Other Game spoilers thread for The Last of Us TV Show - Enter at your own risk (Contains spoilers for Last of Us Parts 1 & 2)

gorky_utd

@gorky_utd

The second game is much darker, its brutality relentless and its themes emotionally hard-hitting. It hit me hard. It will also be much more difficult to transfer to the TV in my opinion, but the consensus seems to be it'll be split over two seasons - which fits the game's narrative well. The first game's linearity made a transfer to live action easy, but Part II jumps all over the place.
Ok. Thanks.

Sylar

They gave one redemption arc and other revenge arc. No wonder Abby arc felt better. It was designed like that.
Both arcs were supposed to feel whole when looked at together. Ellie’s arc initially is what Abby goes through in her hunt for Joel but it is not shown to us. Culmination of both arcs is ugly with Ellie killing a pregnant lady amongst others and Abby killing Joel in ghastly manner. Their subsequent arcs are complementary with added subtext of two violent groups continuing a cycle of violence. I think Ellies final arc in California was good end to the game.
Yeah ultimately it was tragic when you see it all together. I think it could be amazing TV If done right

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yeah ultimately it was tragic when you see it all together. I think it could be amazing TV If done right
Gonna take some big performances to pull it off. Definitely need to flesh out the story more too in the second season otherwise it won't hit.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I honestly think the second game would be way too miserable for a popular tv show :lol: it’s great but they need to change it up a bit.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I definitely feel they made Joel more outwardly ‘likeable’ and Marlene a lot colder to cushion the bleakness of the end for TV… which has the potential to make the animosity toward Abby an even bigger deal in S2. Though we’ll inevitably get some extended backstory with her dad to help with that too. Especially since it’s split in two.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I definitely feel they made Joel more outwardly ‘likeable’ and Marlene a lot colder to cushion the bleakness of the end for TV… which has the potential to make the animosity to Abby an even bigger deal in S2. Though we’ll inevitably get some extended backstory with her dad to help with that too. Especially since it’s split in two.
There was a little bit of backstory with her dad in the game. Seemed a good guy when he's not open to killing kids on a hunch.

Sylar

Gonna take some big performances to pull it off. Definitely need to flesh out the story more too in the second season otherwise it won't hit.
I'm sure Bella will do fantastic

Intrigued for the abby side of things as that's gonna need somebody good

Tarrou

I’ve enjoyed this a lot, got one episode left to go

The lead girls been impressive I have to say. The first episode the performance felt a bit clunky, and I criticised her.. but I got that wrong

The two leads have great chemistry too

Bosws87

Super rushed the final episode as expected.

The ending was ok but a little rushed and the Rambo esque scenes were a little silly.

All in all a solid translation to tv but nowhere near as well produced or solid as the game I’d say it’s a solid 7 not sure the second series will hit those heights but we will see.

The show got weaker as it went on.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't think they can tell the story of Part 2 the same way in two seasons of TV. Abby turning up at the start before vanishing for the remainder of Season 2, Ellie subsequently on the hunt. Abby for all of Season 3 with little involving Ellie, calling back to events from Season 2 that many viewers wouldn't have watched in over a year?

Genuinely think they're going to go drag out Joel's fate and keep it until the end of the second season, or at the very least a mid season shock.

Ellie is travelling to Salt Lake on a 'revenge mission' that isn't fully disclosed. Joel and Tommy's story from the start of the game is expanded upon with references to Joel and Ellie falling out and not seeing each other for a while. It seems like both stories are in the same timeline when, as the later episodes come around, it becomes clear that all of the Joel/Tommy stuff is just flashbacks.

Abby could be introduced as a character in a similar flashback to Joel and Tommy's, gives us time to get to know her a bit better and sympathise with her. All of it culminates in a bit of golf practice where the characters meet for the first time.

Sylar

I don't think they can tell the story of Part 2 the same way in two seasons of TV. Abby turning up at the start before vanishing for the remainder of Season 2, Ellie subsequently on the hunt. Abby for all of Season 3 with little involving Ellie, calling back to events from Season 2 that many viewers wouldn't have watched in over a year?

Genuinely think they're going to go drag out Joel's fate and keep it until the end of the second season, or at the very least a mid season shock.

Ellie is travelling to Salt Lake on a 'revenge mission' that isn't fully disclosed. Joel and Tommy's story from the start of the game is expanded upon with references to Joel and Ellie falling out and not seeing each other for a while. It seems like both stories are in the same timeline when, as the later episodes come around, it becomes clear that all of the Joel/Tommy stuff is just flashbacks.

Abby could be introduced as a character in a similar flashback to Joel and Tommy's, gives us time to get to know her a bit better and sympathise with her. All of it culminates in a bit of golf practice where the characters meet for the first time.

I think the big shock can be S2 ending
Then S3 they could have Abby's parallel go with Ellie's parallel and then it meets up. They have choices the way they wanna go.

Drawfull

I think the big shock can be S2 ending
Then S3 they could have Abby's parallel go with Ellie's parallel and then it meets up. They have choices the way they wanna go.
That means a lot of potential filler though in S2. Mr Pigeon's idea is a good shout that might work.

I think it was in the Torygraph i read that they're going to have to walk the same tightrope with marketing that the game did, and considering some felt cheated by that I wonder how audiences will view the same thing in the TV version. They can't leave Joel out of the marketing, but by the same token they can't really have Abby headlining it either.

Ted Lasso

Mmm they could also go the other way and have Joel die early. When you start playing the game you're immediately struck by the big breakdown in the relationship with Ellie with her having found out about the hospital.

How do you get to the ending of TLOU2 of Ellie more or less forgiving the late Joel?

It might be too much to have S2 of the show lead up to the breakdown and then killing Joel right after.

Genuinely don't know how they can do it, but they've done a great job w S1 so high expectations

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its gonna be super challenging and I'm psyched to see how they handle it.

After season 1 I have confidence they'll pull it off.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Mmm they could also go the other way and have Joel die early. When you start playing the game you're immediately struck by the big breakdown in the relationship with Ellie with her having found out about the hospital.

How do you get to the ending of TLOU2 of Ellie more or less forgiving the late Joel?

It might be too much to have S2 of the show lead up to the breakdown and then killing Joel right after.

Genuinely don't know how they can do it, but they've done a great job w S1 so high expectations
There could be a tragedy to it if the narratives were split/timeline split. You're spending the season seeing Joel and Ellie apart over what appears to be some sort of falling out. And then the reality hits that he died before they could reconcile, which further adds to Ellie's pursuit for revenge.

Mazin is the writing wizard, though. And Druckmann is no slouch either. I'm sure whatever they give us will be adapted really well for TV.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Season 2 should start with Abby killing Joel and end with Abby having a gun to Tommy's head in the theatre.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Season 2 should start with Abby killing Joel and end with Abby having a gun to Tommy's head in the theatre.
They don't have enough story after that point to stretch to the whole of S3. Abby Ellie first fight is not going to be like the game where it lasts for a while. The only option to extend the storyline would be to dwell more on Abby's arc in California, showing how she ended up being crucified and also expanding even more on Ellie's life in Jackson before she leaves to get revenge again. Not sure there is enough juice in either to keep it interesting for a season long arc.

Showrunners BTW even bizarrely hinted that S2 storyline could even be more than 2 seasons! I don't think that will be the case but I believe with the reception Bill's expanded storyline got in this season they will expand on a lot of other arcs which only exist to add context in the game. I think we will see more of Joel and Abby in Jackson and likely not have Joel killed in first episode. Then won't be surprised if they expand more on Abby's gang and Seraphites, most definitely going into origins of their respective leaders and the conflict. Not sure then what will be a logical end point for S2 though. They might run Ellie and Abby arc in Seattle concurrently and end it with Ellie committing her first cold blooded murder, along with Abby departing to go to save Lev with Yara.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Feels like they rushed this season. I felt like there was much more content in the first game to last two seasons but it now seems like they want to focus more on the second game for seasons 2 and 3. I don’t think the second game was as good as the first.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Petition to ban the word "rushed" from the Caf.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Feels like they rushed this season. I felt like there was much more content in the first game to last two seasons but it now seems like they want to focus more on the second game for seasons 2 and 3. I don’t think the second game was as good as the first.
There really wasnt that much more content in the first one outside infected.

The second game is the best game naughty dog have produced and uncharted is my favourite game series ever. It's better than the first with an amazing story.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Current level of acting makes it competent to carry this show through season 2 & 3 without bigger detriments imo. Last episode was quite gory and that's how it should be, perhaps it's unintentional sneak peek what we could see in further seasons.

