Gary Neville

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m probably not that bothered by it because I didn’t hear him say it during the game, but I can appreciate it’s irked people. But my point on Neville is that it doesn’t matter what he says, it’s only United fans worrying that other United fans will take his word as gospel, and yet every United fan on here and social media generally thinks he talks bollocks about United most of the time.
Fair point. I just think to say something that's just totally untrue is poor, and he should look to rectify that. He's unnecessarily added to a big pile on, and the big issue I had was saying something false. Probably because the performance and everything was awful I'm a bit like 'let's not add to that by adding false stuff, it was fecking bad enough on Sunday' :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Fair point. I just think to say something that's just totally untrue is poor, and he should look to rectify that. He's unnecessarily added to a big pile on, and the big issue I had was saying something false. Probably because the performance and everything was awful I'm a bit like 'let's not add to that by adding false stuff, it was fecking bad enough on Sunday' :lol:
How do you know it's totally untrue?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm sure that if Neville joined United 10 years earlier, he'd not appreciate all the negativity (even during an uptrend) because United aren't fulfilling Busby Babes standards. We didn't begin in 1993.

I don't care either, quite enjoy it actually. He's passionate AF and tries his heart out every game.
Thanks, I thought we were founded the same time as skysports until you clarified that. Silly comment.

neville is miserable, it’s who he is, he’s a fan who’s watching us have a shocking time, when we win or something good happens he’s the first to celebrate.
Sadly that hasn’t happened enough for any of us.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol: Fair enough, it could be a master stroke from Neville actually. Everyone’s in here talking about something that didn’t happen and getting angry instead of talking about how shit we were and targeting the players and manager.

Great Mourinho-esque tactic from Neville.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Just rewatched him saying that about Bruno and it is worse than I remembered and he does directly say he’s asking why he’s not coming off. Yeah that wasn’t good, he really had his tits out with Bruno there

Vault Dweller

How do we know that?
Because I saw the clip being referenced when Neville said that's what he was doing, and he clearly wasn't asking to come off. And because reputable sources have come out and said he absolutely was not asking to come off. People have their own opinion, fine. But on the balance of probability at the least, Bruno was not asking to be subbed off. Therefore, what Neville said and peddled was false. Like countless other people have said in here other than myself.

:lol: Fair enough, it could be a master stroke from Neville actually. Everyone’s in here talking about something that didn’t happen and getting angry instead of talking about how shit we were and targeting the players and manager.

:lol: at the very least, I hope it was a kick up the backside for them all big time and there is a reaction on Thursday.

duffer

Scout
Because I saw the clip being referenced when Neville said that's what he was doing, and he clearly wasn't asking to come off. And because reputable sources have come out and said he absolutely was not asking to come off. People have their own opinion, fine. But on the balance of probability at the least, Bruno was not asking to be subbed off. Therefore, what Neville said and peddled was false. Like countless other people have said in here other than myself.
I have not seen the clip so fair enough. I just assumed he must have been waving at the bench or something for Neville to say that.

I don't really see why asking to come off is a big deal anyway. I know in recent months I'd rather a few Chelsea players had asked to come off rather than stay on and offer up zero effort on the pitch.

This backlash against Neville does kinda smell of redirected anger following a awful result from fans.

Vault Dweller

I have not seen the clip so fair enough. I just assumed he must have been waving at the bench or something for Neville to say that.

I don't really see why asking to come off is a big deal anyway. I know in recent months I'd rather a few Chelsea players had asked to come off rather than stay on and offer up zero effort on the pitch.

This backlash against Neville does kinda smell of redirected anger following a awful result from fans.
That might be a fair point too.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Indeed. How can anyone go for Neville after that performance when there are many more people in front of him who were actually responsible for it?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How do you know it's totally untrue?
Watch the clip then. One has to be a special kind of idiot to even assume that Bruno of all people asked to come off based on that clip. This is a guy who plays more or less every minute of every game season after season.

arthurka

Id charge you for that.

Gary Neville is an utter bell end. He has done more damage to United on TV than any other pundit could. I hope the coach and players reject any interaction with the utter drivel merchant.
:lol: yeah I would at least offer you one for free but that's just how I roll.

Yeah I agree, but there is nothing new there, he has been one for all of his career. I just find it amusing how much he bothers people. Most of our past players are absolute knobends when it comes to punditry he is just like has always been.

He is being paid to spew drivel on TV he knows how to get the headlines, I couldn't give one shit about the bullshit he yells out every weekend. He shouldn't be given one minute by us or the club and it's staff.

Just my take on this

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Thanks, I thought we were founded the same time as skysports until you clarified that. Silly comment.

neville is miserable, it’s who he is, he’s a fan who’s watching us have a shocking time, when we win or something good happens he’s the first to celebrate.
Sadly that hasn’t happened enough for any of us.
The bolded part is what it comes down to, and people like that frustrate me and is probably why I dislike him!

Gazza

Come on, you're usually much better than this! :) People are annoyed that Gary Neville has made up an accusation against one of our players, an accusation that is evidently false but even so has led to his character being attacked publicly. That's what is going on here. You're being a bit disingenuous with your "no big deal anyway" comment because we know in football it's not the done thing to ask to be substituted and that it will lead to a player getting abused by his fans - you know this sort of thing happens in real life. And then it turns out you haven't even seen the clip that you were questioning the other poster on! :lol: Sorry duffer, but you're better than this, fella!

