German Football 21/22 | Gladbach sign Farke

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I would say this will encourage him to take the vaccine, but he will now have recovered and now won't need it.

But it can encourage the others in the squad to take it (although for me the argument is still always to do it to protect others and not necessarily yourself)
Doubt. It's been over 2 years. If they haven't got the message by now, they never will.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Sky reports that Leipzig are about to sign Domenico "The numbers don't reflect what we intended to do. If we go for the second ball and play the first one to the opposition intentionally, it's only natural that our pass% goes down." Tedesco. :lol:
Unbelievable :lol:

I told you though, they're done as a club.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't you guys think it's a bit premature to write Tedesco off completely? Schalke isn't exactly a paradise for managers and the guy is still only 36 and has enough time to learn - maybe already did so in Moscow, who knows. According to the things I've heard, he did pretty decent over there.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Unbelievable :lol:

I told you though, they're done as a club.
Some humility is appropriate, wasn't too long ago that they kicked Bayern's butts around. And it only takes 1-2 bad seasons for Bayern to sink into the middle of the league. There's not many managers left that we can churn through. Nagelsmann is almost the last option before we're left with second tier coaches.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Some humility is appropriate, wasn't too long ago that they kicked Bayern's butts around. And it only takes 1-2 bad seasons for Bayern to sink into the middle of the league. There's not many managers left that we can churn through. Nagelsmann is almost the last option before we're left with second tier coaches.
You can be double humble so I don't have to be, thanks mate

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Don't you guys think it's a bit premature to write Tedesco off completely? Schalke isn't exactly a paradise for managers and the guy is still only 36 and has enough time to learn - maybe already did so in Moscow, who knows. According to the things I've heard, he did pretty decent over there.
No.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
His football was just so comprehensivley terrible while coaching Schalke, their game plan consisted of being solid at the back and then hoping a mistake or dead ball goal would fall into their lap on the other end of the pitch. I watched quite a few of their games in the second half of his first season and even when they played relegation relegation candidates I could barely tell which team was going for second place and which was hoping to avoid relegation.
And then in his second season they were trying to make a shift to more constructive football, bought Sebastian Rudy for huge (by Schalke standards) money and four games into the season Tedesco decided to scrap the project, go full hoofball and fully bench Rudy for the following four games. In a similar spirit he also picked a fight with Höwedes right from the start, that ended with Schalke having to loan him out to Juventus and halfway through his second season he suddenly decided to axe Naldo and Fährmann. There may have been sporting reasons for demoting any one of them, but the way he did it and given how Schalke ended up in terms of identification and leadership within the squad it was a bit like he took a sledgehammer to a structure, without having any kind of idea what to do next.

Of course it's entirely possible that things actually weren't that easy for him at Schalke (though during his time they still spent quite a bit of money) and he might have learned from that time and improved while in Moscow as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he learned from how he dealt with the players I've mentioned by name earlier in this post, but I have a hard time believeing someone who played such a depressing football just suffered from having to coach Schalke and/or reinvented himself completely by coaching two years in Russia.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wasn‘t his football at Schalke the total opposite of what Leipzig wants to/used to play?
Haven‘t followed his Moscow endeavor
Depends on whether Leipzig want to string more than two passes together in the future. But to be fair I would assume that they aren't complete idiots and Tedesco has shown in Moscow that it was more Schalke than him, that committed the crimes against football while he was there.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Apparently Kimmich is out for this year with "small infiltrations in the lung"

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Who could have seen this coming, and if only there was a way to have prevented it.
Sorry, i wish Kimmich nothing but well, but this whole episode, from bringing upheaval to the squad to this eventual outcome, has been so, so stupid and unnecessary.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To be fair Kimmich has been warning people about side effects all along.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Let's hope he's not having long covid.
That could be a huge setback for his career.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Who could have seen this coming, and if only there was a way to have prevented it.
Sorry, i wish Kimmich nothing but well, but this whole episode, from bringing upheaval to the squad to this eventual outcome, has been so, so stupid and unnecessary.
Maybe it serves as a teachable moment

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Can't make this up. Allegedly Kimmich had no or only very mild symptoms. And now this?

Just read that Choupo is also out for the rest of the year due to his corona infection.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Depends on whether Leipzig want to string more than two passes together in the future. But to be fair I would assume that they aren't complete idiots and Tedesco has shown in Moscow that it was more Schalke than him, that committed the crimes against football while he was there.
Nah. We have to conclude they are indeed complete idiots. Tedesco is nothing but a trainwreck of an appointment and we will all be able to watch it unfold in mid-tempo motion.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Can't make this up. Allegedly Kimmich had no or only very mild symptoms. And now this?

Just read that Choupo is also out for the rest of the year due to his corona infection.
I might be wrong on this one but as far as I know, the only information about Kimmich's well being was communicated by Nagelsmann when he said that Kimmich "is fine" on a press conference that also addressed the Choupo-Moting situation. I thought it was a bit suspicious that Kimmich was still in quarantine although Choupo-Moting who started his isolation roughly at the same point in time was already out of it despite having rather strong symptoms. But this might also be over-analytical.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Nah. We have to conclude they are indeed complete idiots. Tedesco is nothing but a trainwreck of an appointment and we will all be able to watch it unfold in mid-tempo motion.
And Kohlfeld has started to bestow his foul arts on Wolfsburg, too. Good times ahead for our plastic clubs, I reckon. :drool:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Why are Wolfsburg already spiraling again? And just saying it's Kohfeldt isn't enough for me.

And Kohlfeld has started to bestow his foul arts on Wolfsburg, too. Good times ahead for our plastic clubs, I reckon. :drool:
Leverkusen are still 3rd and Hoffenheim 5th. It's more like they have shuffled their usual positions. Leipzig 3rd, Leverkusen 5th and Wolfsburg/Hoffenheim 8th/11th wouldn't be an unusual season.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
And people blame Bayern for the lack of competitiveness in this league, when there's a neverending parade of glitzy dilettantes, a shooting gallery of moronic hiring decisions, and a merry carousel of proven failures at display in this funfair of mediocrity.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And people blame Bayern for the lack of competitiveness in this league, when there's a neverending parade of glitzy dilettantes, a shooting gallery of moronic hiring decisions, and a merry carousel of proven failures at display in this funfair of mediocrity.
Well, not everybody has the opportunity to sign Julian Nagelsmann from direct competitors or get away with appointing Hassan Salihamidzic and Kovac

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well, not everybody has the opportunity to sign Julian Nagelsmann from direct competitors or get away with appointing Hassan Salihamidzic and Kovac
Everybody has the opportunity to not hire Domenico Tedesco or Florian Kohfeldt though

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'd like to think it would be part of the job description of a CL level club DoF, to be able to identify and hire such a manager. Someone better than Florian Kohfeldt or Domenico Tedesco.

Apparently not in Bundesliga though. And both clubs have your much coveted billionaire investors!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd like to think it would be part of the job description of a CL level club DoF, to be able to identify and hire such a manager. Someone better than Florian Kohfeldt or Domenico Tedesco.

Apparently not in Bundesliga though. And both clubs have your much coveted billionaire investors!
You would've belittled every appointment they could realistically have made. As if you've applaused Leipzig for appointing a no name coach. Top managers aren't an infinite resource and not available mid season.

And on top of that you can't accept that Bayern is the only club that can get away with making incompetent people now and then because the distance to the other clubs is that big. The rest of the league has to make much better decisions than Bayern to catch up. So if you operate on relatively high level, there's not much the rest can do. Highlighting the occasional feck up every club has once in a while won't change that.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You would've belittled every appointment they could realistically have made. As if you've applaused Leipzig for appointing a no name coach. Top managers aren't an infinite resource and not available mid season.

