Gaming Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (FINAL ROUND)

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Used to absolutely love these games with my friends. Setting up a 40 man royal rumble only to have our own custom dopey looking characters rolling out one by one was brilliant and hilarious.

I was never really into shooters much growing up so would always lean more towards single player adventure and RPGs. Love the original open world games even if that’s brought some recent fatigue these days. I feel like I’ve actually got more into FPS/third person shooter games in more recent years having really enjoyed games like Warzone, Destiny (1&2), RDR2.
We used to have PES/WWE on the PlayStation and then football manager on the olde packard bell (sp?). Literally crowded into a tiny bedroom keeping scores in PES games on a notepad. And like you said doing the royal rumbles and stuff too. There was one game before the smack down v raw series maybe even called warzone? Or something similar. And I remember you could do the campaign multiplayer which was really good because they took that out of the smack down games for a while or changed it in some way were it wasn’t as good for the second player.

I think it was just the fact for me that I grew up playing games with people more times than not so once things went online I always gravitated towards the competitive games. Battlefield 2 on pc back in the day was an immense game. It was just so much bigger in size compared to most other shooters back then and with so many vehicles on land air and sea.

I enjoyed Destiny too and played it a bit, if you like that you’d maybe like halo? I play a lot of warzone myself, the last few years I’ve just enjoyed battle royale games. But downloaded league of legends again after a 5 year hiatus so trying to get back into that!

(I feel I’m taking the thread off topic so feel free to tell me to shut up)

Moby

Dick
I do haha. I used to play cod at Lans and stuff so was proper into it for a while.

Aside from cod though I’d probably say League of Legends and Guild Wars are my next all time most played for gametime.

Used to love the old WWE games too with 6 friends in your room and a multi tap on the go doing a hell in a cell triple tag team or something.

I guess what I enjoy is competitive games and pvp. I rarely play and single player game and the only rpgs I really enjoyed were mmo. I do enjoy a few indie games though for couch play like Fat Princess and Overcooked particularly. Basically any game easy enough for my gf to play.

what do you play?
Top shouts there and yeah I also feel our voting leaned a lot towards single player gaming when for me multiplayer is pretty much the essence of what video games were made for in the first place. No matter how good a single player experience is it doesn't come close to a competitive environment especially in a group of people you know but also in public. I can definitely say that the best times I've had gaming were local multiplayer with my mates.

Thankfully the PC round came about and gave a good shout to multiplayer games. Especially the likes of CS which was absolutely huge. That was the cornerstone of every LAN party. Bunch of us used to book entire cyber cafes for days and just sit there smashing it all day. Absolutely beautiful times.

I kinda refrained voting for party games which contradicted my own rule of the first second third fourth and fifth purpose of ever playing a video game is having fun. Everything comes after. Games like Towerfall Ascension are pure gold when sat around with 4 people. Pretty much the entirety of my uni years with flatmates revolved around smashing FIFA, FPS games like Insurgency and party games like Gang Beasts, Brawlhalla and Towerfall. I mean I was blown away by a game like RDR2 for instance and objectively it's a far bigger and better game than those but the enjoyment I got from smashing those games with my flatmates is at another level. That's what it's all about at the end of the day.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We used to have PES/WWE on the PlayStation and then football manager on the olde packard bell (sp?). Literally crowded into a tiny bedroom keeping scores in PES games on a notepad. And like you said doing the royal rumbles and stuff too. There was one game before the smack down v raw series maybe even called warzone? Or something similar. And I remember you could do the campaign multiplayer which was really good because they took that out of the smack down games for a while or changed it in some way were it wasn’t as good for the second player.

I think it was just the fact for me that I grew up playing games with people more times than not so once things went online I always gravitated towards the competitive games. Battlefield 2 on pc back in the day was an immense game. It was just so much bigger in size compared to most other shooters back then and with so many vehicles on land air and sea.

I enjoyed Destiny too and played it a bit, if you like that you’d maybe like halo? I play a lot of warzone myself, the last few years I’ve just enjoyed battle royale games. But downloaded league of legends again after a 5 year hiatus so trying to get back into that!

