German Football 22/23 | 2. Bundesliga returns | Hamburg vs Schalke 20:30 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How come 2. Bundesliga isn't starting with the first division? Their break was more than long enough, they don't use this spare week to have some grand finale a week after the first division either (not sure they could, because of playoffs to be fair). Wouldn't it be smart to have that week off in April or May, so they could move around fixtures more freely, incase there's some nasty Covid outbreak at a club again?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I hate Bayern as much as everybody but that was no red card I think. And I'm also not sure that de Ligt was active when the offsite goal was taken back. Both very narrow decisions, mind.

JustinC00

Freiburg with a chance to pull within 2 points of Bayern down 0-2 within 30 minutes

edit: down 0-3 in 36 minutes

Last edited:

Blackwidow

How come 2. Bundesliga isn't starting with the first division? Their break was more than long enough, they don't use this spare week to have some grand finale a week after the first division either (not sure they could, because of playoffs to be fair). Wouldn't it be smart to have that week off in April or May, so they could move around fixtures more freely, incase there's some nasty Covid outbreak at a club again?
They already completed the first half of the season and are two matches ahead anyways. And they do not have the problems with Tuesdays and Wednesday occupied by international matches and only Sandhausen, Darmstadt and Nürnburg are in the next round of the Cup.

I love Härringer. For the non-German speakers:
The house is called (Home "Final Whistle". "Senior Pen for Football Pensioners Savers")
Huub Stevens ("Typically: when I have good cards there is an alarm from somewhere!") and Jupp Heynckes ("He just leaves for a short period to save German Football" - "But: Do not forget to be home for dinner at 5 p.m.") are playing cards.

(That caricature has been made before in different shape with e.g. FC Bayern calling for Jupp!)

Interesting first half with some special results...

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Schalke 36 Bundesliga matches without winning away from home. Wow

Apparently this is a new BL record, the old, 35 match one was held by Karlsruhe :nervous:

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
5:1 for Cologne after 38 minutes. I want the break back.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
Turns out Streich was right about todays match - did anyone see the match in full to clarify if the result was matching the performances? Highlight vids leave that unclear - what was going on there?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
5-1 at half time. Looks like Cologne really just needed a break after that first half of the season. Was a bit suicidal to go into a season with that many games (due to their ECL qualification) with that small squad while playing their high intensity style, but on the other hand it was inevitable due to philosophy and budget constraints. Could be the start of a strong ride in the second half, as they are now only playing in the league and should be fine with their squad size.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
5-1 at half time. Looks like Cologne really just needed a break after that first half of the season. Was a bit suicidal to go into a season with that many games (due to their ECL qualification) with that small squad while playing their high intensity style, but on the other hand it was inevitable due to philosophy and budget constraints. Could be the start of a strong ride in the second half, as they are now only playing in the league and should be fine with their squad size.
Or maybe Werder is finally coming down to earth...wouldn't be the first promoted team to start well and then get in trouble later on. They've lost 5 of their last 7 matches and 10 of their 21 points were due to late-game heroics.

But either way this long break seems to have been a lot more disruptive than those typical couple of weeks around Christmas. The likes of Werder, Freiburg, Hertha or Schalke will need to wake up soon with 2 more matches coming up this week.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Or maybe Werder is finally coming down to earth...wouldn't be the first promoted team to start well and then get in trouble later on. They've lost 5 of their last 7 matches and 10 of their 21 points were due to late-game heroics.

But either way this long break seems to have been a lot more disruptive than those typical couple of weeks around Christmas. The likes of Werder, Freiburg, Hertha or Schalke will need to wake up soon with 2 more matches coming up this week.
Schalke had a pretty steong performance, they were unlucky to lose 0-3. Agree on the other teams.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I don't really see it to be honest. None of the results were particularly surprising today. It's just that Köln and Wolfsburg ran up massive scorelines with some ruthless efficiency.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What a weird game that was. I think the first half was actually pretty good and - leaving aside that this wasn't the first time Schlotterbeck and Özcan showed a lack of discipline - Augsburg's first two goals quite (un-)fortunate. But the second half much less so. Ryverson with a pretty decent debut and Haller, too, had a couple of good moments. What has become obvious again is the sillyness of opting to buy Adeyemi in the summer. He wasn't necessarily terrible today and some growing pains were to be expected, signing a kid from the poor man's BL, but adding another "wide striker" to Malen, who seems to have gone back to square one in recent months, just doesn't work out. There's way too little pressure from out wide. Everything has to go through the center and opponents find it way too easy to just shut it down.

Blackwidow

Leverkusen seems now back on track again and on the way up the table. Lead 2:0 against Gladbach away. Soon halftime.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leverkusen seems now back on track again and on the way up the table. Lead 2:0 against Gladbach away. Soon halftime.
I wouldn't go that far. They were always dangerous when they were allowed to sit back and play for counters. Gladbach played right into that without creating much in return. Other opponents won't do the same.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Alonso is doing amazing job so far... It would be very interesting how his coaching career will develope because he is a potential option in the future for 3 of the biggest clubs in football - Bayern, Liverpool and Real Madrid.. there are rumors already that Madrid are watching closely what is happening in Germany..

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Alonso is doing amazing job so far... It would be very interesting how his coaching career will develope because he is a potential option in the future for 3 of the biggest clubs in football - Bayern, Liverpool and Real Madrid.. there are rumors already that Madrid are watching closely what is happening in Germany..

:thinking:

Blackwidow

He came to the team when the team was 17th... now they are 9th, still in Europe and have won the recent matches. That he does not come to Leverkusen and makes the "Flick" is understandable. His youth time friend Arteta did not start with winning streaks from the start on either...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He came to the team when the team was 17th... now they are 9th, still in Europe and have won the recent matches. That he does not come to Leverkusen and makes the "Flick" is understandable. His youth time friend Arteta did not start with winning streaks from the start on either...
He improved them, but that's solid work, nothing I would call amazing so far.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree with this. He reverted to a back 3/5, Possession in their last 4 games: 44.4% vs Stuttgart, 41% vs Köln, 39.9% vs Gladbach, 58.9% vs Union, it's pretty generic "play safe and counter" stuff and decidedly on the "pragmatic" side of the spectrum. Considering the situation in which he took over that may have been borne out of necessity, but as long as he doesn't show something more I don't really see much reason to praise him.

Blackwidow

I agree with this. He reverted to a back 3/5, Possession in their last 4 games: 44.4% vs Stuttgart, 41% vs Köln, 39.9% vs Gladbach, 58.9% vs Union, it's pretty generic "play safe and counter" stuff and decidedly on the "pragmatic" side of the spectrum. Considering the situation in which he took over that may have been borne out of necessity, but as long as he doesn't show something more I don't really see much reason to praise him.
He did that what was necessary. Steady the ship. Everything else will probably need a lot further work.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Having watched it first hand, I think he's done a terrific job so far. Even before thisgame, we were third in the xPts and actual table and we again had more xG than Gladbach. We have so much more control over games now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Having watched it first hand, I think he's done a terrific job so far. Even before thisgame, we were third in the xPts and actual table and we again had more xG than Gladbach. We have so much more control over games now.
In the league he got wins against Schalke, Union, Köln, Stuttgart and Gladbach. Two relegation teams, two more, who played like one before the winter break and then Gladbach today. Two fairly clear defeats against Leipzig and Frankfurt. I don't think it means a lot so far. I'd actually say it's suspiciously reminiscent of Seoane's start and the football I've seen looks fairly basic, so I'm not convinced they'd know what to do when they fall behind or an opponent parks the bus, which is bound to happen sooner or later.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

:thinking:
Im not the biggest fan of Alonso so far but this graphic is so misleading. :lol:

I agree that he hasnt shown a lot so far but its way too early to judge him already. He pretty much admitted in the post Match interview that the current approach is due to the quality of our pace merchants. Lets see what we can do against opponents who sit deep.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In the league he got wins against Schalke, Union, Köln, Stuttgart and Gladbach. Two relegation teams, two more, who played like one before the winter break and then Gladbach today. Two fairly clear defeats against Leipzig and Frankfurt. I don't think it means a lot so far. I'd actually say it's suspiciously reminiscent of Seoane's start and the football I've seen looks fairly basic, so I'm not convinced they'd know what to do when they fall behind or an opponent parks the bus, which is bound to happen sooner or later.
It's nothing like Seoane's start. Seoane overperformed his xPts by a lot in his first start to the season. If anything, Alonso was a bit unlucky in some games but all things considered we won when we deserved to win and vice versa.

Plus the eye test. We're far less chaotic both with and against the ball.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's nothing like Seoane's start. Seoane overperformed his xPts by a lot in his first start to the season. If anything, Alonso was a bit unlucky in some games but all things considered we won when we deserved to win and vice versa.

Plus the eye test. We're far less chaotic both with and against the ball.
Considering how shit the last games under Seoane were it is no wonder that you are now more organized. Alonso definitely is doing the right thing, but he is also doing very basic stuff so far. It's a necessary and important foundation, but the question if he can do am amazing job has not yet been answered. But it will be during the course of the season.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The other matchday mentioned was quite fun as well. :drool:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Reports from English, Spanish and German press about this today. No decision yet, but genuine interest seems quite likely, given the volume of reports. I don't know the player, but he's an 18 year old kid with 10 games for Real Valladolid, which makes me wonder if they actually plan to have Ryerson as a starter and this lad as his understudy. Sounds like a plan that could backfire badly.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Reports from English, Spanish and German press about this today. No decision yet, but genuine interest seems quite likely, given the volume of reports. I don't know the player, but he's an 18 year old kid with 10 games for Real Valladolid, which makes me wonder if they actually plan to have Ryerson as a starter and this lad as his understudy. Sounds like a plan that could backfire badly.
It literally has already backfired. That being said, they could just pick a random seat number each game, play who ever sits on it as RB and they would already have improved their squad in comparison to the start of the season, so Ryerson plus a young talent will be fine I guess.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It literally has already backfired. That being said, they could just pick a random seat number each game, play who ever sits on it as RB and they would already have improved their squad in comparison to the start of the season, so Ryerson plus a young talent will be fine I guess.
Even if what were true, I don't see what one has to do with the other. The club seems to be overhauling both fullback positions completely. What was then has no bearing on the future.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bayern sack's their goalkeeper coach: https://www.transfermarkt.de/fix-fc...ash-nubel-hatte-kritik-geubt/view/news/416948

This adds another facet to the Nübel saga - a few days ago Nübel publicly criticised the lack of communication between Tapalovic and him while he is on loan in Monaco. Apparently there are a lot more issues with him, so he had to go.

This probably also marks the beginning of end of the Neuer era - Tapalovic is a close friend of him and came to Bayern on Neuer's request. Sacking him surely will make Neuer unhappy, but obviously Bayern don't care that much about Neuer's feelings at the moment.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
A fitting end to Schalke's "Hinrunde". I think I've seen this movie before:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Getting the Schalke 04 memes going early.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited: