Gay footballers | Czech Republic international Jakub Jankto comes out as gay

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
The head ache continues. It's like new people keep coming in without reading any other previous content just to spout their backwards views.
What are you talking about or do you expect people to read all 680 posts?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
On a topic of such importance yeah I do.

Or at the very least look back one page where you have the answers straight away.
I did look back but you still haven't said what you are talking about.

It is an important issue but you haven't made your view clear. You commented directly after my post without referring to any other posts.

When I saw the topic come up I thought about ways the LGBT community could be welcomed more into football. I thought a charity match with LGBT only players would be a good idea. Maybe this would encourage other players to come out.

Maybe not.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The idea that if someone grows up in a household which has backwards views doesn’t mean that we should absolve them like @Jacob implied. People have the capacity to change their views.
Couldn’t agree more, my grandfather thought homosexuality was a disease, told me if I ever befriended or got together with a Japanese person, he would disown me and far worse. I loved him to bits but from a very young age knew he was spouting utter bollocks when he spoke a bout those things!

mancan92

I did look back but you still haven't said what you are talking about.

It is an important issue but you haven't made your view clear. You commented directly after my post without referring to any other posts.

When I saw the topic come up I thought about ways the LGBT community could be welcomed more into football. I thought a charity match with LGBT only players would be a good idea. Maybe this would encourage other players to come out.

Maybe not.
Not referring to you mate. Just another poster above you making the same point about not caring if someone is gay or not so they don't need to tell anyone etc.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
So, not caring is a backwards view? I thought that was the main goal
This thread is becoming ridiculous.

So many people these days compete to see how easily offended they can become.

For a start "caring" is obviously the wrong word. Not discriminating would be a more appropriate choice of words.

Secondly Mancan obviously does care.

Nick7

So, not caring is a backwards view? I thought that was the main goal
It's been mentioned a number of times through the thread. A lot of people (not all) who say "I don't care" actually have the view of "I don't really like it but if they stay private it's ok" essentially it can be a way to say "stay in the closet please". That's not good.

For a start "caring" is obviously the wrong word. Not discriminating would be a more appropriate choice of words.

Please don't start that stuff.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It's been mentioned a number of times through the thread. A lot of people (not all) who say "I don't care" actually have the view of "I don't really like it but if they stay private it's ok" essentially it can be a way to say "stay in the closet please". That's not good.

Please don't start that stuff.
Why? Have I offended you?

mancan92

Yes there's a big distinction between the 2 words. Which has been reiterated over and over. Every person that has come in and said " I don't care" has followed up by saying as long as I don't seem them. Which means you obviously do care.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Would a televised LGBT pro-celebrity match at Wembley be successful?

Pagh Wraith

Wasn't that criticising the people in here claiming to "not care" and then being offended when someone calls them out?

Anyway, this thread has probably run its course.

Nick7

Wasn't that criticising the people in here claiming to "not care" and then being offended when someone calls them out?
Sure, but that whole "offense" thing rubs me the wrong way. Next thing we know the conversation is about how "easily people are offended"

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Ehm, I think he's on your side. Making the same point. Unless I'm misreading it, hard to follow the discussion at times.
But I could be baiting for something. To be honest I was just bringing a bit humour to a painfull
I'm specifically talking about

and

They aren't conducive to discussion.
I think we're in danger of over analysing the dialogue and losing site of the subject.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal

It may be because english isn't my main language but i dont discriminate because i don't care of someones religion, colour, nationality or whatever.

Here we go again
We can go has many times has you want. I think you are doing a great job with your attitude and the snarky remarks but, to be fair, it just makes you sound worst and full of yourself.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This is quite the thread! I’m from Ireland and we’re quite progressive in terms of equality - which is amazing given the hold the Catholic Church had here.
Our Taoiseach(Prime Minister) is gay. We have male sports stars as TV pundits who are openly gay and nobody cares.

What I find most fascinating is the “culture” of the UK that is the breeding ground for this. Football is just a reflection of a section, or sections, of society. Ireland and UK are only a sea channel apart but seems like centuries in attitudes/outlook.

How did such a toxic, unaccepting culture become so pervasive can anyone tell me?
Easy tiger, we have plenty of Neanderthals in Ireland too and I can’t think of too many gay sportsmen currently active.

One GAA star came out after his career was over having suffered incredible terrace abuse over the years. I expected more to follow his lead but it’s still taboo.

On this thread, how is that post by Strachans Cigar (I refuse to quote it) still visible? It is basic hate-speech and should be deleted. C’mon mods either delete it (and ban him) or explain why not.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Easy tiger, we have plenty of Neanderthals in Ireland too and I can’t think of too many gay sportsmen currently active.

One GAA star came out after his career was over having suffered incredible terrace abuse over the years. I expected more to follow his lead but it’s still taboo.

On this thread, how is that post by Strachans Cigar (I refuse to quote it) still visible? It is basic hate-speech and should be deleted. C’mon mods either delete it (and ban him) or explain why not.
They appear to have given a warning of inappropriate content. I would be happy for it to be removed but it is useful to see there are still some real bigots in circulation. I've seen worse.

I don't know how this forum works? Can Strachan post after a warning? He hasn't responded since and it might be interesting to see how he reacts to a tirade of reasonable argument and it may even make him rethink his views.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think he lost it once he mentioned monkeys in gas masks.

evil_geko

It's a bad post but is it really hate?
It was pretty bad post aye, but yeah, it wasn't hate, like some post above said truthfully, this thread is all about how easily people get offended.

My first and last post in this trainwreck of a thread.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
It's a bad post but is it really hate?
He appears to be using the behaviour of animals to justifying his own beliefs. I can't bring myself to read the whole thing again but it's an attempt to justify hate speech.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
He appears to be using the behaviour of animals to justifying his own beliefs. I can't bring myself to read the whole thing again but it's an attempt to justify hate speech.
Maybe my definition is wrong but isnt hate speech when you incite hate or violent acts?

Tarrou

It was pretty bad post aye, but yeah, it wasn't hate, like some post above said truthfully, this thread is all about how easily people get offended.

My first and last post in this trainwreck of a thread.
people getting offended is your main takeaway from this thread and not all the homophobia?

jem

It's pretty straightforward, and here is a personal example to illustrate: on Saturday night, I went on a date with a lovely woman, and after finishing our drinks, we went for a walk outside. During said walk, we turned to face each other and kissed for about 10 seconds (all very lovely and romantic!) If that happened to be a man I was kissing, then there would be a good chance of getting heckled by some random passerby (or in some countries, something much more sinister.) That says it all really, and I think by coming out, people are not shoving anything down anyone's throats; rather they are looking for the freedom to live in a similarly open manner, without the fear of harassment and/or violence. I don't know why that is so hard for anyone to understand.

westmeath

Maybe my definition is wrong but isnt hate speech when you incite hate or violent acts?
I think when he compared his fellow human beings with animals, he was definitely engaging in hate speech. There can’t really be any doubt about that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Strachan's Nonsense said:
Animals? Don’t generally see Monkeys teabagging each other with gas masks & gimp suits on do we down Chester Zoo?
This is because animals don't conceptualize as we do. It's why there's no monkey Mozart or monkey Marquis de Sade.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
I think when he compared his fellow human beings with animals, he was definitely engaging in hate speech. There can’t really be any doubt about that.
Comparing to animals isn't hate speech. first of all, we are animals. Second of all, theres lots of normal comparitions beetween humans and animal, i think its even called zoomorphism.

Like i said earlier, it was a dumb post but i dont see it has hate

westmeath

Comparing to animals isn't hate speech. first of all, we are animals. Second of all, theres lots of normal comparitions beetween humans and animal, i think its even called zoomorphism.

Like i said earlier, it was a dumb post but i dont see it has hate
So how do you feel when you hear racist ape noises coming from football crowds? Or is that OK because “we are animals”?

I’m out of this thread, I can’t believe what I’ve read. Football is a hostile place for young gay men and that doesn’t look likely to change any time soon.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
So how do you feel when you hear racist ape noises coming from football crowds? Or is that OK because “we are animals”?

I’m out of this thread, I can’t believe what I’ve read. Football is a hostile place for young gay men and that doesn’t look likely to change any time soon.
that doesnt have anything to do with what was said on that bad post. The problem with those chants isn't comparing humans to animals, it's comparing human to animals with a bad intent

DiceRoller

I'm not convinced it's as pervasive as you suggest. The UK also has gay sports pundits. Clare Balding, Gareth Thomas, Martina Navratilova, John Curry, Mark Foster, Tom Daly etc and I don't see anybody getting too upset.
None of those people play football or are associated with it. My call out is that football as a whole has never had a top level openly gay player. There’s solid reasons for that: hatred, abuse, intolerance.

I would say it’s quite pervasive when people are that hesitant in a sport to do so.

RedCurry

This is because animals don't conceptualize as we do. It's why there's no monkey Mozart or monkey Marquis de Sade.
Apart from the fact that there are monkeys out there who totally teabag each other. The dude is talking about "nature" and then brings up chester zoo as if zoo's are completely natural ecosystems. But even if we were trying to compare humans to animals his point doesn't stand any scrutiny.

People need to first chill out, then educate themselves, stop trying to compare ourselves with primitive species. Open up your mind a little, it's so rewarding.

DiceRoller

Curious as to how it’s hate speech and not free speech? But if he’s violating the site terms then it should be taken down, I would be firm on that.

For me, the line with hate speech is a call to action.

e.g. “I’m of X religion and I believe all (insert type) are going to Hell and if you see one, punch one”

vs.

“I’m of X religion and I believe all (insert type) are going to Hell”

The latter is an opinion and free speech, no?

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Quite a few posters on this thread seem to be very happy to dig deeper and deeper holes for themselves.