Geopolitics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

So, Saudi Arabia very actively participates in 9/11, gets immediate and total protection from the Bush mafia, has the US bomb and starve on its regional enemies as a direct consequence of 9/11, gets openly close to one US party while the other helps it continue its war crimes, and then refuses a US presidents' request to lower oil prices and save his dying presidency. All this with zero pushback.

Remember, there is no such thing as a permanent deep state of military+intelligence with interests that can run contrary to the democratically elected government. You would rightly get 4 pinocchios in the WaPo for suggesting that.

nickm

Yes, before they all get swallowed by the West.
“Swallowed”… That is such a stupid way of describing the attractions of the freeest, richest and most advanced countries in the world to countries broken by the communists.

Redlyn

“Swallowed”… That is such a stupid way of describing the attractions of the freeest, richest and most advanced countries in the world to countries broken by the communists.
I think it's quite irrelevant to the point. Replace it with any word you prefer.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Stactix

Yes, before they all get swallowed by the West.
Nope, they have a choice. If Moldova and Ukraine integrated further with the West, hell if Russia dropped all dictator chip on shoulder bullshit and started working for their citizens and moving closer to the West. They'd fecking thrive.
Instead Putin and his thugs are living in the past.

Carolina Red

Staff
If people can't understand why Russia would find that a red line and major security threat, they are entitled to keep their heads buried in the sand
Has there been a legitimate explanation of how NATO’s existence in Europe is a security threat to Russia? What have I missed?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think those all nations are right in seeking protection in the warm embrace of Nato. But here we are talking specifically about Ukraine which has a large land border and close cultural ties with Russia. If people can't understand why Russia would find that a red line and major security threat, they are entitled to keep their heads buried in the sand. It's not only about what Ukraine or US wants but also what Russia as a major regional power with a big ego needs. And ignoring their needs has led to war.

I was not looking for another extended debate on this as it's been done to death here and people have their set views. But I will keep sharing any videos or articles I find interesting inspite of the western influenced echo chamber.
Erm a defensive alliance is not a threat to Russia. And the western powers can lop nukes at Russia without a Ukraine border. Several countries with borders to Russia are already part of Nato and the current war demonstrates why that is a very good decision.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Has there been a legitimate explanation of how NATO’s existence in Europe is a security threat to Russia? What have I missed?
Well if they invaded a Nato country then they with have to fight the whole of Nato.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well if they invaded a Nato country then they with have to fight the whole of Nato.
Which is why Putin doesn’t want his neighbors joining NATO. Because he wants to invade them without the threat of having to deal with an all of NATO response.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not good enough of a message to send considering that Pooh (Xi) already made his bed with Putin. For Biden to stand next to Zelensky would be a perfect response to all anti-democratic forces out there. And besides, how many times did we have POTUS making an unannounced trip to Iraq or Afghanistan during an ongoing war before?
Don’t disagree, but Iraq / Afghans didn’t have the force projection capabilities that Russia has, plus there are no huge American air bases in country.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Not good enough of a message to send considering that Pooh (Xi) already made his bed with Putin. For Biden to stand next to Zelensky would be a perfect response to all anti-democratic forces out there. And besides, how many times did we have POTUS making an unannounced trip to Iraq or Afghanistan during an ongoing war before?
You talk as if the USA hasn't enforced regime change on democratically elected governments for their own interest

Sweet Square

:lol:

There is a alternative time line where Corbyn becomes PM in 2019 and me and every other momentum member is machine gunned down by MI5 agents, in a empty Wembley stadium for wanting to increase the benefits.

I‘d easily take that now, compared to what we are living through. It’s all so stupid.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
They don't, for the simple reason that there is no existential threat to Russia from NATO and the West and never has been. The only existential threat that exists is to the survival of Putin. Moreover, it's hardly geopolitically sensible to see your economy wrecked by sanctions, your brightest and best fleeing the country, and your conventional forces suffering huge losses that will take many years to replace, if indeed they ever can be.
You don't think Nato is an expansion of US power?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I just can't see any Russian leadership accepting Ukraine leaving their sphere of influence for the EU/Nato

Putin may have made huge blunders during the war but the reasons for doing so still make geopolitical strategic sense
I would disagree on both points. If Russia goes Democratic with a leader like (for example Navalny), then there’s no need to obsess over any former Soviet states. The only reason Putin is doing is because he’s an authoritarian ultranationalist. If you remove those two components you also remove predatory Russian behavior towards its neighbors.