RedDevil@84

Nev is a true red, anyone who doubts that just says it because they have other issues with him.
Don't think anyone is claiming he hated United. But he has a clear bias against us in commentary and goes overboard with criticism of our players. One can claim it is because of excessive love, but don't really agree.

crossy1686

career ending
Did a quick search on socials to see what really happened and it seems that Bruno was waiting at the centre circle to kick off after Nunez scored the 5th. He’s looking over to the bench with Elanga waiting to come on, then Rashfords number comes up and he throws his arms up in the air and starts shouting.

Bruno said he wasn’t asking to come off. Say what you want, that’s still petulant behaviour

redcafe_reader

He makes some dodgy comments as a pundit theres no doubt about that but he was a top quality right back and there is absolutely no overrating there. There is no way Fergie would have selected him over 600 times if he wasn`t a real quality right back. A huge part of Fergies United and a real Legend at the club.
I am not saying he's not quality. I just don't think he's on the same level of quality as other players, and as I said, he needed United ( + SAF + Beckham) more than United needed him, because I think we can have similar success without him, but hard to say we will achieve the same without Keane Scholes Beckham Giggs, etc. Again, I understand my opinion is not popular, but when I watched us back then, I can't help but think Gary is the weak link in our defense as I keep seeing him making mistakes or not fast/positioning well enough to close down a danger, and I really want us to upgrade on him. I never feel "safe" with him.

Basically, I think he's just a good talent, not world-class as others, and I stand by that.

It's just you, ask SAF if he agrees, he'd just laugh at you
SAF is very loyal to his players. If you tell him we should not sign Ronaldo back or we should release Ronaldo in the summer he would laugh at you too...

So you think Gary should be able to make fake news as he wishes?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If you read the posts in this very page you'll see I said I haven't even seen it.

I was just wondering how anyone can be so utterly certain of this kind of thing.
So you haven't even seen the 'incident' you are arguing about. Brilliant.

duffer

Scout
So you think Gary should be able to make fake news as he wishes?
He's paid to give his opinion on what's happening in the game. He might be wrong but commentators get shit wrong all the time.

It's football, he's not spreading Covid miss-information or saying the earth is flat. "Fake news", give me a break.

Loon

:lol:
If you read the posts in this very page you'll see I said I haven't even seen it.

I was just wondering how anyone can be so utterly certain of this kind of thing.
Obviously the only people who know the truth are the player and manager. Possibly the other players.

If it were true, he will be done under Ten Hag.

duffer

Scout
If it were true, he will be done under Ten Hag.
Why?

Is asking to come off worse than staying on and not trying? I'd say absolutely not.

All things being considered, I'd imagine he didn't ask to come off but I don't see how it's come crazily awful accusation, especially when pretty much all your players had given up at that point (being a Chelsea fan, I know all about players not trying).

Loon

Why?

Is asking to come off worse than staying on and not trying? I'd say absolutely not.
If he had a legitimate reason, yes. Asking to come off because he doesn't fancy it is another thing. He''ll be finished.

Withnail

Has he not apologised yet?

I don't like Bruno at all but that was bang out of order from Neville. It's was a character hit on Bruno and the misinformation has spread like wildfire. As the single source of spreading this lie, Neville should have apologised immediately it came out that he didn't ask to be subbed.

When it came to speaking about the super league he had no problem getting in front of a camera on his off day and being in the limelight. There's no excuse for not apologising yet.
He's definitely got a problem with Bruno. He's been calling him a whinger for ages and it's quite unprofessional.

As others have mentioned he recently appealed for a corner and Gary makes a comment about him whinging at the ref. This wasn't anything out of the ordinary and wasn't a controversial decision. However, once the ref gave the corner Gary follows up with a comment about how the whinging worked.

Everyone doesn't see everything that happens so comments made by commentators become the reality, unfortunately.

Loon

Players do that all the time. They normally just pretend to be injured!
That would fall under "legitimate" :lol: If he didn't have the balls he'll suffer the same fate that Ajax lad did, as promising as he was.

Fernandes is a whinging gobshite at times, but I don't think he lacks bottle for the fight.

redcafe_reader

He's paid to give his opinion on what's happening in the game. He might be wrong but commentators get shit wrong all the time.

It's football, he's not spreading Covid miss-information or saying the earth is flat. "Fake news", give me a break.
Bruno didn't ask to be subbed. There is nothing big/clear enough to indicate he wanted to. Gary made a statement that Bruno asked to be subbed and then attack him for it. That's literally fake news. Fake news = news that is fake. He literally spreads misinformation about Bruno.

No need to derail it by mentioning Covid or flat earth. If you have an argument/proof that what Gary did is not fake news, post it, and don't derail.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Is that a good thing? The last thing I'd want if we lost like that to Arsenal or Spurs are the players getting away with little to no attention. I'd go as far as saying I'd want most if not all the players that got significant minutes in that match completely out of the next matchday squad.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
There has been "backlash" against Neville for ages now, it's not limited to Sunday (and it's as disingenuous to pretend it is as it was for Neville to portray Bruno as complaining about not coming off).

RedDevil@84

Anyone who says it is no big deal what pundits say need a reality check. The pundits and the media drive the narrative in the country. Everyone from FA to the refs are affected by it.
Be it VAR, penalties, fouls given by the ref., everything is affected by the media talk.

Withnail

Is that a good thing? The last thing I'd want if we lost like that to Arsenal or Spurs are the players getting away with little to no attention. I'd go as far as saying I'd want most if not all the players that got significant minutes in that match completely out of the next matchday squad.
Have you seen what the squad would be like if we dropped everyone who played significant minutes on Sunday?