Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We don't even need him. If another English team has serious interest, then we can hijack the deal because they would win the title. But other than that, we don't really need him.
If LVG really doesn't see future for Nani here, he may as well need another winger.

manutddjw

I can't see Madrid selling him this summer because there's not really anyone with a bigger profile they can get to replace him with after Hazard pledged his allegiance to Chelsea. Reus is the only one who fits the bill that is attainable, but I can't see Madrid replacing Bale with someone who has the injury history that he does. Plus I doubt Bale actually wants to leave. He's been there a few seasons and has seen players like Casillas and Ronaldo get jeered, so I doubt it would affect him seeing as its a normal event in Madrid.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Serious question, but does anyone else think that Bale is just a one season wonder type player? If you look at it, he's been average at best in Madrid, with his goals covering up his otherwise "meh" play last season, this season he's been downright shite, and then before his last 6 months at Spurs, he was inconsistent and nothing more then just a good player pretty much. Sky and the rest of the english media overhyped that last 6 months in a Spurs shirt so much I think that his entire reputation is built on what is essentially just a few months of great form that was otherwise unsustainable. He scored so many screamers from range that season that people started thinking he'll do it week in, week out, when in reality, it was always going to be incredibly unlikely for him to keep up that shooting.

When you look at the other parts of his game though, he's pretty average, you have to say. He has his great pace and his shots from range, but other then that, nothing. If he wasn't British, he wouldn't have been hyped nearly as much in the first place and probably would never have gone to a club the size of Madrid.
You could probably say the same about Di Maria to be honest (though I think he has more to his game then Bale). Both players who have always been criticized for their inconsistency apart from basically 6 months of great form.

bosnian_red

If LVG really doesn't see future for Nani here, he may as well need another winger.
Depay, Di Maria, Mata, Young, Januzaj.. Don't think we need one really. Especially if Di Maria gets back in form and Depay settles quickly, and Januzaj gets back on track really, as you would expect him to.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Serious question, but does anyone else think that Bale is just a one season wonder type player? If you look at it, he's been average at best in Madrid, with his goals covering up his otherwise "meh" play last season, this season he's been downright shite, and then before his last 6 months at Spurs, he was inconsistent and nothing more then just a good player pretty much. Sky and the rest of the english media overhyped that last 6 months in a Spurs shirt so much I think that his entire reputation is built on what is essentially just a few months of great form that was otherwise unsustainable. He scored so many screamers from range that season that people started thinking he'll do it week in, week out, when in reality, it was always going to be incredibly unlikely for him to keep up that shooting.

When you look at the other parts of his game though, he's pretty average, you have to say. He has his great pace and his shots from range, but other then that, nothing. If he wasn't British, he wouldn't have been hyped nearly as much in the first place and probably would never have gone to a club the size of Madrid.
You could probably say the same about Di Maria to be honest (though I think he has more to his game then Bale). Both players who have always been criticized for their inconsistency apart from basically 6 months of great form.
He's not technically proficient enough to be consistently world class, he's 'just' a beast athlete who can fang a mean shot though.

RetroStu

My problem with getting Bale (apart from the ridiculous amount of money it would take obviously) is that once his pace goes, he will be almost useless. I mean his pace won't go for another 4 or 5 years barring injury but still, his game is all about his pace.
Would we be willing to pay £80+mil for 4 or 5 potential years?, probably to be honest.

bosnian_red

He's not technically proficient enough to be consistently world class, he's 'just' a beast athlete who can fang a mean shot though.
Yeah, pretty much why I've always seen him as rather limited. If you give him the time and space to kick and run past you basically, he'll destroy you since he's so fast. Also has a great shot if you give him space. Always felt it was really easy to shut him down though, and loads of teams shut him down pretty consistently to the point where he hardly had an impact on games when he was in England.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My problem with getting Bale (apart from the ridiculous amount of money it would take obviously) is that once his pace goes, he will be almost useless. I mean his pace won't go for another 4 or 5 years barring injury but still, his game is all about his pace.
Would we be willing to pay £80+mil for 4 or 5 potential years?, probably to be honest.
And I'm almost sure that he earns more than 300k€ per week.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Depay, Di Maria, Mata, Young, Januzaj.. Don't think we need one really. Especially if Di Maria gets back in form and Depay settles quickly, and Januzaj gets back on track really, as you would expect him to.
So what's with this circus on MUTV then ? Januzaj may be loaned as he's not mature enough to take further step in a career, Young is slowly hitting his 30's and I really don't see him as a solid boost in the Champions League games. I do hope Di Maria will get back to his form because we need his assists and goals from time to time.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't want Bale but getting rid of Falcao would cover that. Plus i'm 90% sure that DiMaria is a goner too unfortunately.
We need a couple of midfielders and at least one member of the back four, and with the doubts around Bale actual level I don't see how we could justify paying him 300k-350k.

