Gaming Gaming RedCafe's Greatest Video Games Of All Time Contest (THE RESULTS)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ok, finally it's time to reveal the results!

After 10 grueling rounds and a final, we've finally come down to the top 30!

I will post 6 games per day throughout this week, which will give all the games enough time for discussion/arguement.

If I tag you in the reveal of a game, it means you are the person that had it highest on your final list, so it would be good if you chimed in with a few words about why you selected the game being revealed.

I will also fill in the list below for convenience, in case you simply want to see the results in list view.

1. The Witcher 3
2. Metal Gear Solid
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. The Last Of Us
5. Bloodborne
6. GTA: San Andreas
7. Street Fighter 2 (series)
8. Pokemon (colour series)
9. Red Dead Redemption
10. Age Of Empires 2
11. Half-Life 2
12. God Of War
13. World Of Warcraft
14. Super Mario Bros. 3
15. PES (series)
16. Star Wars: KOTOR
17. Shadow Of The Colossus
18. Counter Strike 1.6
19. Mass Effect
20. Hollow Knight
21. Football Manager (series)
22. Goldeneye
23. Deus Ex
24. Super Mario World
25. Half-Life
26. Tetris
27. Hades
28. Super Mario Bros.
29. Rome: Total War 1
30. Alex Kidd In Miracle World

Alrighty, that's me out for the night, I just wanted to get the thread set up.

The first batch of results will be released in the morning.​

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Only got two votes, barely making double digits (thank you @paulscholes18 )

But let's be honest, he never belonged on this list and got in through the backdoor.

Hurts to see him rock bottom though :(

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Must be in reverse order - that's number 1 surely??

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No. 29 - ROME: TOTAL WAR 1
Total Points: 31
Number Of Lists: 5
Highest Position: 3
Voter Of Highest Position: @V.O.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No. 28 - SUPER MARIO BROS.
Total Points: 32
Number Of Lists: 7
Highest Position: 1
Voter Of Highest Position: @Moby

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Super Mario Bros. was the lowest ranked game that was number 1 on somebody's list.

Moby

Dick
No. 28 - SUPER MARIO BROS.
Total Points: 32
Number Of Lists: 7
Highest Position: 1
Voter Of Highest Position: @Moby

Wow you all suck. :lol:

Anyway, in my 25+ years of gaming on various platforms, all I can say is if someone ever asked me to close my eyes, said the word 'video game' and asked me what is the one picture that would come to my mind, it would be this:

The same goes from the theme, and that is what defines my life of playing games more than any other single frame or music. Coming to the game itself, it is pretty much one of the most iconic titles of the great sidescrolling platforming era which is pretty much one of the greatest if not the greatest eras of video games. This, SM3 and plenty of other SM games together for me make the most iconic franchise in the history of video games and for me there doesn't exist a list of greatest games without Mario at the very top or thereabouts.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Anyway, in my 25+ years of gaming on various platforms, all I can say is if someone ever asked me to close my eyes, said the word 'video game' and asked me what is the one picture that would come to my mind, it would be this:

The same goes from the theme, and that is what defines my life of playing games more than any other single frame or music. Coming to the game itself, it is pretty much one of the most iconic titles of the great sidescrolling platforming era which is pretty much one of the greatest if not the greatest eras of video games. This, SM3 and plenty of other SM games together for me make the most iconic franchise in the history of video games and for me there doesn't exist a list of greatest games without Mario at the very top or thereabouts.
That's a very compelling case and I agree, it should be higher on these lists. A great game, hugely influential and Mario is the poster boy of gaming as a whole in my opinion. I doubt there's a single gamer out there that hasn't played at least some Mario in their time as a gamer.

I was always envious of my friends that had Mario on NES whilst I was stuck with Master System. Master System was pretty good overall but Mario was the talk of the playground.

Bosws87

The fact that the cloud sprites are the same as the bushes (apart from colour) always blew my mind i never noticed it till it was pointed out, all to save memory around the hardware that was available!

