumably bought the “Museum Plus” hospitality ticket for £175

Going absolutely ballistic when they scored, intimidating and harassing United fans, abusing the stewards (who did nothing other than plead with them to calm down every time they went mental)

At one point reinforcements and the deputy head steward who just made things worse by shouting and screaming at them to sit down.

Lots of aggro between gala fans and the understandably irate United fans further down the section, and people who were surrounded by gala fans having to be moved to new seats away from the bulk of them (mostly the top half of the section)
In this kind of case they should be ejected immediately - but stewards are pretty useless nowadays and don't want to get involved in anything difficult

I would hope the club were clever enough to block any ticket purchase from Turkey, but difficult to stop any purchased from other countries

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s a bad idea, especially when it’s a European game. Could all kick off and people get hurt. I’ve seen this sort of stuff in like the MLS though where they mix fans inside the stadium but they all get on a lot better than over here.

m1tch

Football's just like that though ain't it. Grown men at best acting like teenage boys going through puberty, certainly if their team loses or someone says their team is not as good as theirs, or that their team smells like poo, etc. At worst they'll beat the living daylights out of each other for those very same reasons.

The more you think about what football fans do, the more strange it gets. Men singing songs about, and to, young men playing football. Half the songs saying we'll smash up or kill rival fans, all of the songs full of expletives to show how hard and cool we are. Football fans rarely grow up.

So yeah, standing next to a rival fan is gonna be a big deal for a lot of them.

Tyrion

Yagami

Good post resistant
Honestly, it felt like they were the home team drowning out our fans. When we had possession, it was an European away atmosphere with the whistling, yet, when they had possession, nothing.

The whole club is just dead. Even the fan atmosphere.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Honestly, it felt like they were the home team drowning out our fans. When we had possession, it was an European away atmosphere with the whistling, yet, when they had possession, nothing.

The whole club is just dead. Even the fan atmosphere.
We don't whistle the opposition players when they have possession. We never have done. It's a weird leap to claim that the Old Trafford atmosphere is dead because of a lack of whistling, although I'm sure the TRA would appreciate your valuable feedback.

Stretfordender

Nothing surprises me about united anymore and how these dirty parasites run our club. What a shame this great institution has been left to rot.

Wheato

As soon as I turned up at my seat, I noticed 8 Turkish lads on the row infront with half an half scarves.

And then groups of them dotted around all over. This was in the SAF stand, second tier.

As a season ticket holder, the club does contact us if we cannot attend games and you can either get your money back if they re-sell the seat or you can donate it to the United foundation.

What I cannot fathom, is 8 people in a row all giving up their seats so that the same group of mates can all sit next to each other. Or from the footage released, there is a block of about 500 Galatasaray fans sat together in the top tier of the East Stand.

That doesn't happen by chance.