Game 44: Italy vs Spain

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looking at that goal again... Ball shot with loads of power, dipped right in front of de gea and swerved a bit, not sure you can blame De Gea too much. Should do a bit better of course, and normally you would expect him to, but Spain literally didn't move from the shot until the goal. Pique the only one, the rest just ball watched.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Spain have been outclassed,battered and embarrassed. This should be 3-0 to Italy tbh De Gea should be pushing that away though but I won't get on him too much for it because he's kept Spain in the game.
Spain could still win this, will be interesting to see what they change in their approach at half time because what they are did in the first half played into Italy's tactics

Raoul

Admin
Staff
DDG is the best goalie in the world, in my opinion. But doesn't mean he's free from criticism. Should have done better.

Italy have been excellent, as expected.
He's been pretty much on par or better than Neuer. People are just stuck in the reality distortion field from 2 years ago when people that Neuer was invincible.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The biggest problem with Spain's style is it's not designed for them to play it without the game either being in their favour or drawing. They can't work a team apart if they've no reason to come out, and then they can just sit deep and spring on the counter as the Spanish are forced to make riskier and riskier plays.

This could easily turn into a multiple goal defeat if Spain don't score early in the 2nd half.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Wow what's wrong with some people here. No one said de Gea is not a world class goalkeeper, he's obviously great. Doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, it's really no big deal. And of course it was a mistake (and of course the goal was down to that mistake AND the defense), that's not really a matter of opinion..

Sylar

Tournament football, its hard to judge (we saw that with LVG) but Conte looks tactically fantastic. And his football is fun to watch. Chelsea getting a decent young manager (well for at least two seasons before hes gone) :P

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Really starting to worry about Conte at chelsea, technically tactically well drilled its fascinating to watch the amount of game intelligence present. If those Chelsea players buy in to his way of doing things they could be very very good.
He's a great manager I just hope he'll do a van Gaal. He did great with Holland in the 2014 WC and got us United fans hyped then disappointed us when he arrived at United.

prarek

Atletico Madrid averaged 5-6 Spanish players a game this season. Their players would be perfect for this kind of game. Instead Del Bosque has used only 1 of their players.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Tournament football, its hard to judge (we saw that with LVG) but Conte looks tactically fantastic. And his football is fun to watch. Chelsea getting a decent young manager (well for at least two seasons before hes gone) :P
Actually LVG's team in Brazil looked dull as feck, apart from that freak game vs Spain. I was worried he'd make us play the same way and he did.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
forget Pep. Mourinho will have to get the better of Conte.

We groaned when van Gaal played 3 at the back. Conte does not simply flood the midfield, he dominates the other side with the aim of getting at their defence ASAP.
They have 3 or 4 players in the box.

Spain have quality and they will need to use every ounce of it if they are going to beat Italy.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
What does Cesc do? fecks me off how badly he's destroyed the midfield when he's played for Barcelona and Spain, an absolute charlatan.

Enigma_87

You know who
Wow what's wrong with some people here. No one said de Gea is not a world class goalkeeper, he's obviously great. Doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, it's really no big deal. And of course it was a mistake (and of course the goal was down to that mistake AND the defense), that's not really a matter of opinion..
Apparently it's either if you are one of the best keepers in the world you are immune to mistakes or if you make a mistake you are not one of the best in the world. No middle ground.

jungledrums

No it's not weird reaction considering all the "worlds best keeper" statements that were made just minutes ago. De Gea is a great keeper, but this circle jerk around him tends to go a little over the top sometimes
He's the best shot stopper in the world, Neuer arguably the better all round keeper because his sweeping is usually brilliant enough to stamp chances out before they even occur. Either way, the two are very close.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I voted for France to win but then after watching how Italy played against Scotland in a friendly a few weeks back I saw what they were doing but wasnt able to change my vote. They might still get beaten here but I do think they would be the dark horses to win this based on what Conte has been doing with his "relatively" limited squad.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Yes, I agree. It's a debatable point. I don't understand why making a credible claim on either side would bring about that kind of response.
Because going on full jizz mode every time he makes a save, and implying only his highness Sir Dave and nobody else in the world could have saved it just asks for that this kind of snide remark.
It usually comes with the belittling of other keepers, too. Your fellow supporter claiming Neuer is an overrated heap of trash is only the highlight.

Bruno8

Think its easy to say he should have done better after the fact but in reality that was a toughfree kick to save in such wet conditions

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Fabregas represents the state of Spain's side at the minute. Creative, technical, knows everything but his legs and guts have gone.
Cesc lost his technique years ago. Pathetic touch these days and no agility.

prateik

It dipped late. It's soaking wet. It was a great strike and impossible to anticipate. It was in no way shape or form "a howler".
Agree to disagree then. Not a "Taibi".. But he should have saved it. He made a mistake and Italy scored.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Atletico Madrid averaged 5-6 Spanish players a game this season. Their players would be perfect for this kind of game. Instead Del Bosque has used only 1 of their players.
Well he has only selected 2 and isn't even playing the better one.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
'De Goat' fecking hell :lol: Get off his dick, it's not because he's a United player that he's free of criticism. He's obviously world class, yes.

He's been sublime this tournament. And no mistakes so far unlike DDG who has had arguably two mistakes that led to goals (not sure I agree with the one against Croatia but many people do).
If you take away the form of their outfield players, they have been on par. De Gea has made 3 world class saves in the past 45 minutes alone, which even if you thought the goal was a mistake on his part, completely outweigh the goal. Without those saves they would easily be down 4-0 at HT

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Well done Del Bosque. You dinosaur mustache'd fat prick. I'm done with this shit. I bet he doesn't even change anything at half time, just watch.