Game 38 - Wales v Northern Ireland

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Really really looking forward to this one. Delighted the republic won to set up this battle of britain as i hated the thought of playing France. This game should suit us much better, obviously players that the NI team are much more aware of, and so much will come down to how Gareth Bale performs. The pressure is also now on Wales who are quite rightly favourites but in a knockout anything can happen and if we can capitalise maybe from an early set piece from the formidable McCauley we have a strong defence and endeavour that will hopefully keep Wales out.

On a personal note gutted i had to give my tickets away for this one. There simply isn't enough planes/boats going to France and those that are are getting completely ripped off. Our attendance will massively suffer as a result which is very disappointing for our biggest game in over 30 years.

Cutch

The team i would go with for NI is as follows:

------------------McGovern-----------------

Hughes----McCauley----Cathcart----Evans

------------Norwood------McNair----------

Ward-----------------Davis-----------Dallas

----------------------Lafferty---------------

Corry evans is a worker but has such limited quality that he has to make way for McNair imo. I'd also go with big Kyle upfront who i know is chomping at the bit to get back in the side. He'll be running like a man possessed if he gets the nod and i think at his best will offer more of a threat than Washington who i've admittedly been impressed with.

The dream is for Will Grigg to come on late and score the winner. The scenes would be ridiculous

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The best description I've heard of this game is that it's a game you see happen in Football Manager when you're a good twenty years into a save. :lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hennessey

Gunter
Chester
Williams
Davies
Taylor

Ledley
Allen
Ramsey

Bale
Vokes

So hard not to get excited. I'm a little bit gutted that one of us will be knocked out but it should be amazing atmosphere and both nations biggest matches for years.

Cutch

So hard not to get excited. I'm a little bit gutted that one of us will be knocked out but it should be amazing atmosphere and both nations biggest matches for years.
A great atmosphere but as i say i think ours will be seriously diluted. Many have been over for 2 weeks already and are penniless by this time and the rest of us have no way of getting there.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Hennessey

Gunter
Chester
Williams
Davies
Taylor

Ledley
Allen
Ramsey

Bale
Vokes

You're from Neath? Cool.

There'll be a cracking atmosphere for this, really looking forward to it.

mikey_d

Would be surprised if we changed formation for this one and bring in James Collins.

Something like

Hennessey
Gunter Collins Williams Davies
Ledley Allen
Bale Ramsey HRK
Vokes

Cutch

Is Martin Atkinson actually the ref for this one? Isn't that a bit weird?
I don't think it is. With 2 british teams its good to have a referee also from that part of the world imo who should understand how the game will be played. My issue is that Atkinson is a shit referee, and i'd have much preferred Clattenburg who i rate very highly.

Laphroaig

I don't think it is. With 2 british teams its good to have a referee also from that part of the world imo who should understand how the game will be played. My issue is that Atkinson is a shit referee, and i'd have much preferred Clattenburg who i rate very highly.
Fair enough. And I agree that having him referee any game in big tournaments (like the Premier League) is a huge problem in itself.

saivet

Expect Wales to go through, but hoping NI do the business.

Cutch

I think it'll be attack vs defence, could be pretty close.
We (NI) generally don't play defensive unless we're playing a really top side Germany when we're completely outclassed. Throughout the qualifiers we played much more like we did against Ukraine trying and succeeding to play the best football to watch I've seen in years watching Norn Iron. I would expect us to do likewise today providing our players rise to the occasion and don't be overawed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Doubt it. Don't think we'll win but spanking is very unlikely.
Yeah Northern Ireland won't be on the attack and leaving holes everywhere like Russia did. 1 goal will separate us.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Wales are much better and hope they win here even though I like Northern Ireland a lot. With a bit of luck Bale and Ramsey could lead them into final, Bale is the best player on this side of ladder.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Wales are much better and hope they win here even though I like Northern Ireland a lot. With a bit of luck Bale and Ramsey could lead them into final, Bale is the best player on this side of ladder.
Modric is better

ScarecrOgilvy

Small world, Cwmafan here.

Insanely up for this game! As much as I hate to have to put N.Ireland out I can't see us losing this, hope we keep the same shape and adopt the same mentality as we did Vs Russia.

2-0 Wales - Bale, Vokes.

Come on the lads !

Furious George

I think Blodwyn Pig might have been Welsh. They had that bloke from 'Yes' in their original line up, and he went on to invent prog rock.

Furious George

I`m sure Blodwyn Pig were from London . Then again so was Vinnie Jones .
I think you can be Welsh and come from London. There's that rugby team called 'London Welsh'.

I think being Welsh is more of a harmless habit than an actual nationality, a bit like how I imagine being left handed feels.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Wales XI: Hennessey, Gunter, Chester, Williams, Taylor, Davies, Ledley, Ramsey, Allen, Vokes, Bale

Northern Ireland XI: McGovern, J Evans, Cathcart, McAuley, Hughes, Dallas, Norwood, C Evans, S Davis, Ward, K Lafferty