g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

German Cup Final 2019 - Rasenball Leipzig vs FC Bayern Munich

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bundesliga is a bigger farmers League Thema ligue 1.

Bayern didnt have 1 Shot against Liverpool yet they thrash everyone in their League with 3+ goals
The league was decided on the last day while PSG sealed the deal somewhere in what, late august?

saylon

Supports
Bayern Munich
if I were Kovac, I'd give the finger to Hoeneß and friends and ride into the sunset. Not saying he's the greatest of coaches, but I feel he's been taking a lot of unfair heat this year and still comes away with both trophies.
Plenty of the heat is well deserved in my book. If you find the time, you should watch his match-day pressers over the course of the season. Niko made a habit of taking responsibility for everything that went well and blaming everything that went bad on his players. I can't remember any Bayern coach that I perceived as arrogant as him.
In addition he loves to use the underdog narrative which just feels wrong when used by Bayern Munich in most situations.
For instance after winning against Heidenheim (at that time of the season in the middle of the 2nd League table), he stated that he wanted to put up the shutters (Beton anrühren in German) in the 2nd half! Our recent coaches might have just worded it differently, stating maybe something along the lines of "wanted to slow things and seeing the game out in a controlled way" which might lead to a similar boring 2nd half but speaks volumes about who they feel like are in control of that match.

Djemba-Djemba

The league was decided on the last day while PSG sealed the deal somewhere in what, late august?
That's true but you could also argue Bayern have looked total shit for large parts of the season and they've still walked away with the double.

I mean if even this season they win both trophies, what hope do others have because I think they'll be much better next year.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bundesliga is a bigger farmers League Thema ligue 1.

Bayern didnt have 1 Shot against Liverpool yet they thrash everyone in their League with 3+ goals
Sorry mate, but what a stupid take. The league being decided on the last day is surely different to France. Or Italy and Spain this season.

Djemba-Djemba

Sorry mate, but what a stupid take. The league being decided on the last day is surely different to France. Or Italy and Spain this season.
I mean they've still won what? 7 titles in a row?

And like 5 out of the last 7 German cups.

It's not a competitive league, or a good one at the minute.

Infestissumam

Plenty of the heat is well deserved in my book. If you find the time, you should watch his match-day pressers over the course of the season. Niko made a habit of taking responsibility for everything that went well and blaming everything that went bad on his players. I can't remember any Bayern coach that I perceived as arrogant as him.
In addition he loves to use the underdog narrative which just feels wrong when used by Bayern Munich in most situations.
For instance after winning against Heidenheim (at that time of the season in the middle of the 2nd League table), he stated that he wanted to put up the shutters (Beton anrühren in German) in the 2nd half! Our recent coaches might have just worded it differently, stating maybe something along the lines of "wanted to slow things and seeing the game out in a controlled way" which might lead to a similar boring 2nd half but speaks volumes about who they feel like are in control of that match.
I admit I'm watching all of this from a bit of a distance. Missed the Beton comments and his pressers in general, so yeah, I'm sure he has his flaws. My dad is a huge Bayern fan (the 99 final was interesting for both of us :D) and he wants Kovac gone too. But I also think their squad needs rebuilding (and it seems they agree) and with Robben/Ribery on a sharp decline I think it was always going to be a difficult season for them. Still he won both national trophies now ... I know, it's what is expected, but they made up a lot of ground in the second half of the season and won 5-1 against Dortmund. Can't be all THAT bad then, right? Especially when guys like van Bommel are considered candidates for the job. If a world class manager was available, it'd be a different thing.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Two leagues, two teams heads and shoulders above the rest. Both league winners win the cup final by a considerable margin. One's a farmers league, one's the most competitive in the world. Apparently.

Djemba-Djemba

Is the Bundesliga a bigger farmer‘s league (btw, what a stupid description) then the French league?
No but not by much. I don't think comparing the Bundesliga to Ligue 1 is as mad as you seem to think it is.

Bayern are as totally and utterly dominant in the German league as PSG in the French.

In fact I bet over the last 5 or 6 years it's pretty close on who's won more domestically.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Two leagues, two teams heads and shoulders above the rest. Both league winners win the cup final by a considerable margin. One's a farmers league, one's the most competitive in the world. Apparently.
Where did I say the latter part? Both is stupid and from your postings here I was expecting more from you. Oh, well.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
No but not by much. I don't think comparing the Bundesliga to Ligue 1 is as mad as you seem to think it is.

Bayern are as totally and utterly dominant in the German league as PSG in the French.

