Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

el3mel

Absolutely battered us off the pitch and still Bale to come. Yep.

They miss the elements about us being down to 10men for an hour.
And having clearly got the pre season wrong - having been lashed by shocking Palace at home just before.

Hope we get a chance to show them what's what in the league cup final.
They were leading the game already before Martial got sent off. The sent off sure made it end in a humiliating defeat, but we weren't that good before it anyway.

But to defeat a big team with 6 goals you'll actually lose need a ridiculous day off for the opposition, a red card and ridiculous luck in getting all your chances in the back of the net.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They were leading the game already before Martial got sent off. The sent off sure made it end like a humiliating defeat, but we weren't that good before it anyway.
Remember this is after us having no pre-season - and looking like drunken sailors. We were already off the pace as seen by the Palace turn over.
And we were losing but having a player sent off on about 25mins in that lack of shape was always going to lead to a freakish bad result.

el3mel

Remember this is after us having no pre-season - and looking like drunken sailors. We were already off the pace as seen by the Palace turn over.
And we were losing but having a player sent off on about 25mins in that lack of shape was always going to lead to a freakish bad result.
I added this to my post later on :

But to defeat a big team with 6 goals you'll actually need a ridiculous day off for the opposition, a red card and ridiculous luck in getting all your chances in the back of the net.
So yeah this is true. These results are always a freak and need a combination of many things to work out, similar to also our 8-2 vs Arsenal or our loss 6-1 to City.

But I think without the sent off this would have probably ended 1-3 or 2-2. I don't think we were in good shape to win it. Our defense was also atrocious since that first goal. It was a bad day in the office, unfortunately.

As for the lack of pre season I'm pretty sure no team got a pre season as well ? Spurs looked garbage against Everton in the first game, but they might have gained fitness faster since they played more games.

Last edited:
All the talks of people blaming Zidane and RM for not respecting Bale. Truth was that he was garbage for more or less past 2 years. People in Britain did not really watch RM other than CL finals. Had a skewed view of how Bale really was past 2 years.
It’s the usual bias towards a British media darling. He’s not playing well it can’t possibly be because he’s no longer good enough for them has to be because the manager has an agenda. He refuses to travel for a major match, any other player would get crucified but when it’s a media darling then “well he’s manager doesn’t play him what’s he supposed to do”. He does provocative things directly toward his club, not even through an agent, media don’t say a word.

Goes back ages, even during his first spell at Spurs when he went on strike to force through his move RM. I remember the media praised it. Instead of calling it out for the disrespect that it was.

TheReligion

Abusive
All the talks of people blaming Zidane and RM for not respecting Bale. Truth was that he was garbage for more or less past 2 years. People in Britain did not really watch RM other than CL finals. Had a skewed view of how Bale really was past 2 years.
Let's be honest it's not as one sided. Both have played their part. Bale is not innocent, obviously, but to absolve RM and Zidane of any blame is nonsense.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Damn, he will be back here next summer.
We should have played hardball and said "2 year loan or nothing", oh well.

Raredaredevil

I guess we dodged a bullet here. I thought he was still a world class player and he was only out of favour with Zidane like Ozil. I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. Had his chance to get out of Madrid when we wanted him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You a Real Madrid supporter?

Going to be very hard to shift him now, the unknown aspect of how he could still do at another club's been answered now

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's be honest it's not as one sided. Both have played their part. Bale is not innocent, obviously, but to absolve RM and Zidane of any blame is nonsense.
Why Zidane? Wasn't his fault the move to China collapsed

Okey

Doesn't his contract end in the summer? His Madrid days are over now. Free agent to negotiate one last big pay day in some lesser league. MLS here he comes...

Zen

Nope, his contracts to 2022. Gotta be one of the worst contracts in history too, the signs were there he wouldn't make it to the end of it even then.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Nope, his contracts to 2022. Gotta be one of the worst contracts in history too, the signs were there he wouldn't make it to the end of it even then.
That it was.
Oh well, at least we can fall back on the fact he helped us win multiple trophies, and he did have 2-3 actually good seasons for us.

My biggest disappointment, i think, is when he complained about lack of gametime, then when Ronaldo left and we gave him the chance to be the main man, he never showed up.
Benzema took that role instead, and often had to carry the attack because nobody else could produce.

redshaw

Tis a bit cold at the moment for Bale to play. End of Dec and Jan will be a write-off.

Pep's Suit

He's a joke. Still think Real will pay him that remaining year and terminate his contract so he can finally retire. I don't even think he'd be interested in playing MLS for Miami or so. What's the most he could earn there? $3-4M a year so that club can use his for PR?

RedDevil@84

As expected, an injury.
He was not injured in last 1 year or so, because he wasn't playing at Real. His stock went up among his giddy fans in UK as "That star who has been fit"
Once he started playing, he gets injured again.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I havnt seen too much of Spurs, but three goals in 554 mins, a goal every 184 mins, not great, sure, hardly woeful for a wide forward squad player though. Moura has 846 mins for four goals and one assist across all comps, maybe edges Bale but it is pretty close in contribution.

Everyone raves about Traore who has 852 mins for 0 goals and assists.

But injured as per usual, which is why everyone should stay well away from Bale, too many injuries for the crazy wages and price of the player. Question his desire to get back to those levels as well given everything he has won. Will be RM's problem as Spurs will choose not to make the loan permanent. RM stuck paying his astronomical wages until 2022? :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's a joke. Still think Real will pay him that remaining year and terminate his contract so he can finally retire. I don't even think he'd be interested in playing MLS for Miami or so. What's the most he could earn there? $3-4M a year so that club can use his for PR?
Is his PR even worth that? For the last few years he is basically a meme in football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I even called it at the time he signed it! It was that obvious!

What wasn't obvious was COVID, turning it into a serious problem instead of an annoyance...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bale's been ok for Tottenham as a kind of occasional squad level player.

Clearly you don't put serious wad into someone like him to be that though.

At least all the early season giddiness about "wait until Spurs have Bale playing" has died down.

Oldyella

:lol:

Two perfect examples of how much tripe is talked on here, in terms of overrating transfers made by other clubs.
What tripe? You will always have a few who fancy a player but I reckon a good 75-80% of the board were glad he went to spurs and not us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol:

Two perfect examples of how much tripe is talked on here, in terms of overrating transfers made by other clubs.
Thought you were saying us saying Bale hasn't exactly been a success was tripe for a second!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No, I worded it poorly. He’s been a flop.
A lot of fans definitely seem to have an "anyone" signed is better than no-one mentality each window.

We can all remember examples of people suggesting dreadful players who'd supposedly be better than we already have.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bale's been ok for Tottenham as a kind of occasional squad level player.

Clearly you don't put serious wad into someone like him to be that though
Yep. That's pretty much it. Bale's still a good player. Just a good player