And on top of that you can't accept that Bayern is the only club that can get away with making incompetent people now and then because the distance to the other clubs is that big. The rest of the league has to make much better decisions than Bayern to catch up. So if you operate on relatively high level, there's not much the rest can do. Highlighting the occasional feck up every club has once in a while won't change that.
Still @Hansi Fick has a point, most clubs make far more mistakes than Bayern do. You mentioned Salihamidzic and Kovac but i would argue that Salihamidzic' signings so far are actually ok (not great, but most players he signed are at least useful squad options). And Kovac did a great job in Frankfurt, it wasn't like he got the job just because he was a former player, but because he improved that team a lot and was able to go head to head against Bayern, at least in single games. Sure that went wrong quickly, but they identified the issue, replaced him well and won everything.

Which club in the league is run on a similar level of good decisions? In the long run I'd argue only Freiburg.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Still @Hansi Fick has a point, most clubs make far more mistakes than Bayern do. You mentioned Salihamidzic and Kovac but i would argue that Salihamidzic' signings so far are actually ok (not great, but most players he signed are at least useful squad options). And Kovac did a great job in Frankfurt, it wasn't like he got the job just because he was a former player, but because he improved that team a lot and was able to go head to head against Bayern, at least in single games. Sure that went wrong quickly, but they identified the issue, replaced him well and won everything.

Which club in the league is run on a similar level of good decisions? In the long run I'd argue only Freiburg.
It is easier to make good decisions at Bayern than at Dortmund. Bayern skipped Tuchel to appoint Kovac - that's one of the dumbest decisions ever made. And yes, on paper it made sense to sign the coach that won the cup over them. But it was clear from the beginning that Kovac was an underdog coach and not in any way suited to Bayern Munich.

In the end, Bayern has a much bigger pool to choose from, doesn't have to replace key players and can compensate if they waste a fortune. They can pick from a bigger pool of players and have more financial leeway. They don't need to be as creative in their problem solving as other clubs and thus minimize the risk. No other club e. g. can just wait for contracts of players they are interested in to run down. This option isn't on the table for many of the others - in a way, they are the chip leaders and can dominate the rest of the table.

So of course they're doing great themselves but I think it's a bit rich to criticize the rest of the league who have to operate on budgets that are several orders of magnitude smaller. I don't think for example that the people responsible for Bayern would bring Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen or Gladbach further forward than they are now if they were to workthere.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It is easier to make good decisions at Bayern than at Dortmund. Bayern skipped Tuchel to appoint Kovac - that's one of the dumbest decisions ever made. And yes, on paper it made sense to sign the coach that won the cup over them. But it was clear from the beginning that Kovac was an underdog coach and not in any way suited to Bayern Munich.

In the end, Bayern has a much bigger pool to choose from, doesn't have to replace key players and can compensate if they waste a fortune. They can pick from a bigger pool of players and have more financial leeway. They don't need to be as creative in their problem solving as other clubs and thus minimize the risk. No other club e. g. can just wait for contracts of players they are interested in to run down. This option isn't on the table for many of the others - in a way, they are the chip leaders and can dominate the rest of the table.

So of course they're doing great themselves but I think it's a bit rich to criticize the rest of the league who have to operate on budgets that are several orders of magnitude smaller. I don't think for example that the people responsible for Bayern would bring Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen or Gladbach further forward than they are now if they were to workthere.
I agree that Bayern is in a unique position. But if we hold Dortmund's management responsible to the standards Freiburg set, they are just not good, and clubs like Schalke, Hamburg, Bremen, Hertha are just ridiculously bad.

Bayern isn't a fair benchmark, clubs like Freiburg or Union Berlin are.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I agree that Bayern is in a unique position. But if we hold Dortmund's management responsible to the standards Freiburg set, they are just not good, and clubs like Schalke, Hamburg, Bremen, Hertha are just ridiculously bad.

Bayern isn't a fair benchmark, clubs like Freiburg or Union Berlin are.
What are the mistakes Dortmund makes in your opinion? Because I think they're generally a brillantly run club both on the commercial as well as on the sporting side. They've got great scouting, appoint the right coaches, have visions for the club, etc. I honestly think you can't do that much better in their position than they do. They are one of the very few clubs who grew organically to (almost) elite level. Think it is hard to find a club in the whole of Europe who went through a similar development. Maybe Atletico.