In fact I bet over the last 5 or 6 years it's pretty close on who's won more domestically.
Oh, I agree with you. The poster I was quoting called Buli worse than Ligue 1 and that is just plain wrong. Of course it is boring to watch Bayern win again, but at least the league was close and Dortmund‘s signings show some ambition.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That's true but you could also argue Bayern have looked total shit for large parts of the season and they've still walked away with the double.

I mean if even this season they win both trophies, what hope do others have because I think they'll be much better next year.
Sure, it's not very competitive, but not on the level of the current league 1.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Where did I say the latter part? Both is stupid and from your postings here I was expecting more from you. Oh, well.
I was agreeing with you but I probably didn't make that clear enough

Classical Mechanic

If you look at the coefficients for this season then its about this

1. England

2. Spain

3. Germany

4. Italy

5. Portugal
6. France

saylon

Supports
Bayern Munich
I admit I'm watching all of this from a bit of a distance. Missed the Beton comments and his pressers in general, so yeah, I'm sure he has his flaws. My dad is a huge Bayern fan (the 99 final was interesting for both of us :D) and he wants Kovac gone too. But I also think their squad needs rebuilding (and it seems they agree) and with Robben/Ribery on a sharp decline I think it was always going to be a difficult season for them. Still he won both national trophies now ... I know, it's what is expected, but they made up a lot of ground in the second half of the season and won 5-1 against Dortmund. Can't be all THAT bad then, right? Especially when guys like van Bommel are considered candidates for the job. If a world class manager was available, it'd be a different thing.
While I side your father's wish about Kovac's departure I don't like black and whites... Kovac is a good manager deserves als the praise he got from his time in Frankfurt. I mean he took over Frankfurt when they were almost already relegated and over the course of his time there brought them back to Europe and won the German Cup. Steady building success over several season is usually proof of not being a fluke. But as I said above, I have the feeling that part of his way to build success is a similar "us against the world" kind of narrative, in a sense similar to Mourinho which works amazing for underdogs and even for black horses but not for clubs who are considered favorites in 99% of their matches.

This kind of approach also puts a heavy focus on work-rate, defensive positioning and physical taklings. Those are part of the game and it's fine to put some kind of weight onto those aspects in training, but given how passing precision has declined compared to previous years, given how off the ball movement while in possession has gone missing, how after announcing that he would put a big focus on bringing up youth players and how much game time the youngsters saw even while we had severe injury issues, I have quite some doubts that Kovac is the right coach to develop that new squad. To be honest I am worried he might do quite semi-permanent damage to our offensive game if he stays.

Blackwidow

There is some guests... actually there was no seat free anymore in the pub... but when a lady came into the bar just shortly before the match started and says: "It's my son. It's my son." - then we ask: "Fine. Where does he sit?" But when the answer is, that he is playing and that his name is Kingsley and that the TV just went out of service - then we let the lady sit directly at the counter, celebrate with her and be glad when she leaves a 46.10 EUR tip (she only drank one beer). Merci Madame and gratulations to FC Bayern for winning the Cup.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They have won the Bundesliga something like 16 times in the last 20 years. Competitive
14 out of 20, and that too only because of their recent superteam.

In the first 20 Premier League seasons (92-12), United won 12 of them. Competitive :yawn:

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
They have won the Bundesliga something like 16 times in the last 20 years. Competitive
14 out of 20, and that too only because of their recent superteam.

In the first 20 Premier League seasons (92-12), United won 12 of them. Competitive :yawn:
are you really trying to compare the Bundesliga to the Premier league in terms of competitiveness? Bayern is having a shitty season and still does the double, that tells me all I need to know about how competitive Bundesliga is. I know you are trying to compare it to how the premier league was 10 years ago. Bundesliga is not even close as competitive as Premier league and revenues reflect that. United, Chelsea, Leicester and City have won the league in the last 10 years. Bayern has won the Bundesliga in the last 7 years,.so not much base of comparison

Blackwidow

The 78+ points Bayern achieved in the recent 7 years are probably in the top 10 of the years since 1963...

71/72 was higher and 11/12...

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Neuer deserves a mention, that game was a flashback to his peak years. The saves against Poulsen and Forsberg were sensational, and he was really good with the ball at his feet. All the more remarkable since he was nursed back to health just in time after a six weeks injury break.

It might just be a blip, but it would be great if he could overcome his recent problems and have some worthy final years to his career.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Looks like Lewandowski s been filling up on the Bale diet all of the sudden. I don't remember him being that ripped before.
He‘s been ripped for a while. I believe his wife is a former karate world champion and both of them are heavy into nutrition and workouts