I think I’d honestly have enjoyed Halo but always been a PlayStation player so never had the chance. Hopefully when I pick up the Steamdeck/gaming laptop I’ll be able to have a go at some of the Xbox classics including Halo.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

I was very much like you, loved playing WWE games, PES and Football Manager.

Also had a great time with COD MW2, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Mario Maker, Worms etc.

But you seem to have gone into battle royale games where I went into fighting games, which I used to play competitively.

Most of my mates eventually stopped playing fighting games and started getting into big, one player games like RDR, which I had no interest in so I kinda stopped gaming, only playing FIFA and that's it.

Multiplayer games for me are far more enjoyable than single player.

Luckily, with the Switch, I've found a nice balance of multiplayer games and quick burst indie games that I can pick up and play for small chunks of time. It's got me back into gaming.

I do miss my fighting games though I must say :(

Woodzy

Skimming through the thread and my finger in the air guess without counting is that FF7 is gonna take it closely followed by Witcher 3 and MGS.

Hollow Knight with an outside chance but too niche I think. Topped a lot of lists but others didn’t have it in there at all. I would love it to be Hollow Knight though, that’s the only redemption the caf can get for excluding every single LoZ game…

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Skimming through the thread and my finger in the air guess without counting is that FF7 is gonna take it closely followed by Witcher 3 and MGS.

Hollow Knight with an outside chance but too niche I think. Topped a lot of lists but others didn’t have it in there at all. I would love it to be Hollow Knight though, that’s the only redemption the caf can get for excluding every single LoZ game…
I'm playing Hollow Knight right now. Can't get enough of it. Need Silk Song to come out soon!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

The last thread I tried to add it up quickly in my head after skimming, I missed on Bloodborne. I suspect that is the case here where I’d have it having a good chance for the top 3.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

That would be DISGRACE (Drogba style)!

amolbhatia50k

Agreed. It should have been Hollow Knight, Street Fighter 2 or Alex Kidd :lol:
FFS you Hollow Knight crowd! Bet like Moby it's something like 423rd on your personal list :D

To be fair it's a brilliant game. But I'd never have it in my top 10.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
FFS you Hollow Knight crowd! Bet like Moby it's something like 423rd on your personal list :D

To be fair it's a brilliant game. But I'd never have it in my top 10.
My actual top 5 has it:

1. Tekken Tag Tournament
2. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
3. Hollow Knight
4. Alex Kidd
5. PES 6

Hollow Knight got me back into gaming after years in the wilderness :lol:

amolbhatia50k

My actual top 5 has it:

1. Tekken Tag Tournament
2. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
3. Hollow Knight
4. Alex Kidd
5. PES 6

Hollow Knight got me back into gaming after years in the wilderness :lol:
Good! Now time for you to play some better games.

*runs*

Moby

Dick
Multiplayer games for me are far more enjoyable than single player.
Yep, unfortunately I'm past the point of living in a dorm or a flat with my mates and don't really have enough motivation to get into the public online scene but if those people still lived around me we'd 100% be getting together for gaming nights and such. Easily the best experience.

That is until we get back on the Diablo 2 remake, and someone steals someone else's loot and we never speak to each other again. :lol:

Bosws87

That would be DISGRACE (Drogba style)!
Would be great FF7 > TW3 both great games but ff7 when you consider the hardware the time it was made is the better for me anyway.

I think my biggest issue with the lists is the greatest video game of all time for me isn't just my favourite game it's the influence its left on the industry, how groundbreaking it was at the time and what they achieved with the hardware available.

amolbhatia50k

Weirdo's aren't they.
To be fair us gaming nerds all have games we fanboy over! But I think HK while being beloved is less highly rated away from the Caf? Then again Witcher 3 had lower ratings than RDR2 but is considered among gaming people as the better game. It's all very subjective!

Moby

Dick
But I think HK while being beloved is less highly rated away from the Caf?
Nope, literally every circle I've discussed it in anyone who's played it has it as one of their best games ever. It has pretty much the most loyal fanbase you can think of and it's quite huge.

