Gary Neville

Anustart89

He said the debate should be settled in the dressing room beforehand. Not on the pitch. That's a perfectly reasonable point of view.
And it was, 8 days ago Rashford said that who wins it gets to take it. Not like they could decide before the game who was going to win a penalty, could they?

Dante

Average bang
Sure and if this was an isolated incident and he qualified his opinion with that there would be more weight behind his criticism. But we can't erase all the previous history that led up to this and that without a shadow of a doubt, revealed his dislike for Pogba.
He says both positive and negative things about Pogba.

The problem is that the internet is populated by so-called haters and fan-boys. Therefore, any opinion from a balanced pundit one way or another gets amplified and tars him forever more.

All the good stuff Neville says is ignored because the bad stuff is seen as proof that he's a 'hater'.

Jaae

Not ITK
"I thought typical you, you're selfish, why are you even thinking of taking a penalty off a player?"

Yeah sure I'm just desperate to have a dig at Neville despite sticking up for him a lot on here but crack on.
This is hilarious you are quoting that because it is completely taken out of context. Neville was quoting his initial thoughts at the incident. Literally his next sentence was giving Pogba the benefit of the doubt due to a similar situation against Chelsea a week ago. Of course the attention baiting tweet didn’t mention that and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

Try watching the whole thing before losing your rag.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Sure and if this was an isolated incident and he qualified his opinion with that there would be more weight behind his criticism. But we can't erase all the previous history that led up to this and that without a shadow of a doubt, revealed his dislike for Pogba.
I don’t think he dislikes Pogba at all. He’s just a very frustrating player at times and he has a tendency to knee jerk with his opinions like any other fan. When he’d calmed down he was talking about how good Pogba is and how good he thinks he could be. That’s clear as day.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Neville said Pogba is our best player and will win POTY this season. If those opinions should be ignored, so should your post history.

Gut feeling seems to be your bar for guilt. If that's the case, it should work both ways.
What does that have to with him going over the top with foreign players?!?! Just because he is objective in regards to the player quality gives him the right to shred through him? Do you not remember him tearing into De Gea in an OTT rant after a draw with Spurs where even Fergie called him out on his bullshit? Do you not remember him sticking up for his mate in Rooney when he was clearly finished and kept motoring 'silent domination'?

Jesse Lingard blew 2 sitters tonight, was there a single mention of it or for his shitty performances in last 9 months where he hasn't scored or created a goal for Man Utd? No, because he's English and Neville works with him in England setup

Ole doesn't have a designated penalty taker in the team, was he held accountable for it? No, because he is his mate.

Does he call out Glazers for their shitty management of the football club? No, because that would mean his hotel loses valuable revenue.

He's one of the most hypocritical pundit in the job today and that wouldn't be a problem if didn't pretend to be so objective and unbiased about it, because sure as feck he isn't.

Let me quote myself again:

But allow me to break it down to you. Last week, Rashford (an English player) earned the penalty and took the ball to take it. Last season, our 'designated' taker on pitch was Pogba. But Rashford had a word with him vs Chelsea and took it.

I didn't hear shit about how this was 'treasonous behavior', 'how sports scientists did a poor job of mentally preparing the player for penalty' or raft of other bile he spew tonight. But, sure once it's Pogba knives are out.

Just because one is converted and other isn't doesn't meantt he 'problem' wasn't there, he's just a hypocrite to not speak on it when the player is English in question.
The problem is same, scenarios are same (player who earned the penalty wants to take it). Difference is outcome and the player taking the penalty in question. If you don't see it, then debating with you is a lost cause.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yes, agree, but talking about it isnt what he did. He ranted on about it. Pogba missed a penalty. Ruud and Rooney missed penos for us. Even Cantona did. No need for the massive rant.
Pogba has missed 4 penalties since the start of last season and overall has a bad ratio. It does deserve attention in the same way Rooney's record required looking at at some stage.

Anustart89

Or, rather, that he doesn't like the fact that Pogba missed after an on-field decision made on a whim.

Neville also made a good point that Sports Scientists decide EVERYTHING about a footballer's life on and off the pitch these day. Debating after the award of a penalty is poor mental preparation for the taker, and poor decision making by both staff and players.

If Pogba had a 100% success rate and Rashford had a 64% success rate, Neville would have been fuming at Rashford if he'd taken away the ball and cost United 2 points.
No he wouldn't have.