As i said before the thread should be named favourite games, as greatest game should take into account hardware at the time, how visionary the game was at the time and how it effected the industry going forward. Half life for example spawned Counter Strike (possibly the most iconic multiplayer game of all time) Team fortress 2, Gary's mod and so on but ill be surprised if it makes this list.

b82REZ

The fact that the cloud sprites are the same as the bushes (apart from colour) always blew my mind i never noticed it till it was pointed out, all to save memory around the hardware that was available!

As i said before the thread should be named favourite games, as greatest game should take into account hardware at the time, how visionary the game was at the time and how it effected the industry going forward. Half life for example spawned Counter Strike (possibly the most iconic multiplayer game of all time) Team fortress 2, Gary's mod and so on but ill be surprised if it makes this list.
I'd say CS was possibly the most influential but the title for most iconic surely goes to COD or Fortnite now.

CS was always a niche game simply because it was only on PC. COD bridged that gap in a period of gaming when online play became more prevalent than ever. Since then games like Fortnite have taken it into a completely different stratosphere.

Each are as important to the genre in their own ways.

Moby

Dick
Mario is the poster boy of gaming as a whole in my opinion.
Exactly this. I completely understand people who started later, and directly got into the playstation era but Mario defines the NES/SNES era for me, which is huge, massively influential and anyone who started in 80s or 90s would have spend an absolute lifetime playing the endless versions of those games, with SM and SM3 being two of the most popular.

b82REZ

Exactly this. I completely understand people who started later, and directly got into the playstation era but Mario defines the NES/SNES era for me, which is huge, massively influential and anyone who started in 80s or 90s would have spend an absolute lifetime playing the endless versions of those games, with SM and SM3 being two of the most popular.
There's a reason why in the 90s consoles were always referred to as Nintendo (similarly to how many non gamers call them PlayStation nowadays).

Mario transcends the genre. My 85 year old grandma knows who Mario is.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Even later gamers will come across things like Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart etc. That fat plumber is everywhere. Kinda like Jermaine Jenas... but Jenas is a charisma-less prick :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's a very compelling case and I agree, it should be higher on these lists. A great game, hugely influential and Mario is the poster boy of gaming as a whole in my opinion. I doubt there's a single gamer out there that hasn't played at least some Mario in their time as a gamer.

I was always envious of my friends that had Mario on NES whilst I was stuck with Master System. Master System was pretty good overall but Mario was the talk of the playground.
Absolutely. But poster boy need not be the best.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Nobody has anything to say about Rome: Total War 1? I'd never even heard of this game before starting this contest!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nobody has anything to say about Rome: Total War 1? I'd never even heard of this game before starting this contest!
It was quite a big deal back and got a lot of critical acclaim back in the day. But it's a niche genre so not everyone's cup of tea (definitely not mine).

I didn't think it would make it to the top 30 though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It was quite a big deal back and got a lot of critical acclaim back in the day. But it's a niche genre so not everyone's cup of tea (definitely not mine).

I didn't think it would make it to the top 30 though.
Yeah I was surprised it beat Doom to the top 30. I loved Doom to bits!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Hades tied with Super Mario Bros. but finished a place higher because it was on more lists overall.

Also, weird that it beat Hollow Knight in the round it got to the final but in the final, it finished below HK.

altodevil

Hades isn't my favourite game of all-time, just of the insane shortlist that was made by this forum

altodevil

Ahh yeah. Still surprised that didn't make it after two rounds where it had a chance...

I personally haven't played it but know that it's a beloved game.
Breath of the Wild, Shining Force 2, and Halo 3 are all up there too.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Breath of the Wild, Shining Force 2, and Halo 3 are all up there too.
Haven't played those first two either. Although I'm not a fan of Halo at all. Didn't enjoy that one bit (the first 2 games). Haven't played Halo 3 but I just dont think it's my cup of tea.