George Floyd | Chauvin guilty on all counts | Sentenced to 22.5 years

Stevondo8

Wow, just wow...
What exactly do you disagree with in my post there? If he is found not guilty on all counts, do you not think the inevitable riots will be worse than the ones that stemmed from the actual death last year? I reckon they’ll be much worse.

Tarrou

What exactly do you disagree with in my post there? If he is found not guilty on all counts, do you not think the inevitable riots will be worse than the ones that stemmed from the actual death last year? I reckon they’ll be much worse.
probably meant the bit about them being justified

I agree with that

asking nicely for change ain’t working

pablo__p

Referred to @Rado_N post. Your assessment is most likely true but justifying how things went last year as well as green lighting a new wave of riots is, in my opinion, bonkers and exactly what people banking on civil war want us the puppets to do.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Some people really are not very smart. Nobody's arguing about the right to a defence. There's a well-known phrase that says "literally getting away with murder". The issue is the legal system that enables people who are blatantly guilty to walk away unpunished. And if you're going to try and make any kind of rationlisation for Chauvin, you can kindly feck off.

Try and keep up.
I don’t think the saying includes the word literally, wouldn’t that imply you actually have killed someone and got away with it.

The saying is getting away with murder, as a figure of speech, you haven’t ‘literally’ killed someone

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don’t think the saying includes the word literally, wouldn’t that imply you actually have killed someone and got away with it.

The saying is getting away with murder, as a figure of speech, you haven’t ‘literally’ killed someone
You know what I meant. It's often preceded by the word "literally".

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Referred to @Rado_N post. Your assessment is most likely true but justifying how things went last year as well as green lighting a new wave of riots is, in my opinion, bonkers and exactly what people banking on civil war want us the puppets to do.
Black lives are considered less valuable to large swathes of America and especially “law enforcement” and the supposed justice system.

If a literal lynching doesn’t result in a murder conviction the resulting riots will be entirely understandable.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Some people really are not very smart. Nobody's arguing about the right to a defence. There's a well-known phrase that says "literally getting away with murder". The issue is the legal system that enables people who are blatantly guilty to walk away unpunished. And if you're going to try and make any kind of rationlisation for Chauvin, you can kindly feck off.

Try and keep up.
The thing is, everyone is entitled to a defense.

Those career lawyers who are very good at defense law get paid lots of money, and those who are teir two want to be paid that money, so the defendant in a high profile, highly funded case are going to get good lawyers. And that's not including very good lawyers who are white nationalists.

One of the biggest things in a murder/manslaughter case is intent, which only one person knows the truth about. Even when they've written down in their own hand, it could be a fantasy or a story or a poem.

A defense lawyer's job is to get the best outcome for their client. The tools they have for that are how they present the evidence; the technicalities of the crime, arrest and handling of evidence; and the unknown intentions and thoughts of those involved and witnessing.

These are exactly the same tools the prosecution have and, all things be equal in skill of the lawyers, the jury should have a balanced view of the incident.

Then you have to trust the jury. Which both defense and prosecution have a hand in picking.

I'm a POC who's been assaulted by the police as a youth, and I'm emotionally invested in this prick getting sent down for as long as possible, but we can't rip down all the structures in society (Judiciary, Governmental, Morality). We have to mould them to reflect the truth of us all.

This cnut is probably not going to get what he deserves, but that will add energy to the wave. What we need to do, those of us who are just laymen, is to keep the energy in the wave when we don't have seismic shocks like this trial. That's when the wave becomes a tsunami, that's the point where we have flooded the system and can really make a difference.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The thing is, everyone is entitled to a defense.

Those career lawyers who are very good at defense law get paid lots of money, and those who are teir two want to be paid that money, so the defendant in a high profile, highly funded case are going to get good lawyers. And that's not including very good lawyers who are white nationalists.

One of the biggest things in a murder/manslaughter case is intent, which only one person knows the truth about. Even when they've written down in their own hand, it could be a fantasy or a story or a poem.

A defense lawyer's job is to get the best outcome for their client. The tools they have for that are how they present the evidence; the technicalities of the crime, arrest and handling of evidence; and the unknown intentions and thoughts of those involved and witnessing.

These are exactly the same tools the prosecution have and, all things be equal in skill of the lawyers, the jury should have a balanced view of the incident.

Then you have to trust the jury. Which both defense and prosecution have a hand in picking.

I'm a POC who's been assaulted by the police as a youth, and I'm emotionally invested in this prick getting sent down for as long as possible, but we can't rip down all the structures in society (Judiciary, Governmental, Morality). We have to mould them to reflect the truth of us all.

This cnut is probably not going to get what he deserves, but that will add energy to the wave. What we need to do, those of us who are just laymen, is to keep the energy in the wave when we don't have seismic shocks like this trial. That's when the wave becomes a tsunami, that's the point where we have flooded the system and can really make a difference.
The Michael Irvin strategy.

I completely agree.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Black lives are considered less valuable to large swathes of America and especially “law enforcement” and the supposed justice system.

If a literal lynching doesn’t result in a murder conviction the resulting riots will be entirely understandable.
100% at that point any idea of justice is long gone and the resulting riots would be a result of absolutely nothing else working.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Peter van der Gea

HOF wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys, incredible player, but was often in trouble off the field.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-01-11-sp-17537-story.html

The facts of each case aren’t comparable in any way to each other, but the sentiment by Irvin to not sensationalize is the same, maintain it during the leaner times.
I see what you mean, but it seems a bit further away.

Irvin there, seems to have been accused, publicized, had the accusation proved false and then, using his personal fame demanded his personal reputation restored by the same type of publicization. I agree, every false accusation should be equally publicized when proved false. Won't happen though, because no advertiser wants to be on the same page as a feckup like that.

What I'm saying is though, we're all having a conversation now, not just in this thread, but in four or five others on this site alone, but when we don't have cases as publicized as this, we need to keep the chatter up, until the chatter itself is publicized and we have a real voice.

NotThatSoph

It's literally incorrect.
People often complain about literally meaning figuratively now, but that's not what's happening. It's used as an intensifier, just like fecking or damn or plenty others. If you say that someone's fecking stupid you're not necessarily questioning their sexual technique, you may think that they're so stupid that the word stupid on its own isn't enough. If you say that someone's literally getting away with murder you're not necessarily saying that someone has murdered unpunished, you may be saying that someone is getting away with something blatant.

It's how language works, not very complicated.

The Firestarter

People often complain about literally meaning figuratively now, but that's not what's happening. It's used as an intensifier, just like fecking or damn or plenty others. If you say that someone's fecking stupid you're not necessarily questioning their sexual technique, you may think that they're so stupid that the word stupid on its own isn't enough. If you say that someone's literally getting away with murder you're not necessarily saying that someone has murdered unpunished, you may be saying that someone is getting away with something blatant.

It might not be complicated, I agree, but I don't think you understand it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
probably meant the bit about them being justified

I agree with that

asking nicely for change ain’t working
You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

I cannot think of a single example in human history where being peaceful ever made something change. We only respond to violence and that’s because we’re reactive not proactive for the most part.

It shouldn’t be the case but it is.

Absolutely willing to listen to examples that prove me wrong though.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

Thank god for you. I literally hate the grammar nazis on redcafe. ;)

Peter van der Gea

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

I cannot think of a single example in human history where being peaceful ever made something change. We only respond to violence and that’s because we’re reactive not proactive for the most part.

It shouldn’t be the case but it is.

Absolutely willing to listen to examples that prove me wrong though.
Isn't "civilization" itself an example? Tribes coming together peacefully to form cities and city states? Yeah, rulers changed occasionally through violence, but the tribes working together side by side instead of tiny wars over hunting ground was a big change

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I see what you mean, but it seems a bit further away.

Irvin there, seems to have been accused, publicized, had the accusation proved false and then, using his personal fame demanded his personal reputation restored by the same type of publicization. I agree, every false accusation should be equally publicized when proved false. Won't happen though, because no advertiser wants to be on the same page as a feckup like that.

What I'm saying is though, we're all having a conversation now, not just in this thread, but in four or five others on this site alone, but when we don't have cases as publicized as this, we need to keep the chatter up, until the chatter itself is publicized and we have a real voice.
That’s precisely why I said that the cases aren’t comparable, but energy should be used every day to battle against the police brutality towards POC, not just be used sporadically & conveniently during times of increased strife. It takes more from someone to commit to something more intensely over the long haul than it does to have sporadic outbursts. The pressure must be kept consistently high for meaningful change, not just only when something sensational occurs, especially when reacting more sensationally after a verdict will more than likely hinder the cause.

Peter van der Gea

That’s precisely why I said that the cases aren’t comparable, but energy should be used every day to battle against the police brutality towards POC, not just be used sporadically & conveniently during times of increased strife. It takes more from someone to commit to something more intensely over the long haul than it does to have sporadic outbursts. The pressure must be kept consistently high for meaningful change, not just only when something sensational occurs, especially when reacting more sensationally after a verdict will more than likely hinder the cause.
First bolded point, true, which is why "activist" seems like such an extreme label. However, by now, we should have enough individual sporadic outbursts to keep the chatter up. If we support each individual who is a victim, not only does it allow them more of a voice, it also keeps the chatter up.

Second bolded point, that inevitable, but hopefully we can use it like the tide coming in, each wave consuming more of the ground before pulling back to allow the next wave. The "better" we protest, the more support we'll get

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First bolded point, true, which is why "activist" seems like such an extreme label. However, by now, we should have enough individual sporadic outbursts to keep the chatter up. If we support each individual who is a victim, not only does it allow them more of a voice, it also keeps the chatter up.

Second bolded point, that inevitable, but hopefully we can use it like the tide coming in, each wave consuming more of the ground before pulling back to allow the next wave. The "better" we protest, the more support we'll get
Absolutely. That’s why the ‘Michael Irvin’ strategy is the sound one. Maintain consistent intensity, consistent focus, don’t get overly swayed by sensation as any excessive movement one way on the pendulum could have drastic negative effects.

I always found consistent pressure on anything works better than sporadic outbursts, no matter how rightly deserved the outbursts were.

Peter van der Gea

Absolutely. That’s why the ‘Michael Irvin’ strategy is the sound one. Maintain consistent intensity, consistent focus, don’t get overly swayed by sensation as any excessive movement one way on the pendulum could have drastic negative effects.

I always found consistent pressure on anything works better than sporadic outbursts, no matter how rightly deserved the outbursts were.
Again, like the tidal wave analogy, I think we need the waves of excessive movement. For example, Trevor Noah made a great point about the "social contract" when some of the protests were at their worst. And because those initial BLM protests were extreme, but you had logical social commentary, the ethnicity of the protestors diversified. That's how the movements become mainstream and real change can happen.

Consistent intensity and focus will only truly occur when there is a management layer to conglomerate all of those sporadic outbursts into an umbrella theme. We're talking on a self moderated, free access site that has an international reach of thousands. The tools are there

Skizzo

But there’s also large populations of people who say “I could care less” instead of “I couldn’t care less”. Everyone gets what they mean, but it doesn’t make it any less incorrect.

A word that, by definition, means it actually happened... shouldnt be used to embellish something. Especially with serious subject matter where people are concerned about someone literally getting away with murder.

“he’s fecking getting away with murder here”

vs

“he’s literally getting away with murder here”

don’t ring the same. The first could apply to a million things where someone just isn’t getting into trouble for something. The second doesn’t have that same generalization because of using the word literally. That’s why people pointed it out, not just because of a general grammar nazi punctuation or spelling. I imagine he would have gotten more of a pass too if he wasn’t implying someone else they were stupid and to Feck off too.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Again, like the tidal wave analogy, I think we need the waves of excessive movement. For example, Trevor Noah made a great point about the "social contract" when some of the protests were at their worst. And because those initial BLM protests were extreme, but you had logical social commentary, the ethnicity of the protestors diversified. That's how the movements become mainstream and real change can happen.

Consistent intensity and focus will only truly occur when there is a management layer to conglomerate all of those sporadic outbursts into an umbrella theme. We're talking on a self moderated, free access site that has an international reach of thousands. The tools are there
Excessive movement can cause damage if not done well or at a timely point.

You are correct about the distance between the peaks & valleys needing to get smaller. I also agree with increased intensity, but that intensity has to exist every day, not just when the cameras are rolling. The ‘floor’ for daily intensity needs to always be rising.

We’re saying pretty much the same thing here, just with different verbiage.

Peter van der Gea

Excessive movement can cause damage if not done well or at a timely point.

You are correct about the distance between the peaks & valleys needing to get smaller. I also agree with increased intensity, but that intensity has to exist every day, not just when the cameras are rolling. The ‘floor’ for daily intensity needs to always be rising.

We’re saying pretty much the same thing here, just with different verbiage.
I guess what I'm saying, which is slightly different, is that, if, if we could get the management right, what we see now, foresighting, as "excessive damage", in hindsight could be the game changing moments.

That needs planning, so we need leadership that have consensus for action. Currently, in the western world, you've got black groups against white supremacists, asian groups against white supremacists, East Asian groups against white supremacists. We need to be everyone against white supremacists

NotThatSoph

But there’s also large populations of people who say “I could care less” instead of “I couldn’t care less”. Everyone gets what they mean, but it doesn’t make it any less incorrect.

A word that, by definition, means it actually happened... shouldnt be used to embellish something. Especially with serious subject matter where people are concerned about someone literally getting away with murder.

“he’s fecking getting away with murder here”

vs

“he’s literally getting away with murder here”

don’t ring the same. The first could apply to a million things where someone just isn’t getting into trouble for something. The second doesn’t have that same generalization because of using the word literally. That’s why people pointed it out, not just because of a general grammar nazi punctuation or spelling. I imagine he would have gotten more of a pass too if he wasn’t implying someone else they were stupid and to Feck off too.
I could care less is also correct. Words and phrases are defined by common usage, and some people struggle with change and being left behind.

Aweful and awesome used to mean similar thing, both referring to awe, which meant something like terror, and the suffixes -ful and -some. Now they mean opposite things, and they mean opposite things for the sole reason that people started using them that way. Complaining about someone describing a movie they like as awesome would be very silly and incorrect.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I guess what I'm saying, which is slightly different, is that, if, if we could get the management right, what we see now, foresighting, as "excessive damage", in hindsight could be the game changing moments.

That needs planning, so we need leadership that have consensus for action. Currently, in the western world, you've got black groups against white supremacists, asian groups against white supremacists, East Asian groups against white supremacists. We need to be everyone against white supremacists
Challenge somewhat is the fratricide inside that grouping, but that’s another topic for another thread.

There are already institutions in place that have been the management for decades. SCLC / SNCC were the BLM of the 60s, albeit a bit more toned down. There definitely is a bit of an overall, tie-binding management level that can unite all POC across all lines right now, you are correct.

What has to occur is the layperson POC, those not necessarily attracted to resistance, needs to become more intense, raise the floor of the intensity. It’s akin to golf - one doesn’t get better over the long run trying to hit the perfect shot & perfect, one gets better over the long run by improving one’s bad shots & how bad they are on average, by eliminating mistakes, by constantly exerting pressure to improve & raise the floor.

I just do not have the best of feelings about what will happen when the trial is over. I have both been alive & have lived directly through some of the larger riots since Rodney King. I hope I am wrong, but there’s far too much recent history to prove me wrong.