If Pogba had taken the free kick that Rashford took today (...and many other games), Neville wouldn't shut up about it. He would've been "Look at him going for the Hollywood goal instead of getting it in the box for a header."

OL29

“Hates”
“Hatred”
“Agenda”

He literally referred to Pogba as Uniteds best player in the same segment, then went on to predict Pogba would be the player of the year in the league this season. Obviously you clowns missed those parts, so desperate were you to get a dig in at him.
I don’t think you can level that accusation at @Dante to be fair he’s one of the few to stick up for Neville.

Dante

Average bang
Yes, agree, but talking about it isnt what he did. He ranted on about it. Pogba missed a penalty. Ruud and Rooney missed penos for us. Even Cantona did. No need for the massive rant.
There are loads of people on the Caf who spend ages after a draw/loss ranting about the potential turning points.

The threads about Pogba's weird penalty run-ups last season were massive.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Staggers me firstly Neville, a club legend for the umpteenth time throwing the club into negativity based purely on his personal dislike of one player.

Staggers me also that the only posters on here I see agreeing with him are those who regularly slag Pogba off in every thread.

It's not really about Pogba, it's about Neville's agenda focus being completely over the top on one individual. I agree we should have one penalty taker and that it should no longer be Pogba. But say that....that's all. Selfish, treacherous wow.

It's unnecessary and shifts all the focus now from a team transforming, a solid base and players working for the team, to blaming an individual and once again personal accusations from an ex player.

Totally unnecessary

In Rainbows

If you only remember Neville's criticisms of foreign players and his praise of British players, and forget his praise of foreign players and criticisms of British players... then, yeah.
I should have qualified with United. Because it's clear he doesn't criticize the worse players as often as he does with Pogba. You can't ignore that. I mean, we're talking about a guy that criticized Pogba for his haircut of which has nothing to do with his performance or focus on the pitch, and despite the fact that Pogba had that same haircut for a week or so with France. How can you not say that's an agenda? It's ridiculous to criticize someone over their haircut.

It was the same last season with Mourinho and Pogba right before Newcastle. Nevermind that Pogba had been our best player to the start of the season.

Dante

Average bang
I don’t think you can level that accusation at @Dante to be fair he’s one of the few to stick up for Neville.
I'll stick up for the middle ground.

Whether Neville was right or wrong, his POV is valid. I'm defending him against character assassination.

Anustart89

Whether Neville was right or wrong, his POV is valid. I'm defending him against character assassination.
Funny you should use that particular phrase considering his use of 'treachery' :lol:

Dante

Average bang
I should have qualified with United. Because it's clear he doesn't criticize the worse players as often as he does with Pogba. You can't ignore that. I mean, we're talking about a guy that criticized Pogba for his haircut of which has nothing to do with his performance or focus on the pitch, and despite the fact that Pogba had that same haircut for a week or so with France. How can you not say that's an agenda? It's ridiculous to criticize someone over their haircut.

It was the same last season with Mourinho and Pogba right before Newcastle. Nevermind that Pogba had been our best player to the start of the season.
He criticised Lingard for his Instagram. He wouldn't do that for Mata.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There are loads of people on the Caf who spend ages after a draw/loss ranting about the potential turning points.

The threads about Pogba's weird penalty run-ups last season were massive.
The difference is that we are certified nobodies, we can't really create a negative environment around the club, we can only create our own misery. Neville basically created a mess, we will most likely have even more "stories" about Pogba leaving or how toxic he is and nonsense like that. From a professional standpoint it's a job well done but from the club and the players perspective it's a shitty situation based on a non-event.

UncleBob

And Neville thinks that dynamic is wrong. How difficult is that to grasp?
There's often a debate on the pitch about who takes the penalty, no matter if there's a clear first choice or not, either the designated penalty taker maintains that he'll take it or he'll give it away to someone else depending on form/feeling. In this case there wasn't an argument, there wasn't anyone trying to force the ball out of someone elses hands, Pogba and Rashford had a quick chat and that was it, no issue what-so-fecking-ever. It's miles away from as bad as Mahrez vs Liverpool.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don’t think he dislikes Pogba at all. He’s just a very frustrating player at times and he has a tendency to knee jerk with his opinions like any other fan. When he’d calmed down he was talking about how good Pogba is and how good he thinks he could be. That’s clear as day.
Neville is the worst person to have as a pundit. We see it on commentary, he gets too emotionally involved to be able to think straight. He needs to realise that the media are waiting for any sort of opinion to spin negatively against either the club or Pogba. It's easy money. Even if he does have an agenda against Pogba, Ole is supposed to be his mate isn't he? He doesn't need all this rubbish.

