GBP Taking a hammering

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
The pound against the dollar is taking a hammering for the last two days. Started at 1.6308 two days ago is now down to 1.61057. Whats going on?

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Basically Bob:

U.K. retail sales slumped more than economists forecast, adding further weight calls for the Bank of England to keep interest rates on hold.

Or more simply, UK's economy is doing quite badly. (even when compared to that of the US)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Basically Bob:

U.K. retail sales slumped more than economists forecast, adding further weight calls for the Bank of England to keep interest rates on hold.

Or more simply, UK's economy is doing quite badly. (even when compared to that of the US)
Feck.

How d'you reckon it'll fare against the euro in the medium term?

McLovin

Feck.

How d'you reckon it'll fare against the euro in the medium term?
The longer the Greek debacle, the better it is for the GBP vs. the EUR as investors will continue to sell off euro-assets and not want to buy any.

If a concrete rescue package is offered soon though (or anything else which benefits Greece), then I expect the EUR to rise heavily again in the next 6 months (especially with the ECB planning to raise rates in the coming months while the BoE keeps its low to promote growth).

IMO, of course! (don't speculate on my advice :D)

WeasteDevil

The pound against the dollar is taking a hammering for the last two days. Started at 1.6308 two days ago is now down to 1.61057. Whats going on?
It's actually a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It would help a little if people would eat local seasonal produce - there's a start, because it might encourage more farmers to grow food instead of oilseed etc. The UK has one of the most efficient agricultural systems in the world, yet imports the vast majority of its food.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's actually a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. It would help a little if people would eat local seasonal produce - there's a start, because it might encourage more farmers to grow food instead of oilseed etc. The UK has one of the most efficient agricultural systems in the world, yet imports the vast majority of its food.
Isn't that more to do with the EEC/CAP and it's descendants?

theimperialinn

Paddy's gonna trip you up, Paddy's gonna mow you d
Basically Bob:

Retail sales haven't slumped.

April was an exceptional month because of the royal wedding and the number of bank holidays.

Don't believe the BBC spin man.

I've not caught much of the financial news this week but my guess is Greek default risk had rattled this particular cage.

McLovin

Retail sales haven't slumped.

April was an exceptional month because of the royal wedding and the number of bank holidays.

Don't believe the BBC spin man.

I've not caught much of the financial news this week but my guess is Greek default risk had rattled this particular cage.
They did fall by 1.4% though, against forecast numbers of 0.6%. Markets couldn't care less if that was due to exceptional April sales or not, the contraction level was higher than expected, and that meant a GBP sell-off as traders were not particularly reassured about any economic growth prospects in the UK.

EUR was back up on Friday after Merkel and Sarkozy said a Vienna-debt rollover solution to Greece would work.

theimperialinn

They did fall by 1.4% though, against forecast numbers of 0.6%. Markets couldn't care less if that was due to exceptional April sales or not, the contraction level was higher than expected, and that meant a GBP sell-off as traders were not particularly reassured about any economic growth prospects in the UK.

EUR was back up on Friday after Merkel and Sarkozy said a Vienna-debt rollover solution to Greece would work.
The number of weekends also plays a part.

I'd expect decent-ish growth in June with it being a five weekender.

One of the first things you learn in forecasting is smoothing out variations.

A figure alone means nothing without the relevant info to back it up.

Like when Ed Balls got excited after GDP contracted following the bad weather in Nov/Dec.

A supposed esteemed economist should have never been so opportunist with the figures.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
The UK has been an importer of food since the beginning of the 19th Century, simply put there isn't enough farmland in the country to provide for over sixty million people.

theimperialinn

Hey, Impy, what's your short/medium term forecast on the pound vs euro?
Haven't got a clue to be honest mate.

There's that much going on in the world economy at the moment that only a fool would make a prediction.

Not too sure how long the Eurozone can remain in it's current guise for.

The bankers we have spoken to don't see it lasting past 2014 if the domino effect of the bailouts continue.

That said they were speculating along with anyone else.

It's been a volatile six months that's for sure bailouts, arab spring, Japan, etc.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Haven't got a clue to be honest mate.

There's that much going on in the world economy at the moment that only a fool would make a prediction.

Not too sure how long the Eurozone can remain in it's curent guise for.

The bankers we have spoken to don't see it lasting past 2014 if the domino effect of the bailouts continue.

That said they were speculating along with anyone else.

It's been a volatile six months that's for sure bailouts, arab spring, Japan, etc.
Which is why a new regime so to speak is being introduced in 2013, we are seeing exactly why the Eurozone should never have been devised in the first place or at the least it should have been limited to North West Europe. When you create a monetary union for political purposes odds are it will go south at some point.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Where is Weaste and his views on determining the city status of settlements in the North West of England when you need him?
Don't even talk about city status. Our town was declared a city and now it's city this and city that, but no fecker asked us if that's what we wanted in the first place. We must, apparently, strive to be the 'third city of the NorthWest'. feck knows why, no one asked me if that's what I want. Still, becoming a city was a great reason to increase the 'city' boss's pay and it looks better on their cv's for when they apply somewhere else. And now I'm officially an inner-city dweller, and I haven't moved an inch. Bastards. I want to be a town again.

theimperialinn

Supply and demand.

Supply is fixed but the newly wealthy middle classes of China/India want to eat the same foods as all the wealthy Europeans/Americans. This puts prices up.
It also creates a world of opportunities.

If China is going to become the next super power they are going to have to change their social outlook on things like child labour.

As they become more westernised and economically mobile they will have some huge obstacles to overcome.

ukbob

It also creates a world of opportunities.

If China is going to become the next super power they are going to have to change their social outlook on things like child labour.

As they become more westernised and economically mobile they will have some huge obstacles to overcome.
Give it time and they will change. Japan was in the same situation years ago. When it does change then watch all the manufacturing go to yet another cheap place.

ukbob

The system I am using said to buy, mind you it said to buy the yen earlier and screwed up!. First time it has let me down, twice in a bloody day!!

McLovin

Really?

From what I'm reading, it's going to keep on tanking. No interest rate hikes any time soon (unlike the ECB) and talk of quantitive easing. Not looking good for the GBP.
Yeah I'd wager it'll keep dropping, just can't see any news out of the UK that'll likely change the BoE's stance (i.e. the economy will likely continue to struggle meaning they'll keep rates low). While the EUR will as likely go up or down depending on the Greek crisis.

Most traders on my work-floor have been been dumping the GBP and picking up other currencies all week.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, Swiss francs and Aussie dollars seem to be all the rage these days.

I'm getting screwed though. Have just sold a flat for sterling and need to buy a house in euro. Find myself in the weird situation of hoping Greece votes against the austerity measures.