Gary Neville

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not when you consider Jermain Jenas, a significantly less famous and successful footballer, presents the one show.

Neville was part of the treble team, an England regular and also one of the leaders of that England player revolt. He was probably already pretty widely known before he retired tbf.
Jenas is even more of a mystery considering he's a complete vacuum of a man.

Also, I'm always surprised how little people who don't follow football actually know - even when it comes to England players. For example I bet most wouldn't have a clue who Luke Shaw is despite him being England's left back for like 5 years now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Micah has done very well for himself post-football to be fair (but then he's quite the personality... which I'm not sure you could say about G.Nev) - but I still think it's very much sport-centric.

I don't think the old lady who sits behind me in the office knows who Micah is, but she definitely knows who Neville is.
Not sure why Micah is quite the personality and Neville isn’t? Micah is a lot of fun in the studio and has an infectious laugh and laid back attitude but Neville has the ability to articulate himself very well and connect with people on that topic - not everyone has that and it’s why he’s such a prominent pundit. That’s part of personality. Just like Keanos dominant presence, sharp critique and wit is.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Nah, Neville has been abit of a household name for sometime just through his association with Beckham.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Bit harsh - if you watch him on CBS, MOTD Podcast or the stuff he's done with Keane he's a lot more then just a laugh.
I've seen plenty of him, he's just a loud, uninteresting person. I'm not a fan of Neville by any stretch of the imagination, but he tries to articulate his points and has a lot more "depth" to him than Richards does.

tomaldinho1

He's played it well to be fair, he leans into controversy and anything that'll go viral. That mini-retirement lark was definitely just attention seeking and everyone seems to have given him what he wants.

I'm just waiting to see if he actually moves into politics.
I think he's hinted that's the aim. He's been acting like a politician for a while now so it won't be much different - you just feign outrage at any 'hot' topics, remind people you're just a 'lad from Manchester' to associate yourself with the people whilst . I'm not quite sure the value he brings to Dragons Den though, he's started businesses from a position of extreme wealth - it's unlikely there will be a hopeful start up pitching buying a football club, a hotel or luxury property development and that's where his network will be. Get your bets in as to when he first name drops David Beckham as a business partner.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Nah, Neville has been abit of a household name for sometime just through his association with Beckham.
Nah, before Sky Sports, no one outside of football knew Neville even if he was Beckham’s best man.

I think the long injury lay offs for Neville and Jenas have them the time to set up their media career.

Chairman Steve

Gary is that mate who swears they won’t get political on a night out but one drink later and they won’t shut up.

For his sake he shouldn’t go into politics because I don’t think he’d be that good. It’d be funny to watch though as he fancies himself up on his soapbox and thinks he‘s a lot smarter than he really is. He got decimated on Have I Got News For You over Qatar and couldnt fire back at Hislop on anything.

Withnail

Jenas is even more of a mystery considering he's a complete vacuum of a man.

Also, I'm always surprised how little people who don't follow football actually know - even when it comes to England players. For example I bet most wouldn't have a clue who Luke Shaw is despite him being England's left back for like 5 years now.
Is that why they had the players introduce themselves like it was a team building exercise before every World Cup game?

I found it truly bizarre. I'd no idea this went on.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon

theballisround

99% I would hit him with a wooden plank, but he has that 1% of time where he actually says stuff nobody else has the balls to do it, props to him for that.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Probably unpopular to you know support a United legend. But good for him! Hope he smashes it, he'll bring viewers that's for sure.

Mike Smalling

Genuine question, what successful businesses has Neville started that are not football related? I know he has bought some within hospitality, but has he ever started something from scratch?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Genuine question, what successful businesses has Neville started that are not football related? I know he has bought some within hospitality, but has he ever started something from scratch?
Was wondering this too. Not sure why you'd pick him over the others.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not really sure on specifics - but I think he does quite well in the Real Estate world? Plus there's his Hotel Football, and that University Academy 92, though no idea how succesful either are.