He might regret it this next week when he realises he played a major part in a whole bunch of negative press for the club.

After all, isn't he supposed to love the club?

OL29

I wasn’t having a pop, was just saying that I think he mis-interpreted you.

Dante

Average bang
The difference is that we are certified nobodies, we can't really create a negative environment around the club, we can only create our own misery. Neville basically created a mess, we will most likely have even more "stories" about Pogba leaving or how toxic he is and nonsense like that. From a professional standpoint it's a job well done but from the club and the players perspective it's a shitty situation based on a non-event.
Twitter narratives have a bigger impact than any pundit.

And those narratives start on places like this.

JPRouve

Scout
Twitter narratives have a bigger impact than any pundit.

And those narratives start on places like this.
The caf isn't twitter, unless someone lied to me.

In Rainbows

He criticised Lingard for his Instagram. He wouldn't do that for Mata.
Oh man, he finally did it. The one time where Lingard and his friends were simulating humping a person compared to Mata who just writes about the match and how beautiful the scenery was on holiday.

Berbaclass

Then it’s on the media for also just ignoring Neville when he praised Pogba.

Dante

Average bang
There's often a debate on the pitch about who takes the penalty, no matter if there's a clear first choice or not, either the designated penalty taker maintains that he'll take it or he'll give it away to someone else depending on form/feeling. In this case there wasn't an argument, there wasn't anyone trying to force the ball out of someone elses hands, Pogba and Rashford had a quick chat and that was it, no issue what-so-fecking-ever. It's miles away from as bad as Mahrez vs Liverpool.
That's effectively what Neville said.

Berbaclass

Neville is the worst person to have as a pundit. We see it on commentary, he gets too emotionally involved to be able to think straight. He needs to realise that the media are waiting for any sort of opinion to spin negatively against either the club or Pogba. It's easy money. Even if he does have an agenda against Pogba, Ole is supposed to be his mate isn't he? He doesn't need all this rubbish.

He might regret it this next week when he realises he played a major part in a whole bunch of negative press for the club.

After all, isn't he supposed to love the club?
The media will try to spin things regardless of what Gary Neville says.

Dante

Average bang
Oh man, he finally did it. The one time where Lingard and his friends were simulating humping a person compared to Mata who just writes about the match and how beautiful the scenery was on holiday.
Neville's agenda against British players like Lingard is obvious. He's been doing it for years.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The media doesn't work like that....
The media will try to spin things regardless of what Gary Neville says.
He sure as hell gave them a helping hand. How can the media create all this nonsense from a single penalty miss? Now it will be inner turmoil, Ole not taking control, Pogba to Real. etc.

He really outdid himself this time.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not disputing that since he is part of the media, his rant is for the media who is part of the audience. And his collegues will use it to create a mess. And by the way Luckhurst is doing the same thing on twitter right now.

Anustart89

His exact words were: "It's treachery taking a penalty off your teammate".

Then he says that Pogba didn't do that.
And then he goes off on a rant about how Rashford should've taken it or something to that effect.

It's a bit like all of Trump's "I'm not saying it's... but...". Now the words Pogba, pen and treachery are out there and it just breeds more negativity.

Emzreus

Wow. Neville, Neville, Neville. So if after their "chat", pogba decided to let rashford take the pen and he still missed, would he come out with these statements?? I'm shocked.

Berbaclass

The media doesn't work like that....

He sure as hell gave them a helping hand. How can the media create all this nonsense from a single penalty miss? Now it will be inner turmoil, Ole not taking control, Pogba to Real. etc.

He really outdid himself this time.
Well no, not really. Who said Pogba wants out? Ole/Rashford quickly explained what happened. It’s a nothing story. Neville knee jerked at first then calmed down once he realised there was not really anything to it. He then went on to praise Pogba.

Also are you suggesting the media don’t just totally make shit up? No, they never do that do they....

