Gay footballers | Czech Republic international Jakub Jankto comes out as gay

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
My teenage daughter recently told me she was gay, so now more than ever the thought of someone having to hide a large part of their life/identity because of the views of some knuckle dragging repressed backward ass fecks really presses my buttons. The look of relief on her face when she told me and I said I was proud of her for having the courage to tell me, and that she should always be proud of herself and who she is almost broke my heart, the thought that she thought the reaction would be anything other than loving acceptance of who she is in this day and age is so sad. No one can help who they love or are attracted to, hopefully this stops being an issue one day

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Britain is ready for it and despite some inevitable incidents and the gutter press dog whistling reports of any gay players lifestyle, they would quickly bore of it and it will become normal.

More conservative (regressive) countries who represent serious financial partners for the FA and individual clubs are the main obstacle.
I highly doubt that Britain is ready. Well at least I know I wouldn’t come out if I were playing there.

Fts 74

My teenage daughter recently told me she was gay, so now more than ever the thought of someone having to hide a large part of their life/identity because of the views of some knuckle dragging repressed backward ass fecks really presses my buttons. The look of relief on her face when she told me and I said I was proud of her for having the courage to tell me, and that she should always be proud of herself and who she is almost broke my heart, the thought that she thought the reaction would be anything other than loving acceptance of who she is in this day and age is so sad. No one can help who they love or are attracted to, hopefully this stops being an issue one day
Fantastic post.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
You should read the comments on the PL or United's facebook page during pride.
Yeah, same with the Liverpool one during pride. The comments are horrific. It’s easy for us to take the largely rational and progressive thinking we see on forums as commonplace. But unfortunately that’s really not the case, and you can apply that to other issues I.e Brexit/Trump.

People underestimate that there’s a tonne of shitty people on this planet.

I was recently chastised by an aunt of mine who’s in her late 20s for wearing an LGBT bracelet.

youmeletsfly

You have a strong daughter, props to her.

Dunno how's on your end, but on mine there aren't many negative views about gay girls, it's mostly down to gay men. If you're a man and gay in Romania you're quite fecked.
I can't say I'm comfortable around gay men but I certainly have nothing against them and as well hope shit is going to change. It's not like it's a fecking new trend. It's been around us for thousands of years.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Unfortunately the country is not ready for it. Because the minority will undoubtedly make themselves louder than all the support a player would receive, and the abuse would be horrible for them.

Some people are just vile and they're only being emboldened by recent political climates around the world.

Even if you personally are accepting and empathetic, England as a whole is not really a progressive country and we have a huge problem with racism and homophobia still. Same with social media.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Dunno how's on your end, but on mine there aren't many negative views about gay girls, it's mostly down to gay men. If you're a man and gay in Romania you're quite fecked.
I can't say I'm comfortable around gay men but I certainly have nothing against them and as well hope shit is going to change. It's not like it's a fecking new trend. It's been around us for thousands of years.
Yeah shes pretty awesome to be fair :) I can honestly say gay men dont make me uncomfortable, Ive always just viewed the whole thing as some blokes prefer blondes, some brunettes and some prefer other blokes.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Unfortunately the country is not ready for it. Because the minority will undoubtedly make themselves louder than all the support a player would receive, and the abuse would be horrible for them.

Some people are just vile and they're only being emboldened by recent political climates around the world.

Even if you personally are accepting and empathetic, England as a whole is not really a progressive country and we have a huge problem with racism and homophobia still. Same with social media.
Sadly I cant argue with you. Its one of the reasons Id love to leave, but dont know where to go.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
It’s easy for us to take the largely rational and progressive thinking we see on forums as commonplace.
Oh i'm sure there are many on here who are holding back their opinions about gay people.
So many here from very religious parts of the world, on the facebook pages, most of the hatred came from people with African or Middle Eastern names and looks.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think we will see more openly gay players and soon.

Society is just ready for it, there is no stigma anymore and honestly I don't think that 99% of people give one damn what folks do in their own time.

Any homophobic chants or comments from the crowds (when we have them again!) should equal a life time ban, with a fine and community service thrown in.

I wouldn't expect much opposition from clubs if the above or something similar was mandated league wide.
There are already quite a few in the women's game

Hansa

There are already quite a few in the women's game
Stumbled upon a Twitter thread during the last women's World Cup that named about 50 of them, i.e. at least two in each team. However, I'm fairly certain the actual number for men are nowhere near the same, which makes it a very lonely journey for those that actually are gay.

There is no indication that the authorities would provide a proper response to protect gay and bi footballers.

If gay and bi players felt that the authorities would stamp down on homophobic abuse properly it would encourage people to come out. But we all know the FA, Uefa, and Fifa will say nice statements then do feck all about it just like they don't do shit about racism.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Kudos to your daughter and to you.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Why don’t you feel comfortable around gay men?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've previously felt we need a superstar player to come out as gay. I do believe younger generations are a lot more accepting of gay people so moving forward we will eventually reach that point in which a gay player can be open about their sexuality and not face abuse from these cave men types. I have a lot of sympathy for any current and past gay players, must be so tough.

youmeletsfly

Why don’t you feel comfortable around gay men?
Dunno, it's just a feeling, a reflex most likely, nothing out of the ordinary to be honest.
I suppose it's the lack of interaction.

Other than that, I'm alright, they are normal people like the rest of us.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In the Women's game, a player just came out as transgender

Foxbatt

what is wrong with that? It is their life and everyone should respect it. A transgender Samoan has played for their national team.

royce987

All the people here pretending to be appalled by homophobia, but homophobic slurs are regularly directed towards Chelsea FC on this forum, and no one cares. In recent years gay football fans have had to speak out about the use of rent boys

form the proud lilly whites blog

We were very disappointed to hear the “Chelsea Rent Boy” chant sung again on Saturday.

Whilst we are certain that 99% of supporters do not sing this with any intent to cause offence to our LGBT supporters, we must consider the impact. The term has been used over many years to victimise young homosexual men and it is disappointing to hear this chanted persistently at the Lane.

Let’s not kid ourselves that the ‘rent boy’ chant is somehow not homophobic. The dictionary is quite clear and as with the old, tired racist chants and noises that are thankfully a thing of the past, it’s implied to be insulting.

The term ‘rent boy’ makes the point that certain people aren’t welcome in our beautiful game. We know from our great work with the Club that they are completely supportive of the Proud Lilywhites and are committed to ensuring our stadium is a safe and inclusive environment for all supporters to come and watch the team and do not tolerate any form of discriminatory behaviour.

Reactions: esmufc07

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Now wouldn't be a bad time to do it, given a lack of supporters in the stand. Social media would obviously remain a big problem but at least the players themselves can choose to be oblivious to that.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't think we are too far off it being an accepted thing. The main problem some have with it is that a gay footballer will share a locker room, with other member of the gender he is sexually attracted to, so it immediately puts some on edge that they may be a focus of sexual attention, stupidly or not. It's a delicate balance in a locker rooms, not to mention how football is such a diverse sport culturally and some cultures are a bit more accepting of homosexuals while others aren't.

I personally don't think it should be as much of an issue, I remember we had a NFL player who got drafted and was openly gay, the first time that happened, but he quickly disappeared. We also had a NBA player who came out as gay his last year playing so he was an openly gay athlete in the NBA but by next season he was retired.

I'm surprised it's still such an uncommon thing in 2020 but I can understand it.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think we are too far off it being an accepted thing. The main problem some have with it is that a gay footballer will share a locker room, with other member of the gender he is sexually attracted to, so it immediately puts some on edge that they may be a focus of sexual attention, stupidly or not. It's a delicate balance in a locker rooms, not to mention how football is such a diverse sport culturally and some cultures are a bit more accepting of homosexuals while others aren't.

I personally don't think it should be as much of an issue, I remember we had a NFL player who got drafted and was openly gay, the first time that happened, but he quickly disappeared. We also had a NBA player who came out as gay his last year playing so he was an openly gay athlete in the NBA but by next season he was retired.

I'm surprised it's still such an uncommon thing in 2020 but I can understand it.
It becomes a source of abuse online and from opposite fans initially, but it would die down I think as more came out. Then tension in the locker room might be more of a problem, but don't think it would be a massive problem and most gay men would be accepted.
As long as people would stand up against the abuse then it would die down,, but we see racism still being a problem although much less than in the past.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

It's strange then that we feel comfortable with a male manager for a female team, yet many don't feel comfortable with the thought of a gay footballer in the Changing room,

Society is moving on, but alas it will take another generation for football to move on.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's strange then that we feel comfortable with a male manager for a female team, yet many don't feel comfortable with the thought of a gay footballer in the Changing room,

Society is moving on, but alas it will take another generation for football to move on.
I’d feel very uncomfortable if the male manager was showering with his female team.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Don’t care about anyone’s sexuality and I’m not sure why humans have such a strange fascination around this.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I’d feel very uncomfortable if the male manager was showering with his female team.
:lol: :lol:
That there is true.

But seriously, men seem to have this thought that every gay guy is attracted to them, when it's really not like that at all.

Paul_Scholes18

Don’t care about anyone’s sexuality and I’m not sure why humans have such a strange fascination around this.
Well it is certainly interesting though. Although should not be a source of abuse the same way as race, nationality etc should not be.
I think football fans are pretty open though at least online. Abuse mainly comes from poor performances (football reasons) although that should not be a source of abuse either.
Still I think if someone like Lingard came out as gay he would get even more stick here.

passing-wind

I think the most crucial factor is how it would effect the players / changing rooms etc. Football is such a diverse sport with many players being influenced by religions and other ideologies that are identified culturally from their backgrounds and other instances. It's a sophisticated issue to how you take those considerations and interchange them with the values of what "tradition" signifies which has been earmarked since the infancy of the sport.

I think a gay footballer is right to communicate and not hide but I certainly don't think in such a male dominative sport the conclusion from such a decision would be positive.

So many straight guys are pathetically insecure. If a straight footballer can't cope being in the same changing room as a gay man then they need to grow up and educate themselves.

In every gym in the world gym gay and straight men share locker rooms and shower areas. It's not an issue.

Also why do homophobes think gaymen are attracted to and want to shag every other man they see

arnie_ni

Just on the nfl player, he disappeared because he was shite, not because he's gay for anyone not knowing the situation

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Big love for that post.

All the best to you all.

arnie_ni

:lol: :lol:
That there is true.

But seriously, men seem to have this thought that every gay guy is attracted to them, when it's really not like that at all.
Im not sure I'll put this in to words correct, but women just dont want to constantly see men naked and their dicks etc, so in a changing room scenario when everyone is naked, i sort of just assumed it would be, im not sure what the word is, but uncomfortable? For a gay man in that situation, rather than the other guys.

Like an unwanted dick pick