Garry Pallister - quickest player SAF has ever worked with

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Holy shite, that's a turn up for the books! :eek:

Lots of threads on here which end up discussing the quickest player at United. I don't think Pallister's name has ever come up. Imagine my surprise when I saw this quote from SAF on tribalbollox

Ferguson tells Usain Bolt: Pallister fastest I've had at Man Utd
30.01.09 | tribalfootball.com
Olympic Games champion Usain Bolt has put Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson on the spot about the fastest player at Old Trafford.

He asked Sir Alex: “Who is the quickest player you’ve worked with?

Sir Alex told the club’s official magazine Inside United – celebrating its 200th anniversary: “We’ve had a lot of quick players here. If you’re talking over certain distances, then Gary Pallister would have taken some beating in a sprint.

“I think he was the quickest in the 100 metres. But speed in football isn’t about running 100 metres on a football pitch. So you’ve also got to consider Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, Giggs, Cole, Paul Parker - he was very, very quick - Anderson, Ferdinand, Lee Sharpe as a young kid was quick before he started to get bigger.

“Paul Ince was very quick. So that group of players would be in it, but over 100 metres, Pallister would have beaten any of them. In a football sense, I’d say Kanchelskis and Giggs, particularly when he was younger.”
Granted, he's talking about running the full 100m which would never happen in a game of football but - be honest now - would any of you have put Pallister's name in the hat?

pillory

I've heard Pallister being spoken of as lightning fast several times before. Not sure about fastest, though. I can't say I remember it myself, seeing as my brain didn't really start recording data from matches until I was about 14-15 and Pallister into his thirties.

SecondFig

ronaldo cant run 100 metres without falling over or he would win it...
I shouldn't, but that still made me laugh :lol:

But I never would have picked Pally as the quickest, he must have a hell of a last 50m on him, because there's no way he'd beat the likes of Ronaldo, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Anderson, Blomqvist etc. over the first 25m

Cal?

CR7 fan
But Ronaldo beat that Bugatti Veyron... :confused:

Actually, I've heard this comment from Sir Alex a long time ago, just kind of surprised the answer hasn't changed since we signed Ronaldo & co.

redevil2

I've heard Pallister being spoken of as lightning fast several times before. Not sure about fastest, though. I can't say I remember it myself, seeing as my brain didn't really start recording data from matches until I was about 14-15 and Pallister into his thirties.
I certainly trust SAF's judgment as he trains with his players day in day out... What we saw on the pitch, the players do not get to run 100m, hence it's not easy to spot their lightning speed, as they don't need to! In training, I am sure they do races all the time! Pally must have been more a sprinter! Credit to him for his size! But of course Usain Bolt himself is tall, like 6' 3 or 6' 4!

edit: just found out Usain Bolt is 6' 5"!!!!

el eric

He had that funny run didnt he where although he was running lightning fast it never looked like he was going flat out. kind of Michael Johnson like.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I suspect Ruud would be quick over 100, the goal against Fulham when he got a chance to motor over distance was astonishing

born&raisedred

I heard andy goram was the quickest when he spent some time at old trafford, but fergie never includes him as he only played a couple of times

sidsutton

Actually, I've heard this comment from Sir Alex a long time ago, just kind of surprised the answer hasn't changed since we signed Ronaldo & co.
I've heard him say this before, too.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I can see the next headline being:

United are looking into the availability of Olympic star Usain Bolt.
Teach him how to twat a ball really hard running at full pace.

You've got a council estate version of Henry right there.

I'm sure he'll pick up the rest of it as he goes.

MG

I would have thought Giggs or Ronaldo were the quickest. They're probably quickest with the ball (when they were younger, in Giggsy's case), but Pallister was quicker over 100m.
Wouldn't have thought it of Pally.

SecondFig

if you put a pint of guinness at the end of the 100m track mgrath would have beaten everybody... FACT
:lol:

Must admit I love the idea of a 100m spring with the ball - I can pretty much guarantee Pally wouldn't have been near the top 10, let alone 1st!