Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

Pickle85

Quote?
[/QUOTE]
I guess we can ask them directly. @SadlerMUFC do you think that Bale is a better player overall than Zidane, Figo or Ronaldo?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Which was understood throughout the negotiations and Madrid were happy to get his wages off the books and Zidane was ready to drive him to the airport. The club pulled the plug at the last second and now whine about being stuck paying his salary but it is all their own fault. The fact remains that he was willing to go so to blame him for still being there is completely false.

Of course there were no major bidders last year. Zidane left him to rot on the bench all season during 19/20 after the transfer was cancelled and then COVID hit so nobody was looking to spend big money in that window. Madrid got a chunk of his salary paid and a pretty decent loan fee from Spurs and he made the move. If he did not want to play as some are suggesting he would have said no thanks and stayed on the golf course.

I don't consider Gareth blameless in all of this but Madrid did an awful lot to create the current situation and yet the persistent narrative has been to try and shift all of the blame onto the player. He wanted out after the CL final over Liverpool but Perez would not let him go once Ronaldo and Zidane announced they were off, he wanted out again the following year and the club cancelled the deal and the year after that he spent the season out on loan. I don't get where this is Gareth refusing to play or being disrespectful to the club, it is just a horribly mismanaged situation where the club kept the player longer than they should have and his value has declined to nothing. I know all about that because United have been doing that for years with multiple players.
in June 2019 Barnett said "There is a better chance of me winning at Ascot than of Gareth going out on loan."
In January 2020 said "Bale is not going to go anywhere in winter and in summer it is very unlikely that he will go out"
Madrid should have protected him more but seeing those statements it seems more like a stubborn fight against the coach.
For the club it was a situation from which it couldn't come out well. "Madrid do not respect the coach who is a legend" or "Madrid do not deserve Bale, how ungrateful".

His problems with the fans begin with his disastrous 18/19 season, not with Zidane. They did not accept the chinese offer because the club wanted to take him for free. There were no more offers because he did not want to go or because they had not bothered to look for them.
Another debate is whether it is logical for the players to take the clubs to that point, and as has been said, he has a contract and it is his right, but a certain desire to play and win is supposed.
Our fault for his renewal and the non-sale to China, even for free, due to accounting issues or greed.
I am in favor of three-year contracts. If they really want to play for Madrid they will renew and if not, out.
He did not refuse to play. The rumor (only rumour) among journalists is his low resistance to pain, erasing himself from certain games and then being in tune with Wales.
Zidane used him actively, in several press conferences he hinted that the BBC would play whenever they were available so something had to happen to change that opinion

Gandalf

@carvajal I actually think we see things in a fairly similar light although of course being Welsh I am more predisposed to support Bale but I think undoubtedly there is blame to be shared around for how this situation has ended up and in hindsight it is a shame that he did not move on after the CL final against Liverpool as that was the ideal moment and the relationship had clearly run its course.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal I actually think we see things in a fairly similar light although of course being Welsh I am more predisposed to support Bale but I think undoubtedly there is blame to be shared around for how this situation has ended up and in hindsight it is a shame that he did not move on after the CL final against Liverpool as that was the ideal moment and the relationship had clearly run its course.
Yes, his legacy has been a bit tarnished from spending too much time. I think that if he had learned Spanish, given interviews pointing to the press and in general, being closer to the fan, we would understand him better.
Now at least I hope he can play a couple of decent games and say goodbye to the Bernabéu with a standing ovation.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Definitely a better player than Figo, better than Ronaldo over the long term but Ronaldo had a better peak, Zidane had a better overall career but Bale was a better player for Madrid...
Jesus

How is Bale better than Figo...

At the current age of Bale , Figo was still competing at Inter for trophies, Bale is now basically an ex-player at club level, more busy playing golf than football.

I rate Bale very high, but he isn't better than Figo judging overall career.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Jesus

At the current age of Bale , Figo was still competing at Inter for trophies, Bale is now basically an ex-player at club level, more busy playing golf than football.

Figo was very good and his career was very rich and long, but I think that if you watch a good video of both of them, with their best plays there wouldn't be that much difference
Bale's left foot is a marvel and no worse than Figo in terms of crosses or free kicks.
One wins because it is more spectacular and eye-catching due to his position and the other because I think it understood the associative game better but it certainly doesn't seem like such an obvious choice

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Jesus

Do you really think Bale would have turned his back on Madrid had the fans not turned their back on him first? I don't blame him for doing what he's doing. He gave his everything for the club and was never truly appreciated. So he said "f*ck it. If you guys are going to treat me like that then I'm going to sit back and collect a pay check". Their supporters are even worse than ours. Ok, maybe not that bad...

