Gang violence in Sweden

frostbite

Swedish PM summons army, police chiefs as gang violence rocks nation

By Johan Ahlander
September 28, 2023

STOCKHOLM, Sept 28 (Reuters) - Sweden's prime minister summoned the head of the armed forces and the police commissioner in a bid to stem gang violence, he said on Thursday, following a wave of violence that has taken at least 11 lives in September alone.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...ls-military-tackle-deadly-gang-war-2023-09-28

"It is an irresponsible immigration policy and a failed integration that has brought us here," Kristersson said.

Sweden had liberal immigration policies for many decades and took in more immigrants per capita than any other European nation during the 2015 migration crisis. Those policies were reversed by the former Social Democrat-led government, but have been tightened by Kristersson's government. About 20% of Sweden's 10.5 million inhabitants were born abroad.

RoyH1

Deploying the military to fight crime is rarely the right method. I hope the military's role is limited to intelligence gathering, logistical support, training and the like. Using combat units would be quite the escalation.

Laurencio

The military can't stop random 14 year olds from becoming hitmen and engaging in contract killing.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The military can't stop random 14 year olds from becoming hitmen and engaging in contract killing.
I think enough military presence can send a message. As he says swedish criminals will be locked up and those without citizenship will be deported. But yeah perhaps the military cannot adequately adress this.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Swedish PM summons army, police chiefs as gang violence rocks nation

By Johan Ahlander
September 28, 2023

STOCKHOLM, Sept 28 (Reuters) - Sweden's prime minister summoned the head of the armed forces and the police commissioner in a bid to stem gang violence, he said on Thursday, following a wave of violence that has taken at least 11 lives in September alone.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...ls-military-tackle-deadly-gang-war-2023-09-28

"It is an irresponsible immigration policy and a failed integration that has brought us here," Kristersson said.

Sweden had liberal immigration policies for many decades and took in more immigrants per capita than any other European nation during the 2015 migration crisis. Those policies were reversed by the former Social Democrat-led government, but have been tightened by Kristersson's government. About 20% of Sweden's 10.5 million inhabitants were born abroad.
:eek:
For a traditionally non-immigrant country that seems like a staggeringly high number. At quick glance it seems only countries like Australia and New Zealand have a higher number or a Switzerland in Europe (but they are a special case). I'm leaving out the micro nations of course but that again is a diff story to me.

Gehrman

For a traditionally non-immigrant country that seems like a staggeringly high number. At quick glance it seems only countries like Australia and New Zealand have a higher number or a Switzerland in Europe (but they are a special case). I'm leaving out the micro nations of course but that again is a diff story to me.
Im surprised if Switzerland has a higher rate. I had the impression they were notoriously anti immigrant but perhaps that's towards what they consider the "wrong kind" of immigrants.

Anywhere here is a video showing the influx of immigrants, migrants and refugees over the last decades. Im not going to defend the agenda of the poster.

Redplane

Im surprised if Switzerland has a higher rate. I had the impression they were notoriously anti immigrant but perhaps that's towards what they consider the "wrong kind" of immigrants.
Yeah I'm showing Switzerland sitting at nearly 30%. But yeah their immigration policy is indeed very strict. Of course they have a very large percentage of large multi national organizations operating there that attract a lot of foreign born people, from sporting federations to banks and political foundations. So their percentage doesn't seem all that surprising.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
20% is not that crazy to me. Aren't there plenty of countries in the 15% plus range? A lot of these immigrants are EU-workers (typically blue collar) and international spouses (Swede national marrying someone from abroad). Skilled workers (engineers, programmers, professors etc) are also included of course.

Sweden's mistake has been integration. Denmark, Norway and Finland don't seem to have the same problems.

Redplane

20% is not that crazy to me. Aren't there plenty of countries in the 15% plus range? A lot of these immigrants are EU-workers (typically blue collar) and international spouses (Swede national marrying someone from abroad). Skilled workers (engineers, programmers, professors etc) are also included of course.

Sweden's mistake has been integration. Denmark, Norway and Finland don't seem to have the same problems.
For reference to your question and the countries you singled out:
Denmark: 10%
Finland: 7%
Norway: 15+%

I got the impression Norway has struggled as well based on some articles I've read, no?

Gehrman

Swedens mistake is probably taking in more immigrants, migrants and refugees than they can successfully integrate.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I got the impression Norway has struggled as well based on some articles I've read, no?
Not really. There has been an uptick in youth crime this year and most of the suspects are immigrants or children of immigrants, but there is a strong correlation between household income and crime (as well as social mobility). Immigrants and children of immigrants make up a large portion of the households with low income which means that they will almost always make up a disproportionally high number of criminals.

From time to time there will be an uptick in youth crime followed by a drop (the same happened in 2018). It is not very helpful to look at sub-categories. It makes more sense to look at the total output. And if we look at total number of crimes then it has actually gone down significantly in the last 20 years if we adjust for population size. Violence and murder has remained more or less stagnant with the odd peak year, causing everyone to freak out and scream "we have become just like Sweden" every time.

In countries like Norway there are only about 2 murders per month with roughly half of them being spouse murders. Most of the remaining are gang related. It doesn't take that many extra murders before the headlines will be: "MURDERS HAVE GONE UP 50%!"

Gehrman

Yeah I'm showing Switzerland sitting at nearly 30%. But yeah their immigration policy is indeed very strict. Of course they have a very large percentage of large multi national organizations operating there that attract a lot of foreign born people, from sporting federations to banks and political foundations. So their percentage doesn't seem all that surprising.
One of my school teachers once told me a story that they went on a school trip to Switzerland but was turned around because one of the kids was of arab ethnicity. Perhaps the teacher was blatantly making things up but its left me with the impression of Switzerland as having incredibly racist border guards.

Gehrman

For reference to your question and the countries you singled out:
Denmark: 10%
Finland: 7%
Norway: 15+%

Its highly polemic well depending on who you are talking to, but Denmark's statistics on crime and unemployment by ethnicity is widely available unlike Sweden who has prohibited it. Dont know about Norway or Finland.

Pintu

Anywhere here is a video showing the influx of immigrants, migrants and refugees over the last decades. Im not going to defend the agenda of the poster.

I don’t know how relevant this is. The main characters of our problems are the leaders of 2 rival gangs... People call them (”Kurdiska Räven” and ”Greken”
A 24 year old Greek and a 36 year old Kurd.

By the way, and this is getting largely ignored by our mainstream media, one of the killers of last week seems to be a Nazi (former member of neonazi group NMR). A guy with many antecedents, and who was arrested in 2021 when the police found a bomb at his home and he was arrested for preparing to cause public destruction but the case was later dropped…

Pintu

Here are the 2 gangsters/drug lords, I mentioned above: