German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Leverkusen such a disaster these days. That said there was always going to be a Bayern backlash eventually and here it is.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Leverkusen such a disaster these days. That said there was always going to be a Bayern backlash eventually and here it is.
I'm obviously happy about the result so far, but the biggest difference by far today is how we convert our chances.

We could and most probably should have scored 3, 4 or even 5 goals in all games in the last few weeks but we were incredibly wasteful.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Meanwhile in evil investor land - the Financial Times reports that everyone's favorite human being Lars Windhorst hired an Israeli detective agency to spy on former Hertha president Gegenbauer and his allies. Not only were they supposed to find any kind of dirt, they also seemingly created fake profiles and generated content to slander their target.
Hertha now have requested that he answers the allegations with a statement on oath until Monday... fun times. ^^

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Meanwhile in evil investor land - the Financial Times reports that everyone's favorite human being Lars Windhorst hired an Israeli detective agency to spy on former Hertha president Gegenbauer and his allies. Not only were they supposed to find any kind of dirt, they also seemingly created fake profiles and generated content to slander their target.
Hertha now have requested that he answers the allegations with a statement on oath until Monday... fun times. ^^
on top of it - allegedly - Windhorst hasn't paid the company he hired and is getting sued by them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They actually have such a talented team - this manager just cant cut it atm.
Yes I like all of Schick, Diaby and Frimpong and will be interesting to see how CHO gets on centrally. 1 win from first 8 games is incredible even if they're in CL and not tenable for much longer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They actually have such a talented team - this manager just cant cut it atm.

They are all so classic Leverkusen. Looking talented, but painfully inconsistent and they go into hiding when it really matters.
Schick and Diaby have 2 goals and 1 assist in 8 games - combined :lol:
The coach is of course the most important person for a team's success, but there's still a baseline output you can demand from actual top players.

Frimpong, too, is a classic: he adds to his highlight reel going forward, but the guy is a midget that has no clue about defensive positions.

They should be playing for top four, but it's no coincidence or only bad luck that their numbers are bad on both ends of the pitch.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Özcan is already playing through an injury, so I have a feeling the team will soon be complete. :nervous:

At least the US team gained valuable information playing Reyna against Saudi Arabia.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How the hell is that not straight red for Duda? Just lunges into his opponent from behind, in no man's land, no chance to even dream about reaching the ball.. Bizarre..

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Donyen Mallen is too wasteful to be depended on.
This is the type of game you don't take your chances and Koln sneaks an equalizer

avgp_1

Union being decimated by the pace of Frankfurt

Edit: Union's xG difference is shocking. Seems like results are going to catch upto them

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Donyen Mallen is too wasteful to be depended on.
This is the type of game you don't take your chances and Koln sneaks an equalizer
I agree that Dortmund will probably need at least a second goal and Malen really should have scored. But he's barely been back from a longer injury, so I wouldn't turn that into a permanent flaw of his - last year he outperformed his xG a bit and if I remember correctly he was doing well in that department at PSV, too.

A pretty fun game: two attacking teams, aggressive pressing, high tempo, lots of space to be exploited. A few fouls too many though and why Duda is still playing is beyond me - not the first time I've been baffled by Osmers, he's probably the league's worst ref.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I understand why they bought him, but I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be better to just cut Modeste. His strengths are supposed to be his heading and finishing, but there's barely any crosses to him, he's not getting many opportunities in the box. Link up play isn't his strong suit either, at times it can be obvious that Dortmund (try to) move the ball too quickly and he can't keep up with his technique.
He's 8th among the squad in terms of shots per 90 and Moukoko actually has more xG (2.24) than Modeste (1.68), despite only getting late subs (170 minutes playtime vs 596 minutes).

Blackwidow

Kimmich and Müller Corona positive and in quarantine. First Neuer and Goretzka, now this two

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I understand why they bought him, but I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be better to just cut Modeste. His strengths are supposed to be his heading and finishing, but there's barely any crosses to him, he's not getting many opportunities in the box. Link up play isn't his strong suit either, at times it can be obvious that Dortmund (try to) move the ball too quickly and he can't keep up with his technique.
He's 8th among the squad in terms of shots per 90 and Moukoko actually has more xG (2.24) than Modeste (1.68), despite only getting late subs (170 minutes playtime vs 596 minutes).
At this point it is really looking like an unlucky (but due to transfer and injury timing inevitable) mistake for Dortmund that they practically exchanged Tigges and Modeste with Köln and paid good money on top for it. Tigges wouldn't perform worse for them and he is still young. Modeste doesn't perform as expected and hasn't got any transfer value in the future.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
At this point it is really looking like an unlucky (but due to transfer and injury timing inevitable) mistake for Dortmund that they practically exchanged Tigges and Modeste with Köln and paid good money on top for it. Tigges wouldn't perform worse for them and he is still young. Modeste doesn't perform as expected and hasn't got any transfer value in the future.
In hindsight I'd rather have kept Tigges, too. But he's not good enough to start for Dortmund either, so even if they had said no to Modeste they still would have signed someone else. But even now the club has Mouoko (his contract remains an issue though) and Malen/Adeyemi, who ware more strikers than wingers anyway.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
To whomever edits thread titles: can we stop comparing mediocre Bundesliga teams to the most accomplished national team of all time? The disrespect is unreal.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To whomever edits thread titles: can we stop comparing mediocre Bundesliga teams to the most accomplished national team of all time? The disrespect is unreal.
It's a respectful nod to the fact that Brazil have accomplished the biggest meltdown in history.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Gladbach only exists to take points off of Bayern.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
:lol:

Have to agree in this case though: Brazil comparisons should require at least 0-5 at half time, not a measly 4 goals conceded.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
:lol:

Have to agree in this case though: Brazil comparisons should require at least 0-5 at half time, not a measly 4 goals conceded.
With that mindset we would pretend that a mediocre Bundesliga side could accomplish a meltdown as big as the most accomplished national meltdown of all time. The disrespect would be unureal.
In accepting a measly 0-4 score line we pay tribute to Brazil's accomplishment and the fact that no one will ever be able to repeat it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Rough news for Schalke - if losing to 10 men wasn't enough, they also picked up two bad injuries in one game: Van den Berg played every minute since he joined them on loan from Liverpool and while Zalazar was a useful (by Schalke's standards) impact sub. Both won't return until after the WC.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I guess it would only be fitting for him to be finally united with Bellarabi. :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I guess it would only be fitting for him to be finally united with Bellarabi. :lol:
If Bellarabi gets us Tuchel in the end, sticking to him all those years would still have paid off

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
"If" doing some really heavy lifting here.
You wait and see. Keeping Bellarabi was all part of Völler's and Rolfes' super long term plan to sign Tuchel. Suddenly it all makes sense!

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
If Bellarabi gets us Tuchel in the end, sticking to him all those years would still have paid off
What a weird way of spelling Tedesco. I mean, they both start with a T, but...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's going to be Hütter, isn't it?
Him or Hoeneß probably?! Not that either would inspire me with great confidence. They should just let Hradecky do the hiring, he's been the difference maker for them a lot this season. Him having a good feeling could be instrumental for success.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Now apparently Xabi Alonso is favourite to replace Seoane. Seems like Alonso is really interested in the BL, as there have been several rumuors about him in the last two years?