Will Singh

So apparently we are going for Bale! It's like we are going to do what we did last season and buy attacking players and not sort out the main problem which is our defenders! We also need to buy a replacement for Carrick!

But first we buy Depay which is brilliant but we need to get a CB and a CDM not to mention a RB!

Woody get out of muppet zone and get us some defenders...

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Did anyone also notice those pre second half images from their inside tunnel ? You could see Madrid players communicating with each other and him standing all alone looking around probably lost in thoughts. Yes Madrid can be a dream move for every player, but you started football from a young age to have the most important element fun. It does not help that he has not mastered the spanish language (yet) and at a club like Madrid the dress room values can make or break you. You only live once, but you only have 1 football career. I just hope he wont be a conditioned scape goat for Madrid because one will and can not survive such pressure and negative publicity from them (assumption).

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Sell Young and Valencia and bring in Bale, our squad will be upgraded with a lot of quality.

Unless people are actually thinking we don't need any quality wide players? Ffs we have no cutting edge at all!

I don't care if it's Bale, Griezman or Ronaldo, we need some quality on the wings.

JPRouve

Scout
Did anyone also notice those pre second half images from their inside tunnel ? You could see Madrid players communicating with each other and him standing all alone looking around probably lost in thoughts. Yes Madrid can be a dream move for every player, but you started football from a young age to have the most important element fun. It does not help that he has not mastered the spanish language (yet) and at a club like Madrid the dress room values can make or break you. You only live once, but you only have 1 football career. I just hope he wont be a conditioned scape goat for Madrid because one will and can not survive such pressure and negative publicity from them (assumption).
It was the same for Varane, Kroos and James who were behind him.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sell Young and Valencia and bring in Bale, our squad will be upgraded with a lot of quality.

Unless people are actually thinking we don't need any quality wide players? Ffs we have no cutting edge at all!

I don't care if it's Bale, Griezman or Ronaldo, we need some quality on the wings.
Agree and Bale is a quality player. Bale and Depay behind Rooney or RVP with Di Maria in a 3 man midfield would be fun to watch! I'd be more than happy with this! We might turn into Keegans Newcastle but feck it it would be fun to watch!

Trizy

We've had to pretty much deal with Valencia as our RW since Ronaldo left and bar one good season he's being pretty shit and the same can be said for Young, even this season some may consider his best season he still is offering little to nothing in terms of assists and goals.

Bale cannot be worse than our options the past 3-4 years.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Nobody asked to him to be a master speaking spanish but after almost 2 years I think that he could have done more. We will see what the next manager thinks about him or Ancelotti if he continues but at present I wouldn´t bet for him in Madrid next year

mattsville

On his performance tonight he missed a lot of chances a confident player would not have, he gave away balls, it was a poor performance, but what was more telling was the body language of his team mates, nobody encouraged him, nobody talks to him on the pitch, in fact Ronaldo visibly threw his head up to the sky after he missed a chance as if to say " this guy again". There is a lot of talk of ancelotti being made to play him as he is perez's big signing and it is not going down well amongst the fanbase or the dressing room. If he was available you would have to be interested, he is an incredible player, Giggs is his idol, proven match winner in the PL, he has incredible drive, pace and power. I get the argument about him not being utilised for his strengths from what we have seen under LVG so far but I think you will see a very different United next season, the key being LVG getting in the defensive midfield option he likes to allow the attacking players freedom, we have seen some good examples with Carrick there in form and how much more expansive we were, having said that we just invested in Depay, a left wing forward so you have to consider if we have made our move in that department and how much of our budget would be used up signing him, interesting though those very strong statements from the journos on MUTV who seem to think it is in motion.

bosnian_red

The only way I can see us getting him is if we sell Di Maria (which does seem possible tbf). If he does come, then I hope he proves me wrong really. Could be that he is super determined to show he still has his quality. I do think he's better then what he's shown at Madrid obviously, but I also think he lost a lot of his previous ability of a winger. He's a lot bulkier these days which really took away from his agility as well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The only way I can see us getting him is if we sell Di Maria (which does seem possible tbf). If he does come, then I hope he proves me wrong really. Could be that he is super determined to show he still has his quality. I do think he's better then what he's shown at Madrid obviously, but I also think he lost a lot of his previous ability of a winger. He's a lot bulkier these days which really took away from his agility as well.
Di Maria could and should stay and chances are he'll link up with Bale quite well like it was season ago in Madrid. If we can give Young a new contract we may easily find some space for clearly unsettled player who was in Champions League winning squad and is a Premier League proven star by the way.

This deal certainly wouldn't damage us. Just saying.

comlag

Get fecked you Welsh cnut if he'd of wanted to come to United he'd have come before. Not interested in a Madrid reject, he's obviously not good enough for them so apro-po no good enough for us.

rotherham_red

Bayern should be the team to go for him. Think he'd fit in their like a hand in glove, especially with Robben picking up his annoying injury curse again...

Just anyone but us, please :(

bosnian_red

Di Maria could and should stay and chances are he'll link up with Bale quite well like it was season ago in Madrid. If we can give Young a new contract we may easily find some space for clearly unsettled player who was in Champions League winning squad and is a Premier League proven star by the way.

This deal certainly wouldn't damage us. Just saying.
Obviously it wouldn't hurt having him in the side (sure as hell would hurt the financial side though). But if we got him, we also just signed Depay, Di Maria and Mata. While of course that's absolutely wank worthy on fifa and FM, in reality we would have to play 2 of them on the bench probably.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
I seriously doubt van Gaal is interested in Bale. As others have pointed out, yes he's a great player because of his speed and shooting, but is that what we need right now and for that price?

Many line-ups here shove Memphis to the right wing where he hasn't played since his youth days since he has a fantastic shot with his right when he cuts inside from the left.
Di Maria probably won't feature much in midfield under van Gaal either, he would be instructed to contiually pass the ball and barely get to make use of his speed and crossing. I'm pretty sure that he will play on the wing next season, as I have still yet to read a trustworthy article which suggests he's leaving. I just don't think he's that unhappy and is just having settling problems.
With Young, Memphis on the left and Di Maria, Mata and Januzaj on the right van Gaal has 5 options for the wing already. He's not van Gaal's ideal type of striker either, that would be a prime RvP. Rooney also isn't getting dropped and we can't bench Bale or Di Maria.

I doubt van Gaal is going to blow most of his transfer budget (let's face it, RM aren't going to sell their record transfer for a loss when he still has a 3 year contract) on a player which we don't really need nor does he fit in van Gaal's style. I can only see it happening if Di Maria leaves, which I don't think is going to happen anyways.

I seriously doubt van Gaal is interested in Bale. As others have pointed out, yes he's a great player because of his speed and shooting, but is that what we need right now and for that price?

Many line-ups here shove Memphis to the right wing where he hasn't played since his youth days since he has a fantastic shot with his right when he cuts inside from the left.
Di Maria probably won't feature much in midfield under van Gaal either, he would be instructed to contiually pass the ball and barely get to make use of his speed and crossing. I'm pretty sure that he will play on the wing next season, as I have still yet to read a trustworthy article which suggests he's leaving. I just don't think he's that unhappy and is just having settling problems.
With Young, Memphis on the left and Di Maria, Mata and Januzaj on the right van Gaal has 5 options for the wing already. He's not van Gaal's ideal type of striker either, that would be a prime RvP. Rooney also isn't getting dropped and we can't bench Bale or Di Maria.

I doubt van Gaal is going to blow most of his transfer budget (let's face it, RM aren't going to sell their record transfer for a loss when he still has a 3 year contract) on a player which we don't really need nor does he fit in van Gaal's style. I can only see it happening if Di Maria leaves, which I don't think is going to happen anyways.
Yep. Sound reasoning.

rotherham_red

Di Maria and Depay on either wing... I'm breaking out a smile at the mere thought of it :)

The incision of those two when they are on song will be a joy to watch and should hopefully lead to a stronger return for our strikers too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Obviously it wouldn't hurt having him in the side (sure as hell would hurt the financial side though). But if we got him, we also just signed Depay, Di Maria and Mata. While of course that's absolutely wank worthy on fifa and FM, in reality we would have to play 2 of them on the bench probably.
We would offload some players first. It would be just enough for four parallel competitions with solid ambition to win something in the end.

You have to also take the injury plagues into consideration which at some point you know it may happen.

wiz4231

Reus.

bosnian_red

Agreed. Unless di maria leaves, then I can't see us going for him since it'd just overload the wing options and disrupt the squad. Van Gaal likes balance and he won't purposely disrupt the good balance we'll have with depay just because bale is available (for an absurd price).

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
His heat map from tonight:

In all seriousness if he isn't good enough for Real Madrid what makes people believe he'd be good enough for us? It's clear a lot of work will have to be put in to reclaim his confidence, and we've seen how difficult that is this season with di Maria and Falcao. Falcao may or may not simply be shite though.

bosnian_red

Well, it can go two ways with our current options. I have hope that for various reason, they'll all improve next season apart from young really. Di maria will have been here for a year and be more settled with a full pre season, januzaj will have a fresh start after a tough second season, mata has continually shown improvements in his overall involvement as He's adapted more to van gaals style, and then we'll add in depay. Now if you're super optimistic, we'll have januzaj back on track, one of the best youngsters around fighting with di maria and mata, 2 of the best creative players in the world, and then add in depay, one of the most promising young players in the world currently as well. Plenty of pace, creativity, and goals.

Obviously it can all go to shit and just everyone flops but I have hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.