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you really think Bale would have turned his back on Madrid had the fans not turned their back on him first? I don't blame him for doing what he's doing. He gave his everything for the club and was never truly appreciated. So he said "f*ck it. If you guys are going to treat me like that then I'm going to sit back and collect a pay check". Their supporters are even worse than ours. Ok, maybe not that bad...
Feeling appreciated or not is irrelevant (And before the golf flag it is not that he was booed weekly, far from it)
If they pay him 18 million net, it is to show consistency, leadership and squeeze all the talent he has.
The "give everything for the club" is a bit abstract. Imagine that now Maguire after reading the forum decides to disconnect from the team, refuse a sale and his agent starts talking in the press about how mistreated he is.
Well, it's his right to make you pay for it. Every player in a sales list/feeling sad can act in the same way?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Feeling appreciated or not is irrelevant (And before the golf flag it is not that he was booed weekly, far from it)
If they pay him 18 million net, it is to show consistency, leadership and squeeze all the talent he has.
The "give everything for the club" is a bit abstract. Imagine that now Maguire after reading the forum decides to disconnect from the team, refuse a sale and his agent starts talking in the press about how mistreated he is.
Well, it's his right to make you pay for it. Every player in a sales list/feeling sad can act in the same way?
I wouldn't blame Maguire if he did. The abuse he receives from rivals is one thing (Engalnd game today) but from his own supporters is absolutely disgusting

MrEleson

The thing is, Bale wasn’t specially abused by Real fans; they abused all of their great players as they’re probably the most demanding fan base in the world. Even the likes of Ronaldo who did 10 times more for them than Bale could ever dream of doing was regularly booed. Why didn’t Ronaldo basically say “f’ck you” to them too when he probably had more reason to after all he did? Instead, he did the opposite and was even more pivotal for the club and brought more success.

The likes of Zidane, Benzema, etc were also booed but never displayed the attitude Bale did.

At this point, it’s just excuse making for his lack of professionalism if you think he was completely right with how he conducted himself.

Pickle85

I guess we can ask them directly. @SadlerMUFC do you think that Bale is a better player overall than Zidane, Figo or Ronaldo?
Definitely a better player than Figo, better than Ronaldo over the long term but Ronaldo had a better peak, Zidane had a better overall career but Bale was a better player for Madrid...
[/QUOTE]
So do you think that Bale or Zidane was a better player overall?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
[/QUOTE]

I think Zidane was a better player overall and had a better career but Bale did more for Madrid than he did

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The thing is, Bale wasn’t specially abused by Real fans; they abused all of their great players as they’re probably the most demanding fan base in the world. Even the likes of Ronaldo who did 10 times more for them than Bale could ever dream of doing was regularly booed. Why didn’t Ronaldo basically say “f’ck you” to them too when he probably had more reason to after all he did? Instead, he did the opposite and was even more pivotal for the club and brought more success.

The likes of Zidane, Benzema, etc were also booed but never displayed the attitude Bale did.

At this point, it’s just excuse making for his lack of professionalism if you think he was completely right with how he conducted himself.
So because others acted different he's supposed to too?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
yeah but he’s refused to leave since then has he not? The whole Wales golf Madrid thing didn’t help him either. It’s lovely to see him stick it to them though :drool:
He has chosen to emulate his hero. Winston Bogarde.

Pickle85

I think Zidane was a better player overall and had a better career but Bale did more for Madrid than he did
[/QUOTE]
Fair enough...Bale had a lot of big moments for them, no argument here.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just think Benzema has been at a higher level for longer even before his Madrid days with Lyon and he has delivered for Madrid after Ronaldo leaving too. He must be one of Madrids all time greats.
Revisionist history as its finest.

Bale was comfortably regarded as the clear-cut better player over Benzema during most of 2010s. Benzema never reached the heights Bale did in. There's a reason why Benzema was forced to become a 3rd fiddle behind Cristiano and Bale.

Real Madrid allowed Cristiano to leave the club because they expected Bale would actually step up as the main man. It's why they didn't allow Bale go to Chinese League. Meanwhile, Benzema was coming of the worst season in his entire career.

Absolutely nobody could've predicted Benzema would drastically improve as a player over the past 4 seasons.

Xanther

Absolutely nobody could've predicted Benzema would drastically improve as a player over the past 4 seasons.
I think we're all mostly surprised about his longevity. We can't be that shocked about his level though, right? He was already good in the supporting role, he's just been given the focus in the attack now (I assume as such, I don't watch Madrid). If his last season was as average as you say it was, maybe you're right though.

Also, Bale was the next big-money-pacey-marketable-clutch-wide-forward Perez buy, if it's true he had precedence over Benz, not that surprising. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there was a time where Benz was sharing the position with Higuain and then Morata? I don't remember Bale having had someone on his level also take his minutes in his positions

Last edited:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Revisionist history as its finest.

Bale was comfortably regarded as the clear-cut better player over Benzema during most of 2010s. Benzema never reached the heights Bale did in. There's a reason why Benzema was forced to become a 3rd fiddle behind Cristiano and Bale.

Real Madrid allowed Cristiano to leave the club because they expected Bale would actually step up as the main man. It's why they didn't allow Bale go to Chinese League. Meanwhile, Benzema was coming of the worst season in his entire career.

Bale is no competition for the 4th top scorer in the history of the UCL and 3rd top scorer in the history of Real Madrid, which most these goals were scored playing as second fiddle to Ronaldo, no as main striker.

Benzema can play as second fiddle because he has the ability to, he can pass, he can create, he can dribble and he can assist, since his Lyon days he was considered more talented than Bale.

Sorry for Bale, but he never stepped up when Ronaldo left, he is playing golf now while Benzema keep scoring in La Liga and UCL, and will be playing in China or MLS soon.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd put him up there with Figo, right below Zidane. For us, he was better than Ronnie

If we go by modern era, divided by tiers, i have early Ronnie, Messi and Cristiano at the top, dinho, zidane, henry, xavi, rivaldo and suarez in the tier below them, then figo, bale, robben, etc in the tier below...

Flexdegea

Maddest thread I've seen yet :lol:

The fact he getting compared with Zidane is bonkers in my eyes.

Figo a fair comparison as well, but didn't he win a Ballon before?

And I'm a big big fan of bale, cracking player but he getting elevated to massive heights here

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Every player in the history of football should be compared to Rooney for a better understanding of his capabilities.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Even if you believe he's better, which is understandable, it's definitely not "clearly".
When someone made the point that he thought most people would pick Bale over Rooney, you replied with

I don't think anyone would, in all seriousness. Bale had the potential to be a superstar but never quite did. Injuries, dedication, probably a certain level of disinterest for the game, all that played a part in him not quite reaching those heights consistently. He is definitely a big game player which is a great quality, but he's not above Rooney in anyone's mind (apart from deluded Spurs fans, who would also argue Kane is the best thing since sliced bread). As soon as something remotely touches their mediocre club, they tend to overhype to crazy extremes.
You’ve literally just stated that nobody would pick Bale, and went on a rant about Spurs (the rant was kinda funny tbf). So I’m not sure how you can have a problem with Giorno’s phrasing “clearly”, outside of the problem being he didn’t pick Rooney.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
When someone made the point that he thought most people would pick Bale over Rooney, you replied with

You’ve literally just stated that nobody would pick Bale, and went on a rant about Spurs (the rant was kinda funny tbf). So I’m not sure how you can have a problem with Giorno’s phrasing “clearly”, outside of the problem being he didn’t pick Rooney.
Yeah to be honest I'm really surprised anyone would pick Bale (when I first posted that, a week ago, I just couldn't believe it would be a possibility than anyone other than Spurs or Welsh fans would choose him), but reading this over the past 7 days, I've been educated in that it's not as clear cut as I would have thought. I genuinely believe it's not much of a contest on the basis of their overall careers, and my post did start with "I don't think anyone would", I was wrong :) I don't know how split it would be if there were to be a poll where no Utd, Spurs, Wales or Real fans would vote, but maybe I would be surprised!

I however don't get the "rant" part, as I explained to the Tottenham fan who also highlighted it. For me it's just a straightforward, objective comment, but whatever.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't know about Zidane but we can at least agree that he is better than Giggs for not being in a jail alone.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah to be honest I'm really surprised anyone would pick Bale (when I first posted that, a week ago, I just couldn't believe it would be a possibility than anyone other than Spurs or Welsh fans would choose him), but reading this over the past 7 days, I've been educated in that it's not as clear cut as I would have thought. I genuinely believe it's not much of a contest on the basis of their overall careers, and my post did start with "I don't think anyone would", I was wrong :) I don't know how split it would be if there were to be a poll where no Utd, Spurs, Wales or Real fans would vote, but maybe I would be surprised!

I however don't get the "rant" part, as I explained to the Tottenham fan who also highlighted it. For me it's just a straightforward, objective comment, but whatever.
That's fair, and I think your original assertion would be right if a poll was done in the way you've outlined, I'm pretty confident on that.

Also fair enough regarding the Tottenham part :lol:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Only someone who was born after 2000 can think Bale is a better player than Zidane.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
No one in this thread is saying Bale is a better player then Zidane.
Exactly , there's just been a hysterical overreaction to a guy saying that he thought that Bale was better for MADRID than the Galacticos.