I doubt the show will drop the ball from now, even if it feels really condensed at times. They can easily tweak some things to match the games as many shows spread wings in further seasons, rather than the first.

Last edited:

Bosws87

Petition to ban the word "rushed" from the Caf.
You can rush a story without the actual production being rushed it’s like it’s been skimmed.

condensed would be a better word.

I have had one thought this is the first series in a long time I’ve sat and watched weekly as each episode comes out, this method of viewing makes everything feel infinitely shorter then binge watching, just an idea.

Last edited:

JimmyWils

I'm not sure how well they would be able to split each season into Ellie then Abby focused seasons, it might alienate viewers who have such a bond with Ellie at that point, especially after Abby does you know what.

Maybe it's the case that splitting it like that worked in the game, but I loved the game and found it hard to get on board emotionally with Abby for a good couple of hours.

Genuinely curious to see how they do it, and also if they kill Joel in the first episode which would definitely be a curveball for those who don't know it's coming. Moreso when they'll likely have to show the relationship between Ellie and Joel being repaired like it was in the game.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it, because the first series was a great representation of the game for its focus on the characters over infected. Surely the next series' focus on these characters will flesh them out even more than the game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm not sure how well they would be able to split each season into Ellie then Abby focused seasons, it might alienate viewers who have such a bond with Ellie at that point, especially after Abby does you know what.
This could be a problem as it was in TWD, when there's too many character groups in later seasons which led to loss of focus and painfully delayed pacing.

Perhaps simple solution is to stretch further seasons to maybe around 10+ episodes and judging how serious casting is treated in TLoU, Abby could get at least competent actress.

Many shows usually expanding in scope after 1st season and this could be a natural way to expand... still it looks like serious challenge to match the current chemistry in 1st season, so it might be solely interesting how will they maneuver themselves out of this. (They probably already know.)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Maybe it's the case that splitting it like that worked in the game, but I loved the game and found it hard to get on board emotionally with Abby for a good couple of hours.

Genuinely curious to see how they do it, and also if they kill Joel in the first episode which would definitely be a curveball for those who don't know it's coming. Moreso when they'll likely have to show the relationship between Ellie and Joel being repaired like it was in the game.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it, because the first series was a great representation of the game for its focus on the characters over infected. Surely the next series' focus on these characters will flesh them out even more than the game.
They should do the first part of season 2 as all Abby, so the non gamer viewers think it's a complete new storyline in the same world.

Then when you know what happens, show the Ellie and joel storyline upto that point. In part B of the show.

If they don't know what's going to happen, and see Abby living a life with her mates, building bonds etc too, they might be more 50/50 when it comes down to the nitty gritty, and maybe won't just side with Ellie and joel.

JimmyWils

They should do the first part of season 2 as all Abby, so the non gamer viewers think it's a complete new storyline in the same world.

Then when you know what happens, show the Ellie and joel storyline upto that point. In part B of the show.

If they don't know what's going to happen, and see Abby living a life with her mates, building bonds etc too, they might be more 50/50 when it comes down to the nitty gritty, and maybe won't just side with Ellie and joel.
You know what? That's not a bad idea at all.

Good way to end the season would be the you know what with Abby and Joel. At that point people would be invested in her and understand it a lot more.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I see where you are coming from, but part of the genius of the second game was starting the players off HATING her with a passion and then forcing them, through "lived experience" to flip their perspective.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I think it has to do this to be honest.

If you can build an actual character in Abby before she does the deed it will be a lot better...Will be much better then "I don't like heights" being her main character trait.

It'll also mean you can build her friend group up more as characters so it'll mean more when Ellie offs them.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I see where you are coming from, but part of the genius of the second game was starting the players off HATING her with a passion and then forcing them, through "lived experience" to flip their perspective.
Yep! Wanting her dead and then at the end praying Ellie spares her. It's a great story.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Oooh that would be good.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Yep! Wanting her dead and then at the end praying Ellie spares her. It's a great story.
Exactly.

You've taken more or less everything from one another, you've both been hurt by eachother, call it fecking evens and let bygones be bygones.

Sylar

Whichever way they do it, im intrigued to see if they completely follow the game or decide to change it up.
Also @JimmyWils I like how you refer to it as you know what then within two sentences, flat out say what it is :lol: