Genuine hard men in modern football

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Neymar imo. Dude gets kicked all game and keeps going forward.
Granted, he doesn't dive as much these days. Neymar's dive against Uruguay is one of the worst dives I've ever seen.

In regards to the OP, I think Allan from Napoli would be a brilliant acquisition for Arsenal

Last edited:

Bwuk

Jordan Henderson.

Man should be doing MMA.

A-man

Tough leader in modern Football: Ramos.

Historically there are many, but my favourite is Stefan Schwartz. He always stood up for his team and team mates. His philosophy was if you dribble him he would kill you. Most memorable moment of his amazing career was when he tore his achillis and limped off the pitch all by himself.

United never give up

Is he though...?
Yeah he is - physically he's nothing special but he still took on Big Peter Schmeichel on in a fight on our pre season tour and beat him, leaving big Pete battered with a black eye

People going on about boxers etc - they fight in their own weight categories - I'd like to see any other sportsman of Keane's size face a man as big as Schmeichel and come out on top

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
That's ace. I saw Celtic play Aberdeen a few times at Pittodrie when I lived in Aberdeen. Brown is like a panto villain up there. They hate him and he loves it. I do like seeing players who thrive in a tough atmosphere than those who buckle under it.

I was at this particular game where he did this, starts a move with a meaty two footer, scores at the other end and then celebrates infront of the home crowd amid bits of pie being launched at him.

Then he sauntered back to the halfway line right along the touchline really slowly, chest puffed out, more pie thrown at him.
:lol:

Sir Scott McToMinay

Kevin Muscat was by far the hardest player I remember seeing.
I would much rather play against Roy Keane or Gattuso than against Muscat.
I genuinly think he became a football player just to hurt people on the football pitch, and make them suffer.

Ram1fy

It's when I see threads like this, I don't feel bad for an average premier league team being run over Guardiola's tactics. I mean Barcelona proved it for ages, you don't need "hard men" to win football games. And now City is doing it in your own league. What else would you need as proof? Any good footballer is good enough a man.

SaboTaj

Wanayama and Casemiro are two who definitely come to mind as more modern hardmen. But I’m not sure about what they’d bring to the table from a leadership standpoint.

A passing mention to players like Van Bommel, Gabi and Thiago Motta who were able to carve out good careers in this role and were in my opinion really good leaders as well.

Hawks2008

Kompany? Never thought of him as a hard man

Scot Brown is a bit of a throwback. Here is him getting hacked a few days ago. Not many in the prem would've reacted like this...
Honestly I just think he looks like a knob here.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Surprised no one one mentioned Diego Godín. Pepe also comes to mind.
In Chile NT we had Gary Medel and Arturo Vidal, you can make a case for both.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's when I see threads like this, I don't feel bad for an average premier league team being run over Guardiola's tactics. I mean Barcelona proved it for ages, you don't need "hard men" to win football games. And now City is doing it in your own league. What else would you need as proof? Any good footballer is good enough a man.
Arsene Wenger and you would get along. It's not about not having hard men. It's about pep simply having the greatest players in the world in most of his teams.

BorisontheRock

:lol:

Toughest sportsman in history?!? He wouldn't last 2 rounds against a professional boxer.
Without wishing to go off topic too much, hardest person in sport contender has to be Shun Fujimoto who in the 1976 Olympics had broken his knee and continued to finish his event with a flawless rendition on the rings including dismount (on to his broken) knee. Pain aside just imagine the resilience knowing throughout your time on the rings you will have to dismount under incredible pain...

In terms of hard footballers, Jaap Stam

luke511

Although he hasn't got the hard man persona, Bailly is a fecking nutter.

luke511

Joey Barton was probably the last player to have the hard man leader personality in the prem, he just wasn't that hard :lol:

Web of Bissaka

What is genuine "hard men" kind of players?

Probably, have good strength, good balance, doesn't fall and doesn't play acting too much, could hurt you with their physique traits and someone whom players wouldn't want to mess about.

Past: Gattuso, Roy Keane, Stam...

Still playing: Zlatan, Matic, Ramos...

Alternative definition/category of same title would be a player that insist on playing with pains and injuries, or anything that held him back. eg. Captain Marvel Bryan Robson.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pep's tactic does include play-acting/diving as well.

drab.

In terms of 'hard men' in football, there's none. In terms of physicality, football has more in common with non-contact sports than it does with genuine contact / collision sports. The limited skirmishes which occur only happen in the knowledge that there's a referee at hand to split them up, and a collection of team mates there to back them up.