Pretty sure he started a production company that did quite well too?

Jericho

I never would have guessed he would be this attention seeking when he was a player. Keane has said that Neville was very quiet in the dressing room back back in the day. He's definitely making the most of his post-playing career but I've had more than enough of him. His whole "use the platform to highlight the issues in Qatar" nonsense was exactly what we all thought it was, a weak excuse to take money. Take the money then, but please don't preach to us about the good you say you're doing. His "managers need time" spiel doesn't jibe with the way he handles the managers at Salford. He actually seems like a bit of arsehole on the Class of 92' series with the people below him.

I used to like his punditry but over time I've come to realize he's a bit of a hypocrite and he talks a fair bit of shite and I've just had enough of him so I tend not to watch or listen to anything he's on now.

Honestly, the more I see of the class of 92 in general the more disappointed with them I am. I hold Nicky Butt in the highest regard now.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

It gets to a point with celebrities where you wonder just how much exposure and money they want. It's easy to be a successful investor when you're already a millionaire and have friends in high places. I don't really understand why he's on the show and why he would want to be on it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Gary is that mate who swears they won’t get political on a night out but one drink later and they won’t shut up.

For his sake he shouldn’t go into politics because I don’t think he’d be that good. It’d be funny to watch though as he fancies himself up on his soapbox and thinks he‘s a lot smarter than he really is. He got decimated on Have I Got News For You over Qatar and couldnt fire back at Hislop on anything.
Boris Johnson got ripped to shreds on HIGNFY and it didn't stop him!

Bertie Wooster

HIGNFY is very much Hislop and Merton's home ground. They're both quick witted comedians who've done the show for years. The audience turn up mostly to watch them and are happy to go along with taking their side when they decide to 'decimate' one of the guests. And of course the show is edited, with a priority to reflect well on the two regular 'stars' of the show. So it's virtually impossible for any guest to ever get the better of them - or even to be portrayed as landing any hits.

Jericho

HIGNFY is very much Hislop and Merton's home ground. They're both quick witted comedians who've done the show for years. The audience turn up mostly to watch them and are happy to go along with taking their side when they decide to 'decimate' one of the guests. And of course the show is edited, with a priority to reflect well on the two regular 'stars' of the show. So it's virtually impossible for any guest to ever get the better of them - or even to be portrayed as landing any hits.
Editing wasn't Neville's problem on that show, it was that he didn't have anything to say for himself when Hislop told him he there was also the option to raise the issues in Qatar while NOT taking their money at the same time. Neville had no response to this other than to laugh. That's because there is no response that other than, "Yeah, you're right there".

Bertie Wooster

Editing wasn't Neville's problem on that show, it was that he didn't have anything to say for himself when Hislop told him he there was also the option to raise the issues in Qatar while NOT taking their money at the same time. Neville had no response to this other than to laugh. That's because there is no response that other than, "Yeah, you're right there".
Yeah, it was more of a general point rather than excusing Neville. I didn't actually see that episode - I used to watch the show a lot but it became very repetive, with the same targets and predictable jokes, so only watch it every so often now.

As you say, in Neville's case, not really much he could fight back with over that.

Tiber

Weird choice. Doesn't Peter Lim just bankroll most of his companies

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd say it'll be neck and neck between United, Liverpool and Chelsea for 4th and 5th place. City and Arsenal will be competing again. And I think Newcastle will grab 3rd, quite comfortably too.

git_united

I'd say it'll be neck and neck between United, Liverpool and Chelsea for 4th and 5th place. City and Arsenal will be competing again. And I think Newcastle will grab 3rd, quite comfortably too.
I think Newcastle will actually push the front two and wouldn’t be surprised if they finished 2nd.

Baxquux

I watched this, I swear he had United top 4 if not 3rd?
He definitely had United 4th when he and Carragher were discussing respective predictions... Not that I blame him especially for changing his mind after seeing us against Wolves