Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

DRM

I knew he had fitness issues but what I didn't realise was just now much pace he's lost. I mean FFS he makes Laurent Blanc look like prime Usain bolt

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The fanfare and commotion around bale rejoining Spurs was ridiculous. Now they’ve all seen he’s a shadow of his former self it’s soon gone quiet.

thank god we didn’t take the bait!

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Yep. That's pretty much it. Bale's still a good player. Just a good player

Its two sides to a coin, you read some posts on here it's like he should be playing for Dag and Red as a subs player. Really he has been average for Spurs, nothing more, nothing less, his output for Spurs per minute played has been very close to Moura looking at his stats. But injuries were always going to be the problem, and why he is worth nowhere near the ludicrous money RM is paying him.

I think most teams would still take a punt on him if his wages were say 100k a week. No one is stupid enough to pay 600k a week, well, except Madrid that is.

Spurs will ship him back to RM at the end of his loan period where he will stay until 2022 Im guessing.

Red & White

The issue with his fitness was always going to be a big factor in this deal. I was, like most in here, delighted when we didn’t go in for him. That’s not to say he still can’t give Spurs something in the final stretch.

Would have been a dream signing 7 years ago, mind.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Is the loss of pace a bit like Giggs where he hardly ever revs up because he knows he'll get injured if he does or is it just completely gone?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wonder how much his value has fallen by? Hypothetically, if Real paid up his deal and he was a free agent - who would sign him and how much could he get? Going out on loan to a lesser club and not looking good is quite problematic.

What's Real's hit rate when it comes to Prem transfers? They signed McManmanananan and gave him 60K a week which I think was more than anyone was earning in England, and he was pretty shit. Signed injury-wrecked Owen. Signed injury-wrecked Woodgate. Becks definitely made them more money than they paid. Gravesen...! Can't remember how Ruud did for them.

Modric and Ronaldo have been fantastic for them. Bale has been good, but probably never justified his price tag and definitely not his wages.

edit: injury-wrecked Hazard.

pascell

I wonder how much his value has fallen by? Hypothetically, if Real paid up his deal and he was a free agent - who would sign him and how much could he get? Going out on loan to a lesser club and not looking good is quite problematic.

What's Real's hit rate when it comes to Prem transfers? They signed McManmanananan and gave him 60K a week which I think was more than anyone was earning in England, and he was pretty shit. Signed injury-wrecked Owen. Signed injury-wrecked Woodgate. Becks definitely made them more money than they paid. Gravesen...! Can't remember how Ruud did for them.

Modric and Ronaldo have been fantastic for them. Bale has been good, but probably never justified his price tag and definitely not his wages.

Never forget the signing of Julian Faubert too!

They seem to have had a lot of misses in recent years, like Robben and Sneijder who both found their world class form once they'd left Real.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Never forget the signing of Julian Faubert too!

They seem to have had a lot of misses in recent years, like Robben and Sneijder who both found their world class form once they'd left Real.
Ah yeah, Faubert!

Pretty amazing that they couldn't get a tune out of Robben. Still annoyed Chelsea signed him from under our noses.

They also signed a past-it Essien, who was probably still OK. But not a great signing.

Oldyella

Mcmanaman was a hit wasnt he? Or at least wasnt a flop.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

McManaman was a definite hit. He was great with Redondo in midfield, getting into the team of the year and scoring a great goal in the final as they won the CL in his first season.

Started his second season by being forced out with typical Real politics, but stayed and won back his place in the first team and won La Liga as a starter in a completely different role.

It wasn’t just that he wasn’t shit, he was excellent and overcame a lot of adversity to become a fan favourite. The players loved him too.

He left after four years having won two CL, La Liga and twice been voted the supporters player of the year.

Stevie was an unmitigated success in Madrid, even with politics and their transfer policy working against him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

On an individual level or overall?

McManaman: hit
Owen: miss, but not his fault. He wasn't played enough
Woodgate: hahahah
Becks: hit on an individual level, miss overall. Again not his fault
RVN: hit
Gravesen: panic buy, once tried to murder robinho in training. Hit&Run
Bale: hit overall. Injured too often to be a hit individually

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Courtois is a success after a dodgy start. Arbeloa was solid even if unspectacular.
Alonso a huge success.
Ronaldo did okay.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Mcmanaman was a hit wasnt he? Or at least wasnt a flop.
Yeah, he did really well there and they had a lot of respect for him as he learnt the language and adapted well. He scored a CL final goal for them and is widely considered to be one of the most successful English players to have played abroad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
On an individual level or overall?