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Staggers me firstly Neville, a club legend for the umpteenth time throwing the club into negativity based purely on his personal dislike of one player.

Staggers me also that the only posters on here I see agreeing with him are those who regularly slag Pogba off in every thread.

It's not really about Pogba, it's about Neville's agenda focus being completely over the top on one individual. I agree we should have one penalty taker and that it should no longer be Pogba. But say that....that's all. Selfish, treacherous wow.

It's unnecessary and shifts all the focus now from a team transforming, a solid base and players working for the team, to blaming an individual and once again personal accusations from an ex player.

Totally unnecessary
Completely right. Pogba to Real put to bed. New season, exciting core with young talented players at the heart of it. All optimism and positivity.

Here comes Neville to completely erase all of that and shift the media focus back on negativity at the club. Here comes, fabricated inner turmoil involving the players, Ole not taking charge, Pogba to Real again... It's out of order and frankly strange for Neville to create this toxic atmosphere surrounding the club.

UncleBob

So who takes it when both are on the pitch? Whoever feels like it? Whoever is feeling good at that particular moment? What if both feel good? Is it then whoever provided the assist? Whoever got fouled? Whoever picks up the ball first?

There should be a single penalty taker so that they’re mentally ready when that penalty is awarded to step up and take responsibility, not to dither about deciding who should take it. Lacks professional efficiency, surely.
Considering it led to feck all of an argument, just two players chatting and agreeing, I fail to see how it's supposedly a massive problem. It sure as hell wasn't a problem when they agreed that Rashford would take it against Chelsea last weekend, so why is the same scenario such a problem now ?

Dante

Average bang
And then he goes off on a rant about how Rashford should've taken it or something to that effect.

It's a bit like all of Trump's "I'm not saying it's... but...". Now the words Pogba, pen and treachery are out there and it just breeds more negativity.
Watch the clip again.

Neville goes to great lengths to show that Pogba didn't take the penalty off Rashford. and therefore proves his own claim about it not being treachery.

That's nothing like Trump. Try looking at the situation without any bias for or against Pogba/Neville/Rashford.

Berbaclass

Completely right. Pogba to Real put to bed. New season, exciting core with young talented players at the heart of it. All optimism and positivity.

Here comes Neville to completely erase all of that and shift the media focus back on negativity at the club. Here comes, fabricated inner turmoil involving the players, Ole not taking charge, Pogba to Real again... It's out of order and frankly strange for Neville to create this toxic atmosphere surrounding the club.
Sorry, but that’s just bollocks.

I don’t think any of those things are remotely true and I don’t think Neville suggested any of them were either.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Well no, not really. Who said Pogba wants out? Ole/Rashford quickly explained what happened. It’s a nothing story. Neville knee jerked at first then calmed down once he realised there was not really anything to it. He then went on to praise Pogba.

Also are you suggesting the media don’t just totally make shit up? No, they never do that do they....
I am giving you an example of the stories they will run. The problem is why is Neville on air feeding into the sensationalist rubbish the media tries to create? It doesn't matter if he realised himself afterwards and tried to clarify himself, it's too late when they have already got the quotes.

It's all negativity the club doesn't need. Least of all from someone who supposedly loves the club.

He should seriously reconsider commentating on United if can't keep his emotions in check on air.

Jimmy_Bond

I've just watched Neville's comments and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Bet what he said wasn't half as bad as what was being said in the living rooms of the majority of people in here.

He's paid to give his opinion. Don't see that he crossed any line, he's just saying that he doesn't like confusion over who will take penalties and players having conversations beforehand. That's his opinion, and many would agree.

Once again this place is ruined by hysteria by people who have a bee in their bonnet constantly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've just watched Neville's comments and I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Bet what he said wasn't half as bad as what was being said in the living rooms of the majority of people in here.

He's paid to give his opinion. Don't see that he crossed any line, he's just saying that he doesn't like confusion over who will take penalties and players having conversations beforehand. That's his opinion, and many would agree.

Once again this place is ruined by hysteria by people who have a bee in their bonnet constantly.
It was the manner. Didn’t say anything about the game and went on a steaming rampage saying pogba this pogba that what a disgrace etc.

They had zero intention of analysing the game but wanted to make a headline out of pogba. Sad. Neville really is a sky man now.