Garnacho overhead kick. Remember the moment!

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Mark Hughes’s goal 89/90 season against City was another spectacular goal. Especially from him picking the ball up and playing it forward before he finished with an overhead goal.

neon_badger

Goal of a lifetime. Absolutely iconic finish.... but being the miserable fecker that I am I'm marking him down for how he celebrated.....the suiii, the Arjen Robben hand thing and those eyebrows.

The Oracle

My reaction at the time...

"Wow what a goal!!!"

Simply sensational.

What makes it all the more better was that Pickford was positioned well, dove fully outstretched and he still couldn't even get a finger tip to it.

Brilliant overhead kick, up there with Bale's, dare I say it was better?!

**Edit: of course it was better... and better than Rooney's too for the clean strike of the ball and the fact that he was running away from the goal before he made contact.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Whole pub went silent cause none of us could believe what we'd just seen.

What a fecking goal.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Nah. The nerve of doing that in such a big game, and then pulling it off, is on another level.

Everton are shit, it’s a game which Utd are expected to win.

A big goal but Rooney’s was bigger.
I get what you are saying, just feel that Garnacho's was more aesthetically pleasing especially with Pickford going all out for the save.

It is just pretty cool that we have these two goals to be able to compare & contrast against each other.

The White Pele

I was looking away from the screen because my baby daughter had just been sick over me! :( So I feel like I missed the experience somewhat.

Incredible goal! I hope they do a big analysis of it on MNF because it’s just unbelievable. When you slow it down, as Dalot crosses the ball Garnacho is still heading in the direction of the goal, so he shifts his body weight as the ball is in the air, runs a few steps away from goal (at least 3 or 4, maybe more) at speed, launches himself in the air, judges the speed and trajectory of the ball and meets the ball at probably 6ft height? Makes clean contact and puts it in the top corner on the opposite side of goal. All in under 2 seconds. It defies logic.

Hester_manc

I have watched it over and over again - the technique, the goal, the reactions of the players, the reactions of the fans - everything.

FriedClams

Better than Rooneys, but Rooneys wins because it was the derby.
Obviously the narrative around Rooneys goal is awesome, but I think the story of Garnachos is just as cool. Young player with lots to prove (Rooney was already established, playing in a much better team) and the opposition have just had the biggest points deduction ever handed out, and the fans are right up for the game. Garnacho does that with a little over 2 minutes on the clock and completely takes the fans out of the game for the opening sequences. Given how poor we have been this season, and how Everton were expected to be so galvanized, I actually rate the "story" of his goal more than Rooneys.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Its the distance from goal that gets me. Very impressive for someone that young to even try it. He's a very special player, we need to surround him with players of equal quality or we'll lose him.

Oranges038

Better than Rooneys, but Rooneys wins because it was the derby.
I think Rooney's volley against Newcastle was better than his over head and better than Garnacho's goal today.

It was a great goal from Garnacho, I've watched it about 50 times, mostly to see if he shinned it, don't think he did. A goal you could never get tired of seeing.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think Rooney's volley against Newcastle was better than his over head and better than Garnacho's goal today.

It was a great goal from Garnacho, I've watched it about 50 times, mostly to see if he shinned it, don't think he did. A goal you could never get tired of seeing.
People need to stop discounting for shinning

Once you're up in the air, it's part technique part luck whether you shin it or use your foot

He'll never score another goal like that and it's not because he lacks technique

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Watched his goal like 10 times since the match. Love the commentary on it! The excitement! Makes me smile every time I watch it! Viva Garnachooo

Oranges038

People need to stop discounting for shinning

Once you're up in the air, it's part technique part luck whether you shin it or use your foot

He'll never score another goal like that and it's not because he lacks technique
Nah, shinning it always takes some of the shine of it.

The Irish Connection

We’ll have to give Ronaldo some credit here too. Garnacho is a big fan of Cristiano and I don’t think he tries it without having Cristiano as such a big influence.

Sublime goal.

Chicharo

Its the distance from goal that gets me. Very impressive for someone that young to even try it. He's a very special player, we need to surround him with players of equal quality or we'll lose him.
As you said he's a special player, and players of that caliber rely on their instincts and consistently strive to score when they sense the opportunity. He sensed that he could score and went for the ball. Of course, the technique is impeccable.
I really hope he and Mainoo are the future of this club, but I agree we should aim to bring more players of a similar caliber.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
That's up there with the Bake/Ronaldo Madrid bicycle kicks as the best I've ever seen. And it's a pretty damn good contender for the best ever.

Blood Mage

Ronaldo's rocket free kick against Portsmouth is still my all-time favourite United goal but this is a close second. Absolute stunner.