g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gary Neville

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The other thing about Neille, when he realised his body was done, he stepped aside. Not too many pros would have the honesty to do that, a lot keep on going past their sell by dates, a lot of full backs once their pace goes try and play centre half. Fergie didn't want him to retire but he knew himself he couldn't maintain the standards he set.
Those two games against West Brom and Stoke made for tough viewing though. He was so off the pace and should've been sent off in both of them. He should've retired after the 09/10 season instead of staying on another year.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
His ability as a right back is never in doubt, he was an unrivalled mainstay for United (and England) for years.

That doesn't give him license to constantly spout bollocks as a commentator and pundit.
The fact that he’s a commentator and pundit gives him the license to give his opinion as a commentator and pundit though.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Neville was a great defender, and it wasn't until Beckham left that people appreciated how good his crossing actually was. The other thing about Neille, when he realised his body was done, he stepped aside. Not too many pros would have the honesty to do that, a lot keep on going past their sell by dates, a lot of full backs once their pace goes try and play centre half. Fergie didn't want him to retire but he knew himself he couldn't maintain the standards he set.
I guess that depends on when he came into the consciousness of the fan in question because he came through as a superb crosser of the ball, which was on full display at Euro '96. What was actually strange is that his crossing seemed to decline from its starting point, sort of like how O'Shea looked like he was going to be one of the best dribbling FB's of his era based off his debut season before he really dropped off as a ball-carrying FB.

Withnail

This is the "worst" thing about Neville for me - the man is so self-deprecating/undermining himself as a footballer that people are actually starting to think he wasn't a brilliant footballer, and easily one of the best right-backs in Prem history.
Who's giving this bloke a platform if he hasn't got a clue? Oh it's Rio and his awful content. Controversy for controversy's sake.

poleglass red

Those two games against West Brom and Stoke made for tough viewing though. He was so off the pace and should've been sent off in both of them. He should've retired after the 09/10 season instead of staying on another year.
and fergie wanted him to stay on when he told him he was finished. A lot of players might have took that advice, gladly he didn't, as you say he was finished and he knew it.

poleglass red

I guess that depends on when he came into the consciousness of the fan in question because he came through as a superb crosser of the ball, which was on full display at Euro '96. What was actually strange is that his crossing seemed to decline from its starting point, sort of like how O'Shea looked like he was going to be one of the best dribbling FB's of his era based off his debut season before he really dropped off as a ball-carrying FB.
kind of my point, Beckham wasn't at Euro 96, so Neville's crossing stood out more. It tended to be overshadowed by Beckham when they played together, due to all the fanfare around Beckham. Becks tended to get the plaudits more for his crossing. That flank we had 2 quality crossers of the ball.

Amir

I don't know if it declined, but I certainly felt it was at his best in his latter years, post Beckham and before the big injury. That's partly why that injury was so cruel. It really finished him when he was at his prime.

Highfather_24

Can someone please explain the "reborn as a dragon" part, it always cracks me up for some reason :lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah that is bang on apart from the fact that I have actually started to look at other things when United are playing and I am not kind of basing my whole day around United now

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yup, couldn't have said it better. Bored of this football club. We all are, just look at how many people here rejoiced at the three international breaks because it was a break from watching our shower of shite.
I was saying to someone yesterday that if I asked you in the last 10 years how many memorable wins the club has had then I think you could count it on your fingers. Watching sport is about memories & an attachment to those players on the field and I have no happy feelings about this club or any of those on the pitch

djembatheking

I feel the same, still can`t stop watching the games but there rarely seems to be any joy at the final whistle. Tiring.

Marwood

He's spot on.

The tiring part is how unnecessary all this is. It doesn't need to be this difficult at a club like United.

redshaw

Talks a lot about Utd here from 11:00 onwards

Very good summary by Gary on United.

The circle of owners, players, managers and the money spent to produce such feeble football.

Just hope SJR can implement the right people and structure that brings back the authority, discipline, winning mentality and courageous football. The 1-0 loss at Newcastle was as bad as the 7-0, if not more, it's a grim long culmination of decay and sheepish players looking beat before a ball is kicked.

Last edited:

Glorio

Gary Neville speaking what all our collective hearts are feeling

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Very good summary by Gary on United.

The circle of owners, players, managers and the money spent to produce such feeble football.

