German Football 20/21

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Oh boy, how did this end with only one goal scored?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Not to that degree. :D As long as we try to be as competitive as possible it will be fine for us. Hopefully an entertaining match for all of us. Have been looking forward to face the European champion ever since our first participation in this competition.
Seeing that you have all of Beckham, Nedved and Salah Mohamed in your team I'm actually kind of worried. But no Trezeguet?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was wondering if there would be any talk on Bayern's uber attacking formation today but appears not.....who played alongside Kimmich in central midfield or was it 4-1-4-1?

el3mel

Seeing that you have all of Beckham, Nedved and Salah Mohamed in your team I'm actually kind of worried. But no Trezeguet?
:lol: All these nicknames were given by one youth team manager to several youngsters. I don't even know why he nicknamed them like this. I mean Trezeguet who is playing in Villa doesn't even resemble the original in anyway.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Was wondering if there would be any talk on Bayern's uber attacking formation today but appears not.....who played alongside Kimmich in central midfield or was it 4-1-4-1?
It was a 4141. A rather normal formation during Pep‘s time at Bayern. Gnabry and Müller are hard working and intelligent so you can get away with playing them as „8s“

Blackwidow

If Müller was not pressing he was more box-to-box. Gnabry played deep very often, too. And none of the fullbacks was offensive. But neither Pavard nor Hernandez can really play inverted fullbacks like Lahm and Alaba did with Pep.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
:lol: All these nicknames were given by one youth team manager to several youngsters. I don't even know why he nicknamed them like this. I mean Trezeguet who is playing in Villa doesn't even resemble the original in anyway.
Right, he is at Villa!
Anyway, everyone's always kind of bitching about the tournament as it's in the middle of the season, but I must say it is kind of awesome to meet and compete with the best teams of the other continents once in a while. Everyday football is so eurocentric for us. I'm looking forward to the games, and yes, we are beatable.

el3mel

Right, he is at Villa!
Anyway, everyone's always kind of bitching about the tournament as it's in the middle of the season, but I must say it is kind of awesome to meet and compete with the best teams of the other continents once in a while. Everyday football is so eurocentric for us. I'm looking forward to the games, and yes, we are beatable.
Yeah I agree. The system of the tournament will need a change and I think they are already thinking about that but its concept is fun. Anyway, hope we all enjoy the match together!

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
When was the last time Lewandowski missed a penalty before today?
I believe the commentator said something like „the only other Bundesliga keeper who saved a penalty against Lewandowski is Neuer. Back in 2013 when Lewy was still at Dortmund.“ No idea if true but great trivia. He missed in CL and/or Cup before though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Terzic going attacking again. Morey is sitting on the bench, so Can (or whoever ends up playing on the right) will be a bit of a gamble.

Sir Tanley Daft

Supports
Local Team & BVB
Terzic going attacking again. Morey is sitting on the bench, so Can (or whoever ends up playing on the right) will be a bit of a gamble.
It's not that much of a gamble I feel as Morey has been quite underwhelming so far unfortunately. He seems a bit light-weight defending and his contribution in possession doesn't really make up for those deficits. He may still come good but it feels like another Isak, Merino, Gomez type transfer, that just doesn't work out.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's not that much of a gamble I feel as Morey has been quite underwhelming so far unfortunately. He seems a bit light-weight defending and his contribution in possession doesn't really make up for those deficits. He may still come good but it feels like another Isak, Merino, Gomez type transfer, that just doesn't work out.
Yeah. Morey definitely has earned his spot on the bench. Initially he looked a bit similar to Guerreiro, but all that flair and creativity seems to have disappeared. Still, trying something new is always a bit of a gamble. If Can messes up it will be recorded as Terzic's mistake.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Brandt sure does some infuriating stuff periodically.
It's amazing how someone so gifted can misplace so many easy passes. Though that's partly true for the whole team. There was a moment right before the break where Reus (who made some stupid mistakes himself) would have been through on goal with a simple one two, but Sancho somehow managed to overhit the return pass by half its length.
This has been costing Dortmund all season: they don't use the space when they get it. You don't necessarily have to play well if you're clever, but they are neither.

edit: Brandt off at half time, the lad is wasting his career

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Hitz :lol:. Amazing to have two walking disasters as your goalkeepers.

Watch them get Gulasci via his clause and then @UNITED ACADEMY & co. will be out in full force to protest

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Gulasci would easily be their best keeper since Weidenfeller so would be impressed if they could pull that off.

marktan

Did Dortmund not replace Favre?

Only 3 points behind currently but they're in serious danger of opening a gap to top four with the run they're on, all of Lipzieg, Leverkusen and Borussia M have been building solid teams over the least couple of seasons (no idea if Wolfsburg are any good or not).

Coupled with no fans would be a big hit to their finances I'd imagine.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Did Dortmund not replace Favre?

Only 3 points behind currently but they're in serious danger of opening a gap to top four with the run they're on, all of Lipzieg, Leverkusen and Borussia M have been building solid teams over the least couple of seasons.

Coupled with no fans would be a big hit to their finances I'd imagine.
Isn't it rumoured Rose is going there in the summer.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Dortmund is Freiburgs boogey team. Only 3 wins and 27 losses.
Streich's first win against Dortmund in 17 attempts.
If Dortmund can't even beat their whipping boys Freiburg and Mönchengladbach anymore, they are really in deep shit.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's getting a bit reminiscent of the 14/15 season. Missing penalties, having games like today where they concede two long shots (or two corners vs Cologne), it's not all bad luck, Reus in particular is a disappointment at the moment, Brandt is outdoing himself even and the team as a whole is struggling. But where the team is needing the necessary bit of luck they are getting the opposite too often lately.

Ah alright, missed the rumours. Dortmund are surely the bigger name, but not much more at the moment.
It depends on what Gulasci wants, e.g. whether he's looking for a new challenge, Dortmund can offer him a bigger name, a proper club, a bigger stadium, bigger wages (probably) and in theory a higher performance ceiling, though the latter will likely be in doubt if they miss out on the CL.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Isn't it rumoured Rose is going there in the summer.
Summer is still a long way to go though.
It's almost as if having an inexperienced, random nobody as your manager for the biggest part of a season is not a good idea.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Summer is still a long way to go though.
It's almost as if having an inexperienced, random nobody as your manager for the biggest part of a season is not a good idea.
If Rose is coming in he will have one hell of a job to do. Every area bar the forwards need work. He might lose some of his forwards as well.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If Rose is coming in he will have one hell of a job to do. Every area bar the forwards need work. He might lose some of his forwards as well.
The same can be said if he's staying at Gladbach. Ginter, Elvedi and Zakaria have contracts that expire in 2022, Neuhaus and reportedly Thuram, too, have release clauses. Maybe he'd have to spend a year in the EL watching Gladbach play in the CL, but if he's doing his job well he'll overtake them again immediately.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
3-3-2-2 as a starting formation for Leipzig? 0-3 win with 10-1 shots on target and 63 percent possession against Shalke..What is happening with the team from Gelzenkirchen?