McManaman: hit
Owen: miss, but not his fault. He wasn't played enough
Woodgate: hahahah
Becks: hit on an individual level, miss overall. Again not his fault
RVN: hit
Gravesen: panic buy, once tried to murder robinho in training. Hit&Run
Bale: hit overall. Injured too often to be a hit individually
Yeah, I guess I was off by a long way. Thought McManaman had been a flop in relation to his wages. You would know a lot better than I would. What's likely to happen with Bale?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Come on that joke was gold :devil: what's wrong with you people...

Re: Bale. Nothing. He's coming back and we'll be looking to hopefully find him a new team somewhere like China/UAE/USA. And we probably won't so he'll get to collect his 30 million euros to stay at home. Or play golf, if Spain gets the pandemic under control and return to some measure of normalcy

his value before the season started was zero.

In terms of wages - no top club would touch him now.

does he have another year at Real after this?

assume he will go back, sit in the bench, then have a swan song in the MLS, where he might look half decent again.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Come on that joke was gold :devil: what's wrong with you people...

Re: Bale. Nothing. He's coming back and we'll be looking to hopefully find him a new team somewhere like China/UAE/USA. And we probably won't so he'll get to collect his 30 million euros to stay at home. Or play golf, if Spain gets the pandemic under control and return to some measure of normalcy
What joke? Whoosh.

Yeah, I guess that's how it will go (also @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg). Bit of a shame, not least given the unwarranted excitement at Spurs early season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's a play on words about what a car crash that transfer was. Although I'm now second-guessing myself and wondering if that's what he actually meant :lol:
You get credit for explaining it whilst second guessing if you got it right, very brave. I'm sorry we slaughtered your joke @giorno

:D

Javi

Pretty amazing that they couldn't get a tune out of Robben.
Robben was great for Madrid. His injuries were considered too much by the management, his prospects in that regard were bad back then.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's a play on words about what a car crash that transfer was. Although I'm now second-guessing myself and wondering if that's what he actually meant :lol:
you got it, plus robinho is a rapist so gravesen gets brownie points for trying to end him

hn4united

Pace has gone. Very little else available.

Reminds me of Auba, his pace really has dropped off too.
I think the pace is still there. He just doesn’t have the confidence in his muscles to give it that burst. He’s too worried about getting injured. So, it looks as though he’s playing at 50% capacity at the moment.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think the pace is still there. He just doesn’t have the confidence in his muscles to give it that burst. He’s too worried about getting injured. So, it looks as though he’s playing at 50% capacity at the moment.
Not to be pedantic, but then your pace has gone if you're scared to use it for fear of breaking down.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Robben was great for Madrid. His injuries were considered too much by the management, his prospects in that regard were bad back then.
I was we didnt sell Robben, imagine Ronaldo and Robben on each flank :drool: :drool:

Apokalips

McManaman was a definite hit. He was great with Redondo in midfield, getting into the team of the year and scoring a great goal in the final as they won the CL in his first season.

Started his second season by being forced out with typical Real politics, but stayed and won back his place in the first team and won La Liga as a starter in a completely different role.

It wasn’t just that he wasn’t shit, he was excellent and overcame a lot of adversity to become a fan favourite. The players loved him too.

He left after four years having won two CL, La Liga and twice been voted the supporters player of the year.

Stevie was an unmitigated success in Madrid, even with politics and their transfer policy working against him.
He was 100% a hit, I can't believe anyone would suggest otherwise. I recall McManaman saying that restaurants in Madrid always try and refuse to let him pay for meals such is their love and respect for him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I had a debate with a guy at work who despite being a United fan was excited to see Bale back in the league. He was sure he would tear up the league again and that United missed out big time.

I think Bale still has some magic left but nowhere near the standard required anymore. I’m sure he will be in the MLS next year

romufc

The amount of criticism Manutd get for paying high wages to players, people seem to forget Spurs are paying 1/2 or more of Bale's wages? thats almost £300k a week to play in the FA Cup?

Pep's Suit

Can't believe some people here were claiming Bale was doing ok for Spurs. Everyone can see he's a MLS-level at best now.

Red00012

Spurs had 15 mins to grab a winner last night and he brings on Lamela and Viniscius says enough about Bale really .

Andre Kagawa

His legs are completely gone. He's painfully average without that scintillating pace he had.

Bobski

His legs are completely gone. He's painfully average without that scintillating pace he had.
He didn't really develop his game in other areas, almost the opposite, focused so much on being a goalscorer, cutting in and shooting, became very one dimensional.

Stark contrast to someone like Giggs(whatever you think of him as a person) who had such range to his game he could keep adapting.