On your second point, the war makes zero geopolitical sense for Putin when you consider that it has destabilized every Russian economic and military interest imaginable, with no meaningful military gains to show inside Ukraine.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm not sure. I guess not as otherwise you wouldn't have destroyed the country like you did
Right, so basically you don’t like the US, and therefore are inventing a scenario in LaLa Land in which NATO pre-emptively invades its only nuclear peer in the world.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Right, so basically you don’t like the US, and therefore are inventing a scenario in LaLa Land in which NATO pre-emptively invades its only nuclear peer in the world.
I don't think a Nato power would invade Russia but I can understand their concern with having a pro-America country on their door step. Considering how pro regime change the USA is

Carolina Red

Staff
I don't think a Nato power would invade Russia but I can understand their concern with having a pro-America country on their door step. Considering how pro regime change the USA is
This is what you were asked…
Let’s assume it is. Then what? In what world do you see the NATO alliance attacking Russia in an offensive war?
To which you said…
Same world where you attacked Iraq for WMDs
So which is it? Because this whole “the Russians have a legitimate reason to fear NATO” is absolute Pravda level stuff. NATO is no more an existential threat for Russia than Ukraine is.

Which, speaking of…
Ukraine is an existential threat for Russia
I’m sorry, what?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You don't think Nato is an expansion of US power?
Not primarily, no, although it certainly helps with the expansion of US power, just as any collective group amplifies the efforts of the individuals in that collective. By the same token, Estonia's power is also enhanced by being in NATO.

Primarily, NATO is a defensive alliance of (mostly) liberal democracies. This fundamental isn't changed by the fact that some parts of NATO have also engaged in offensive actions, mostly, I would argue, with good intentions if not necessarily with good results.

But this is besides the original point, namely that no-one - not even Putin - believes that NATO would ever invade a nuclear-armed Russia ... which means that NATO is not an existential threat to Russia.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
This is what you were asked…

To which you said…

So which is it? Because this whole “the Russians have a legitimate reason to fear NATO” is absolute Pravda level stuff. NATO is no more an existential threat for Russia than Ukraine is.

Which, speaking of…

I’m sorry, what?
In my opinion I think Nato could be used for aggressive wars in the future like Libya and Serbia. If I was Russian I would be wary of this fact and make sure they aren't on my door step. I think Nato is an expansion of US foreign power.

I think Russia is thinking for the long term future. I said Ukraine is an existential threat to Russia because of its proximity to their major population centres and the terrain in that area. I understand Ukraine to be mostly flat land which would be ripe for an invasion into Russia.

You might think an invasion into Russia is a laughable scenario but I think from their perspective they have been invaded twice in the last 100 years and the leadership will ensure it won't happen again.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Not primarily, no, although it certainly helps with the expansion of US power, just as any collective group amplifies the efforts of the individuals in that collective. By the same token, Estonia's power is also enhanced by being in NATO.

Primarily, NATO is a defensive alliance of (mostly) liberal democracies. This fundamental isn't changed by the fact that some parts of NATO have also engaged in offensive actions, mostly, I would argue, with good intentions if not necessarily with good results.

But this is besides the original point, namely that no-one - not even Putin - believes that NATO would ever invade a nuclear-armed Russia ... which means that NATO is not an existential threat to Russia.
A defensive alliance which sometimes engages in offensive actions

If you were a Russian leader would you not be wary of this kind of group being on your borders?

For me I see Russias stance on Ukraine similar to the Monroe Doctrine where no one is allowed to mess around on the USA's border

Carolina Red

Staff

Lemoor

In Ukraine, the Obama-Biden administration staged a coup in 2014, replacing a democratically-elected president who supported Russia with a puppet state supporting the US and Europe. Ukraine’s eight-year conflict and shelling of the separatist Donbas region has killed 14,000 people. The new government and military are run in part by Nazis and are some of the most corrupt on the continent. Like it did with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Syria, the US is funding and arming Nazis in Ukraine to fight Russia, with the enthusiastic support of the Biden administration and the Democrats. The US has also been caught running bioweapons labs in the country.
That's an impressively unhinged take on this war.