Why would it be rated highly specifically on the caf? :lol:

caid

Nope, literally every circle I've discussed it in anyone who's played it has it as one of their best games ever. It has pretty much the most loyal fanbase you can think of and it's quite huge.

Cant say i liked it much. I kind of get the appeal but just didn't click with me at all.

Moby

Dick
Cant say i liked it much. I kind of get the appeal but just didn't click with me at all.
There's always one. :mad:

Did you finish it? For most things I feel it comes down to taste but I totally get it why most people who go through the full experience rate it so highly, it 100% deserves it.

Ainu

I'll certainly admit us Hollow Knight fans can be pretty vocal on here. :D It's widely appreciated away from the caf as well, but it's clearly still a fairly niche game all things considered.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I'll certainly admit us Hollow Knights fans can be pretty vocal on here. :D It's widely appreciated away from the caf as well, but it's clearly still a fairly niche game all things considered.
I may have spent a 'little' bit of time hanging around the likes of fireb0rn, Rusty, Relyea, mossbag, monstahlar etc :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Maybe not highly specifically here but let's say there's a lot more noise here about it than Bloodborne or your other choices. It happens if a select bunch are vocal and love a game. If I found three Outer Wilds fans to keep chatting to about the game here it would come across the same so it's fine ! :)

Moby

Dick
Maybe not highly specifically here but let's say there's a lot more noise here about it than Bloodborne or your other choices. It happens if a select bunch are vocal and love a game. If I found three Outer Wilds fans to keep chatting to about the game here it would come across the same so it's fine ! :)
Pretty much every game gets discussed to bits on here.

Hollow Knight was on ps+ when most of us got it so a lot of people played it without having to buy it and I think that's when it was discussed the most. It definitely has a cult as do most other games.

Woodzy

Every time someone mentions Hollow Knight then it should count as another vote for Hollow Knight.

That’s two extra points right there.

caid

There's always one. :mad:

Did you finish it? For most things I feel it comes down to taste but I totally get it why most people who go through the full experience rate it so highly, it 100% deserves it.
No. I put about 10 - 12 hours in and just wasn't having fun. I normally love metroidvanias too. Maybe if i stuck it out a bit longer i'd find some power that made it fun but the pacing made it feel a bit of a drag. Maybe it was bad timing or something.

Moby

Dick
No. I put about 10 - 12 hours in and just wasn't having fun. I normally love metroidvanias too. Maybe if i stuck it out a bit longer i'd find some power that made it fun but the pacing made it feel a bit of a drag. Maybe it was bad timing or something.
Yeah man that early part is a bit tough to get through for a few but trust me give it a proper go when you can, and at least explore the whole game once fully. 100% worth it.

Irwin99

Has the Witcher 3 won this yet? :D Have enjoyed these threads a lot.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It took me a while to get into it. I even considered quitting. But during Soul Sanctum, it all clicked and now it's one of my favourite ever games!

Ainu

I may have spent a 'little' bit of time hanging around the likes of fireb0rn, Rusty, Relyea, mossbag, monstahlar etc :lol:
I love Relyea, such a chill dude. It was actually his live stream PoH comeback that inspired me to go the distance. Without his channel, I wouldn't have done the Path of Pain or the Pantheon. He just seems more human compared to those other names. They might as well be aliens or machines with their skill level.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I love Relyea, such a chill dude. It was actually his live stream PoH comeback that inspired me to go the distance. Without his channel, I wouldn't have done the Path of Pain or the Pantheon. He just seems more human compared to those other names. They might as well be aliens or machines with their skill level.
He is a cool dude. fireb0rn is quite badass also.

AaronRedDevil

I’m watching and judging all of you :lol:.
And you fecking Hollow Knight hipsters

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Fireb0rn is ridiculous, I've never learned anything from his videos. Dude's clearly a Jedi or something.
Yeah true, he's next level. I watched a run through on Celeste of his and I swear he was dashing THROUGH objects that kill normal players :lol:

I make myself feel better by assuming he's a glasses-wearing, pimply nerd that lives in his step-mums basement :lol: