Television Gen V (The Boys spinoff)

atkar83

I just had the chance to watch the first two eps at a local theatre, it was really good. Definitely will keep watching. Has the same vibes as The Boys but in a different setting

Ekeke

Yep seems like a good expansion of The Boys. Not quite as good, but some decent characters and some funny moments

acnumber9

Do the superhero’s swear and be bad? That’s the kind of edgy stuff we need to separate it from all the other superhero stuff.

Hamnat

Just watched the first 3 episodes. I like it so far. They don't completely rely on The Boys but the connection is there and works. I like that overall it adds background to why so many of the Supes are assholes and murderers. Everywhere they are pressured into being greedy and selfish because all the parents, and the publicists, media types that profit off them are fighting to one up each other to get their meal ticket ahead.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Do the superhero’s swear and be bad? That’s the kind of edgy stuff we need to separate it from all the other superhero stuff.
This ain't your Grandpa's superheroes that's for sure

Amarsdd

I wasn't expecting much from it but it is actually pretty good till now.

parkthebuslads

Like the main show, it's like it's written by and for 13 year old boys, shows far too concerned with gimmicky "shock" scenes than they really should be. Unlike the main show however, Gen V doesn't have a half decent cast to fall back on.

I'll still watch it mind.

Ekeke

Well its a show in the same world as The Boys, so yes, thats what was known about it beforehand and given the popularity I doubt it wants to be different. I'm sure they want the same success The Boys has had

Spoony

The People's President
Like the main show, it's like it's written by and for 13 year old boys, shows far too concerned with gimmicky "shock" scenes than they really should be. Unlike the main show however, Gen V doesn't have a half decent cast to fall back on.

It's watchable but clichéd stuff.

Andy_Cole

Clearly you don’t like the main show. So you’ve decided to watch the spin off? Bizarre. You have too much time on your hands.

parkthebuslads

Clearly you don’t like the main show. So you’ve decided to watch the spin off? Bizarre. You have too much time on your hands.
I like aspects of both but find some of it to be not the best. Although I disagree that it's bizarre to watch things that you only partially like, I do indeed have too much time on my hands.

ColvaleGoa

I want to know what the writers smoke when they write the episodes. No one ,who is not under any influence can write this stuff. I absolutely love it. Pushing Boundaries to the edge.

The cricket girl scene in Ep 1 is a good rival to termite scene in the Boys

mu4c_20le

Enjoying the show, but the main character is just a carbon copy of Starlight.

Hamnat

How so? They don't have similar stories at all. Starlight was a typical earnest, naive girl with fame hungry mother that threw her into the meatgrinder of "entertainment'. Starlight was always the most innocent of her cast.

Marie has a completely different backstory. Dark in a far different way than Starlight. She isn't even the most innocent one of her cast so far. Her only family doesn't want to see her after what she did.

mu4c_20le

How so? They don't have similar stories at all. Starlight was a typical earnest, naive girl with fame hungry mother that threw her into the meatgrinder of "entertainment'. Starlight was always the most innocent of her cast.

Marie has a completely different backstory. Dark in a far different way than Starlight. She isn't even the most innocent one of her cast so far. Her only family doesn't want to see her after what she did.
Her story was a little bit darker but they're both the newbies in the show with a heart of gold. Her powers seem more useful I'll give her that, but many parts felt like deja Vu especially in the first episode.

Hamnat

Her story was a little bit darker but they're both the newbies in the show with a heart of gold. Her powers seem more useful I'll give her that, but many parts felt like deja Vu especially in the first episode.
Ah I see that similarity. Starlight was the audience's introduction to this world and her experience of seeing how dark and messed up everything is under the Vaught veneer they try so hard to sell.

Marie I can see the similarity that she is the new audience vehicle to see the younger generation and the training, school etc. Even though the characters are not inherently similar the new kid on the block situation is.

Ekeke

Not at all. Starlight's parents forcing her down the superhero path is a big part of her character. Marie had the opposite... Also she is discovering about a new place that we didnt see with Starlight. The entire point of their world is that supes have great marketing so the world thinks they're great but once on the inside you see how shitty and surface level it all is. It would be simply impossible to have a show about a young person going to a supes school that doesnt have a discovery arc.

As a character shes completely different and almost the opposite other than shes still on the heroic side while a true opposite would be a villain.

MiceOnMeth

For some reason i can't find episode 4 on the high seas (to report it) but episode 5 is there :confused:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s decent. It’s The Boys at university, basically, as it set out to be, and succeeds in that way. But I think it highlights how much Homelander carries The Boys, there are just no characters in this remotely as fun and sadistic.

Ekeke

Good so far, 1 more episode. The ways theyve tied it in to The Boys during the previous episodes have been good.

Hamnat

I really enjoyed this series overall. Finale was interesting, supposed to lead directly into the Boys season 4.
Most of the main cast had solid character development. I think Andre perhaps had the least even though he had a lot of screentime. We saw most of them develop their powers and characters in new ways through the season which is a nice bonus of a younger supe cast we get to see them learning to use their powers and pushing their limits.

I criticized them for a standout villain this season. But I think in the last few episodes we kind of did see the Gen V specific villains grow into themselves.

Ekeke

So I thought episode 7 was an 8/10 really good, but I think the finale was a huge step down in quality and writing. I think episode 7 should have ended the season tbh. There was a bunch of stuff that didnt make much sense and at the very least was rushed to get to where they were going.

Still overall I'd give the whole thing 7/10 and suggest the show. But yeah was extremely unimpressed with that as a finale. Not up to the quality of episode 7 or the boys

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Binge watched it last night and tonight. Seemed shit, then seemed good, then really good. Then shit, then good, then shit. Then... I just got bored of it. I thought it was going to be CW trash, was really surprised that it wasnt. And then thats exactly what it became. Lead chick was awful. Right off the bat, just painful watching her trying to act. Everyone else, good, with some even great.

I do have to wonder who thought giving them powers based on self harm, eating disorders, and date rape among others thought that was a good idea. They can call this an 18 all they want, we know who the real target audience is considering the writing. I dont think its the best idea to make self harm look cool. But what do I know.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The finale seemed really rushed to me and the last two minutes felt like a really, really, really rushed way to try tie into a new series of The Boys. Bit meh.

Ekeke

Binge watched it last night and tonight. Seemed shit, then seemed good, then really good. Then shit, then good, then shit. Then... I just got bored of it. I thought it was going to be CW trash, was really surprised that it wasnt. And then thats exactly what it became. Lead chick was awful. Right off the bat, just painful watching her trying to act. Everyone else, good, with some even great.

I do have to wonder who thought giving them powers based on self harm, eating disorders, and date rape among others thought that was a good idea. They can call this an 18 all they want, we know who the real target audience is considering the writing. I dont think its the best idea to make self harm look cool. But what do I know.
Think its the opposite. Trying to make them seem like they have problems a lot of young people deal with to make them relatable to anyone who has been young before, despite having superpowers and that not being something that changes their happiness. Unlike the usual superhero stories other than the boys universe. I think you're supposed to think well thats a shit counterbalance to the useful powers they have rather than, yay im cool because I self harm and so does a superhero because she has blood powers etc and honestly I cant see where they make it look "cool". Its almost always ugly when they do it.

Hamnat

They showed you the dark side of using the powers. I think the finale hit it home even more when you see that both of the self harm powers have other more healthy methods to be used.

Both Marie and Emma discovered they can use their power and not hurt themselves for it.
Honestly I thought they handled social issues well here. They weren't too heavy handed like an after school special or anything dealing with a lot of different issues.

mu4c_20le

She smiles a little bit too much for someone who accidentally killed her own family. Other than that, the kid who can bend metal is worse. Although like someone said, it could be the writing and lack of character development. I cringe every time he wails about how Golden Boy was his best friend.