g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Game 44: Italy vs Spain

marlowe78

De Gea should have done better with that but WTF are Spain doing there? Standing there watching.

Ban

Ball goes at him,its a fast and strong shot but he should somehow adjust his hands to push it to the side. Sounds legit.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Because Italy are so strong defensively through central areas and they also drop numbers in behind the ball its very congested for the Spanish to try and attack. The Spanish need to use the width in the italian half to spread the Italian defence out laterally.

Moonred

Don't see it. You can't expect a keeper to be flawless in every situation. It was hit in a way where it landed just before it reached him which most keepers, even the best ones, would have difficulty with.

Also, people seem to have forgotten the two world class saves he pulled off earlier in the game to keep them in it and are farcically pretending like he's having a bad game when he's easily their best player so far.
Don't know about others, I certainly don't think he has been poor and pulled off numerous good/brilliant saves which has kept Spain in the game. This one he could have done better. I know people will remember the little error if the score finishes like it is but obviously the bigger picture is that Conte and Italy have outclassed Spain so far.

prateik

He tried to push it away but the ball wobbled in the air, you can't account for that in the space of 0.001 seconds. His defenders needed to react much quicker.
He had a clear view of the strike from over 25 yards away.
He should have held on to it..

The movement wasnt anything unexpected. He went to push the ball and moved his hands early. Misjudged it. He takes the blame imo.

Been good other than that, but he made a mistake trying to push the ball and went too early.
The little movement the ball had, was away from the goal. If anything, without the movement, it would have been even further away from where he hands were.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Is he feck better than Neuer. Take off the a United glasses.
Why is so bizarre to say he's better than Neuer? De Gea has done more for United than Neuer has for Bayern. I bet if it was the other way around and Neuer was behind the United defense for the last three seasons he would've done way worse. How many world class and game deciding saves does De Gea have to make to impress people like you?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Why is so bizarre to say he's better than Neuer? De Gea has done more for United than Neuer has for Bayern. I bet if it was the other way around and Neuer was behind the United defense for the last three seasons he would've done way worse. How many world class and game deciding saves does De Gea have to make to impress people like you?
What

donkeyfish

Their pressing is misguided and inappropriate allowing the italians to do what they have set up tactically
It reminds me of something I read I think in a book about LvG, how he played slowly at the back to "lure" out the opposition forwards and midfield - creating huge gaps behind.

In any case, prime Spain was "impossible" to play through due to excellent pressing - thats not been the case at all in this game.

Enigma_87

You know who
How do you expect him to have time to angle his arms in the correct fashion to push the ball in a certain direction from a low shot with full power from 20 yards out, especially with the ball bouncing just before him?

Now watch that, cuntbags
First of all the ball didn't bounce, look at the replay again.
Second yes he should have pushed it away he had a clear look at it and no one blocked his view.
Third, making a mistake doesn't take away the other 3 world class saves.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
What do you mean impress me? I think he's the second best in the world, I'm not unimpressed.

I criticised a basic error, that's it.

DDG is the best goalie in the world, in my opinion. But doesn't mean he's free from criticism. Should have done better.

Italy have been excellent, as expected.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Look at the dicks in the Spanish defence, once again De Goat saves the day. These pillocks doesn't deserve a keeper like him.
'De Goat' fecking hell :lol: Get off his dick, it's not because he's a United player that he's free of criticism. He's obviously world class, yes.

De Gea is at a minimum on par with Neuer, who hasn't exactly been at his best of late.
He's been sublime this tournament. And no mistakes so far unlike DDG who has had arguably two mistakes that led to goals (not sure I agree with the one against Croatia but many people do).

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester
jesus christ are we going to compare Neuer and DDG again? Back to topic: a couple of big saves from big dave, he could have tried to push the ball to the side rather than trying to catch; I would'nt call it a big mistake but he could have done better, was a good and hard freekick.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Really starting to worry about Conte at chelsea, technically tactically well drilled its fascinating to watch the amount of game intelligence present. If those Chelsea players buy in to his way of doing things they could be very very good.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It reminds me of something I read I think in a book about LvG, how he played slowly at the back to "lure" out the opposition forwards and midfield - creating huge gaps behind.

In any case, prime Spain was "impossible" to play through due to excellent pressing - thats not been the case at all in this game.
Because the Spanish front 3 are being drawn so far forward by Italy going all the way back in possession it means there are greater gaps between the Spanish players. its hard to press collectively when your players are being spread out.

Mancunia_Religion

Spain have been outclassed,battered and embarrassed. This should be 3-0 to Italy tbh De Gea should be pushing that away though but I won't get on him too much for it because he's kept Spain in the game.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
What do you mean impress me? I think he's the second best in the world, I'm not unimpressed.

I criticised a basic error, that's it.
Fair enough but to laugh at somebody for saying De Gea is better than Neuer is bizarre to me. No doubt they are the two best keeper in the world but I genuinely believe De Gea is the better goalkeeper.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Hahahah what are you smoking mate??
Are you seriously claiming that Neuer had a better league season last season than De Gea did? How many shots and clear chances do you think Neuer had to stop each match in that one-team league? 2 or perhaps 3? De Gea did that every match, every 15 minutes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He had a clear view of the strike from over 25 yards away.
He should have held on to it..

The movement wasnt anything unexpected. He went to push the ball and moved his hands early. Misjudged it. He takes the blame imo.

Been good other than that, but he made a mistake trying to push the ball and went too early.
The little movement the ball had, was away from the goal. If anything, without the movement, it would have been even further away from where he hands were.
It dipped late. It's soaking wet. It was a great strike and impossible to anticipate. It was in no way shape or form "a howler".

Enigma_87

You know who
Its far from basic given the circumstances - wet ball and trajectory.

Edit - oh another world class save. How basic. ;)
Again making a mistake doesn't erase all the good he has done before and after the goal. If Hart did the same as DDG for the goal he'll be crucified here.

Dreadnought

Spain have been outclassed,battered and embarrassed. This should be 3-0 to Italy tbh De Gea should be pushing that away though but I won't get on him too much for it because he's kept Spain in the game.
I'll need to get pissed if Spain find their way out of this.