Gary Neville

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
That's not the way I interpreted it. I've never heard him say Anthony could be as good as Mahrez, more that he should model his game on him, mainly to mix his game up more to go on to his right side the way he does
Agreed, not sure why everyone is overreacting to the comment. He even stated that he doesn't think Antony can be as good as Mahrez, just maybe he can watch him and model him. Tbf though, I saw the podcast not initial comment which everyone reacted to. Here's the one I watched:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not often I disagree with Gary Neville in fairness, personally I’d be happy if he had a big stake in the club. From a business prospective he’s done very well in life. Lives and breaths United and only has the clubs interest at heart.
He had a huge stake at Valencia, went pretty well

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Don't want to get into a debate with you about a top 5 tbh but the fact that you've had to include players that have played the majority of their time in the prem on the left kinda proves my point that it was a howler of a comparison. You should've included Hazard though if you included Lws.
Hazard was always just a left winger. Bale, Mane and Sterling spent a fair amount of their careers on the right wing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Add Robben and Kanchelskis for the right ahead of Mahrez
I didn't add Robben as iirc he only played on the left for Chelsea.

Kanchelskis I am not sure was actually better than Mahrez.

the_cliff

Hazard was always just a left winger. Bale, Mane and Sterling spent a fair amount of their careers on the right wing.
Sadio Mane only played 16/17 as a right winger, all other seasons he was played predominantly as a lw. The only season Bale played as a right winger was his second stint at Spurs in 20/21. He has 17 total appearances in the premier league as a right winger. Sterling has the equivalent of 3 full seasons as a right winger in his whole career.

If you think that's enough to be considered above Mahrez overall as a right winger in the premier league that's your opinion and fair do's (I can kinda see it with Sterling). Personally I don't see it with Mane and especially Bale. Rooney has more apps at Attacking Mid than Bale/Mane have at right wing for example and he's never considered as an attacking mid neither is Giggs in Central Midfield etc..

Pughnichi

I didn't add Robben as iirc he only played on the left for Chelsea.

Kanchelskis I am not sure was actually better than Mahrez.
Thought Robben was right sided at Chelsea. With duff on the left.

Kanchelskis was mega. Bias with him being my fav player but he was rapid, strong, finish with both feet, technically sound. Somewhat restricted…playing 442 in 90s. If he was part of a front 3 in the modern football age, he’d be unreal

keithsingleton

He had a huge stake at Valencia, went pretty well
Have you never made a mistake/s in your life? I’ve never met a person who hasn’t. For me he’d be a great addition as an owner. Obviously opinions differ but we’re all entitled to give them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This dweeb saying what a bad time it was to announce the INEOS thing was funny. Nice 9 day break between games, new year, new start, that meeting that people seem to be positive about, Jan window opening...when else should they have announced it I wonder.

Revaulx

This dweeb saying what a bad time it was to announce the INEOS thing was funny. Nice 9 day break between games, new year, new start, that meeting that people seem to be positive about, Jan window opening...when else should they have announced it I wonder.
I’d have thought they announced it as soon as they were able to. If they had held it back for “PR” reasons* it would almost certainly have been leaked.

* and what would have been the point, other than to forestall criticism from GNev? When does he think would have been the right time?

I still really like him, and thought he came across well on the Beckham mini-series. But there’s no doubt he talks a lot of shite.

Withnail

I missed that. Why was he saying it was bad timing?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
:lol:

Yeah but what was his rationale?

EDIT: I had a look. He didn't even say why he just threw it out there like everyone would agree.

Only thing I can think of was that it was on a Sunday on Christmas Eve so much of the media could not really scrutinise it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Most likely NOT from United welfare POV, because for us, the sooner the better and preferably for INEOS to have more time to decide about this January window.

ShinjiNinja26

He’s the fecking worst when it comes to commentating on Utd games. Such a negative bastard all the time. You’d think we were losing this game if you were only listening to him droning on.

Rockets Redglare

He’s the fecking worst when it comes to commentating on Utd games. Such a negative bastard all the time. You’d think we were losing this game if you were only listening to him droning on.
It’s like he’s reading out a transcript from the match day thread.

Sylar

I like how he tried to take away the one two between hoijlund and rashford and it took him a few replays to realise it was a good connection between the two and his first thought was it was lucky

RomfordRed75

All season Arsenal were winning the league, then it's Liverpool, then City, now Spurs will finish 2nd or 3rd. Contradiction after contradiction.
When Jamie Redknapp is talking more sense than you thats really saying something

ShinjiNinja26

He was constantly banging on about the injuries to the Spurs team yet we’ve been absolutely decimated by injuries all season even worse than Spurs and you barely hear a peep out of any of them about it. It’s always “they’ve spent x amount on the squad so should be able to cope”, “just get on with it” etc… the double standards are an absolute joke.

Tyrion

He's now claiming Spurs when they get their players back can be better than Arsenal and Pool.
Last year they had Kane and were practically midtable. I think most commentators get their minds wiped every summer because I think he's basing that on the start of the season.

The Hilton

He's now claiming Spurs when they get their players back can be better than Arsenal and Pool.
He seems to be falling into the pundit trap of always needing an attention seeking opinion. No middle ground, only extremes.

RuudTom83

You can argue he’s not technically saying anything wrong/incorrect…but his need to discredit everything United do is a little strange.

Redstain

Commentary might be garbage but his post match assessments are usually on the money. He highlights a good point in the panel with Jamie and Roy with the performances this season being the biggest issue for United not the results. The evidence of this being more inclined to the seasons failings is due to the lack of consistency. A team that performs well and encounters poor results is usually periodic but what we have seen is a stagnation from last year February.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
At the end of the day Gary Neville is a United fan. And his commentary might be unbearably negative but it’s not even close to being as unbearably negative as most of the United fans on this website. Particularly in a match day thread. So it’s a bit rich to see his negativity being criticised by redcafe members.

Withnail

At the end of the day Gary Neville is a United fan. And his commentary might be unbearably negative but it’s not even close to being as unbearably negative as most of the United fans on this website. Particularly in a match day thread. So it’s a bit rich to see his negativity being criticised by redcafe members.
Well, strange that it needs saying but you expect a bit more from someone who's being paid to commentate on the game than from the average poster in the match day thread. To be honest I'd prefer they didn't have ex players commentating on their own team. It doesn't add anything of value imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, strange that it needs saying but you expect a bit more from someone who's being paid to commentate on the game than from the average poster in the match day thread. To be honest I'd prefer they didn't have ex players commentating on their own team. It doesn't add anything of value imo.
Oh I agree with that. I don’t like his commentary on our games just like I loathe our match-day threads on here. Just think the similarities between the two are obvious.