Gangland shooting in Dublin

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
For context gangland murders are way down in Dublin since Covid, the Guards have done a good job locking up a lot of the serious gunmen and it seems the youngfellas who have replaced them struggle to shoot straight. This is just the second (and potentially third if the shooting victim dies) gangland murder in the city in 2023, and the seventh (eighth) since March 2020 (not including one victim shot in January 2020 who subsequently died a year later from his injuries). This in a city that would regularly have ten to twenty or more such cases a year since the late 90s.

Seems in this case the shooters went in targeting a very notorious family from Blanch but one of them was taken down by a crowd and stabbed to death. The father of said family is apparently hospitalized in critical condition with gunshot wounds.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
For context gangland murders are way down in Dublin since Covid, the Guards have done a good job locking up a lot of the serious gunmen and it seems the youngfellas who have replaced them struggle to shoot straight. This is just the second (and potentially third if the shooting victim dies) gangland murder in the city in 2023, and the seventh (eighth) since March 2020 (not including one victim shot in January 2020 who subsequently died a year later from his injuries). This in a city that would regularly have ten to twenty or more such cases a year since the late 90s.

Seems in this case the shooters went in targeting a very notorious family from Blanch but one of them was taken down by a crowd and stabbed to death. The father of said family is apparently hospitalized in critical condition with gunshot wounds.
Yeah, news like this invariably causes a lot of pearl clutching but I’m definitely happier living in a city where a member of a drugs gang getting whacked makes front page news, as opposed to a couple of paragraphs buried in the middle of the newspaper.

2cents

Scout
Shooter named as Tristan Sherry. Well known the targets were the Hennessys, Jason Senior and Junior. Junior was featured on a documentary called Inside the K a few years ago (skip to 23:06):

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Only watched a little but the ban garda was great. Love the Irish Gards (police) especially compared to the gun toting cnuts they have over here.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Plenty of them do nowadays, but not having guns makes them work harder at de-escalating situations. Maybe.
Im pretty sure the average gardaí dont have guns, yet. I think i read they are getting them soon though. Members of the ERU have them alright.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Guy who stabbed the wouldbe hitman charged with murder.

Man (22) charged with murder after fatal stabbing of Tristan Sherry in Christmas Eve Blanchardstown shooting

Apparently, the deceased tried to run, but was caught, dragged back into the place, stabbed 30 times, shot in the head and then mutilated and urinated on.

And it's all on camera.
Jaysus. Where did you get those details from?

Also. They’re charging the guy who stabbed him with murder? What about the guy who shot him in the head?!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Guy who stabbed the wouldbe hitman charged with murder.

Man (22) charged with murder after fatal stabbing of Tristan Sherry in Christmas Eve Blanchardstown shooting

Apparently, the deceased tried to run, but was caught, dragged back into the place, stabbed 30 times, shot in the head and then mutilated and urinated on.

And it's all on camera.
He tried to escape via the back doors but found them locked.

also the arrested guy is a "neighbour" of the intended targets.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Jaysus. Where did you get those details from?

Also. They’re charging the guy who stabbed him with murder? What about the guy who shot him in the head?!
There's videos circulating apparently, I've seen one short one which was pretty brutal.

I'm assuming the guy that stabbed him was also the one who shot him probably, Gardai haven't found the gun.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
There's videos circulating apparently, I've seen one short one which was pretty brutal.

I'm assuming the guy that stabbed him was also the one who shot him probably, Gardai haven't found the gun.
Eesh. What was going on in the video you saw? I’m become weirdly obsessed with the details of what happened. What’s wrong with me?!?

Eyepopper

Eesh. What was going on in the video you saw? I’m become weirdly obsessed with the details of what happened. What’s wrong with me?!?
Same as me probably, too much spare time on my hands over the holidays.

Vid I saw was the aftermath, just a couple of seconds of the guy on the ground in an awful fecking state, appeared to still be alive at that point. I haven't looked for any of the others.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Im pretty sure the average gardaí dont have guns, yet. I think i read they are getting them soon though. Members of the ERU have them alright.
There are well trained Armed Response Units, who drive well too ie Audi Q7s & BMW 5 series. Those guys are well armed as are the ERU units, the District Detective Units and Drug & Organised Crime lads.
Uniform lads on foot and mobile patrol are not armed.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
There are well trained Armed Response Units, who drive well too ie Audi Q7s & BMW 5 series. Those guys are well armed as are the ERU units, the District Detective Units and Drug & Organised Crime lads.
I think i read that the uniform lads are getting guns or at least want to get them. Is that correct?

Withnail

Pretty thick to go into a steakhouse where everyone likely has steak knives right next to them.
It didn't appear that much planning went into it at all. There was only one way in and out so he was bollixed. He wasn't the brightest spark apparently.

Scumbags on scumbags, no idea why anything thinks this means the regular Garda should be armed. That would be a very bad idea.

Withnail

I think i read that the uniform lads are getting guns or at least want to get them. Is that correct?
They shouldn't and won't. It would be a disaster and isn't necessary here at all. If guns are needed we have highly trained units for that. The logic from the Gardaí is that if the Gardaí were all armed then regular criminals who don't carry guns would then start carrying them and the situation would escalate.

As others have pointed out this kind of thing is happening a lot less than in the past, and ordinary people and regular Gardaí aren't really at risk of being shot.

They might get Tasers though.

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-says-no-to-fully-arming-gardai-6128503-Jul2023/

arnie_ni

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
There was a pretty famous photo in the newspaper back in the 80s of a plainclothes detective Garda (in a suit) with his gun drawn. Evidently he got into a bit of a tight spot in a political demonstration in Dublin so he felt the need to show his hand gun. Twas only after that photo did they admit that it was normal for some Gards to carry guns.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
There was a pretty famous photo in the newspaper back in the 80s of a plainclothes detective Garda (in a suit) with his gun drawn. Evidently he got into a bit of a tight spot in a political demonstration in Dublin so he felt the need to show his hand gun. Twas only after that photo did they admit that it was normal for some Gards to carry guns.
Nonsense.Since the foundation of the state Detectives have been armed.

2cents

Scout
The guy who was shot Jason Hennessy Snr has died of his injuries. Apparently his namesake son who was the main target that night has been arrested for the murder of the shooter along with two others.

Eyepopper

The guy who was shot Jason Hennessy Snr has died of his injuries. Apparently his namesake son who was the main target that night has been arrested for the murder of the shooter along with two others.
Given the circumstances that's about the best set of outcomes we could have hoped for.

2cents

Scout
Given the circumstances that's about the best set of outcomes we could have hoped for.
Unfortunately it seems the son is not one of those charged, for the time being at least. The names of all three charged have now been published.