Gary Neville

Zoo

Roy Keane agrees with Neville. Time for another thread?
Because they both think De Gea is soft. That’s fine. Keepers always get these decisions but they are wilfully ignoring it which shows the level of their punditry.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Nev completely slating AWB here, he's got absolutely no support Infront of him and Lindelof's giving him no help on the inside.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No surprise at all that G Nev and Keane wouldn't think it's a foul. Both are beyond parody these days.

Keane being one of only 2 people in the world who thought the Nani red v Real was correct.

M Bison

Supports
York City
This thread is the 2nd worst on the caf at the moment, only the bursting Rashy’s bubble is worse.

Our fans are unique.

SuperiorXI

De Gea has possession. VVD is late and charges into him. It's a late challenge, simple as that
No he doesn't, he tries to get possession, the same way VVD tries to get possession. If we are saying you can't use physical contact it's a foul, but that law doesn't exist.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No he doesn't, he tries to get possession, the same way VVD tries to get possession. If we are saying you can't use physical contact it's a foul, but that law doesn't exist.
De Gea has both hands on the ball at the moment of contact. That constitutes possession of the ball by the gk. Hence, foul. Can't hit the keepers arm to make him lose possession

Edit here's the relevant rule
A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:

• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body)
  • while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand
  • while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air
When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's an idiot.

"Greenwood ducked out of it! Why did he duck out of it?!"

As the slo-mo replay clearly shows the cross well behind Greenwood's head.

SuperiorXI

De Gea has both hands on the ball at the moment of contact. That constitutes possession of the ball by the gk. Hence, foul. Can't hit the keepers arm to make him lose possession

Debateable. Looked more like he was about to catch it, rather than him having it in possession.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Debateable. Looked more like he was about to catch it, rather than him having it in possession.
It's not. He has the ball in his hands

But even assuming that was the case, it'd still be a late challenge. Van Dijk has no chance of getting the ball, de gea gets to it first and is prevented from controlling it by a challenge on his arm(the part of the body that he was using to control the ball)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

And we have people here who thinks he never criticize Woodward for his hotel business.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Neville is right to have a go at them, but you don't get sacked when your number one priority is the commercial side and it's booming.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Yeah it's clearly a foul. Nothing debateable about it.

Oggmonster

Neville is right to have a go at them, but you don't get sacked when your number one priority is the commercial side and it's booming.
I think the point being made is a lot of people claim he doesn't say anything about them ever (it's mentioned a lot in this thread.) He does though, I've seen him call out Woodward since Jose was under pressure. Maybe he doesn't call out the Glazers as much but as he says in his first sentence there he can't really do much about them.

He was wrong on the de Gea one, it was a foul clearly but I wasn't up in arms about him saying it wasn't either. I think people get way to wound up about him personally, hes watching the game live and is obviously a fan, I'm sure plenty of us say stupid stuff during a live game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He's a windbag but I don't find him that annoying.

I think the weirdest thing is that he's become like a representative for the club by proxy. He's reflecting his own views and while they might cohere to ours, I don't think he's got any particular sway when it comes to decision-making about the club. Quite honestly I can't think of a single thing that's ever changed just because Gary Neville has an opinion about it.

Dante

Average bang
It wasn't a foul. De Gea at fault, weak as piss.
It's probably a 20-80 call. Neville is on the more permissive end of the scale. Most would consider it a foul. I don't see what wrong with having that opinion. I certainly wouldn't say that you're dead to me, for instance - even though I disagree with you.

If Manchester United fans are expected to err on the side of their own club, the posters giving Neville abuse are guilty of being anti-United by the same logic.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is this the correct thread to admit that I sometimes secretly watch Gary Neville's soccerbox and sort of enjoy it? Or will that result in a ban?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

And we have people here who thinks he never criticize Woodward for his hotel business.
About as strong as he feels he can be against the suits at United, fair play for that. Now I'd like his honest appraisal about Ole's management as I can't believe Gary believes he's doing a good job, irrespective of the terrible cards he's been dealt.

Also I could do without the 1990s blood and thunder bullshit coming from him and Keane yesterday about De Gea and about Greenwood:

He's an idiot.

"Greenwood ducked out of it! Why did he duck out of it?!"

As the slo-mo replay clearly shows the cross well behind Greenwood's head.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Unfortunately yes, at least for now. The Glazers and Woodward don't care about the long term effects because they dont plan to be around by then.
It is not booming. You only have to look at out last few annual reports.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
His main gripe, which I think is absolutely justified, is that we left it to the last minute. Always a sign of a poorly run club.

It is not booming. You only have to look at out last few annual reports.
You have Brexit to thank for that. We report in GBP and our financials are good. Most articles you see are in EUR or USD.