Gerard Piqué

Kaos

Fair play to the lad, was the best defender on that pitch tonight and could have well won the game for Barcelona with that challenge very early on. I have to admit I've been very surprised by his progress at Barca, looks like the move was right for him.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Fair play to the lad, was the best defender on that pitch tonight and could have well won the game for Barcelona with that challenge very early on. I have to admit I've been very surprised by his progress at Barca, looks like the move was right for him.
Would he have been sent off rather than yellow carded by some referees though?

CR#7

feck the cnut he can take a nice big Spanish dick up his little cnut

Kaos

I was thinking that (and screaming at him to get a red in the heat of the moment) but judging from tonight, even a 10-man Barcelona team could have still played us off the park.

kanchelskis14

He was excellent tonight, and has been for a while. Many on the caf have taken sots at him this past season, but he did himself proud tonight - very fecking annoyingly so mind.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Great performance at the back. Didn't put a foot wrong, just a shame we couldn't have had Ronaldo or Rooney running directly at him though. But he was well protected by the midfield trio in front of him.

ch7

If he had stayed he probably wouldn't have progressed in the way he has done at Barca. In a way i'm pleased for him but he is likely to be a future captain of Barcelona and will no doubt be in their defence for the next 10 years so United fans will probably have to see an ex player thrive and succeed away from their own club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Very good performance as the first challenge he made was maybe the difference between us and them lifting the Cup.He was faultless unlike his partner Toure

December_16

He won his medal tonight, fair and square, after missing out last season.

Hope Rafael, Evans and co. will do the same next season. With us.

Crustanoid

feck the cnut he can take a nice big Spanish dick up his little cnut
feckwit

he was one of their best players. Definitely stepped up to the plate on the biggest stage, unlike some of our lads

CR#7

feckwit

he was one of their best players. Definitely stepped up to the plate on the biggest stage, unlike some of our lads
good time to be a Barca fan mate they just won the champions league I think

Ekeke

Lacked nothing tonight. The signs werent too good for him when Ronaldo got him booked, but it was the only time in the 90 minutes when he didnt look an absolutely top class player.

CR#7

What on earth are you smoking?
feck all mate but why the feck would you give pique regard on his match after we just lost honestly its a fecking joke but respect to the poster he has more balls than I do because I Just spent the past hour and a half in the corner.

Skholesy

No chance of that I'm afraid. Ronnie hit the ball out slightly wide, which is what I think saved him. We could say that ronnie could still have scored from that wide angle but i don't think its interpreted as such - he pushed it wide, so it wasn't a 100% goalscoring opportunity denied by the foul.

Put it this way, if it was vidic instead of pique, we would have called it really harsh to have had him sent off.

Crustanoid

feck all mate but why the feck would you give pique regard on his match after we just lost honestly its a fecking joke but respect to the poster he has more balls than I do because I Just spent the past hour and a half in the corner.
Perhaps it may be a good idea to go back there (the corner)?

Kaos

We're all pretty downbeat mate, but just look to the bright side - would you have taken numer 18 at the beginning of the season :) ?

Pique is ex-United, so I thought id praise a player who seems to be very rapidly advancing in his career after being a brief servant to us.

Direct your hatred towards Puyol, that greasy cnut deserves some stick though.

CR#7

We're all pretty downbeat mate, but just look to the bright side - would you have taken numer 18 at the beginning of the season :) ?

Pique is ex-United, so I thought id praise a player who seems to be very rapidly advancing in his career after being a brief servant to us.

Direct your hatred towards Puyol, that greasy cnut deserves some stick though.
well said mate, the pain hurts and will for afew days ATLEAST just don't really give a feck about the twat let alone make a thread for him can't lie im really upset.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Sad that this kid outplayed Ferdinand and Vidic combined tonight.
It wasn't exactly difficult in fairness since we offered nothing going forward after ten minutes. The best we had was a few long balls and crosses which is generally Pique's forte. Like I said it was a shame we didn't have anyone running at him except for that one time by Ronaldo.

But aside from that one time from Ronaldo, he was faultless. Everyting else is just what ifs.

Tony7

i was bitching last year when we sold him

im sure he could have played more this year and evens could have gone on loan pique & evens would have been a great partnership for the next decade

Ekeke

Someone was asking if a legend could be born tonight. Maybe one was, but a Barcelona one. Watch this space.

Paddy

paddyf091
Calm down. The best team won on the night, and people felt like complimenting the performance of a former United lad out there tonight that deserves his winners medal. Acting like a tit about really doesn't change anything.

Kaos

im sure he could have played more this year and evens could have gone on loan pique & evens would have been a great partnership for the next decade
Abit knee-jerk this. There's no way knowing how well Piqiue would have developed here, I still believe that the decision in the end was best for all parties involved.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
He was superb. Seems a really good lad as well, spoke very highly of United when he left

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I felt he was lucky to stay on the pitch

but he played well after that

To be fair though, United didnt exactly test them enough (the whole Barca defence), throwing high balls into the box is food and drink for a big lad like Pique. Would have liked to have seen Ronaldo get a good run at him with pace

BabaORiley

His distribution was superb, that's his strongest point. I dont like him much, for what Ive read from him about United in the catalan press, but he has the makings of a very good center back if he keeps improving. After reading all his whining and complaining about english weather, food, training techniques and even teammates, I dont think his heart was ever at United and probably never would have done as well as he's doing in barcelona, his homeclub.

We made the right decision, Evans will be every bit as good, probably a better defender in time. Also Pique at Barcelona has the advantage of not having in front of him the two best CBs in world football hence having more minutes to play and the chance of developing faster than Evans

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Why is Pique so widely criticised on here?

For me, he is one of the best central defenders in the World. Certainly in my top five.

But I regularly read people's views on him here and see he isn't too popular (football wise).

I admit that his form last season dipped slightly, but for the past three to four years he's generally been really consistent and an important part of why Barcelona and Spain have won everything. He's been at the heart of that.

Is there United fan jealousy, because he left us? Because to my mind, he doesn't make very many mistakes and gets a lot right.

mufcwarm92

To be fair I think I like him more knowing he used to play here.

I do feel he is over rated at times though - on the ball he's very comfortable, amongst the best ball playing centre backs in world football. But I think a lot of us think he's a bit suspect defensively when the pressure is piled on. He's tailor made for Barcelona's system but I don't think he'd have worked as well for us, especially with irregular playing time behind Rio and Vidic.

mightberight

For me, he is one of the best central defenders in the World. Certainly in my top five.

But I regularly read people's views on him here and see he isn't too popular (football wise).

I admit that his form last season dipped slightly, but for the past three to four years he's generally been really consistent and an important part of why Barcelona and Spain have won everything. He's been at the heart of that.

Is there United fan jealousy, because he left us? Because to my mind, he doesn't make very many mistakes and gets a lot right.
He's very good, but I think he's a tad overrated because he plays for Barcelona. How many times does he get tested? He can either ooze class or look clumsy. If he irons out his inconsistency, then sure.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Why is this the go to phrase whenever anyone criticizes Barcelona or Spain or whatever? I had hopes that he and Evans would be our next great defensive partnership. I always have a soft spot for former United players, Pique included, and I'm happy that he's been able to achieve so much (only hurts when it's at our expense)

I don't rate him that much as a defender. He's an excellent ball player, and it's no surprise he has excelled at playing defensive midfield in the past. However at a club that possesses 70% of the ball most of the time, a club where Mascherano/Busquets can slot into defense without looking awkward, it leads me to conclude that being a defender at Barcelona isn't about defending actually. He's in the perfect club. Move him anywhere else and his deficiencies would be more prominent. Plus, this last season, he hasn't been at his best for some reason.

Put it like this, I'd take Evans and Smalling over Pique right now. *slaps floor*

VoetbalWizard

Why is this the go to phrase whenever anyone criticizes Barcelona or Spain or whatever? I had hopes that he and Evans would be our next great defensive partnership. I always have a soft spot for former United players, Pique included, and I'm happy that he's been able to achieve so much (only hurts when it's at our expense)

I don't rate him that much as a defender. He's an excellent ball player, and it's no surprise he has excelled at playing defensive midfield in the past. However at a club that possesses 70% of the ball most of the time, a club where Mascherano/Busquets can slot into defense without looking awkward, it leads me to conclude that being a defender at Barcelona isn't about defending actually. He's in the perfect club. Move him anywhere else and his deficiencies would be more prominent. Plus, this last season, he hasn't been at his best for some reason.

Put it like this, I'd take Evans and Smalling over Pique right now. *slaps floor*
That says more about our deficiencies in retaining the ball and our lack of ability and quality compared to barca than it does about pique not being the dogs bollocks.

Lads have a tough time about talking about pique because he well and truly smashed the 'the only way after united is down' "rule" more than any other player.