Just hope SJR can implement the right people and structure that brings back the authority, discipline, winning mentality and courageous football. The 1-0 loss at Newcastle was as bad as the 7-0, if not more, it's a grim long culmination of decay and sheepish players looking beat before a ball is kicked.
I thought we edged the first half vs Liverpool and were unlucky to go in 1-0 down at half time. On Saturday we looked beaten from minute 1.

Jules_T

Brilliant by Gary. It's exactly how I feel.
Bored of it.
But I'll tune in again for the next game with hope.

Fts 74

Hes spot on and like most of us will watch on Wednesday.

It's the hope that kills you.

tomaldinho1

He’s bang on about the style of play. LVG is the only one who forced the club to actually change regardless of it not working how we wanted and he did that through selling heaps of average players (issue was the players replacing them) but the tactics on the pitch we all saw, we never got hammered, always competitive in big games with quite an average squad in hindsight.

Need to find someone as hands on but much younger who will impose themselves on this group of overpaid chancers.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
He’s bang on about the style of play. LVG is the only one who forced the club to actually change regardless of it not working how we wanted and he did that through selling heaps of average players (issue was the players replacing them) but the tactics on the pitch we all saw, we never got hammered, always competitive in big games with quite an average squad in hindsight.

Need to find someone as hands on but much younger who will impose themselves on this group of overpaid chancers.
At this point, I'd swap for some boring LvG football at least you could tell there was structure and the manager was getting his ideas through to the players. I think that decision to sack him set us into this doom cycle we're in right now and clearly showed the powers in charge were making it up as they went and still are. My biggest disappointment with ETH is he came in with a similar reputation as LvG but with modern exciting football and has lowered himself to the level of the club. Or worse yet has fallen victim to it.

Redstain

He's rightfully calling Erik out in a respectful manner with his comparison in implementing a style of play despite money being spent. It's actually the first time in a while I can remember that he's been critical in regards of the manager. Overall a good take.

MattofManchester

He's rightfully calling Erik out in a respectful manner with his comparison in implementing a style of play despite money being spent. It's actually the first time in a while I can remember that he's been critical in regards of the manager. Overall a good take.
You completely missed his point....

Redstain

You completely missed his point....
He definitely did :lol:

“You can play poorly and win but Manchester United have been doing that for a long-time".

“LVG dominated football matches, at Manchester United there was a style of play, Since LVG I don’t think I've seen a pattern of play established”.

What really damages the likes of say ETH and Solskjaer / Jose is they’ve all spent 3-400 million quid but De Zirbi at Brighton and Postecoglou at Spurs and others like them have come in and in three or four months they’ve got them playing like Real Madrid. So that’s the problem they’ve got , it’s been shown that you can come in and have an impact upon players, a pattern of play, a style in three or four months. And we’re still sat here after 8 years and haven’t seen a pattern of play, a combination that you see repeatedly”.

The point is that he's highlighting Erik and previous managers before his time failing to implement their philosophy despite using the club's resources. It's not a lamentation about sacking the manager, but about them failing their responsibility to do something that inevitably leads to them getting sacked.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

“You can play poorly and win but Manchester United have been doing that for a long-time"
“LVG dominated football matches, at Manchester United there was a style of play, Since LVG I don’t think I've seen a pattern of play established”
What really damages the likes of say ETH and Solskjaer / Jose is they’ve all spent 3-400 million quid but De Zirbi at Brighton and Postecoglou at Spurs and others like them have come in and in three or four months they’ve got them playing like Real Madrid. So that’s the problem they’ve got , it’s been shown that you can come in and have an impact upon players, a pattern of play, a style in three or four months. And we’re still sat here after 8 years and haven’t seen a pattern of play, a combination that you see repeatedly”.

The point is that he's highlighting Erik and previous managers before his time failing to implement their philosophy despite using the club's resources. It's not a lamentation about sacking the manager, but about them failing their responsibility to do something that inevitably leads to them getting sacked.
Hes highlighting the problem lies outside of the manager, and he's said this lots of times. Most of his podcasts when talking about United is dedicated to the shit ownership and lack of structure. He talks of money spent as an indictment on them.

Redstain

Hes highlighting the problem lies outside of the manager, and he's said this lots of times. Most of his podcasts when talking about United is dedicated to the shit ownership and lack of structure. He talks of money spent as an indictment on them.
He speaks well to the wider issue but those quotes and 4 mins within this segment specifically implicate the managers responsibility.